PDA

View Full Version : Time Zone selector

Nidonocu
01-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Hi! Just a small UX bug of sorts in that as someone who lives in the UK, it took me almost five minutes to find my time zone in the account settings page.

Currently London is listed under 'Britain (UK)' which well, is rather wrong as if you're going to list all the time zones by country, its rather important to get the name right. The full official name of my country is 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' which is shortened to just The United Kingdom or UK.

At a push and sometimes to jump ahead in alphabetical listings (see, the Olympics), we use the name 'Great Britain' although technically that's just the name of the largest of the islands that make up the UK. However when we do use that as an official name, we never drop the 'Great' bit.

Anyway, in short, please can our country listing be renamed so it either appears between the UAE and the USA, or between Gibraltar and Greece! Thanks!

Nightpaws
01-20-2014, 06:43 AM
I live in the UK too :P It's a bit of a pain but you could just use auto-detect and it finds it easily!

Nidonocu
01-20-2014, 10:54 AM
I'd normally type and try to find the entry but because all the entries start with the actual timeshift, I couldn't just type 'London' in to the combo box!

Also Auto Detect didn't work for me. (Specifically, running a debug under IE11 returns: 'jstz not defined')

Nightpaws
01-20-2014, 06:30 PM
I'm using every cell in my being trying to refrain myself from saying "Use a better browser" :P

xarg
01-20-2014, 07:42 PM
And yet you still did so through a metaconversational proxy.

gaz_a
01-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Wow! I just logged into the site for the first time in ages and went to tidy the profile information, and had precisely the same annoyance. Ok I could have used autodetect but usually selecting a timezone takes a matter of seconds and is simply a matter of finding +0000 (usually the lists are sorted by timezone, not country) and selecting the correct one.

"Britain" is not a name ever really used in formal situations. "Great Britain" is ok if Northern Ireland is also on the list. "England" is ok if Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland are on the list. "UK" or United Kingdom covers them all easily and is usually the first place people look, and works since everybody is currently on the same time zone.