PDA

View Full Version : [FORUM] Posts frozen.

Sinjo
08-08-2012, 10:06 AM
My posts have been stuck at 172 for about two days now. At first I thought posts were going removed, but after posting and not seeing it go up, I know it's not.

Judicant
08-08-2012, 10:20 AM
I believe recently we did some tweaking to how the post counter works. For reference:

We were looking into this and we have installed a mod that will make posts from here on out that are under 225 characters not bump up post count. Posts over 225 characters do bump up post counts.

This will hopefully help cut down on low content posting and encourage users who care for post counts and such to try to put more effort into posting on the forums, instead of racing to reply to everything as fast as they can and such.

[...]

Disabling the post count in certain sections can be done and already is applied to our Forum Activities section.

Most of your posts seem very short, so without actually counting how many characters you've posted in them I'd say the bolded reason is why your post count isn't rising.

Sinjo
08-08-2012, 12:27 PM
I believe recently we did some tweaking to how the post counter works. For reference:

Most of your posts seem very short, so without actually counting how many characters you've posted in them I'd say the bolded reason is why your post count isn't rising.

It's not rising at all. Long or short.

I wasn't aware the forum had a character limit on how much counts as a post.

Side note: The average size of my posts hasn't changed.

Eminoxic
08-08-2012, 02:34 PM
It's not rising at all. Long or short.

I wasn't aware the forum had a character limit on how much counts as a post.

Side note: The average size of my posts hasn't changed.

I'm looking at all your recent posts and none of them hit the 225 mark. We may lower this depending on how much feedback we get from it. The intention is to just stop users that are post count power leveling. While we do not see post count as something that makes the member, we are trying to avoid feeding them, because then they will continue to make small low content posts. I'm not saying you are, I'm saying that's what some people do.

Sinjo
08-08-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm looking at all your recent posts and none of them hit the 225 mark. We may lower this depending on how much feedback we get from it. The intention is to just stop users that are post count power leveling. While we do not see post count as something that makes the member, we are trying to avoid feeding them, because then they will continue to make small low content posts. I'm not saying you are, I'm saying that's what some people do.

that's odd. Some of my smaller posts were counted and some were not. Maybe I'm just exaggerating.

Though I should point out that one of my short posts was removed, I'm unsure why if it wouldn't even count.

Taw
08-08-2012, 08:27 PM
that's odd. Some of my smaller posts were counted and some were not. Maybe I'm just exaggerating.

Though I should point out that one of my short posts was removed, I'm unsure why if it wouldn't even count.

Posts that are under 225 characters before we implemented this onto the forums are not affected by the change. Any posts made after we implemented it are checked to see if it meets the character requirements for a post now though.

Sinjo
08-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Ah, I still think you can lower it a bit. But that's just me. I shouldn't have to sit here and do what I'm doing right now to elongate a paragraph that doesn't need to be this long in order to meet a post count that I will likely not even meet by the end of it. It's sort of backwards to try and force people to say more than what needs to be said. Especially if something comes under the limit and says all that needs to be said in reply.

Taw
08-09-2012, 01:09 AM
Ah, I still think you can lower it a bit. But that's just me. I shouldn't have to sit here and do what I'm doing right now to elongate a paragraph that doesn't need to be this long in order to meet a post count that I will likely not even meet by the end of it. It's sort of backwards to try and force people to say more than what needs to be said. Especially if something comes under the limit and says all that needs to be said in reply.

You aren't required to make lengthy posts - it's to hopefully cut down on individuals who may post a lot of low content posts or posts with little content for the purpose to raise their post count. We may tweak the number of characters in the future however.

Sinjo
08-09-2012, 01:45 AM
You aren't required to make lengthy posts - it's to hopefully cut down on individuals who may post a lot of low content posts or posts with little content for the purpose to raise their post count. We may tweak the number of characters in the future however.

Well, some one could go their entire forum career making averaging 200 character posts and they'd never have any posts. that's my only reasoning.

Taw
08-09-2012, 02:19 AM
I have now lowered the character count from 225 to 150. That's equivalent to the following:

This is a test sentence of one hundred and fifty characters! That's almost as many characters as there are original Pokemon, but they had one more! :3

Ibuuyk
08-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I have now lowered the character count from 225 to 150. That's equivalent to the following:

You should totally make it 151 characters, just for teh lulz :V

Sinjo
08-09-2012, 10:58 AM

That looks a bit better to me. A bit more well rounded to what the average post on the forum looks like.

Oh, and there was supposed to be 190 original pokemon but they had to change it due to the limits of the cartridge.

Matt
08-09-2012, 01:22 PM
I maybe should have posted this earlier on the "should posts count" poll, but I'm a big fan of the length-based post-count idea. I prefer the 225 threshold to the 150, but then again I'd remove my own post-count if I could. In either case, this seems like a better compromise between people who don't care for post-counts and people who do than simply eliminating certain forums from the number altogether.

Yay.

Eminoxic
08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
I maybe should have posted this earlier on the "should posts count" poll, but I'm a big fan of the length-based post-count idea. I prefer the 225 threshold to the 150, but then again I'd remove my own post-count if I could. In either case, this seems like a better compromise between people who don't care for post-counts and people who do than simply eliminating certain forums from the number altogether.

Yay.

You never post, you write books. O_o

Matt
08-09-2012, 09:35 PM
You never post, you write books. O_o

I hope that's not an issue. I'm planning to compile all my Weasyl posts in a collection of essays called Dumb Shit I Said in Public. I don't have an editor.

Tiger
08-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I hope that's not an issue. I'm planning to compile all my Weasyl posts in a collection of essays called Dumb Shit I Said in Public. I don't have an editor.

I have InDesign, I can help you with that. :3 I sense a bestseller coming up!

FishNChips
08-10-2012, 08:40 AM
The 150+ limit before counting posts sounds pretty good to me. I had a funny feeling that a 250+ limit before counting posts would encourage needless Tolkeining instead of shitposting, which manages to be irritating in its own way. :P

Sinjo
08-12-2012, 11:54 AM
The 150+ limit before counting posts sounds pretty good to me. I had a funny feeling that a 250+ limit before counting posts would encourage needless Tolkeining instead of shitposting, which manages to be irritating in its own way. :P

It's already encouraging it. But at this juncture in time it's really a pointless argument.