PDA

View Full Version : Recent Downtime

Taw
01-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Over the last 24 hours, Weasyl has been subject to a few DDoS attacks on the site. Our dev team has been working hard to combat these attacks and mitigate them as quickly as possible. Rest assured, these are legitimate attacks and not because we can't handle the surge of traffic!

When the site goes offline in these kinds of situations, you can check the Site Status (http://status.weasyl.com) page, or check our Twitter accounts @Weasyl (http://twitter.com/Weasyl) and @WeasylDev (http://twitter.com/WeasylDev) for updates. Additionally, our forums (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?15) may provide some more information.

We are also currently taking steps to protect against these sorts of attacks in the future. Some people may experience some trouble connecting to the site due to DNS caching - if you are having issues please try flushing your DNS cache or restarting your computer.

Tiamat
01-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate all the hard work.

Hardrockangel
01-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Permission to link this on tumblr, or have you guys already made a post there which can be reblogged to signalboost?
Also, what Tiamat said: the hard work and updates are appreciated. c:

Taw
01-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Permission to link this on tumblr, or have you guys already made a post there which can be reblogged to signalboost?
Also, what Tiamat said: the hard work and updates are appreciated. c:

You can link to it on tumblr - it'll be posted on there shortly. I haven't gotten around to setting my tumblr back up for Weasyl since I temporarily stepped down in September so I gotta find someone who can do it. My bad on that! (Figured I'd never need to do a news post, guess I was wrong!)

Sarukai
01-18-2014, 02:33 PM
We are also currently taking steps to protect against these sorts of attacks in the future. Some people may experience some trouble connecting to the site due to DNS caching - if you are having issues please try flushing your DNS cache or restarting your computer.

For anyone who doesn't know how to Flush A DNS (http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/ClearingBrowserCache)
You're welcome.

TealMoon
01-18-2014, 02:34 PM
You guys rock. Thanks for all your hard work. :3

yokare
01-18-2014, 02:41 PM
the site still isn't working for me. i flushed my dns cache several times and restarted my computer as well, but no luck.

i waited for a bit since i figured it'd just take some time but it's an hour and a half since the site was reported to be back up and it still isn't connecting, it just times out eventually.

sorry to be a bother, but i'm not sure if this is something to do with me or the servers.

Nightpaws
01-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Seeing as everyone else can get connected, I'd guess the problem is at your end. Have you tried power cycling your router and any devices you use online?

yokare
01-18-2014, 02:56 PM
aaa you're probably right, my internet does some weird things sometimes.

and i would try that, but since 4 other people in this house are using the internet right now, i can't. but i'll try it later and see if it fixes the problem. thanks!

Nightpaws
01-18-2014, 02:59 PM
aaa you're probably right, my internet does some weird things sometimes.

and i would try that, but since 4 other people in this house are using the internet right now, i can't. but i'll try it later and see if it fixes the problem. thanks!Okay, give us a shout if you're still stuck later. :)

Toshabi
01-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Good work Batman and staff.

QT Melon
01-18-2014, 03:39 PM
the site still isn't working for me. i flushed my dns cache several times and restarted my computer as well, but no luck.

i waited for a bit since i figured it'd just take some time but it's an hour and a half since the site was reported to be back up and it still isn't connecting, it just times out eventually.

sorry to be a bother, but i'm not sure if this is something to do with me or the servers.

Some ISPs engage in the practice of DNS caching as well so don't feel bad.
I used to have this issue a lot with certain providers.

Thank you for the updates, it is very appreciated.

Runefox
01-18-2014, 04:21 PM

As QT pointed out, some ISP's use DNS caching to reduce load on their end. You might try using Google's public DNS (https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using) and see if that works for you. Otherwise, it should resolve itself when your provider's cache expires, though when that is could be as short as a few minutes to hours or days, depending on how aggressive it is.

Personally, I use Google DNS regardless, since it's more reliable and generally faster than my ISP's DNS servers.

yokare
01-18-2014, 04:32 PM
thank you so much! i switched to google's public DNS and everything works fine now.

much appreciated!!

WickedGypsy
01-18-2014, 07:08 PM
I've done all the things mentioned with the exception of the Public DNS (not my computer).
The site is still not working for me. So, is the site still down or is there more I should try?

Nightpaws
01-18-2014, 07:18 PM
I've done all the things mentioned with the exception of the Public DNS (not my computer).
The site is still not working for me. So, is the site still down or is there more I should try?

The site is technically online, however you will just have to wait I'm afraid.

(You could try running "ipconfig -flushdns" in command prompt but that will probably not help much.)

Runefox
01-18-2014, 08:02 PM

Well, aside from switching to public DNS or switching to a different network, it's a waiting game unfortunately. DNS record changes (which occurred as a result of the DDoS) can take up to 48 hours to go out over every ISP out there, since a lot of them cache DNS pretty aggressively.

AndiGreyScale
01-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the hard work folks!

QT Melon
01-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Thank you so much for your work!

VdRXuyBOyow

Nightpaws
01-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Seems like those on Virgin Media in the UK are able to connect by doing the DNS change method stated above. If you can't do this, they should probably have updated their own records by tomorrow morning which should resolve any issues still ongoing.

WickedGypsy
01-19-2014, 09:07 PM
My 4G on my phone let me connect fine, and then just a bit earlier today I had no problem over WIFI or on my computer!
Thanks for all the hard work!!!!

Ouiji
01-19-2014, 09:17 PM
For anyone who doesn't know how to Flush A DNS (http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/ClearingBrowserCache)
You're welcome.

Thank you Sarukai. And thank you to the staff as well!