PDA

View Full Version : Are you an Archer?

Sammacha
01-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if there was anyone here who was into archery.
I had previously only tried in high school with the crappy cheap equipment and little to no instruction, however I thought it was fun. I had always wanted to try it.

Finally I met someone at work who was also into archery, looking for a nearby place to shoot. Looking into places where we could go prompt me to try it.
I took a 1 hour beginners course in Aug 2013 and have been shooting since early Sept. I do enjoy it and I am hoping to improve more this year. I am also hoping to do a few more 1 hour lessons to get my form right, but for now I have just been practicing on my own. It's a very friendly community and I have received some help from others using the range.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1003170_696549180370799_925947395_n.jpg

This was my second week of shooting from 20 meters. I shot my own and was super upset because I had to go back to the store and buy a new notch >.<
lol I just bought these!!! (and the store is not really close to my house )

Currently I shoot a 35lb bare bow, adventure 2.0 take down re-curve bow. I started with a 30lb and have since upgraded. I actually find the 35lb a bit more comfortable now that I have gotten used to it.
It was very interesting to me how much of a difference the extra 5lb's made and how sore you can get over a long period of time.
In the few months I have been shooting I have found a great improvement up until the point where I believe proper form is what I need to focus on more. A small change in my stance can make a big difference and I can defiantly see it. Right now I am using proper form but repeating that is a necessity and harder then you may think.

It's a lot of fun, and I recommend anyone that wanted to try it in the past do so, its not really expensive to try, or even drop in at most ranges. But its something I would say is fairly different from what most people do in their day to day lives. (at least where I live). I think many people believe what I once did, that's its uncommon and hard to find. Others just don't have the patience for it, some don't enjoy it either and that's fine.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t1/1479149_10153509899945597_740201372_n.jpg

This was me shooting at a 6" plate from 35 meters ( about 115 feet ) at an outdoor range a few months ago. I dont have an updated picture sorry. Its been 2 months since I have been able to go to the range due to the weather.

I use 2 types of arrows, both carbon, these are the cheaper of the 2 with the plastic fetching. I much prefer my ICS Hunter juniors over these arrows. I use the cheaper ones when I go to a new distance so I don't lose my good ones, lol.
Anyways, hoping to find more like minded people
:)

Rory
01-21-2014, 09:59 PM
I've tried it out a few times, along with rifle sharpshooting (related, but not really). I think it's a pretty awesome hobby to have, and something I could actually pick up someday. Are you familiar with Kyudo at all, traditional Japanese archery? Back when I was like 16 and doing some martial arts and Zen meditation practice, my instructor's father happened to have written a book called One Arrow, One Life: Zen, Archery, Enlightenment, so he had me read it and try it out. I moved not too long after that, unfortunately, but it was fascinating.

Sammacha
01-21-2014, 10:16 PM
I've tried it out a few times, along with rifle sharpshooting (related, but not really). I think it's a pretty awesome hobby to have, and something I could actually pick up someday. Are you familiar with Kyudo at all, traditional Japanese archery? Back when I was like 16 and doing some martial arts and Zen meditation practice, my instructor's father happened to have written a book called One Arrow, One Life: Zen, Archery, Enlightenment, so he had me read it and try it out. I moved not too long after that, unfortunately, but it was fascinating.

Hmm well I don't actually do any shooting with gun or anything, might try it. However my friend who does both shooting and recently picked up archery actually said it helped his shooting. Not just the focus and muscle memory but just little things like keeping your stance until the target is missed. Though I think he does several kinds of shooting including skeet shooting, I'm not sure its the same for you. I have no idea when it come to that kind of thing other then just basics of a hand gun.

I do know Kyudo, though I have never tried. To my knowledge the main difference is that your left hand holds the bow and the your right hand draws the string. That may have changed but this was the traditional way. Also the bow is much larger and of a different style.
Other then that I am assuming the concept is quite similar, where you learn good form, concentration and the motion of aim, draw, anchor, release.
Your friends dad must have been a very interesting guy to have written such books. Archery to some is a great for of meditation. You really need to be able to concentrate and know your body ie: muscle memory and aim point.
I enjoy shooting bare bow for some of these reasons, as I was comparing to my friend who uses a compound but is also a beginner. No matter how much time he is away form archery his sight is set (unless he moves it). He still aims that at the center of the target and the rest of his form is what he concentrates on. For me, I dont have a sight, I need to remember where to aim based on the distance I am shooting at. Basically a mental image of where to point my arrow before I release.

I think that if you had enjoyed it in the past it might be interesting to look into sometime in the future. I'm very much enjoying it now but much like all my other hobbies I will eventually put it away to try something new but I will always go back to it.

RainWizard
01-23-2014, 07:24 PM
I'd love to try archery, but I've never really looked into it.

But, I played Zelda on the Wii, that counts...right? Right? :V

Sammacha
01-23-2014, 07:32 PM
I'd love to try archery, but I've never really looked into it.

But, I played Zelda on the Wii, that counts...right? Right? :V

You should look into it, its quite different from playing on the wii

Tica
01-23-2014, 09:13 PM
I've had my own bow and arrows since, like, middle school, but I haven't really been able to go out and shoot since college. I either have lived with my equipment in storage, or have lived in a place where there's no ranges or fields with hay bales available for target practice...

I'd love to get back into it sometime but I don't see it happening in the near future.

EDIT

I have a recurve. I don't remember the poundage, but it's low since it's something that teenage me handled all right.

Sammacha
01-23-2014, 09:42 PM
I've had my own bow and arrows since, like, middle school, but I haven't really been able to go out and shoot since college. I either have lived with my equipment in storage, or have lived in a place where there's no ranges or fields with hay bales available for target practice...

I'd love to get back into it sometime but I don't see it happening in the near future.

EDIT

I have a recurve. I don't remember the poundage, but it's low since it's something that teenage me handled all right.

That's cool, its such a shame when you have something you want to use but no where to use it. However have you considered buying a hamster wood chip bail thing? They aren't expensive and actually work fairly well as a target butt. They can be found in pet shops usually for under $50 (and that's a really big bail).

I know that college is huge time burden though :( , good luck btw

I think the average starting weight is about 20-25lb's, but it depends on your strength, maybe thats what you had?

Chuchi
01-24-2014, 12:14 AM
I like archery, of the traditional sorts. Interested in making my own bow, as well, I currently have wood 'curing' for that process. I don't do any like... competitive shoots or anything, just for a hobby. :3

Batty Krueger
01-24-2014, 04:03 AM
My best friend is, I beleive everything he uses is by hoyt.

SirCoffeecup
01-24-2014, 08:12 PM
My brother was into archery and it got me interested in it as well. A great sport. I always just borrowed his stuff, which were pretty good.
A hunting bow and a recurve bow. I preferred the hunting one. Was more powerful and felt better. Was easier to aim too when it took some of the force away.

Sammacha
01-24-2014, 08:35 PM
I like archery, of the traditional sorts. Interested in making my own bow, as well, I currently have wood 'curing' for that process. I don't do any like... competitive shoots or anything, just for a hobby. :3
That would be cool , my friend made a bow, but I have no such skills lol.

My best friend is, I beleive everything he uses is by hoyt.
Thats cool, I dont know a lot about the brands at the moment

My brother was into archery and it got me interested in it as well. A great sport. I always just borrowed his stuff, which were pretty good.
A hunting bow and a recurve bow. I preferred the hunting one. Was more powerful and felt better. Was easier to aim too when it took some of the force away.

Do you mean a compound bow? Where the poundage you hold back at full draw is greatly reduced one you hit the wall. Its made to be easy to hold at full and of course the technology makes it stronger.
I have shot a traditional hunting bow with a poundage of 65lb's and I can certainly say I could defiantly feel the strain on my shoulder after that lol

Dspki
01-24-2014, 08:47 PM
I am curious in learning about archery but I don't know of anything to practice with. I don't have many trees at my house and my fences are deteriorating at best. I'd be afraid if I took a whack at it, it'll all come falling down. D:

I see those little junior archery sets at my sporting goods store but I dunno if they're good. They're alright for my size (I'm kinda short, 5'2") but I dunno if they would break easily or not. I'm not even sure where to look. Any advice for beginners?

SirCoffeecup
01-24-2014, 08:53 PM
Ah yes, a compound bow. I'm not too familiar with the archery terminology in English.
I can't quite remember the pounds in it. Less than 80 I think.

Now if you feel it on your shoulder, I think you're doing it wrong. It ought to be the back doing the work, am I right?

Sammacha
01-24-2014, 09:13 PM
I am curious in learning about archery but I don't know of anything to practice with. I don't have many trees at my house and my fences are deteriorating at best. I'd be afraid if I took a whack at it, it'll all come falling down. D:

I see those little junior archery sets at my sporting goods store but I dunno if they're good. They're alright for my size (I'm kinda short, 5'2") but I dunno if they would break easily or not. I'm not even sure where to look. Any advice for beginners?

I would also recommend this to you

That's cool, its such a shame when you have something you want to use but no where to use it. However have you considered buying a hamster wood chip bail thing? They aren't expensive and actually work fairly well as a target butt. They can be found in pet shops usually for under $50 (and that's a really big bail).
I know if I had a terrible stance my regular bow would cause strain but it does not. 65lb is simply too much for me at this time to use constantly without being a compound bow.

I know that college is huge time burden though :( , good luck btw

I think the average starting weight is about 20-25lb's, but it depends on your strength, maybe thats what you had?

I would not recommend a large store junior archer set, they usually aren't really very good, they are, well cheap. I would recommend going to a specialty store as a basic bow, with good equipment isn't at all as expensive as one might think. They make bows of all sizes, you could start with a basic take down bow, which allows you to upgrade later on with improvement.

Ah yes, a compound bow. I'm not too familiar with the archery terminology in English.
I can't quite remember the pounds in it. Less than 80 I think.

Now if you feel it on your shoulder, I think you're doing it wrong. It ought to be the back doing the work, am I right?

Well yes the pain is in the back, but I believe its a shoulder thing. Sadly I have forgotten the name of the actual muscle or I would know if the pain I was feeling was the back under/at the shoulder blade ( I think its like a trapezoid shape muscle as well), and believe it or not shoulder strain is a very common injury when dealing with bow and arrow.
http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/bowdoc/shoulder/
And yes, I was probably doing it wrong (after the first 2 sets of arrows), at such a high poundage continuous use causes a huge strain, especially when you are not used to it. This is why I comfortably shoot a 35 or 40 lb and not a 60lb. I also have no need for it and was just trying it out. It's fine for a bit but after shooting X amount of arrows it gets very tiring. This happens to most people shooting high pound traditional bows, at least amongst the group of people I talk to.
I think it also depends on which of your muscle are stronger, maybe I have a stronger back muscle compared to my shoulder which also suffered a rotator cuff injury?

Rory
01-24-2014, 09:39 PM
I do know Kyudo, though I have never tried. To my knowledge the main difference is that your left hand holds the bow and the your right hand draws the string. That may have changed but this was the traditional way. Also the bow is much larger and of a different style.
Other then that I am assuming the concept is quite similar, where you learn good form, concentration and the motion of aim, draw, anchor, release.
Your friends dad must have been a very interesting guy to have written such books. Archery to some is a great for of meditation. You really need to be able to concentrate and know your body ie: muscle memory and aim point.

I think that if you had enjoyed it in the past it might be interesting to look into sometime in the future. I'm very much enjoying it now but much like all my other hobbies I will eventually put it away to try something new but I will always go back to it.

Yes, the left hand holding the bow is what I experienced, although if one seriously approaches Kyudo, it's awhile until you even take your first shot. It's all about posture, form, breathing, and a state of zen through archery. Discipline in all facets, basically.

Oh he was! I met the guy because his dad is also a professor at the big state university (UW-Madison), which is how I found him in the first place; he was running them out of a university building for anyone interested. I feel a bit ashamed because my own university had an archery club/team and I was friends with people in it, but.. they had a "reputation" and I never bothered to try it out. Oh well, when you want to do something, you will find a way. :)

Sammacha
01-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Yes, the left hand holding the bow is what I experienced, although if one seriously approaches Kyudo, it's awhile until you even take your first shot. It's all about posture, form, breathing, and a state of zen through archery. Discipline in all facets, basically.

Oh he was! I met the guy because his dad is also a professor at the big state university (UW-Madison), which is how I found him in the first place; he was running them out of a university building for anyone interested. I feel a bit ashamed because my own university had an archery club/team and I was friends with people in it, but.. they had a "reputation" and I never bothered to try it out. Oh well, when you want to do something, you will find a way. :)

Yes I feel the overall approach to it is different, but its a cultural thing imo.
The form and breathing is a very important aspect and I've stood on the field doing nothing. I probably look silly to most people but there are so many different exercises that you can do these days. Hard to know which is best.
One of the best tips I was given was, repeat your form even when you miss. Unless of course you are missing the entire butt, if so move closer.
If you have consistent form, your arrows will be consistent. Meaning, learn your form, group your arrows then concentrate on hitting the bulls eye. When you can hit the center of the target 90% or more that's when you start going for the distance.
I think that this is one thing that archery no matter what style has in common.

Xolani
01-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Longboooooow... :3

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bc29IUGIUAERJmF.jpg

I used to get a lot more opportunity to practice than I do now, but that's one of my two bows. (if the pic will even work?)

Littlerock
01-28-2014, 09:44 PM
I shot some back in highschool, and I'd love to start up again, but there's nowhere within walking distance that I can practice (without getting in trouble). I own a Jeffrey 44magnum compound, with, iirc, a 75 poundage pull and 25 letoff, and a left-handed 30-ish pound pull fiberglass recurve I found in somebody's trash. I can't pull the Jeffrey back more than a few inches, and even if I do get the muscle to in the future, it'll likely damage my shoulder, THANKS OBAMA.

I practice pulling lefty on the recurve in my basement sometimes, but not too often.

Sammacha
01-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Longboooooow... :3

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bc29IUGIUAERJmF.jpg

I used to get a lot more opportunity to practice than I do now, but that's one of my two bows. (if the pic will even work?)

Dude I really like the longbow, I want to get one but I feel its something that will come in the future as its more expensive and I heard it's harder to use if you can't already shoot a bow. Either way its an investment I will make sometime, but for now recurve and target shooting. Gotta practice!

I shot some back in highschool, and I'd love to start up again, but there's nowhere within walking distance that I can practice (without getting in trouble). I own a Jeffrey 44magnum compound, with, iirc, a 75 poundage pull and 25 letoff, and a left-handed 30-ish pound pull fiberglass recurve I found in somebody's trash. I can't pull the Jeffrey back more than a few inches, and even if I do get the muscle to in the future, it'll likely damage my shoulder, THANKS OBAMA.

I practice pulling lefty on the recurve in my basement sometimes, but not too often.

Really? no where at all? That sucks man, there's gotta be some place >.<

Ah... I also have a lefty bow, my uncle left it when he passed away. I really wanted to do archery so I took it, its also a 75lb bow. I dont have trouble pulling it back to the wall, I think it's just practice or do you have kind of injury already? I know someone at the range who has an injured shoulder so he wont use a box heavier then 40lb's even though pulling it is not the issue.

Littlerock
01-29-2014, 02:20 AM
Really? no where at all? That sucks man, there's gotta be some place >.<

Ah... I also have a lefty bow, my uncle left it when he passed away. I really wanted to do archery so I took it, its also a 75lb bow. I dont have trouble pulling it back to the wall, I think it's just practice or do you have kind of injury already? I know someone at the range who has an injured shoulder so he wont use a box heavier then 40lb's even though pulling it is not the issue.

I'd just use my own back yard if it weren't locally illegal, and the closest range is 20 odd miles away.

I'm kinda little, 70's a lot of weight for me, and my joints tend to partially dislocate pretty easily (and totally dislocate rarely, but wow it still smarts), and I've had my shoulders go out from less, so it's a risk I'm not keen on taking. ;v; My luck I'd be able to pull past it and keep my shoulder in, and my elbow would go out instead, haha. My tennis backhand is still rough from the last time that happened.

Sammacha
01-29-2014, 02:35 AM
I'd just use my own back yard if it weren't locally illegal, and the closest range is 20 odd miles away.

I'm kinda little, 70's a lot of weight for me, and my joints tend to partially dislocate pretty easily (and totally dislocate rarely, but wow it still smarts), and I've had my shoulders go out from less, so it's a risk I'm not keen on taking. ;v; My luck I'd be able to pull past it and keep my shoulder in, and my elbow would go out instead, haha. My tennis backhand is still rough from the last time that happened.

Aww that is kinda far, maybe you could just drop in sometime.
too bad you cant use it in the back yard :(
I can't really do it in my yard either, mainly due to the fact that its too small over people reporting me.
I understand your injury as I was an avid badminton player, lost my partner to college though :( haven't played for such a long time.
Have you tried swimming for shoulders and back? I found it really helped with recovery? (rotators cuff injury).
at least it has a wall, so you could always get a lighter compound bow that holds at 25lb's which can feel like a childs toy lol, but yeah, you would have to want to get into archery more and drive to the range to even think about buying one. Too bad, maybe another time.

Scifox
02-25-2014, 03:54 AM
My best friend and I are both archers. Both enjoy shooting our English Longbows when we can.

Carnau
02-25-2014, 03:27 PM
All I can say is that I did take an archery class when I was 14, it was fun but a lot harder than it looks. Much respect to you archers!

Sammacha
02-26-2014, 03:08 AM
My best friend and I are both archers. Both enjoy shooting our English Longbows when we can.
Dude thats awesome, I really like the longbow but I think I need more practice with the re-curve before I switch, its a bit harder to use correct?

All I can say is that I did take an archery class when I was 14, it was fun but a lot harder than it looks. Much respect to you archers!
It is, it does take quite a bit of patience and practice though.

Dmitry
03-23-2014, 05:14 PM
I love archery! I grew up in a big hunting family, so I had a compound bow by 12 or 14. I'm not an amazing shot with a compound because I always manage to screw up my sights. However, I did get a 45lb or 55lb recurve last year for my birthday and I've been shooting it. I found that, without sights, I'm a much better shot! I still need to build up some strength to shoot it a lot, but it's a ton of fun. I need to find a place to go shoot more often.

Saga
03-23-2014, 06:05 PM
well this one time my friend who was an eagle scout had a bow and me and another guy took it and shot it up in the air while he was inside

When he came back out he didnt know and they landed around him
Nobody died so I'd say it was a successful evening