PDA

View Full Version : Ask about an Art Book on my shelf

QT Melon
01-13-2014, 11:29 AM
I thought this may be fun but informative. I have a lot of books. I recently have been able to get more shelves for my books. This particular shelf isn't my most popular or most used books but all are used for art. It can be inspiration or references.

If you have a question or would like me to review a book on a shelf, you can post here. I am only posting the first shelf in this opening post. I will post more photos of my shelves. If one is hard to read just ask me to put a number over each book. I tried to take a large photo so the titles are more legible.

Here is a photo from my top shelf.

http://i.imgur.com/KMz3qfI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KMz3qfI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3o5wTn1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3o5wTn1.jpg

Ask away!

FishNChips
01-13-2014, 02:51 PM
I have that Extreme Worlds book, as well as a book entitled How to Cheat at 3ds Max 2010! But I can't read many of those titles very well.

Say, how's that For Dummies book on figure drawing?

QT Melon
01-13-2014, 03:06 PM
You should be able to blow up the image if you open the link since it is full sized. I will try to number them later.

I personally didn't enjoy the For Dummies book. I felt the drawings were too crude for my liking. The paper quality didn't feel good either. If I didn't have better books I may have liked it more.

The Extreme Worlds book I bought as a show of support and reminder to keep drawing. The author of that book had come down with a form of ALS and can no longer use his hands or feet to draw.

Tiamat
01-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Whats in the imagineFX book? Is it a collection of their tutorials and how to's?

Zeitzbach
01-13-2014, 04:01 PM
So about that golden book in the middle.

Any drawing trick to absorb from it?

QT Melon
01-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Whats in the imagineFX book? Is it a collection of their tutorials and how to's?

Yes it is the book is Fantasy Workshop: Mastering Digital Techniques.

It is a collection of tutorials from previous magazines. Unfortunately it doesn't come with the DVD material which makes some of it confusing. You can find some of the supplemental material on their site I think. They revamped the site so I am not sure.

Zeitzbach. That book has helped me with some manga I read and some books on the bottom shelf I have yet to post. I got that book at my art school when I took an elective language class.

Tiamat
01-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Ooh! What about "How to Paint Like the Old Masters"?

Hewge
01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
What about that pink one?

QT Melon
01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Ooh! What about "How to Paint Like the Old Masters"?

I love that book. Sheppard has practical advice that helped me move forward to learn. His figures and work aren't cutting edge. It made learn to see.

I put a lot of his methods in to use with Painter. I learned how to paint grapes. I felt so proud lol. I should find that study.

I feel I outgrew his book a bit so I put it on that shelf along with his figure drawing books. Still I will go through them from time to time.

QT Melon
01-13-2014, 10:51 PM
What about that pink one?

Virtual Pose Duo comes with a CD/DVD (which I have to figure out where I put the disc - but I always make backup copies of the material) I did not get this book at the price it was selling at (35) I often used coupons when I went to Borders before it went out of business to get books at half the cost. The book itself was a small collection of poses. I got it mainly for the CD which contained a 3D turnaround of the poses in the book. I with there were more poses and different body types. I was a bit put off that the book is filled with just White people, mainly because I was trying to study different skin tones.

To help with the top shelf. The book next to Ancient Egypt is an Art Book by Claire Wendling - http://stuartngbooks.com/sketchbooks/wendling-daisies.html there is also a sketchbook that's very thin by an artist named Emily Warren/frozenlilacs.

The book next to Imagine FX is Weaponry an Illustrated history.

The book next to Manga Cross Stitch is a Google Sketchup Book

Toshabi
01-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Dynamic anatomy: How beginner friendly is it?

QT Melon
01-14-2014, 12:25 AM
Dynamic anatomy: How beginner friendly is it?

It isn't. It's probably one of the most confusing books I ever read. I got it because people in the comic book circles talked about it. As confusing as Hogarth is, Bridgman and his explanations are not much better (but I find his drawings more relevant). I also feel like it teaches you to draw people made of salamander. There's some strange rubbery look to it. Dynamic Figure drawing is a bit better than Dynamic Anatomy.

Personally I find Michael Hampton, Jack Hamm, Loomis, Bridgman and Vilppu better.

Toshabi
01-14-2014, 02:57 AM
Ah that's too bad.

Oddly enough, I have Albinus on Anatomy, but I don't even remember buying/having the book. Do you think this would be a good read for someone who needs to brush up on their anatomy?

QT Melon
01-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Ah that's too bad.

Oddly enough, I have Albinus on Anatomy, but I don't even remember buying/having the book. Do you think this would be a good read for someone who needs to brush up on their anatomy?

Personally I would recommend Albinus for understanding anatomy. There are about 4 books that are often recommended. Elliot Goldfinger's Anatomy book. David K Rubins The Human Figure, Albinus of Anatomy with some parts with Robert Beverly Hale (who is an excellent instructor, and you can look up his lectures - some are posted on Youtube). The last one is underrated which is Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers Peck.

Peck's book is also excellent for the price. I have 3 out of the 4 books but have Ellenberger's Animal Anatomy book. I have seen Goldfinger human one prior but I liked the other books a bit better. They are also more reasonably priced.

Here is my middle shelf of the same bookshelf: http://i.imgur.com/RSPJoon.jpg (if you click on the image you can see the full resolution)
http://i.imgur.com/RSPJoon.jpg

The thin green book next to Anatomy for the Artist book is Drawings of Mucha. The thin white book on the left next to force is Drawing Light and Shade by Giovanni Civardi. There is a book next to "Women" on the far right which is Erotic Fantasy Art.

Toshabi
01-14-2014, 04:04 PM
I'll give Albinus a read. Thanks for the suggestions!

QT Melon
01-16-2014, 12:45 AM
You are quite welcome.

On another note, I'm surprised no one has asked me about any of the art books (inspirational ones) I have on my shelves.

TealMoon
01-16-2014, 01:32 AM
Imaginative Realism, what's that?

QT Melon
01-16-2014, 02:55 AM
Imaginative Realism, what's that?

http://www.amazon.com/Imaginative-Realism-Paint-Doesnt-Exist/dp/0740785508/

It's James Gurney's book. I got this one before his Color and Light book. I really like this book as it goes into the process of how he works with life to combine it into fantasy. Gurney is the creator of Dinotopia. One of the things I most remember in his book besides him building sets was how he was drawing Dinosaurs that were firefighters and how he got real insight from those who actually fight fires so he can think what designs worked better than what just "looked pretty"

QT Melon
01-19-2014, 12:45 PM
I almost forgot to update the third shelf.

If you right click and view image, you can also zoom in and see the full size version.

http://i.imgur.com/8Q6Sbmf.jpg

I still have more books to take pictures on, but I don't have them all on nice book shelves. They're on shelving of my closet. What I may do is swap out the books and put them on the bookshelf. I have lots of art books and many of them have been mentioned in the thread about Art Books.

So if you have any questions, ask away! If you aren't sure about a book or its title let me know!

TealMoon
01-19-2014, 08:52 PM
HTDM: colorful costumes, is that any good?

Same question for the anime and game characters books.

QT Melon
01-19-2014, 10:09 PM
HTDM: colorful costumes, is that any good?

Same question for the anime and game characters books.

It was an okay book. The reason most of them are on my bottom shelf is because I didn't find them too useful for the price. I didn't mind the NEW ones as much but for the most part avoid them. Unless you wanted a collection of screentones which is why I got some of the books.

The Queens Blade books I got for inspiration, I like F.S. Illustrations quite a bit even if the girls tend to have a bit of a derpy face. I would prefer eyebrows not looking like Groucho Marx.

TealMoon
01-19-2014, 11:19 PM
The Queens Blade books I got for inspiration, I like F.S. Illustrations quite a bit even if the girls tend to have a bit of a derpy face. I would prefer eyebrows not looking like Groucho Marx.lol

Sammacha
01-21-2014, 09:34 PM
lol what is extraordinary chickens? The title itself is intriguing with the fact that its an art book. It is actually about how to draw chickens and other feathered friends?

Ouiji
01-21-2014, 10:42 PM
How is the perspective drawing book? I've been working to adjust proportions correctly, any particularly good tips there?

QT Melon
01-22-2014, 02:40 AM
How is the perspective drawing book? I've been working to adjust proportions correctly, any particularly good tips there?

I like this book but the wording can get confusing I do think there were more interesting books. I think if you use this book, get Perspective Made Easy to go along with it so you understand the concepts more if it gets too technical.

One of the tips I like is about sketching a little more rapidly to get a basic idea out using perspective. One of which is letting lines go over the length you intended to. I think it helps because you get less hairy lines when drawing.

I may have not gotten this book if not for the fact it was half off the price it was normally selling for. I was also disappointed to find it lacked curvilinear perspective. I had to get that from this book http://www.amazon.com/Vanishing-Point-Perspective-Comics-Ground/dp/1581809549 (I have somewhere just need to see where I placed it since my former roommate loved to go through my stash).

QT Melon
01-22-2014, 10:57 AM
lol what is extraordinary chickens? The title itself is intriguing with the fact that its an art book. It is actually about how to draw chickens and other feathered friends?

Ah, missed this one!

Extraordinary Chickens is a photo book, of...well amazing looking chickens. I love looking at the book for inspiration and reference. I never new there were so many fancy chickens. Polish Frizzles and Silike chickens are so cute. They look like little muppets. I think Gonzo would have found a new friend with them.

QT Melon
01-23-2014, 01:54 AM
I am finally getting to other shelves. I have a lot of closet space so books I tend to use more stay in my closet in my bedroom or on my bed >_>;;;

http://i.imgur.com/gGMvsf9.jpg
You can Right click to view the full size if you can't read

I also have (that is a Terada book on the side)
http://i.imgur.com/mBJGj1U.jpg

Sammacha
01-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Ah, missed this one!

Extraordinary Chickens is a photo book, of...well amazing looking chickens. I love looking at the book for inspiration and reference. I never new there were so many fancy chickens. Polish Frizzles and Silike chickens are so cute. They look like little muppets. I think Gonzo would have found a new friend with them.

O that is pretty interesting, there are so many animals we don't get to see, or even hear about!

Those art books look great, I love some art book but I dont have space for them. I'm lucky the library here often has one or two I can borrow, and sometimes they are opened in the store so I can still look xD

QT Melon
02-05-2014, 12:15 AM
I have a couple more shots of books on my shelf. I have quite a few more to go especially since some are scattered about my apartment.

http://i.imgur.com/PbOQqS7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Lfi9mM4.jpg

I admit some of my books get very used.

Tiamat
02-05-2014, 12:49 AM
I'm thinking of making the leap from oils to watercolor, hows that WC book in the top picture?

Also, whats your opinion of Classic Human Anatomy?

QT Melon
02-05-2014, 01:02 AM
I'm thinking of making the leap from oils to watercolor, hows that WC book in the top picture?

Also, whats your opinion of Classic Human Anatomy?

I really love both books. The Watercolor book still gets quite a bit of use when it's not on the shelf. I learned a lot with it and I still have much to learn from it today. I highly recommend that book. The way she breaks down what kind of properties certain colors have (ex. sedimentary pigments) wasn't something I thought about with colors

Classic Human anatomy is an extremely organized book. I really like it. I do not regret the purchase. I still think you might want to get another anatomy book for other resources and such but this is like a really good encyclopedia of terms and things you find in all anatomy books. I think that's what makes it so special from other books out there. It's like you pick up an old book like Bridgman or some other book recommended and you go "huh" because of some terms or meanings. Classic Human Anatomy is there to fill in the voids and explain it in layman's terms.

Also, not pictured is a recently purchased book Frank Frazetta's sketchbook.

Tiamat
02-05-2014, 01:03 AM
OH and tell me about Udons Capcom art!

QT Melon
02-05-2014, 01:25 AM
OH and tell me about Udons Capcom art!

Udon is very interesting since some of those people I remember back during the time of internet when everyone was using Tripod. The book isn't Classic Capcom art if you're looking for Bengus, Daigo, or Shinkiro, it's more of the "new" generation. It's still a good art book. I know that one artist Arnold Tsang used Painter a lot so I learned by one of his tutorials on the web. I think the site is dead but I may still have his old tutorial on me somewhere.

Tiamat
02-05-2014, 04:48 AM
Cool, thanks for explaining those...think I will pass on the Capcom book. The other 2 I will keep a look out for.

QT Melon
02-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Cool, thanks for explaining those...think I will pass on the Capcom book. The other 2 I will keep a look out for.

Parka has some pages up on his book review site you can look at for the Watecolor book. http://www.parkablogs.com/content/book-review-watercolor-artists-guide-exceptional-color

Tiamat
02-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Wow, that -does- look great!

Sammacha
02-05-2014, 02:22 PM
hows the ultimate encyclopedia of ancient mythology? is it collection of stories or more of how they came to be? or a list of characters and monsters? I already have a mythological monster book and one with origins of stories and heros, looking for one full of stories

QT Melon
02-09-2014, 03:12 PM
I would say it's more of a list of various myths and monsters. I wouldn't say it's comprehensive. I wouldn't say this is the book you're looking for as they are more like an ...well Encyclopedia. I keep the book as a starting point to research into other books and cultures. For example Persian mythology in book form is not as easy to find even though I have a couple of books on it now.

Sammacha
02-09-2014, 03:25 PM
I would say it's more of a list of various myths and monsters. I wouldn't say it's comprehensive. I wouldn't say this is the book you're looking for as they are more like an ...well Encyclopedia. I keep the book as a starting point to research into other books and cultures. For example Persian mythology in book form is not as easy to find even though I have a couple of books on it now.

Ah ok, I already have a few different books like this, but they can be great for finding inspiration, ideas and getting out of a block.

QT Melon
02-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Ah ok, I already have a few different books like this, but they can be great for finding inspiration, ideas and getting out of a block.

I bought mine off the discount shelf. I think I only paid 20 for it or less than that. I miss Borders, but I believe Barnes and Nobles has the same kind of shelf. It's great for inspiration and reference. If you see the first shelf of this series I have a book on Weapons where I also found on the discount shelf

Sammacha
02-09-2014, 03:52 PM
I bought mine off the discount shelf. I think I only paid 20 for it or less than that. I miss Borders, but I believe Barnes and Nobles has the same kind of shelf. It's great for inspiration and reference. If you see the first shelf of this series I have a book on Weapons where I also found on the discount shelf

ah yes, my friend actually has that book. We don't have a barnes and Nobles here but we do have other similar stores. I am going to be near it on Tuesday I'll see what they have.
I actually bought all my encyclopedia like books such as these on discount, great to have.

QT Melon
02-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Sorry for the low level lighting but here's the next shelf of books. they're sitting in an area that's harder to get lighting in.

http://i.imgur.com/uHiLjm0.jpg

Hewge
02-16-2014, 11:38 PM
What's the one that says HANDS, and the bottom four with the crazy squares for a title?

QT Melon
02-16-2014, 11:54 PM
What's the one that says HANDS, and the bottom four with the crazy squares for a title?

That's actually Drawing the Head and Hands by Loomis. It's from this set right here: https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?3536-Ask-about-an-Art-Book-on-my-shelf&p=44715&viewfull=1#post44715 I always wanted to own a copy and legally since the last copy of Loomis' books were at a public library, slowly wearing itself to bits.

The bottom four books in the photo above you are Robot. It was an anthology of Japanese colored comics and pinups. The ones above that were a Korean version called Apple. I haven't seen them published anymore in English which is a shame, but I did enjoy them for art inspiration.

insanejoker
02-17-2014, 03:38 PM
I love seeing all the 'how to draw manga' books - they sometimes have good tips here and there, but I mainly liked to buy them for the images to try and spark some inspiration. I also bought the Art book for The Last Airbender - I cannot express enough just how inspirational that book was to read about their challenges in making the series.

What is the book 'Rough Work' by Frank Frazetta?

QT Melon
05-16-2017, 12:19 PM
I love seeing all the 'how to draw manga' books - they sometimes have good tips here and there, but I mainly liked to buy them for the images to try and spark some inspiration. I also bought the Art book for The Last Airbender - I cannot express enough just how inspirational that book was to read about their challenges in making the series.

What is the book 'Rough Work' by Frank Frazetta?

Yeah I'm resurrecting an old thread to answer this. Rough Works is basically a Frazetta sketchbook. It's one of my favorites to look at cuz you kind of see his thought process on preliminary drawings.

SaulGoodman91
05-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Is figure drawing for dummies really the best book on the topic? :D