PDA

View Full Version : Traditional artists, how do you store your work?

Rinzy
01-23-2014, 10:49 PM
rinzy stop making so many threads jesus shut up already

What is your preferred way to store your completed pieces? Some people use flat files, some use portfolios, some use a box in the closet.

Personally, I just acquired an old shipping crate that's just the perfect size for storing my works on paper. I'm planning to add some hinges and a clasp and make it rock

owlette
01-23-2014, 10:55 PM
An old shipping crate... That sounds amazing!

Right now I don't have a lot of storage for anything, including my traditional art. I've been stacking my canvasses in the corner of my bedroom, and smaller art gets stored in a big accordion portfolio I bought several years ago, sorted by year created. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread for some better ideas!

xyloart
01-23-2014, 11:11 PM
In old Anthrocon plastic con bags. Yeah I'm not proud...

QT Melon
01-23-2014, 11:24 PM
I keep my work in old storage bins away from sunlight and ...ugh silverfish.

Rinzy
01-24-2014, 12:01 AM
An old shipping crate... That sounds amazing!

Right now I don't have a lot of storage for anything, including my traditional art. I've been stacking my canvasses in the corner of my bedroom, and smaller art gets stored in a big accordion portfolio I bought several years ago, sorted by year created. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread for some better ideas!

One thing about storing canvases that my professor warned us about is that the frames can warp easily if they're not stored right! I was taught to lean the first face-down on the wall with the long side to the ground, then place the back of the next against that with the short end on the ground, then the next face-to-face on that on the long end and so on. It apparently prevents warping or the canvases pushing into each other and making the canvas itself sag.

I keep my work in old storage bins away from sunlight and ...ugh silverfish.

I had no idea that a silverfish was anything other than a longboarding magazine until just now

Hewge
01-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Chuck it all into a box and wack a sticky note on it which reads: "Hard Drive: B"

Sammacha
01-24-2014, 12:39 AM
Canvas paintings are kept in a box as they are quite large.
Sketches and drafts are kept in a portfolio folder case.
Completed drawings are kept in a special binder, a frame, or between cardboard in a sleeve in a folder so as not to get damaged.
Digital prints are kept in photo sleeves in a book or photo box.
Nothing special so long as they wont get damaged :)

owlette
01-24-2014, 12:41 AM
One thing about storing canvases that my professor warned us about is that the frames can warp easily if they're not stored right! I was taught to lean the first face-down on the wall with the long side to the ground, then place the back of the next against that with the short end on the ground, then the next face-to-face on that on the long end and so on. It apparently prevents warping or the canvases pushing into each other and making the canvas itself sag.

Ooh, thanks for the tip! I'll have to see about organizing them a bit better.

Charrio
01-24-2014, 12:42 AM
I have so many, i have to resort to the box in the garage type method.
Now tho it's mostly digital so that clutter has been cleaned up quite a bit.

Rinzy
01-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Ooh, thanks for the tip! I'll have to see about organizing them a bit better.

honestly, I'd have never even thought of that if my professor hadn't brought it up. I'd recommend putting newsprint between the face-to-face paintings though, if they're not varnished. I've had paintings stick together before, but it may have just been due to high heat >_>

Tiamat
01-24-2014, 12:50 AM
My studios big enough so that they all sit separately in their own dark area.
I also varnish the oils after a period.

Ruggy
01-24-2014, 01:47 PM
I found a flat file on craigslist for super cheap (as flat files go, it was like $50 per file from an architectural firm that was moving shop.) I wouldn't have such a thing if it were new, because they're ridiculously expensive, but if you have the interest in owning a heavy hunk of metal, it's worth checking out local listings for that sort of thing.

Aaand since I had to go from being independent back to living with family, I just stuck the whole shebang in a storage unit that I needed to rent anyway (nowhere to put my dishes, vacuum cleaner, &etc otherwise). I shell out a bit extra for climate control since there's art in there, but it's not bad.

Sonata
01-24-2014, 02:32 PM
i have my old old works stored in folders for safe-keeping. my more recent and better traditional work is mostly stored on my portfolio bag, though its real full now lol

Sax
01-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Some I had framed for an artshow are kept in an oldschool suitcase. Big unframed drawings go in two of those: http://www.magasinsennelier.com/albums/images%20alb/210747_pop.jpg (cartons dessin... don't know the name in english), and smaller drawings go in those, inside binders: http://mister.reede.free.fr/Vocabulary/School_Objects/pochette_plastique.jpg (don't know the name in english either).

Rinzy
01-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Some I had framed for an artshow are kept in an oldschool suitcase. Big unframed drawings go in two of those: http://www.magasinsennelier.com/albums/images%20alb/210747_pop.jpg (cartons dessin... don't know the name in english), and smaller drawings go in those, inside binders: http://mister.reede.free.fr/Vocabulary/School_Objects/pochette_plastique.jpg (don't know the name in english either).

The first one looks like what we would call a portfolio! And in the second one, those are plastic sheet protectors :3

TealMoon
01-24-2014, 06:48 PM
I stuck them in a folder and stacked a bunch of them. :/

Sax
01-25-2014, 04:04 AM
The first one looks like what we would call a portfolio! And in the second one, those are plastic sheet protectors :3

Thank you :3 handy to know since I use like a billion plastic sheet protectors around the house.

Oh I also usually spray a coat or two of this resin-based stuff on charcoal/pencil drawings.

lorenith
01-25-2014, 05:20 AM
For a while I was keeping all my stuff in portfolios stored under the bed.

Then we took in stray and her kitten, neither of whom were reliably using the box yet, so I had to move it all into the closet, and behind the dresser.

I wouldn't recommend either way of storage in any place prone to mold and the like though... I would love to have a flat file some day, or a flat file/table mix. That of course hinges on me also getting a dedicated art room...I can dream right?

Rinzy
01-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Thank you :3 handy to know since I use like a billion plastic sheet protectors around the house.

Oh I also usually spray a coat or two of this resin-based stuff on charcoal/pencil drawings.

Do you mean Fixative (http://www.dickblick.com/products/krylon-1306-workable-matte-fixative/)?

Sax
01-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Ha! this is pretty much the same word in french (fixatif), but I managed not to remember it in either language. :p