PDA

View Full Version : Critique maybe, pls?

Damian
01-07-2014, 01:56 AM
Hi!
So, I'm trying to get my progress going so i would very much appreciate critiquing of some of my stuff. Specifically this one here that I recently uploaded
https://www.weasyl.com/submission/313928/autumn-jog

I've got a lot of stuff I want to work on as well but I want to see where exactly I need the most help in. Backgrounds are honestly kind of a hard thing for me. Tips on trees (specifically leaves) would be really appreciated. Especially regarding colored pencil work.

I feel that...in this picture, the woman is too long. The proportions SEEM right but....idk it's just bothering me.

Thank you to anyone that takes the time in this

TealMoon
01-07-2014, 02:37 AM
I'm blunt, so sorry if that bothers you. :I

The threes dog and woman all appear to be in line with each other. There is a lack of depth.
The dog is really large compared to the woman and the trees rather short.
The foreshortening on the leg and foot is weird.
Her right arm is oddly thin and her shoulder slopes oddly.
Her crotch area looks like you're looking at it from the side rather than front.

Rinzy
01-07-2014, 03:02 AM
When you draw trees, try drawing the negative shapes around the branches and leaves. It helps to go outside and do studies from real trees for a while to get the swing of it

Edit: also, don't be afraid to use reference. I'll try to give some better crit when I'm not dead tired.

Tiamat
01-07-2014, 07:32 AM
My advice would be to do more studies. Do more simple pencil sketches, study real people and animals, don't worry about them not looking great from the start, but keep at them. Do a shit-ton, buy a block of paper and just mix those studies in amongst your own personal works and doodles.
It's refreshing to see depictions of real people and animals in casual situations.

What kind of pencils are you using? While you don't need to break the bank with pencils, buying a good art brand is really an investment and makes them much easier to use.

Rinzy
01-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Now that I'm not dead tired!

Your background has an odd perspective and doesn't seem to follow any rules. Your tree roots are on a different plane than your ground and the treetops are on the same plane as the roots. My suggestion for working your backgrounds up is to start doing small still lifes with simple objects, like small boxes, eggs, etc. and observe how they're affected by perspective. After you do that, move up to larger and more complex objects, like shipping boxes, tables, assorted household items. Pay attention to the way light acts. Even on flat surfaces, it changes across them. After you've got the swing of that, start drawing the interiors of rooms, and then move on to the outdoors. This method takes you from an isolated set of objects on a table that you can control through to less and less control that will help you create more convincing spaces.

Your figures aren't fitting within your perspective, either, nor do they appear to have a lot of structure. Break them down into basic shapes that you can see in perspective (cylinders, balls, and cubes), and try to see those in perspective. If you followed my still life advice, this part should come more easily. Go pick up a copy of George Bridgman's Constructive anatomy, and it'll give you a good start. Draw from it for practice and really read it. It's hard to, I know, because it's really dry, but the information is rather invaluable. Once you start to get a better grasp of human anatomy, it's pretty easy to start transitioning into canine anatomy if you start looking at the relationships between them.

Finally, always use reference, especially if it's a new subject that you've never drawn. Take about 15 minutes to go through google and gather photos of the things you plan to draw (dogs, people running, and parks in this case), and then spend an hour or so drawing those things in your sketchbook, as they are in the reference. Then start playing with it and pushing it in your own direction. By the end of it, put away your sketches and everything and put things together on your own and draw it from "memory." Also, don't be afraid to take your own photos and work from them (sometimes a bit more directly than otherwise, like a hand or pose reference).

Damian
01-08-2014, 01:07 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I had my own written out then the forums ate it ;~;

Anyway, I did use a reference for the woman and dog but...yeah didn't go as well as I hoped. I'll be doing more studies when I can, obv. I've been reading up on other critique threads and tips on foreshortening (I found particularly interesting).

Also, I used The Fine Touch (pretty sure they're a Master's Touch brand). They kinda feel the same as Prismacolor.

I'll look in to that book, Rinzy. I'll try to sketch whenever I've got free time (though it may be hard to come by once school starts x.x).

Thanks again for the responses, everyone. I honestly did have more written out before but I forgot it all TwT I really do appreciate it.

QT Melon
01-08-2014, 11:52 AM
If I may, there are a couple of books to help with scenery. Successful Drawing by Loomis is one of them - http://www.amazon.com/Successful-Drawing-Andrew-Loomis/dp/0857687611/

The other is Drawing Landscapes and Seascapes. http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Scenery-Landscapes-Jack-Hamm/dp/0399508066
I like looking at this one because it has a lot of good pencil techniques and goes into more detail with creating the effect. Plus it is cheap!

Rinzy
01-11-2014, 04:47 AM
I'll look in to that book, Rinzy. I'll try to sketch whenever I've got free time (though it may be hard to come by once school starts x.x).

One of the best things about owning a sketchbook (I personally recommend this one in the 5 7/8 x 8 1/4 (http://www.dickblick.com/products/pentalic-recycled-travelers-sketchbooks/)) is that you can take it anywhere. When you're sitting outside waiting for class, draw the students around you. When you're eating your lunch, jot down a few of the people in the food court/cafeteria. If you take a train or bus to school, draw the people there. They don't have to be particularly pretty, either. Just focus on the gestures and drawing fluid poses that feel real. It'll take some time, but it's entirely worth it.

kingcabbage
01-24-2014, 07:04 PM
I agree about constantly drawing! I tend to sketch the people in the train station when I am commuting to work. A friend of mine likes to sketch out in nature and goes on hikes for that purpose. Drawing something over and over again always helps, too! You get a feel for it. Try drawing dogs for a while to learn how their legs move. No one photo is going to show you everything. Draw from life instead of photos whenever possible....but draw from photos if you can't find life reference!

Basically keep drawing! Sketchbooks are the best, never leave your house without one! Try to fill a sketchbook a month.