PDA

View Full Version : Tablet Art Block Help

MrChocolate
01-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Lately, I've been having trouble drawing anything decent when it comes to digital art. When I sketch on paper it comes out pretty good but once I go to my tablet everything just looks bad. It also feels terrible like my lines aren't tight enough (if that makes any sense). I'm not sure if I just need a break from my tablet or what. Does any one know of any good tips to get back into the swing of things?

Oh! I use Paint Tool SAI with a stabilizer of 10 on a 3000x3000 canvas.

Tiamat
01-18-2014, 04:14 PM
I don't use SAI, so I'm unsure of what a stabilizer is? I'm guessing that its a line correction tool?
Ever thought of switching to a vector program?

smelge
01-18-2014, 04:19 PM
I don't use SAI, so I'm unsure of what a stabilizer is? I'm guessing that its a line correction tool?
Ever thought of switching to a vector program?

Stabiliser pretty much evens out wiggles when you have shaky hands. That said, 10 seems pretty high and will mean the line draws slower than you can move the pens, so maybe turn that shit down a bit. I can't draw a straight line to save my life, but I only need Stabiliser on 3.

It could be the surface itself thats causing problems. I know a few people who've benefitted from taping a sheet of paper over the tablet to get the surface feel and pen drag you'd have from traditional mediums.

yokare
01-18-2014, 04:21 PM
if you like the 'tightness', maybe upping your stabilizer would help. i have mine set at 14 personally, but if you are one for very slow and precise strokes, S-1 to S-5 might be good for you?
possibly try a smaller canvas size, maybe a very very small one, even. i can't say much since i usually draw at 500x500 but i know i have trouble controlling my strokes in anything higher than like 1500x1500 aha

as for what to actually draw, try some loose sketching, or one-layer painting/scribbling. it might not be too helpful if you like precision, but it usually kicks me out of a drawing funk!
another thing you could do is scan or take a picture of your traditional sketches, and ink them in SAI. i tried this the other day and it helped me get back from a brief traditional spell to digital, somehow. i'm not really sure why, aha.

if none of this works, a break from your tablet might be the best idea. i hope you figure it out!

EDIT; i'm not entirely sure if by tightness you meant control over your pen strokes, or the sense of, as said, 'drag' you get in traditional mediums. if it's the latter, disregard me on that!

Ween
01-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Remember that digital art is a completely different medium from sketching on paper with a pencil. You can approximate it, but it's fundamentally a different medium that follows different rules. So when you work on your tablet, don't approach it the same way as you would approach doing a traditional drawing. Try something else!

spacerogue
01-18-2014, 06:08 PM
I don't know your art background, how do you work ? Do you always work directly on PC ?

I see some works are inkt with color so you could just make the base drawing on pc. Since Sai has vector options you can simply inkt and rearrange the lines to what pleases you. If you're looking for sketchy lines then a simple scanned pencil drawing can be awesome for the time being.

QT Melon
01-18-2014, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It just takes time to get used to. Some people swear by Sai but I know people making clean lineart before Sai, it's just a tool. Don't use it as a crutch.

There's some exercises out there to help you get more used to making strokes on a tablet too.

oEeYBu4cmeo

yYkcce7_u5Q