PDA

View Full Version : 1cc

Infestissumam
01-21-2014, 06:53 PM
The act of clearing an arcade or arcade-style console game without continuing is known as a 1CC (one credit clear). Have you ever attempted this? I got close once in the first Touhou game, but alas, I have not yet cleared a game in one go with no continues.

Lucy Bones
01-21-2014, 06:56 PM
The first Tekken Tag. Wailed on that shit when the local arcade had it.

Vae
01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
I've beaten Life Force, Contra, and Super C a few times without dying.
Not so much because I was intentionally trying to do a "1cc run," but just because dying in those games is fucking painful. Especially Lifeforce. (Mai speeds. ;-;)

Lucy Bones
01-21-2014, 07:10 PM
When it comes to console ports of fighting games, there's plenty of ones I've beaten on hardest difficulty without using continues.

sassySloth
01-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Gunstar Super Heroes (Hard mode)

I didn't become 'hardcore' until last year so I'm working on more.

sassySloth
01-21-2014, 07:27 PM
So Darkstalkers III would be another one. Huitzel and Felicia.Oh shit me too. But with B.B. Hood.

Infestissumam
01-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Oh yeah, fighters. I don't play them that often, but I've gone through all the World Heroes games with no continues.

Rory
01-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Gunstar Heroes, with two players; I was Blue. Did this during college with a roommate, we got it down pat and made it through in just one life eventually. Way too much fun, and was a great challenge to take on during winter break.

Tycho
01-21-2014, 08:09 PM
I once managed a 1cc on the arcade version of Soul Edge, using Rock. Dat reach tho. The arcade operator had jacked up the machine's difficulty supposedly, too. Most anything Cervantes did would chop out most of a health bar. Souledge damn near OHKO'd with a throw/grab.

Dezenerate
01-21-2014, 08:27 PM
The first Tekken Tag. Wailed on that shit when the local arcade had it.

Same here, that game was fun as hell, I couldn't resist trying it in one go.

Rilvor
01-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Best I've ever done is get to stage 36 of Galaga on one quarter. I didn't have the money to play much arcade as a kid, and now that I'm an adult gaming has moved on and I am playing other things.

Edit: I remember beating Soul Calibur and SC2 with Lizardman and Astaroth respectively, actually.

Toshabi
01-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Metal Slug. All of them.

Tycho
01-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Best I've ever done is get to stage 36 of Galaga on one quarter. I didn't have the money to play much arcade as a kid, and now that I'm an adult gaming has moved on and I am playing other things.

Edit: I remember beating Soul Calibur and SC2 with Lizardman and Astaroth respectively, actually.

Astaroth was the first character I cleared SC2 with (not a 1cc though). He's a great character for much the same reason Rock was - insane reach and power. As long as you keep the initiative with characters like that, you are pretty much unstoppable. It's pretty easy to zone enemies with Astaroth and dictate battles.

Metal Slug. All of them.

ffffffffffffffffff

Vae
01-22-2014, 01:49 AM
Do Legendary Wings and Gyruss also count as "arcade style games"?
Because I've also beat those without dying, now that I'm thinking about it and downloading their music.

Autumnstorm
01-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Ikaruga (the Xbox 360 release) reignited my love for the genre. I played it so much for the first week I had it and eventually managed to grab myself the 1cc achievement. I don't usually care much for achievement systems, but that really made my day.

I'm eagerly awaiting the PC release after it passed Steam Greenlight late last year. :D

Vae
01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Also, Dragon Spirit.
On the easy / gold dragon mode, and normal / blue dragon.

Riff
01-23-2014, 12:18 AM
I really love Touhou, and I'm currently trying to 1cc all of the games. I'm going in order and clearing them once on normal and then on hard. I'm working at Touhou 10 right now, so the ones I've 1cc'd are
Highly Responsive to Prayers
Story of Eastern Wonderland
Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream
Lotus Land Story
Mystic Square
The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Perfect Cherry Blossom
Immaterial and Missing Power
Imperishable Night
Phantasmagoria of Flower View
Shoot the Bullet

Once you manage to memorize the general layout(?) of each game, it becomes surprisingly easy.

I've thought about maybe trying to 1cc some Tekken games after I'm done with Touhou? But I don't really know, it takes time since I tend to get caught up in other things.

Rilvor
01-23-2014, 03:22 AM
You don't have to have played them in the arcade. Like if you bought Ikaruga on Gamecube or something, that counts too. Or did you just stop playing arcade style games in general even console ports/exclusives?
I just don't pay much attention to them, considering how much is vying for my attention. I've always been kind of an old-school arcade kind of guy, not playing them on a cabinet feels odd. I had the luck last year to run across an old working Area 51 game; It was a blast, funny how I remember it being hard as a kid but it was a cakewalk as an adult.

Infestissumam
01-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Out of curiosity, would you guys like to begin having 1CC contests on this thread? It'd be an interesting challenge.

sassySloth
01-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Out of curiosity, would you guys like to begin having 1CC contests on this thread? It'd be an interesting challenge.Like who can pull off the 1CC first or highest score? ?

sassySloth
01-23-2014, 09:14 PM
That depends because most posts here are fighters. I'm a shooter guy.http://eduncovered.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/nicholas-cage-you-dont-say.jpg

I might be game for either. Depending on the rules.

Percy
01-24-2014, 12:10 AM
...I need to play more arcade games. I don't even remember if I've done any 1ccs in any game.

...I also wish there were any arcades nearby. :c

Tycho
01-24-2014, 12:40 AM
...I need to play more arcade games. I don't even remember if I've done any 1ccs in any game.

...I also wish there were any arcades nearby. :c

It seriously seems like arcades are vanishing, all over the place. Can't even find a pinball machine these days. Makes me a little sad. Also, the few machines (both video cabinets and pinball tables) I HAVE seen have ridiculous prices per play these days. A quarter won't get you squat anymore.

Percy
01-24-2014, 12:52 AM
It seriously seems like arcades are vanishing, all over the place. Can't even find a pinball machine these days. Makes me a little sad. Also, the few machines (both video cabinets and pinball tables) I HAVE seen have ridiculous prices per play these days. A quarter won't get you squat anymore.
The one arcade closest to my home really dwindled in quality. They used to have plenty of good games to play, now it's majority redemption games. They even removed the one redemption game I was good at, making the place not even worth going to anymore.

There is an arcade in the town over that I'm debating on going to, they have a lot of vintage arcade games/pinball machines. It's a bit far though, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth the long trip.

Tycho
01-24-2014, 01:39 AM
The one arcade closest to my home really dwindled in quality. They used to have plenty of good games to play, now it's majority redemption games. They even removed the one redemption game I was good at, making the place not even worth going to anymore.

There is an arcade in the town over that I'm debating on going to, they have a lot of vintage arcade games/pinball machines. It's a bit far though, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth the long trip.

Here in North Dakota where I go to college, there's a little pizza place/arcade thing and they have no good games. A few weird ticket games, some other strange things, and a Terminator Salvation railshooter game (and boy howdy is it expensive). I think they might have had one or two music-rhythm type games but no traditional game cabinets, no pinball, not even an airhockey table. It's really disappointing.

Krespo
01-24-2014, 01:46 AM
The only arcade machine I had access to was one filled with Sega games. I'd play Sonic 1, 2, or Golden Axe while waiting for the food to be ready (it was a takeaway) so I didnt have the time to die. Also probably where I became interested in speedrunning.

Percy
01-24-2014, 02:14 AM
I think they might have had one or two music-rhythm type games but no traditional game cabinets, no pinball, not even an airhockey table. It's really disappointing.
I can appreciate the rhythm games, but the arcade I've mentioned pretty much got rid of any traditional game cabinet it had. I remember it had a Pacman/Galaga cabinet a while back, as well as a few other older, fun games. Even had a few more rhythm games as well, but it now only has the generic poorly-maintained DDR Extreme machine.

I suppose since they're not only running an arcade, but also a mini-golf course, go-karts, and other outdoor stuff, they deprioritized the arcade. It's just not fun anymore.

Tycho
01-24-2014, 02:43 AM
I can appreciate the rhythm games, but the arcade I've mentioned pretty much got rid of any traditional game cabinet it had. I remember it had a Pacman/Galaga cabinet a while back, as well as a few other older, fun games. Even had a few more rhythm games as well, but it now only has the generic poorly-maintained DDR Extreme machine.

I suppose since they're not only running an arcade, but also a mini-golf course, go-karts, and other outdoor stuff, they deprioritized the arcade. It's just not fun anymore.

Man, if I were running that kind of business I would be damn sure to have a nice arcade. Have a couple cabinets running classic shmups (Galaga is always a great choice, alternately Asteroids or Millipede are both great too), a good fighting game cabinet (Everyone loves SoulCalibur or Tekken cabinets, and Capcom fighters are immensely popular too), and a nice pinball machine. Maybe throw in an old NBA Jam cabinet, a TMNT cabinet (that was an awesome arcade game) and a NeoGeo cabinet with Metal Slug, KoF and Bust-a-Move.

EDIT: Maybe a Cruisin' USA or Cruisin' the World setup too, but those things are bulky as hell.

Percy
01-24-2014, 03:00 AM
Man, if I were running that kind of business I would be damn sure to have a nice arcade. Have a couple cabinets running classic shmups (Galaga is always a great choice, alternately Asteroids or Millipede are both great too), a good fighting game cabinet (Everyone loves SoulCalibur or Tekken cabinets, and Capcom fighters are immensely popular too), and a nice pinball machine. Maybe throw in an old NBA Jam cabinet, a TMNT cabinet (that was an awesome arcade game) and a NeoGeo cabinet with Metal Slug, KoF and Bust-a-Move.

EDIT: Maybe a Cruisin' USA or Cruisin' the World setup too, but those things are bulky as hell.
Unfortunately I think they've pretty much set their target audience to kids above all else. I'd say it's roughly 80% redemption games that kids with short attention spans can enjoy.

There's an awesome arcade with tons of great games near the Chicago area, but unfortunately it's just too far away. I would love to go there again some time... it's an arcade done right.

sassySloth
01-27-2014, 09:50 AM
I go to a bunch of shooter meets in my town. They're like "indie arcades" (if you can possibly get anymore indie than an arcade already). These people are SERIOUS. I've heard of some nearby that actually imported a Battle Garegga Cabinet and even got their hands on one for Mushihimesama. Those shits cost an arm, two legs, and a fat ass.SUGOI!

...I also wish there were any arcades nearby. :c You're probably best off getting into the MAME game. It's a great emulation program that you can play almost any arcade game on.

sassySloth
04-13-2014, 11:38 AM
EDIT: No, I need some fanfare. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TplCOCzVVT8) I'm proud tonight.You deserve it. *raucus applause and yelling*

sassySloth
04-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Was playing rather fucking hard that day. I restarted each time I died. Took a lot of breaks.That's how it goes. Keeping it ludicrously real.