PDA

View Full Version : Camping?

Raddy Fox
01-05-2014, 08:16 PM
I just got back from a little trip to the Peak District, UK. Me and my fuzzy foxy friend Jaffy spent the night beside some lake, and it made me wonder how many other furrys like to go camping, specially here in the UK?

I usually camp in a hammock under tarp, often taking along a small spice rack and my trusty FireBox and usually pitching up somewhere I can get my car or motorbike to. I'm a lazy ass XD A bit of bushcraft is often involved, but only when 3G's available so I can mooch off YouTube knowledge :P Though I have to admit, with the miserable sleet, sub zero temps and gusting wind last night, it was more of a survival game than the sort of camping I usually enjoy.

So whats everyone ells get up to when it comes to spending the night without a broadband connection?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdQMAIyCIAAbP8W.png:large

Tica
01-05-2014, 10:55 PM
I like camping on long distance cycling trips. I cycled around Ireland that way (well, I stayed in hostels more often than not due to weather, but I did freecamp in a bivvy bag a few times) and I made it across the state of Virginia that way also. We'd camp behind volunteer fire stations, in state parks, behind abandoned houses... or in paid camping places if we couldn't find anywhere free. :P

Tiger
01-05-2014, 11:53 PM
I'd love to go camping! Unfortunately I've never done a legit camping trip, but I really would like to. I enjoy nature very much and camping sounds fun. My friend's grandmother lives up north in a cottage by a lake. We go there every year and swim in the lake, go on boat rides, and make bonfires. Always a good time!

Dreaming
01-06-2014, 12:45 AM
I kinda like camping, but only if the weather is good

I went on a camping trip with my parents, way back in '09... I think it was Conwy County/Denbighshire (counties in North Wales). It was actually pretty great, sunny weather and temps between 20C and 25C

Raddy Fox
01-06-2014, 02:49 PM
I'd love to go camping! Unfortunately I've never done a legit camping trip, but I really would like to. I enjoy nature very much and camping sounds fun. My friend's grandmother lives up north in a cottage by a lake. We go there every year and swim in the lake, go on boat rides, and make bonfires. Always a good time!

I envy the USA and their camping! You guys have it amazing! Over here theres so many rules about where you can camp, and theres never anywhere in the UK you can go where at some point someone wont come ask you what you're doing. Theres no space over here just to be yourself and enjoy the quite.
I'd urge you to get yourself kitted out with some essentials and give it a try dude! But it is a bit of an investment, and dont skimp on your kit! Bad camping experiences are very often down to lack of the right gears/tools. A decent sleeping bag is a must. And a sleeping mat is essential! Also a decent hiking rug sack, and if you're anywhere near woods and like to go it alone, a hammock is very useful and often not to expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

I like camping on long distance cycling trips. I cycled around Ireland that way (well, I stayed in hostels more often than not due to weather, but I did freecamp in a bivvy bag a few times) and I made it across the state of Virginia that way also. We'd camp behind volunteer fire stations, in state parks, behind abandoned houses... or in paid camping places if we couldn't find anywhere free. :P

That sounds like great fun! Its the sort of camping I love :3 Though you guys must have been hard core. I'm usually exhausted enough just setting up a camp. Never mind having to have cycled to it first!