PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Computer

TechKat
08-05-2012, 08:10 PM
I really want a gaming computer, I love gaming with a PC.
The problem is most games nowadays require those high-tech graphic cards, especially Amnesia.

I've heard that Amnesia is playable on some laptops, but the laptop I have doesn't support it, yet it's powerful enough.

I don't have much money to be honest, in fact I don't have an income. So I was hoping someone could help me here.

What's the cheapest gaming PC possible? I want to be able play games like Amnesia and such without lag and what not.

Ibuuyk
08-05-2012, 08:13 PM
You could get a GTX 450 for less than 80$ and it'd be able to run most games on the highest settings for the next three years or so, if you have at least 4GB RAM (less than 20$).

RX-149Dragonite
08-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Cheapest? You could probably get away with one for between $600 and $800.

It really comes down to if you want to futureproof it a lot or none.

Brace
08-05-2012, 11:44 PM
If you're willing to buy used parts the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel gaming machine would be a used AM3 motherboard, an AM3 processor (which you would overclock), a good cooling kit, 4GB memory, a DVD Drive and power supply, a very low end case, a used 6870, and a 750GB HDD.

Ballpark estimate:

Case: ~$20
Mobo and processor: ~$100
Power supply: ~$40
DVD-drive: ~$20
HDD: ~$45
Memory: ~$30
Cooling: ~$50
Graphics: ~$100

That puts you at about $400. Then you add the cost of whatever windows version you want and that brings it up to $500. At that point you could practically just buy a store built computer with slightly better specs and the benefit of a warranty. The main reason I've built my computers is because I like doing so and I get Windows for free as a student. It gets really close, at any rate, so you'll have to do a lot more comparison shopping to get an idea of things.

oneandonly
08-06-2012, 07:41 AM
If you're willing to buy used parts the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel gaming machine would be a used AM3 motherboard, an AM3 processor (which you would overclock), a good cooling kit, 4GB memory, a DVD Drive and power supply, a very low end case, a used 6870, and a 750GB HDD.

Ballpark estimate:

Case: ~$20
Mobo and processor: ~$100
Power supply: ~$40
DVD-drive: ~$20
HDD: ~$45
Memory: ~$30
Cooling: ~$50
Graphics: ~$100

That puts you at about $400. Then you add the cost of whatever windows version you want and that brings it up to $500. At that point you could practically just buy a store built computer with slightly better specs and the benefit of a warranty. The main reason I've built my computers is because I like doing so and I get Windows for free as a student. It gets really close, at any rate, so you'll have to do a lot more comparison shopping to get an idea of things.

I would stay away from used motherboards, from personal experience. That would probably raise the price to around 130 dollars if you wanted to overclock, and a nice CPU that is overclockable is usually around/above 150.

Brace
08-06-2012, 09:54 AM
What. Where are you getting that from? Pretty much any AMD chip is overclockable, and on an old socket they aren't going to be anywhere near there. The entire TigerDirect catalog for AM3 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=22&sel=Detail%3B112_174_47365_47365) only has 4 chips above $100, none of which are necessary for gaming. Any dual core chip you can get to 3.2Ghz or above is fine for gaming. These are also new chips. Checking Ebay for the most expensive new chip gives options at $30 less, and the second most expensive chip (an Athlon II X4, $115 on Tiger) is going for around $50-70 on average. I think you have unrealistically high standards for "nice", especially since they're just trying to play Amnesia.

For reference, I once built a budget rig on the AM2+ socket. It had 4GB memory, and an Athlon X2 7850 overclocked to 3.0Ghz. With a decent video card it runs Mirror's Edge on highest settings as long as you turn PhysX off. The total cost with video card for me was about $370, and if you could actually find the same parts today it would be much less, especially for the video card.

oneandonly
08-06-2012, 11:42 AM
What. Where are you getting that from? Pretty much any AMD chip is overclockable, and on an old socket they aren't going to be anywhere near there. The entire TigerDirect catalog for AM3 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=22&sel=Detail%3B112_174_47365_47365) only has 4 chips above $100, none of which are necessary for gaming. Any dual core chip you can get to 3.2Ghz or above is fine for gaming. These are also new chips. Checking Ebay for the most expensive new chip gives options at $30 less, and the second most expensive chip (an Athlon II X4, $115 on Tiger) is going for around $50-70 on average. I think you have unrealistically high standards for "nice", especially since they're just trying to play Amnesia.

For reference, I once built a budget rig on the AM2+ socket. It had 4GB memory, and an Athlon X2 7850 overclocked to 3.0Ghz. With a decent video card it runs Mirror's Edge on highest settings as long as you turn PhysX off. The total cost with video card for me was about $370, and if you could actually find the same parts today it would be much less, especially for the video card.

Yeah, they will all overclock, but only to a certain amount before you have to start overclocking other parts of the board. The Black Edition CPU's though remove the limits. I got my CPU for around 120 dollars with shipping. 6 core and with the Radeon graphics card, it runs most games pretty well. Of course, I don't play much more than GTA SA, Minecraft, and GTA III, but I'll be trying it with GTA IV shortly. My CPU is 2.7 Ghz, but it can get up to 3.2 Ghz with Turbo.

RadioCatastrophe
08-10-2012, 01:14 AM
If no one has mentioned this yet, Build It, my boyfriend just built me a gaming PC (desktop) and he bought himself one with about the same specs only the one he built me was 1k less than the one he bought and has better components. :P

If you know someone who can build a computer properly and knows that they're doing when assembling it you can get a decent computer for half the price (maybe even less) than a prebuilt one with the specs you want or need for any games you'll be playing heavily on the computer. I don't know much about building one so this is all the advice I can give you, lol.

Vitani
08-11-2012, 10:53 AM
You could build a decent gaming computer capable of playing Amnesia for about 500

If you disregard OS & Case for a minute

PSU: Corsair GS600 (600W) = 68
MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX (Socket AM3+) = 104
CPU: AMD Phenom ii X4 965 @ 3.4GHz = 80
GPU: Asus AMD Radeon HD6670 DirectCU Graphics Card = 58
HDD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda= 65
SSD: Boot Drive (OCZ 60GB Agility 3) 50
Optical: Sony 24x CD/DVD Rewriter = 20

Total: 445

+ Case (Low-end = 30-50, Mid-End = 50-90, High-End = 90-120) Whichever you want
+ OS: Windows 7 Home Premium = 70

Total + OS = 515
So add a mid-range case and you'd be looking near enough to 560-570

Thats still under the amount you'd have to pay for a pre-built gaming PC, At a rough look its about half the price and you can get about 60fps out of it, minimal lag too.

If that's too expensive I can work out something of similar performance to give you an idea. I've built my own computers for a few years so if you need some advice or whatever, your welcome to drop me a note.