PDA

View Full Version : Now Accepting Applications

Fay V
01-11-2014, 02:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/poFt8ny.png

First and foremost we want to thank everyone for their continued support of Weasyl. This project has grown far beyond a simple coding project, and we intend to keep growing and providing a quality art site for you.

Due to our continuing growth we are in need of moderators for both the forums and main site to help keep up with the demands of the site. In the past you may remember our use of the Ferret position to select moderators. While our Ferret group is still a valuable part of Weasyl, we have decided to put this feature on hold while we develop better functions and tools to aid our Ferrets. Those that were already selected as Ferrets will continue to have access to the ferret forum section and other ferret benefits, but the Ferret prerequisite is no longer required for moderator applications.

The Moderator position will primarily be responsible for answering reports on either the forums, main site, or both based on their preference. They will be expected to work in a team environment to answer reports in a reasonable time from their initial creation and be able to respond to the community should questions about decisions arise. Applicants should have developed interpersonal skills and have a desire to help build a more cohesive, friendly community for artists and art appreciators.

If you are interested in a moderator position here on Weasyl please submit the following form: Mod Application Form (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/application-forms.php?appid=2). The forms will close January 25, and selections will be finalized February 8. Applicants must be 18+, have a forum account, and be familiar with the Weasyl Community Guidelines, as well as the Staff Code of Conduct.

Despite our need for more volunteers, position are limited. Applicants are not guaranteed a position on Weasyl's staff.

If you are interested in volunteering for Weasyl in a development or technical capacity please contact Weasyl Dev regarding a volunteer position.

Artwork by: Fay V (https://www.weasyl.com/~fayv)

Hardrockangel
01-11-2014, 03:15 PM
I would love to join, but have a question if I may:

Seeing as I am still a full-time university-student, how much time should I ideally be devoting to the website (should I get picked in the first place)? Because if I am incapable of putting in the hours that would ideally be requested, I wouldn't want to clog up the applications. c:

ETA: Also, when it comes to answering reports, are we getting guidance for the first week / month to settle in? Just something that came to mind when I was thinking about the aspect of responding to reports and consistent rule-enforcement.

Fay V
01-11-2014, 03:18 PM
I would love to join, but have a question if I may:

Seeing as I am still a full-time university-student, how much time should I ideally be devoting to the website (should I get picked in the first place)? Because if I am incapable of putting in the hours that would ideally be requested, I wouldn't want to clog up the applications. c:

this is not intended to be full time work, but the work does shift depending on how many tickets come in on any given day. I would say expect at least a couple hours a week and to be available with other staff, but if you're not sure you may just explain your availability on our mod forms and we'll consider it along with other qualifications.

Hardrockangel
01-11-2014, 03:19 PM
this is not intended to be full time work, but the work does shift depending on how many tickets come in on any given day. I would say expect at least a couple hours a week and to be available with other staff, but if you're not sure you may just explain your availability on our mod forms and we'll consider it along with other qualifications.

Sure thing, thanks for the quick response!

Fay V
01-11-2014, 04:18 PM
In response to your edit. We will be actively training the new moderators in how to handle all tickets and the weasyl policies, as well as introducing them to our ticket guide. Our staff is also extremely social so there is no point in time where you should feel left to the wolves as it were.

FishNChips
01-11-2014, 04:27 PM
I've put in my application and I'm looking forward to seeing who out of us will be among our new overlords.

Good luck to my fellow participants!

Ibuuyk
01-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Wewt! Maybe we can join Tiger this time, eh Gibs?

Tiamat
01-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Keen to help out with anything arty. Sent my application.

Daisy La Liebre
01-11-2014, 05:05 PM
I feel as though my professional life has given me a great skill set that would be appropriate to this role. Sent off my application!

Nightpaws
01-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I've submitted my application for this. I think I'm in a far better position than I was last year for taking up a role like this if I'm chosen. :)

Good luck everyone!

TealMoon
01-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Good luck everyone.

It's too bad I've just now started to be really active on Weasyl, that'll probably count against me. :/

Toshabi
01-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Good luck everyone.

It's too bad I've just now started to be really active on Weasyl, that'll probably count against me. :/

If anything, it'd still show that you have the initiative to want to be a helping member on the site.

TealMoon
01-11-2014, 08:09 PM
If anything, it'd still show that you have the initiative to want to be a helping member on the site.Yeah that's a good way of looking at it. :3

Especially since it's true. :3

Though even if I don't get chosen I'll help the site as much as I can.

Ouiji
01-11-2014, 11:23 PM
I really want to apply, but I don't feel I'd be able to give this site the attention it deserves. The staff here is wonderful, as are all the users I've encountered, I'd be happy to contribute in other ways.

Rinzy
01-11-2014, 11:35 PM
No harm in not applying! Sent one in, gonna cross my fingers. I'd love to give the staff here a hand :3

Butterflygoddess
01-11-2014, 11:49 PM
I really want to apply, but I don't feel I'd be able to give this site the attention it deserves. The staff here is wonderful, as are all the users I've encountered, I'd be happy to contribute in other ways.

^This.

Willow
01-12-2014, 12:55 AM
I guess there's no harm in applying.

Edit: To whoever has to read mine, I'm so sorry. It's corny as heck.

To everyone else, good luck.

Nightpaws
01-12-2014, 03:22 AM
If you'd like to help but have reservations, then I would express that in the application, but even if you don't get chosen you might want to hang about and apply for the Ferret role when it reopens.

If you have technical or programming skills, you might be able to help in that aspect, or you can help simply by reporting inappropriate content as the simplest way of assisting :)

Fawna
01-12-2014, 03:31 AM
Why not? I have applied. I'm awake when most of you are asleep, soooo... night shift!

FlynnCoyote
01-12-2014, 03:42 AM
Suuure, why not? :cool:

Ouiji
01-12-2014, 04:16 AM
Reconsidered and yes, application is now submitted. Thank you for your consideration.

Saga
01-12-2014, 04:42 AM
If saga was a mod:

http://images2.nick.com/nick-assets/video/images/spongebob-squarepants/last-stand-2.jpg?height=225&width=400&quality=0.75

"It just... sort of... happened"
I didnt apply.

piņardilla
01-12-2014, 04:50 AM
I didnt apply.

I think you're the only one that didn't.

They're gonna be reading applications from now until February and then still ultimately have to draw names out of a hat.

Saga
01-12-2014, 05:00 AM
I think you're the only one that didn't.

They're gonna be reading applications from now until February and then still ultimately have to draw names out of a hat.

What if gibby becomes a mod?
I can just imagine an infraction popping up like "having too much swag"
"being a gigantic faggot"
"getting trolled by gibby"

Hardrockangel
01-12-2014, 08:13 AM
"getting trolled by gibby"

Honestly, as much as Gibby is a goofy poster from time to time, I think he'd be a good, srs bsns-mod who wouldn't use infractions to goof around.
I have faith in the Goobs. :3c

TangoDelahunt
01-12-2014, 12:26 PM
I'll give it another shot.

TealMoon
01-12-2014, 02:20 PM
"getting trolled by gibby" Gibbs isn't the type to do that. >:[

Saga
01-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Honestly, as much as Gibby is a goofy poster from time to time, I think he'd be a good, srs bsns-mod who wouldn't use infractions to goof around.
I have faith in the Goobs. :3c

I gues you could say you're a
*taks glasses off*
BELOOBER

Nightpaws
01-12-2014, 04:17 PM
I gues you could say you're a
*taks glasses off*
BELOOBERI have no idea what I'm reading but it's alarming!

Rinzy
01-13-2014, 06:47 PM
No harm in not applying! Sent one in, gonna cross my fingers. I'd love to give the staff here a hand :3

Wow, I'm such a derp, I said the opposite of what I meant. No harm in applying, lol. The worst that'll happen is being turned down for something you're not making money from anyway.

Nightpaws
01-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Wow, I'm such a derp, I said the opposite of what I meant. No harm in applying, lol. The worst that'll happen is being turned down for something you're not making money from anyway.

Well, you're right either way! There's no harm in not applying either. :P

Ley
01-13-2014, 10:34 PM
no harm in tryin, yall.

Whymzee
01-14-2014, 02:30 PM
I gave it a shot too. I'm kind of quiet around here but I like being busy and helping. I should post more around here.

Rico
01-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Decided to apply since I have some experience in moderating. Good luck everyone.

QueenJaws
01-16-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm a relatively new member (and new the forum as you can see, haha), but I'd love to be of some help if possible. I'm also a part-time college student, but I'll definitely be applying. :)
I really feel like this website has a lot of potential and a really strong setup, I'm excited to see it succeed and grow. :D

I do have a few questions about the application though!

- Does not having moderation experience count against you?

- I saw that new mods will be actively trained, does this include memorization of rules and site guidelines? I know one of your requirements is being familiar with them, but should they be memorized ahead of time?

- I also saw that the amount of work expected would be variable. Is there a minimum amount of time mods would be required to work per week and conversely, a maximum amount of time?

Aaand that's all I can think of for now.
I'll definitely post if I have any more questions. Thanks so much for the opportunity!

Fay V
01-16-2014, 06:11 PM
I'm a relatively new member (and new the forum as you can see, haha), but I'd love to be of some help if possible. I'm also a part-time college student, but I'll definitely be applying. :)
I really feel like this website has a lot of potential and a really strong setup, I'm excited to see it succeed and grow. :D

I do have a few questions about the application though!

- Does not having moderation experience count against you?

- I saw that new mods will be actively trained, does this include memorization of rules and site guidelines? I know one of your requirements is being familiar with them, but should they be memorized ahead of time?

- I also saw that the amount of work expected would be variable. Is there a minimum amount of time mods would be required to work per week and conversely, a maximum amount of time?

Aaand that's all I can think of for now.
I'll definitely post if I have any more questions. Thanks so much for the opportunity!

1. Yes, not having experience could hurt you. This is only a facet of the application of course, and it is possible to craft an extremely desirable app without it, but less likely. Moderation, organization, and leadership are all skills and demonstrating that you already have experience with these does look better when this is exactly what we are looking for. What better way to show us you can do the job than having done the job.

2. yes and no, we're not going to quiz you on the rules, it's not a case where if you make a mistake you're out. If you are uncertain you should go and read it. You should be familiar enough with out site rules that you are not making assumptions and acting on site rules that do not exist. There will be a lot of hand holding the first few weeks, but being very familiar with the rules is something you should have before going in, all members should have read the CG anyway.
In terms of guidelines, we have a comprehensive guide on how to handle tickets so it will always be consistent and we'll be showing the new mods that right away.

3. Maximum does not exist. Some weeks are better than others and the amount of work is variable as people work on different aspects of the site. The new mods will probably just focus on tickets at first, but can branch out into other aspects of the site as they get comfortable. Which is why time is variable.
I would say minimum a few hours a week, maximum does not exist.
You should be present enough in the staff chat that we're aware of how things are going, and in the first stages that will be some active training once every two days or so. Later it's keeping in contact. We are all adults and volunteers, so there is no maximum but you should not be letting other aspects of your life fail, or working so long you create disastrous mistakes.

So to be clear expect a few hours a week, try to have an hour or two in the evening every other day or a couple hours over the weekend. The more the better unless if gets to a point of ruining your life.

Lucy Bones
01-16-2014, 07:19 PM
I'll give it a shot.

I have the experience, I have the free time, and I like Weasyl a lot more than a lot of other forums I've been on. :B

Tiger
01-16-2014, 07:20 PM

"Memorization" isn't quite the right word, I'd say. I've been a mod for almost a year and closed several hundred tickets and from time to time I still go back to the Ratings Guide or the CG. There's always cases where the action to take may not be clear so even staff in general sometimes go back to those. We always want to make sure we take appropriate action based on what is in the CG and Ratings guide. So don't worry about memorizing the CG and Ratings Guide, just be familiar enough to be able to know when a submission is a violation. Through active training it becomes much easier to see violations and what to do to handle a violation when it comes up.

Lucy Bones
01-16-2014, 07:25 PM
You don't really have to religiously learn the ways of the forum to be a mod. The key to being a moderator really is just to know the rules and know of the best ways to deal with them. It's not the moderator's action that's important, it's the result. Honestly, as long as the moderator's that are eventually chosen have the ability to keep things as they are now, then all will be perfectly fine. It's been a while since I've been to a furry forum where the staff did this good a job at keeping morale high and drama low.

I'd honestly like to be a staff member just so I can learn more about undertaking responsibilities in a much larger forum than I'm used to moderating. I've been a mod in many a small forum, but never in one this popular.

Fay V
01-16-2014, 07:26 PM
I'll give it a shot.

I have the experience, I have the free time, and I like Weasyl a lot more than a lot of other forums I've been on. :B

Just a note, these apps do combine moderating forums and mainsite, but we are mostly looking for mainsite mods. we're not really splitting it and saying "okay now you get forum, and you get mainsite"

I figure you probably didn't mean that but wanted to make it explicit for other applicants.

Lucy Bones
01-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Just a note, but this apps do combine moderating forums and mainsite, but we are mostly looking for mainsite mods. we're not really splitting it and saying "okay now you get forum, and you get mainsite"

I figure you probably didn't mean that but wanted to make it explicit for other applicants.

Oh yeah, I knew that. I figure moderating the mainsite wouldn't bee too much different, anyway. The layout may be different from a forum, but the moderating basics are still there. When I say "forum" you can just assume I mean the mainsite as well. I frequent the forum more than I do the mainsite, though I am going to start using it more regardless.

TangoDelahunt
01-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Well, I've been building up a bit of modding experience so I think I'll have a better shot this time. We will see. :)

Hendikins
01-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Having a crack at this. I've got quite lengthy experience moderating on forums (and limited experience on another furry art site), and it would be good to contribute this to the community.

(Yes, I know I've been idle on the forums, I have a tendency to read rather than post if they're attached to a site).

Rinzy
01-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Just a note, these apps do combine moderating forums and mainsite, but we are mostly looking for mainsite mods. we're not really splitting it and saying "okay now you get forum, and you get mainsite"

Now I'm just more confused. Are you saying that those chosen as moderators will be moderating both the main site and the forums, or are you saying that there are different applications for each? ._.

Nightpaws
01-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Now I'm just more confused. Are you saying that those chosen as moderators will be moderating both the main site and the forums, or are you saying that there are different applications for each? ._.

These moderators will be doing both with a focus on mainsite moderation - is what I got from that.

Tiger
01-17-2014, 01:36 PM

Moderators will be on both mainsite and forum. Their primary role will be on the mainsite, but yes, they'll have moderator status on both. There's no different applications for mainsite and forum- they're combined into one application.

LeitonGrey
01-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Can't imagine that I'll get picked out of the crowd that's applied, I'm just glad to see so many people wanting to make this site a nice, safe, secure, and friendly one.

LowLeeWolf
01-18-2014, 03:57 AM
Have a bit of modding experience and just did a full move from the "other" site. Might put an app in. Looking forward to this site continuing to be a safe place for everyone.

Mayhem
01-18-2014, 06:51 AM
Can I just be a forum mod instead?

Taw
01-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Can I just be a forum mod instead?

We aren't really looking for forum mods right now, we have more than enough. The application is for main site moderators primarily.

Aster
01-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Now you just need to add a Mod Application Handler to your team to help sort through the flood of applications :P

NotXaerun
01-19-2014, 02:11 AM
Are forum applications closed?

Fay V
01-19-2014, 02:24 AM
Now you just need to add a Mod Application Handler to your team to help sort through the flood of applications :P

Yeah, it's been interesting organizing everything together, a lot of work but lots of applicants to choose from is a good problem to have.

Are forum applications closed?

The link to the app is still up. It's next to the donate button on the menu.

Percy
01-19-2014, 03:28 AM
We aren't really looking for forum mods right now, we have more than enough. The application is for main site moderators primarily.
Huh, the OP mentioned that you guys were looking for both forum and mainsite mods. I'm guessing you must've meant you were looking for someone who can work both the forums and mainsite?

I applied for forum mod, but if you guys only need mainsite mods, I'd probably be able to handle it.

shentino
01-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Will it count seriously against you if you were involved in dramatic politics on another site?

Taw
01-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Huh, the OP mentioned that you guys were looking for both forum and mainsite mods. I'm guessing you must've meant you were looking for someone who can work both the forums and mainsite?

I applied for forum mod, but if you guys only need mainsite mods, I'd probably be able to handle it.

Our staff pretty much moderates both at this point, but we're not looking for individuals who want to solely focus on the forums, as this application is more intended for focus on the main site moderation duties.

Will it count seriously against you if you were involved in dramatic politics on another site?

I honestly couldn't really say for sure, but depending on what exactly that entails and how severe it was, it possibly could.

Fay V
01-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Your history across the internet can hurt, but it always depends on the situation.

If five years ago you trolled a forum and got banned, that doesn't really mean much, especially if you've shown that isn't a concern any longer. If you went out of your way yesterday to cause trouble then yeah it'll probably disqualify you. We're looking for moderators that we can trust to do the job, and also trust in the community. Your best option is to simply be honest about things like that and we'll judge from there.

TealMoon
01-19-2014, 02:49 PM
I was a meaner person back on FAF but I've chilled since coming here. :I

Does not having mod experience really hurt your chances?

Percy
01-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Our staff pretty much moderates both at this point, but we're not looking for individuals who want to solely focus on the forums, as this application is more intended for focus on the main site moderation duties.
Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.

...now I wish I can revise my application, but it's too late now. >.>

Fay V
01-19-2014, 04:31 PM
I was a meaner person back on FAF but I've chilled since coming here. :I

Does not having mod experience really hurt your chances?

It really depends on the app you write, just like in real life. Mod experience, and where you got the experience is important. It's something that tells us you have done this kind of thing before, and at what level. If someone has been a mod on Gaia, FA, DA, Conceptart, and more, we know they understand art moderation on big sites, that's very valuable. If someone says they were a mod on SomethingAwful, we'll know they understand forum moderation but might look more into how well they fit in with Weasyl.

There could be the case where someone has had very little experience, but otherwise has been active everyday, takes part in the community, and actively reports violations. That shows us they know our staff, our community, and our rules. There's no surprise there, so that's something we actively look for too.

Some people bring big skills to the table. They may not have the most mod experience, or are the most active, but they've been around the community and are a copyright lawyer, or a certified translator of 9 different languages.

It's all a combination of factors. There is no one thing that makes us auto accept an app, but we are selecting the applicants that demonstrate the most familiarity and activity with the site + most experience + added insights and skills that will help us grow, and even then particularly in this case, there's going to be a time when we just have to turn down a good candidate for the sake of numbers. We just can't have 40 new mods.

When this is all over I intend to do my best to inform people what they could have done better if they weren't selected. If you weren't selected there is a big chance that it's just because you weren't active until mod apps appeared, in which case just stick around and try again. We are actually paying attention to the people that have already applied, looking at how they've improved over time, because regardless it shows an interest in helping that is continuing.

So, yeah. Mod experience helps, other things help too, don't be too bummed if you're not selected.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.

...now I wish I can revise my application, but it's too late now. >.>
If it's something really big that you think will really turn things around go ahead and PM me and I'll add it in.

TealMoon
01-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Thanks Fay.

I wouldn't be too upset, I'd just try again next time.

Rory
01-19-2014, 04:48 PM
If you weren't selected there is a big chance that it's just because you weren't active until mod apps appeared, in which case just stick around and try again. We are actually paying attention to the people that have already applied, looking at how they've improved over time, because regardless it shows an interest in helping that is continuing.

While that's entirely fair as site familiarity is very important, I would hope that being someone who just recently joined up with Weasyl wouldn't be an auto-fail for an applicant with experience, provided they established a bit of a track record. This isn't the case, it? It could be interpreted either way, which is why I'm asking.

Fay V
01-19-2014, 05:02 PM
While that's entirely fair as site familiarity is very important, I would hope that being someone who just recently joined up with Weasyl wouldn't be an auto-fail for an applicant with experience, provided they established a bit of a track record. This isn't the case, it? It could be interpreted either way, which is why I'm asking.

Joining right before mod apps go up isn't really a track record. Activity isn't an automatic toss of the application, as I said we're looking at a lot of different factors.
We prefer the person that's been active and has established a track record, versus someone that has been here for two days. We prefer people that actually do visit the site on occasion versus once a year.

To be honest there's not much that will auto-fail the app. If you got banned within a short period before applying. If you antagonize our current staff. If you have no experience, no skills, and you've been active the day you signed up and the day you apply. Not being 18+ or are currently under investigation of a crime.

The only other thing that will get the app pulled is extreme behavior outside weasyl that would be against our SCoC, and that's within a close timeframe of apps, not past history. So if you act like an angel on Weasyl, but cause problems everywhere else, that will get the app pulled.

Aster
01-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Good to know that "how long you've been active" isn't a make-or-break scenario, but I'd definitely understand if things were heavily skewed in favour of those who've been around longer, even beyond mere "track record".
For example, I'm sure that I, with my meagre post count, am less familiar with the dynamics of the community than someone who's been posting on the forum for several weeks. It's a familiarity that can only grow with activity over a larger span of time.
Ah, well, there is still time to increase activity before next round...

Rory
01-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Joining right before mod apps go up isn't really a track record. Activity isn't an automatic toss of the application, as I said we're looking at a lot of different factors.
We prefer the person that's been active and has established a track record, versus someone that has been here for two days. We prefer people that actually do visit the site on occasion versus once a year.

To be honest there's not much that will auto-fail the app. If you got banned within a short period before applying. If you antagonize our current staff. If you have no experience, no skills, and you've been active the day you signed up and the day you apply. Not being 18+ or are currently under investigation of a crime.

Perfectly reasonable, thank you for such a quick response. I'd agree that such a short timeframe isn't really a track record. In my case, I just happened to join the mainsite and forum the day Weasyl opened apps up. I'd never heard about Weasyl before and joined on a whim because I was tired of the constant harassment going on at other forums I frequented. I gave it at least a week to see if I'd fit in well here and would like it, and I've been thrilled with the results of both. So that's why I just wanted to make sure that if I had a potentially strong application, that it wouldn't totally devastate my chances. It's appreciated.

Fay V
01-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Good to know that "how long you've been active" isn't a make-or-break scenario, but I'd definitely understand if things were heavily skewed in favour of those who've been around longer, even beyond mere "track record".
For example, I'm sure that I, with my meagre post count, am less familiar with the dynamics of the community than someone who's been posting on the forum for several weeks. It's a familiarity that can only grow with activity over a larger span of time.
Ah, well, there is still time to increase activity before next round...

Post count has nothing to do with it. To be honest the people with the biggest chance are those going out of their way to be a positive influence on the community, taking part in art sections, helping people, giving advice or critique, or even just being part of threads where they want to learn.

Activity gives us a general look at your personality. If you've been around a month and are fighting people everyday it hurts, but you could post three times less than the highest poster but it's all calm thoughtful critique to help people, and you look very nice as an applicant.

Perfectly reasonable, thank you for such a quick response. I'd agree that such a short timeframe isn't really a track record. In my case, I just happened to join the mainsite and forum the day Weasyl opened apps up. I'd never heard about Weasyl before and joined on a whim because I was tired of the constant harassment going on at other forums I frequented. I gave it at least a week to see if I'd fit in well here and would like it, and I've been thrilled with the results of both. So that's why I just wanted to make sure that if I had a potentially strong application, that it wouldn't totally devastate my chances. It's appreciated.

That's understandable. You guys care about helping, and that's awesome. None of this process is personal. We're not looking at the apps and going "only a month activity, wow I hate this guy" it's just impersonally saying "this person is closer to what we're looking for and clearly understands the site". Like I said if you don't get it this time try again, we're growing so fast that there's a good chance there will be more apps soon.

Aster
01-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Post count has nothing to do with it. [...] Activity gives us a general look at your personality. If you've been around a month and are fighting people everyday it hurts, but you could post three times less than the highest poster but it's all calm thoughtful critique to help people, and you look very nice as an applicant. [...] We're not looking at the apps and going "only a month activity, wow I hate this guy" it's just impersonally saying "this person is closer to what we're looking for and clearly understands the site" [...]

Hmm, alright, thanks for the info.
I guess I was just trying to figure out if there was a point where an applicant wouldn't really have enough activity for you to gauge whether or not they'd be ideal. Like, someone with 0 posts applying having less of a chance than someone with 50 decent quality posts, or someone with 2 really helpful posts and no other activity having less chance than someone with 100 varying ones, just because you would have a better idea of how the people with the high posts fit into the community and what their personality is.

But really, it's a non-issue. I am just curious I guess.

TiaLeopard
01-19-2014, 08:00 PM
If you don't mind me asking, but what are the Ferrets exactly? Sorry I'm new here.

TealMoon
01-19-2014, 08:30 PM
If you don't mind me asking, but what are the Ferrets exactly? Sorry I'm new here.Ferrets are kinda like mini-mods.
They said they need to work on some issues with it so the position won't be open for a while.

Tiger
01-19-2014, 08:44 PM
If you don't mind me asking, but what are the Ferrets exactly? Sorry I'm new here.

Ferrets are an entry level staff position. Their role is to browse the site and report submission violations and tagged images as needed. It's a way for them to become familiar with our CG and Ratings guide before possibly being brought on staff. However, they do not have actually have staff privileges (such as working on tickets or moderating in general. So I wouldn't really consider them mini-mods).

Right now the Ferret program is under revision, however we do have a need for staff hence why the applications are open to all users instead of Ferrets alone.

TealMoon
01-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Ferrets are an entry level staff position. Their role is to browse the site and report submission violations and tagged images as needed. It's a way for them to become familiar with our CG and Ratings guide before possibly being brought on staff. However, they do not have actually have staff privileges (such as working on tickets or moderating in general. So I wouldn't really consider them mini-mods).

Right now the Ferret program is under revision, however we do have a need for staff hence why the applications are open to all users instead of Ferrets alone. ah, that's what I meant.
Though the closest thing I could think of was a mini-mod. :I

TiaLeopard
01-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks for answering my question :3

Would love to help out with the site but haven't been active for long (a month or so on the main site and just joined the forums today), so I was curious as to what the Ferrets were. May apply to be a Ferret if they're in need :3

Nightpaws
01-19-2014, 09:19 PM
ah, that's what I meant.

If only :P We can still dream! Hopefully there'll be more ferrets brought in in the near future too though :)

Percy
01-19-2014, 09:25 PM
If it's something really big that you think will really turn things around go ahead and PM me and I'll add it in.
Okay, I've done that.

Tiger
01-19-2014, 09:25 PM
ah, that's what I meant.

All good! It's kinda hard to summarize the Ferret program sometimes, needs a wordy response :P

TiaLeopard
01-19-2014, 09:27 PM
If only :P We can still dream! Hopefully there'll be more ferrets brought in in the near future too though :)

Hehe, would love to join if the Ferrets need it

ReplicTuaniOne
01-22-2014, 02:33 AM
I've made the Mainsite Mod Application, Hope to hear something about it :) Even though it looks that I'm not active, It's quite the opposite :)

shentino
01-24-2014, 10:45 AM
What way, if any, is ok for checking on your standings in the application process?

I'm a tad anxious about it.

Fay V
01-24-2014, 11:34 AM
TBH I would prefer that everyone wait patiently for the announcement. I understand that you guys are excited and anxious, but at the same time we're already investing a lot of time into this process. Our staff have 95+ apps at the moment to go through and weigh in on. If everyone wanted us to go through, find their specific app, and tell them how it's going we wouldn't really get anywhere, particularly as there is not much that can be done at the moment if you get news that you don't want to hear.

There may be some people that we'll get in contact with for further information, but for now the announcement is on schedule and it is best to wait it out. If you have detailed questions after that point you can feel free to ask me.

Also, thank you everyone for applying. 95+ apps is a hell of a lot of work, but that's a good problem to have. it's awesome to see so many people that want to help the site.

ReplicTuaniOne
01-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Well, good luck to everyone then :) and indeed a good thing to see that many furs are willing to help out ^^

TealMoon
01-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Also, thank you everyone for applying. 95+ apps is a hell of a lot of work, but that's a good problem to have. it's awesome to see so many people that want to help the site.Wow.

Toshabi
01-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Wow.

I sent in 90 apps btw.

Fiz
01-24-2014, 04:34 PM
I sent in 90 apps btw.

Your 'you tried' banner really applies now :3

Toshabi
01-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Your 'you tried' banner really applies now :3

I TRY SO HAAAAAAARD AND GOT SO FAAAAAAAARRRRR~♪

BUT IN THE EEEEEEEEND- we'll have to wait till February 8th

Fay V
01-24-2014, 05:27 PM
wow, much apps, so try

ReplicTuaniOne
01-24-2014, 05:32 PM
I TRY SO HAAAAAAARD AND GOT SO FAAAAAAAARRRRR~♪

BUT IN THE EEEEEEEEND- we'll have to wait till February 8th

wow, much apps, so try

Haha, much wait, such time, wow

Tiamat
01-24-2014, 05:32 PM
I sent in 90 apps btw.

I submitted over 9000+

ReplicTuaniOne
01-24-2014, 05:34 PM
I submitted over 9000+

Fay V is now over 900!... Posts :p

Kyon
01-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Great! I've just applied myself with high hopes!

Although, I'd understand if I'm not accepted.

GL to all who've applied!

Toshabi
01-24-2014, 05:50 PM
I submitted over 9000+

http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/32090i42486FFC5C834819/image-size/large/is-moderation-mode/true?v=mpbl-1&px=600

Nightpaws
01-24-2014, 06:11 PM
http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/32090i42486FFC5C834819/image-size/large/is-moderation-mode/true?v=mpbl-1&px=600

That really is pretty alarming. I don't think I can ever look at you in the same way now :P

Fiz
01-24-2014, 06:30 PM
To bring the thread back on topic...

Remember, the applications close on January 25th, so get your apps in if you wanted to apply to become a site moderator!

Sarukai
01-24-2014, 08:15 PM
To bring the thread back on topic...

Remember, the applications close on January 25th, so get your apps in if you wanted to apply to become a site moderator!

Which time and time zone is that exactly? I just submitted mine and I'm not sure if it was counted. I typed it all up offline on Notepad so I could think about it all during the time period. I'm not sure if it was still accepted despite having access to the form used.

Fay V
01-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Which time and time zone is that exactly? I just submitted mine and I'm not sure if it was counted. I typed it all up offline on Notepad so I could think about it all during the time period. I'm not sure if it was still accepted despite having access to the form used.

it counted

Sarukai
01-24-2014, 08:22 PM
it counted

Phew! That's a relief! I was worried it might have got forgotten because the form was kept up for a while past midnight here. Thanks so much for confirming this for me! :D

Kyon
01-24-2014, 08:25 PM
it counted

I'm worried mine hasn't, has it?

Oh, and also, is the "you tried" badge thing in anyway related to applying?

Sarukai
01-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Oh, and also, is the "you tried" badge thing in anyway related to applying?

Thankfully not, the "you tried" badge is based on the joke used online. If I remember correctly, if you PM Taw about it, you will happily get one. For now, they aren't really worth much and are purely for fun.

Kyon
01-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Thankfully not, the "you tried" badge is based on the joke used online. If I remember correctly, if you PM Taw about it, you will happily get one. For now, they aren't really worth much and are purely for fun.

ha, okay

Fay V
01-24-2014, 08:30 PM
It's still the 24th in the states, and we're US based (I forgot the exact timezone it's based on)

So far as I know, we have gotten all the apps that have been sent, when they don't work anymore the link will be removed so don't worry guys.

The "you tried" badge was a joke badge thing. You can PM any forum admin (the ones with red badges) and we'll give you one.

Sarukai
01-24-2014, 08:33 PM
It's still the 24th in the states, and we're US based (I forgot the exact timezone it's based on)
This really confused me. Because I was having a slight panic attack over whether or not it would be took because I didn't know when exactly they aren't accepted on what timezone. But it's in now and I'm relieved.

Damian
01-24-2014, 09:37 PM

So far as I know, we have gotten all the apps that have been sent, when they don't work anymore the link will be removed so don't worry guys.

The "you tried" badge was a joke badge thing. You can PM any forum admin (the ones with red badges) and we'll give you one.

I can't remember where I saw it but I think I read that it was Delaware.
If that's the case then the time now is 8:36PM. Y'all in the future still have time or whatever

Spiritwhitewolf
01-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Now it's on my concerns about Deaf person to work as Mod for the site. But mostly I just noticed the Main Site turn 'Deaf' down faster than I expected it. But I want to hear from one of you open up for people who is Deaf and wishful to be part of community?

Fay V
01-24-2014, 10:12 PM
I can't remember where I saw it but I think I read that it was Delaware.
If that's the case then the time now is 8:36PM. Y'all in the future still have time or whatever

Well Delaware is where the company is based. The forum isn't based there, but I think it's on eastern time, I'll have to ask Taw. regardless if the app link is up people are fine.

Now it's on my concerns about Deaf person to work as Mod for the site. But mostly I just noticed the Main Site turn 'Deaf' down faster than I expected it. But I want to hear from one of you open up for people who is Deaf and wishful to be part of community?

I can promise you that deafness isn't part of the app consideration. We're primarily writing based, and have worked with staff with hearing impairments with no problems what-so-ever. I can't think of any reason why being deaf would cause someone to be turned down as moderator.

Willow
01-24-2014, 11:04 PM
That reminds me. I submitted my app under a different username without really thinking. Would that make the app invalid or no since my email and main site names are still the same?

Fay V
01-24-2014, 11:11 PM
That reminds me. I submitted my app under a different username without really thinking. Would that make the app invalid or no since my email and main site names are still the same?

it's fine, the name change is noted in your user history.

Ibuuyk
01-24-2014, 11:18 PM
I can promise you that deafness isn't part of the app consideration. We're primarily writing based, and have worked with staff with hearing impairments with no problems what-so-ever. I can't think of any reason why being deaf would cause someone to be turned down as moderator.

I think he's talking about a user called Deaf, since he capitalizes it every time.

Saga
01-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Im a little late to say this but I like the whole "mods must be 18+" rule because it avoids problems that were prevalent in other forums.
Ya know.

Toshabi
01-25-2014, 01:59 AM
Im a little late to say this but I like the whole "mods must be 18+" rule because it avoids problems that were prevalent in other forums.
Ya know.

Word. It prevents "wet Behind the Ears" syndrome. And inexperience in life.

ShadWolf
01-25-2014, 12:26 PM
So can you only enter 1 application per person? Or are allowed to submit many, and would that increase the likely hood of being chosen to moderate?

Fay V
01-25-2014, 12:34 PM
So can you only enter 1 application per person? Or are allowed to submit many, and would that increase the likely hood of being chosen to moderate?

1. Apps are now closed, we're no longer accepting any applications

2. You should only send in one application and fully answer all app questions in detail, per application session

3. the multiple apps was a joke, no one sent in multiple apps and i'll be honest in saying it would actually hurt your chances to do this. These applications should be treated like job applications where you fully answer each question and provide details to your answers. If you continue to submit multiple to each session it looks to us like you don't understand how to focus on a task till completion.

4. this is per session. If you applied this time and want to try next time we open apps you can open up a new app. That will indeed help your chances to some extent, insofar as we know you continue to be dedicated to the site.

Chesse20
01-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Oh no I was too late to apply for admin

SirCoffeecup
01-25-2014, 06:57 PM
I only now noticed my buddies had applied. I thought it was open for apps til 25th (still is that day) and was gonna apply now.
Oh well, maybe next time

Ibuuyk
01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
I only now noticed my buddies had applied. I thought it was open for apps til 25th (still is that day) and was gonna apply now.
Oh well, maybe next time

Silly Europeans and their timezones :P

QT Melon
02-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Today is the day of happenings!!!

TealMoon
02-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Today is the day of happenings!!!Good luck everyone.

Ibuuyk
02-08-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm all settled and mostly everything's unpacked and I managed to make the Internet work for good, now would be a good time to get chosen :P

FishNChips
02-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Best of luck, fellow applicants! :>

Percy
02-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Good luck, everyone!

Fay V
02-08-2014, 07:09 PM
I'd like to start off by once again thanking everyone that applied for our moderation team. The staggering number of responses from users willing to volunteer to help our site is truly humbling and a wonderful reminder that it is the community which is building the site. Unfortunately we are only able to support a small number of positions compared to the number of applications and could not accept everyone who applied. We have sent PMs to all that were accepted.

To those that were not selected, we encourage you to try again and continue to help around the community. We are grateful for your continued support and hope to see more of you as moderators in the future. To those that have been accepted, welcome to the staff, we will be in contact to begin training right away.

As always thank you everyone for the support and anyone with questions may send me a PM.

TealMoon
02-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Good luck to the new mods.

Ouiji
02-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Congratulations to the new mods ^^

Toshabi
02-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Obviously rigged election. Totally what happened in Florida with Bush vs Mr. Global Warming.

Damian
02-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Obviously rigged election. Totally what happened in Florida with Bush vs Mr. Global Warming.

At least we tried :3c

Matt
02-09-2014, 12:44 AM
At least we tried :3c

Apply again, dudes. We had more applicants that we wanted to accept than we could.

Nightpaws
02-09-2014, 08:21 AM
*F5's the application page furiously*

QT Melon
02-09-2014, 05:52 PM
It may help to update the Staff page

https://www.weasyl.com/staff

Fay V
02-09-2014, 06:11 PM
It may help to update the Staff page

https://www.weasyl.com/staff

The staff page is linked to permissions for mods. The coders are going to update with the downtime so that will update soon.

QT Melon
02-09-2014, 06:21 PM
The staff page is linked to permissions for mods. The coders are going to update with the downtime so that will update soon.

Oh I understand that, but there is still a disconnect with the forums and main site. So when people see the news on the front page, I think naturally they will look at the staff page on the main site first. I don't think that many are Vbull savvy to know how to look up "View Forum Leaders" to see what assigned role each color coded person is?

Also speaking of which, is there a spot for "Past News" besides the forums? I mean on the front page. Sometimes people may have missed something posted prior and would like a link on the news page to see prior newsworthy items?

Fay V
02-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Oh I understand that, but there is still a disconnect with the forums and main site. So when people see the news on the front page, I think naturally they will look at the staff page on the main site first. I don't think that many are Vbull savvy to know how to look up "View Forum Leaders" to see what assigned role each color coded person is?

Also speaking of which, is there a spot for "Past News" besides the forums? I mean on the front page. Sometimes people may have missed something posted prior and would like a link on the news page to see prior newsworthy items?

that's a good point

Also I don't believe there is a past news area, but that's a very good idea. I'll add it to the redmine.

Toshabi
02-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Apply again, dudes. We had more applicants that we wanted to accept than we could.

Just keep my application posted on the fridge. That's what the police station down the street did for me.

Lucy Bones
02-09-2014, 09:26 PM
I'll keep applying, I just hope I don't keep getting denied for not having experience in the mainsite stuff. You can't get experience unless someone lets you get it. :B

TangoDelahunt
02-10-2014, 12:14 AM
*checks PMs* Huh. Okay. Whelp, back to World of Tanks.

Good luck new overlords of Weasyl. ^^

Toshabi
02-11-2014, 06:50 PM
I'll keep applying, I just hope I don't keep getting denied for not having experience in the mainsite stuff. You can't get experience unless someone lets you get it. :B

I'm more than positive doing "Ferret" work gets you the needed experience.

Fiz
02-11-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm more than positive doing "Ferret" work gets you the needed experience.

Yes. Once the ferret system is implemented in a better way, we'll consider someone's ferret work as experience, or at least enough to work off of.

Lucy Bones
02-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Then I s'pose I'll wait for the Ferret list to open up.

piņardilla
02-11-2014, 09:45 PM
It might be appropriate to change the thread title at this point.

Hewge
02-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Hnngghhh ferrets

Fay V
02-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Closing this thread for completion. Further questions should be submitted in notes.