PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion]; PDF support for literature

Tretron
01-21-2014, 01:34 PM
My idea is something i had ever since Weasyl started but i have no idea how hard it is to implement.
only one other site i have seen so far got this feature; a PDF support. and i am not talking about a PDF file upload i am talking about an in bedded programm that reads the PDF files and shows it. it would be a nifty system to easily <and safely> upload stories on weasyl.
google docs what is currently used it not a bad system but i do not like it at all. so this is why i come with this suggestion.
Deviant art does have a system like this and Inkbunny does have an Auto RFS/TXT reader that works similar.

Taw
01-21-2014, 02:09 PM
We already have built in PDF file support (for example: https://www.weasyl.com/submission/367197/whispers-in-the-wind)

Is this what you were referring to, or did you mean something else?

Runefox
01-21-2014, 02:11 PM
I think what Tretron is suggesting is the idea of the site reading out the PDF document instead of a user having to download it. That way, the site intrinsically protects against things like PDF reader vulnerabilities and poisoned files.

weykent
01-21-2014, 02:13 PM
I think what Tretron is suggesting is the idea of the site reading out the PDF document instead of a user having to download it. That way, the site intrinsically protects against things like PDF reader vulnerabilities and poisoned files.

I'm not sure what "reading out" means if it's not what we're already doing.

Runefox
01-21-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure what "reading out" means if it's not what we're already doing.

Well, I don't have a PDF submission in front of me, so I can't really say for sure what it is you're already doing and what it is the're suggesting; That's just what I gather from their post. Do PDF submissions have their contents displayed on-site or does the PDF file need to be downloaded to view the submission?

weykent
01-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Well, I don't have a PDF submission in front of me, so I can't really say for sure what it is you're already doing and what it is the're suggesting; That's just what I gather from their post. Do PDF submissions have their contents displayed on-site or does the PDF file need to be downloaded to view the submission?

Taw linked one above: https://www.weasyl.com/submission/367197/whispers-in-the-wind

Tretron
01-21-2014, 02:54 PM
well that is what i was referring to, but i still have few minor things to add (since i had this in my head for a long time i couldn't remember the support was already added)
one of the tings is the text wall itself. but that is a personal idea: instead of scrolling the whole page you just have to scroll in the pdf window itself.

Runefox
01-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Scrolling the text window alone would be a pain for tablet users.