PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 Favorite Bands

Pine
01-08-2014, 12:51 AM
The topic is simple, just post your top 5 favorite bands or music artists.
Diss people, judge tastes, kiss each others asses, you know the drill.

1. Clutch
2. The Sword
3. Rage Against the Machine
4. Kyuss
5. Primus

Ruggy
01-08-2014, 12:53 AM
Oooh I get to share with everyone how lame I am? Sweet.

- Florence + The Machine
- Imogen Heap
- Nine Inch Nails
- IAMX
- Muse

Zerig
01-08-2014, 01:01 AM
-Faith No More
-Mr. Bungle
-Ozzy
-Queen
-Mastodon

I was hesitant to put Queen, because I always get shit about liking them from music hipsters, but fuck it. I love Queen.

Ruggy
01-08-2014, 01:04 AM
I was hesitant to put Queen, because I always get shit about liking them from music hipsters, but fuck it. I love Queen.

Wait, people get shit for liking Queen? This is a thing? I always sorta figured most folks liked Queen at least a little (unless that's what the hipsters hate about them, idk.)

Pine
01-08-2014, 01:05 AM

Fuck hipsters, Queen is great. (though Bohemian Rhapsody is extremely overplayed). Freddy has one of the greatest voices.
Also, it's cool to see somebody here likes Faith No More. They're a very unappreciated band.

Kanagrooboy
01-08-2014, 01:14 AM

Fuck those fuckers. People call me a hipster for my music tastes and I fucking love Queen!

Anyhow, my top 5, no order:

-Of Montreal
-Queen
-David Bowie
-Fleet Foxes
-Joy Division

Zerig
01-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Wait, people get shit for liking Queen? This is a thing? I always sorta figured most folks liked Queen at least a little (unless that's what the hipsters hate about them, idk.)

Yeah, it because they're so popular that everyone knows them , so apparently they can't be good. I'll never understand hipsters.

Fuck hipsters, Queen is great. (though Bohemian Rhapsody is extremely overplayed). Freddy has one of the greatest voices.
Also, it's cool to see somebody here likes Faith No More. They're a very unappreciated band.

I'm so tired of Bohemian Rhapsody too, I always thought this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xok3CGNPSE0) was their best album. It's a shame it's one of the most underrated.

On the subject of FNM, I've been listening to them since before I could walk, and they've consistently been my favorite band. My copy of King For A Day is my most prized possession.

Vae
01-08-2014, 01:16 AM
1. Assemblage 23
2. Depeche Mode
3. Joe Satriani
4. The Offspring / Siouxsie and the Banshees / Bauhaus
5. Orgy / Boards of Canada / VNV Nation / DeVision

The bottom 4 - 5 are liable to change at random.

My favorite music, period, however, comes from old video games.
But I didn't feel like that qualified under "bands."

Pine
01-08-2014, 01:24 AM
My favorite music, period, however, comes from old video games.
But I didn't feel like that qualified under "bands."

I was actually planning on making a thread about our favorite video game songs, but I don't know if I should start a new one or if reviving Gibby's would count as necro'ing...

Dreaming
01-08-2014, 01:28 AM
Andy Moor
Daniel Kandi
van Buuren
Orkidea
The Blizzard

Oh boy... "lots of great songs and a few totally boring songs" dilemma

Matt
01-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Top Five Favorite Bands (without order)

Gatsbys American Dream (with hope for one more album)
Thrice (with the idea of their being the band most to live up to the idea 'I trust their next album to be good')
The Receiving End of Sirens (with credit to The Dear Hunter)
Primus (with condolences for the loss of Tim Alexander. Again.)
Gates (with this:

8cC_QLNzGQY

)

Vae
01-08-2014, 01:39 AM
I was actually planning on making a thread about our favorite video game songs, but I don't know if I should start a new one or if reviving Gibby's would count as necro'ing...
I don't know.
Maybe you could ask a mod?

I just know that I have tons and tons of shit to fill that thread with.

RainWizard
01-08-2014, 03:15 AM
-Avenged Sevenfold
-Metallica
-Black Stone Cherry
-Get Scared
-Escape The Fate

A few other bands around that list, but Avenged and Metallica have been sat at the top for years.

Krespo
01-08-2014, 03:34 AM
-Rainbow
-Blue Oyster Cult
-Jethro Tull
-Black Sabbath
-Horslips

dirtypaws
01-08-2014, 04:03 AM
1. Circa Survive (this band means, like, everything to me. the number one slot does not speak enough for how much i love this band.)
2. Amanda Palmer
3. Star Fucking Hipsters
4. ACxDC (the powerviolence band, not AC/DC)
5. Lana Del Rey (the fifth spot was a tough one, but her lyrics are too good to let it slip to someone else!)

Runefox
01-08-2014, 04:09 AM
In no particular order:

Machinae Supremacy
Edguy / Avantasia
Stratovarius
Kamelot
Nightwish
*\BONUS ROUND/* Jonathan Coulton

Tiamat
01-08-2014, 06:19 AM
In no real order:

1. Kraftwerk
2. Depeche Mode
3. Tangerine Dream
4. Vangelis
5. Enigma

FlynnCoyote
01-08-2014, 08:31 AM
No order.

Gamma Ray
Hammerfall
Firewind
Disturbed
Iron Maiden

There are some honourable mentions like Dragonforce and Stratovarius, but those five I can always make time for.

JiJi
01-08-2014, 08:33 AM
This is hard for me, as my favourite genre changes daily.
But if I pick what I listen to to help write music on my guitar etc..

Then

Emarosa
Saosin
Funeral for a Friend
Fighstar
Pierce the Veil.

Feel a bit narrow picking just these but meh.

Tycho
01-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Sabaton, Children of Bodom, Killswitch Engage, Sonata Arctica and Blind Guardian.

duu eet.

Derin Darkpaw
01-08-2014, 01:04 PM
1. Rhapsody of Fire
2. Dream Evil
3. Symphony X
4. Flogging Molly
5. Le Vent Du Nord

Matt
01-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Oh no. We have Saosin and Circa Survive on separate lists. This will end badly.

sassySloth
01-08-2014, 01:50 PM
1. Bjork
2. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
3. Genesis
4. Gang Gang Dance
5. Animal Collective

JiJi
01-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Oh no. We have Saosin and Circa Survive on separate lists. This will end badly.

I love circa survive too, Saosin just have more energy for me, although Cove got lazy.
The drumming is so impressive, but there's Anthony Greens voice too.
I'm not gay, but if I did take that road, I'd stop the fuckin car there... (please someone know my reference here.)

SirCoffeecup
01-08-2014, 03:26 PM
I can't put them in a straight up direct order, but some of the great bands that have found residence on my HDD are

(Not in any order, but all top 5 at least)
1: Ne obliviscaris
2: Symphony X
3: Communic
4: Dream Theater
5: Dagoba

And bands that are just as good, but haven't listened to as much and thus not on the list: Rush, Prodigy, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pyramaze and finally Tim Hecker.

Matt
01-08-2014, 03:35 PM
I love circa survive too, Saosin just have more energy for me, although Cove got lazy.
The drumming is so impressive, but there's Anthony Greens voice too.
I'm not gay, but if I did take that road, I'd stop the fuckin car there... (please someone know my reference here.)

Don't stop talking to me, I haven't been listening.

It's cool you bring up the drumming. Amid all the drama with Anthony Green and drug use allegations and all the albums, I still find the most interesting thing about all these dudes to be the session drummer for the first Saosin EP. It sorta blew my mind a bit when I found out he played with Slayer. (Heard conflicting stories about him being Slayer's drum tech as well, but his website said he played with them so idfk) But yeah, he was pretty fucking incredible.

Ux_ZYXUemTU

JiJi
01-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Don't stop talking to me, I haven't been listening.

It's cool you bring up the drumming. Amid all the drama with Anthony Green and drug use allegations and all the albums, I still find the most interesting thing about all these dudes to be the session drummer for the first Saosin EP. It sorta blew my mind a bit when I found out he played with Slayer. (Heard conflicting stories about him being Slayer's drum tech as well, but his website said he played with them so idfk) But yeah, he was pretty fucking incredible.

Ux_ZYXUemTU

He was! Who was he?
I remember when I first heard I can tell, I just wanted to hear more of this band, drumming wasn't as amazing on that, then I got the EP it threw me away. As does greens vocal range, I can sing all but the chorus of I can tell, only on good days I'll hit all those highs without losing breath!

I don't think I'll ever be competent to play drums to a performable degree, but if I could I'd love to work at it until I could do drums like Saosin and Circa tunes. The drums are one of my favourite things of this genre.

Matt
01-08-2014, 04:07 PM
He was! Who was he?
I remember when I first heard I can tell, I just wanted to hear more of this band, drumming wasn't as amazing on that, then I got the EP it threw me away. As does greens vocal range, I can sing all but the chorus of I can tell, only on good days I'll hit all those highs without losing breath!

I don't think I'll ever be competent to play drums to a performable degree, but if I could I'd love to work at it until I could do drums like Saosin and Circa tunes. The drums are one of my favourite things of this genre.

The drummer is this guy (http://www.patmagrath.com/), Pat Magrath. I am (was?) a drummer, and I agree completely with you that the drums (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp9k8fI3BQo)are the best part (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gotdkitGg0k)of this kind (http://youtu.be/oRkBL9nejpk?t=1m39s) of music (http://youtu.be/moqqffWGqWk?t=1m54s). It's a little pedantic, but I find in some other genres, people's live playing seems so stiff and robotic, and I like there being some space to just rock the fuck out, so to speak. That being said, it's pretty cool how Magrath was able to kind of bring in some Slayer-type drumming without pulling the record completely into the metal genre.

Honestly, I could go on about the drums on that record for days. Seven Years is so much fun to play. But that's not what this topic is about. Which is unfortunate, really. Every topic should be about that. I'll bring this up to staff.

JiJi
01-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Bringing in other genres slightly can make great results though. Johnny Craigs vocals on Relativity were amazing, soul and energy worked well.
I agree completely, also guitars and vocals in this genre can be so more expressionist and unique (odd chord progressions you wouldn't think would fit etc.) And I've also just discovered new bands, thanks! Shame this isnt the topic I love these kinds of conversations. Bribe all the staff.

Rilvor
01-08-2014, 04:59 PM
In no particular order:

1. Cinema Strange
2. Voltaire
3. Fields of the Nephilim
4. Siouxsie and the Banshees
5. Bauhaus

Ruggy
01-08-2014, 05:40 PM
1. Daft Punk
2. Chromeo
3. Manabu Namiki
4. ...
5. I don't have any others... :<

Haven't heard of the third, but those first two are solid, imo. Have you heard anything by Justice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKsL90gkbNY

Sutekh_the_Steak
01-08-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure what order to put them in, so I'll just list them as bullet points:

Electric Light Orchestra
Fleetwood Mac
Queen
Daft Punk
Arctic Monkeys

If I had to choose a favourite out of those, I'd definitely say Electric Light Orchestra. Seriously, some of their music is just so. Fucking. Beautiful.

Battlechili1
01-08-2014, 10:58 PM
1. Kansas - I love my old progressive rock.
2. Green Day - With songs like Holiday, how could I not like them?
3. Two Steps From Hell - What? This counts, right?
4. AC/DC - Hard rock is cool too.
5. Weird Al- He's funny.

JackalTeeth
01-09-2014, 02:15 AM
1. Fall Out Boy
2. Brand New
3. Panic! At The Disco
4. Passion Pit
5. Lana Del Rey

Matt
01-09-2014, 04:01 AM
1. Fall Out Boy
2. Brand New
3. Panic! At The Disco
4. Passion Pit
5. Lana Del Rey

Dude, your top three have a ton of relevance to me.

The first cover I played with my third band. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhG-vLZrb-g)
The song that introduced me to the 'pop punk pause.' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is-o9fDVSBc)
Probably the song I've song in my car more than any other. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekq2iYuVCZY)

Do you have any recommendations for Passion Pit and Lana Del Rey?

Lucy Bones
01-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Uh, I'm not sure. I don't really know if I have favorites, I like a lot of stuff. But if I were to make a list...

1. Judas Priest
2. Pink Floyd
3. Grateful Dead
4. Fun.
5. Ween

Rico
01-11-2014, 02:48 AM
This is kinda tough for me since some bands that used to be rad to me have declined suddenly.
Probably...

1. The Mountain Goats
2. Screeching Weasel
3. Sleep Party People
4. Wavves
5. Best Coast

JackalTeeth
01-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Dude, your top three have a ton of relevance to me.

The first cover I played with my third band. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhG-vLZrb-g)
The song that introduced me to the 'pop punk pause.' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is-o9fDVSBc)
Probably the song I've song in my car more than any other. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekq2iYuVCZY)

Do you have any recommendations for Passion Pit and Lana Del Rey?

That's really neat! All of those songs are so great too, especially Time To Dance. I feel like it's underrated ;;

Passion Pit's The Reeling is my favorite of theirs. I love Lana's whole Born To Die album too.

Lennon
01-20-2014, 08:38 PM
1. Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
2. The Beatles
3. Borrow Tomorrow (local band)
4. The Smithereens (Not sure if anyone knows them)
5. Oasis

Dire Newt
01-20-2014, 09:04 PM
1. Alice in Chains (w/ Layne Staley)

2. The Sword

3. Iron Maiden

4. Pantera

5. Megadeth

Ectodrool
01-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Narrowing down to my favorite bands is always ReALLY HARD WOW but after a little deliberating on it, one day, i thiiiink i'd have to say my favorite bands are

1. Streetlight Manifesto
2. Radical Face/ Electric President (same lead singer so)
3. Florence + the Machine
4. Regina Spektor
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers

I think an honorable mention would be Bastille, though

Haedan
01-20-2014, 09:23 PM
1. Rhapsody of Fire
2. Rammstein
3. Eisbrecher
4. Absurd Minds
5. CTRL

Wrobel
01-22-2014, 12:31 AM
1. Streetlight Manifesto
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bastille
Hell yeah dude :3.

1. Streetlight Manifesto/Catch 22/BOTAR
2. Mighty Mighty Bosstones
3. Dropkick Murphys
4. Incubus
5. Nine Inch Nails

Honorable mentions include Glitch Mob, Green Day, Tool, Operation Ivy... man, the list goes on. It's hard only picking a few.

zarya
01-22-2014, 01:13 PM
1. Boards of Canada
2. Godspeed You! Black Emperor
3. Pink Floyd
4. Telegraphy (just a single artist. fiteme)
5. The Flaming Lips

Also: Tame Impala, The Beatles, Syd Barrett's solo stuff, Roger Waters' solo stuff, Kraftwerk. It's difficult to decide; I listen to a LOT of music.

thatbluetiger
01-22-2014, 05:57 PM
1) Muse
2) Fun.
3) Vampire Weekend
4) Frank Turner
5) Florence + the Machine

There's still quite a few i could put in here. Arctic Monkeys, Mumford and Sons, The Smiths, Mika, etc etc

Pine
01-22-2014, 06:10 PM

2. The Sword

3. Iron Maiden

4. Pantera

5. Megadeth

I want your babies

Kirpet
01-22-2014, 08:29 PM
- The Goo Goo Dolls
- Paul McCartney
- Pink Floyd
- Aerosmith
- Tom Petty

TeenageAngst
01-22-2014, 08:46 PM

2. The Sword

3. Iron Maiden

4. Pantera

5. Megadeth

This, but replace Pantera with Rush and Megadeth with Bad Religion.

Infestissumam
01-22-2014, 09:14 PM
1. Megadeth

2. Ghost

3. GWAR

4. The Aquabats

5. Municipal Waste

Chuck
11-19-2017, 04:24 PM
1. The Beatles
2. Aerosmith
3. Pink Floyd