PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Machine Suggestions?

Demu
08-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Hey there!

I was wondering if any of you could possibly suggest a good sewing machine? I'd like to invest in a proper machine that'll last me awhile and is easily programmable. I'm not really experienced with them so please share your knowledge! I'd truly appreciate it. <3

Oh! And would an industrial sewing machine be better than a normal home one? We'll be working with minky, faux fur, and regular materials like polyester, fleece, and other common fabrics.

BudgieBin
08-08-2012, 08:18 PM
What exactly are you trying to do?

Singer brand is something I'd consider "go-to", but I've heard that Brother makes good machines too. Do you need embroidery/pattern capability, or do you just want an old fashioned manual?

Industrial is almost always better in every case I've ever experienced, but if you buy a good quality "home" machine and take good care of it (periodic greasing, retiming etc) then it should last you a good long while.

Theresa
08-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Not to pry, but what's your budget? If there's a specific price range you have, it'll be easier to suggest good machines that fit your needs.

Demu
08-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Budget is around $300 USD or so. :> But it's a flexible budget.

- - - Updated - - -

What exactly are you trying to do?

Singer brand is something I'd consider "go-to", but I've heard that Brother makes good machines too. Do you need embroidery/pattern capability, or do you just want an old fashioned manual?

Industrial is almost always better in every case I've ever experienced, but if you buy a good quality "home" machine and take good care of it (periodic greasing, retiming etc) then it should last you a good long while.

Embroidery would be a plus. But it isn't necessary. Patterns are good too of course!

And hmm.. industrial seems to be SOMEWHAT out of our budget, but we're considering it.

Viergacht
11-07-2012, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't recommend Brother as a brand, they've really gone downhill recently. Janome makes pretty decent, inexpensive starter machines.

Kite
11-08-2012, 09:43 PM
I don't much of anything about sewing machines. But if it means anything, I just sold my Singer and I recommend the brand wholeheartedly. I never had any problems with it what-so-ever. I got it second hand, used it for a few years, and now my friend, it's new owner, has already been enjoying it!

Viergacht
11-10-2012, 10:57 PM
The older Singers are great - I have one from 1976 and it's a workhorse. The newer ones seem to get brought in for repairs quite a bit, though.

You can probably find a decent machine second-hand.

iwheel
10-08-2015, 04:44 AM
I suggest you to visit the iwheel.ir
it has good sewing machine:thumbsup:

CA3
10-09-2015, 06:04 PM
If you're able to use a standard sewing machine, the best I could suggest you do is check out used goods shops for the older solid metal Singer sewing machines. It's always surprised me to see how many thrift shops, salvation army stores and the like I've gone into that had them available for sale at very reasonable prices. I imagine with a lot of women in their 80's and up dropping, you should see the market flooded with them. Even if they need a little repair and care, you could have yourself some of the best sewing machines out there. As for the recently made sewing machines, when my mother asks me to make her an aluminum components because the plastic warps from the machine's heat, it's a sign that there's been some serious compromises in quality.

Yarnix
12-01-2016, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure about that programming bit, but I find that old sewing machines are very good at sewing through thick material, much unlike their newer young sewing machine grandchildren. If thick material is something you're going to be doing a lot with, I recommend old models, their built like concrete and last a long time. See if an older relative like a grandma or grandpa has one lying around or find one in a second hand store.
I hope I somewhat helped with the very little I could offer :)