PDA

View Full Version : Who here is not a furry?

RX-149Dragonite
08-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Note: This isn't a "Hurrr furfags, yiff in hell, etc." thread, but it would be nice to know who on the site does not consider themselves within the furry fandom.

Personally, I don't consider myself within the fandom, but I will draw furry and such for commissions, requests, birthdays for friends, etc.

Uini
08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Ooo mee. Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I have some characters that would be considered furry, but they're simply characters to me.

Kitten
08-03-2012, 03:37 PM
In time, all shall bow. The Great Yiffening will convert or destroy all who oppose.

RX-149Dragonite
08-03-2012, 03:40 PM
In time, all shall bow. The Great Yiffening will convert or destroy all who oppose.

Or we could just respect others' rights to not partake in things. That sound good?

Kitten
08-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Well yeah, of course.

AtomiKamikaze
08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm not really a furry, sure I draw tons of anthro-art and cartoony-type animals and such, but I prefer humans overall. I do enjoy drawing anthros though, and I have amateur fursuited before, it's great fun!

Overall I think the furry fandom has a lot of very talented people in it! C: I've learned a lot of what I know now from furry artists as well. As long as no one gets hurt from it (one freak I know of took it too far and hurt his pets, but he was mental), I'm fine with any fandom.

Tiger
08-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I really like the furry art community but am not really involved with it outside of that.

Morphology
08-03-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm kinda in the fandom? I go to furry events, and draw anthro characters, but I also draw stuff and participate in events from all different genres. I like to sample all of the things off of the great party platter that is nerd culture.

Tybby
08-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Or we could just respect others' rights to not partake in things. That sound good?

Responding seriously to a post that mentions "The Great Yiffening"

Oh dear (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4c2lyQJOb1rnfb46o1_1280.jpg)

RX-149Dragonite
08-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Responding seriously to a post that mentions "The Great Yiffening"

Oh dear (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4c2lyQJOb1rnfb46o1_1280.jpg)

Weh

Kitten
08-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Let's hug it out, RX :>

uglytrolls
08-03-2012, 08:41 PM
raises hand

i just draw the art and such but i dont consider myself a furry
everyone assumes i am though but thats ok its hard to argue

Matt
08-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I am not. It's never held any appeal for me. It's nice that it makes people happy though.

Fiz
08-03-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm not one. I've got a few furry characters but never considered myself as part of the fandom. Got plenty of furry friends though, or as one would say it, FURRIENDS.

Also, re: the yiffening. (http://eatthattoast.com/comics/2011-10-31.gif)

RX-149Dragonite
08-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Also, re: the yiffening. (http://eatthattoast.com/comics/2011-10-31.gif)

Well if I knew that comic existed the joke would have translated better. Thanks Fiz.

obliviousally
08-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I've always been in a weird place with the fandom. I've been a part of it for about a decade, but I've never really been 'A FURRY', I guess? I love drawing anthro characters, I love making friends in the fandom (and outside, of course!), and I'm somewhat active in the fandom - attending Anthrocon and such, but...

I don't know? I'm more like some weird in-betweener, I guess?

Sometimes it's really frustrating because people assume that, just because you draw anthro characters, you're automatically a furry. Point blank. No other explanation is acceptable. But, more and more people just like drawing dumb animal folk and don't really care much for the fandom at large.

nakattack
08-03-2012, 09:56 PM
I used to be a furry.

But now I'm not. But I'll draw furries if I really​ need to.

Eminoxic
08-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm not a furry. :3

Judicant
08-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Unless who I talk to counts me as a furry: nope!

I had an imaginary animal head people person, but I don't think he'll get any use now. I don't even draw anymore, so eyh. I'm all about dem photos now.

Some good friends though, those furries. Alas that ship has sailed.

Tybby
08-04-2012, 03:13 AM
I'm not a furry. :3

Then you don't get cat-face privilege >:{

StrawberryPawz
08-04-2012, 03:24 AM
I'm not. I'm considered a Therian.

Drifloon
08-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Never was a furry to begin with but I have furry friends and they are cool bros. I admit I used to be one of the "yiff in hell furfag" people until I realized that its all the same at the end.

Karmarsi
08-04-2012, 01:07 PM
While my drawing style might make thinner minded people think "omg she a furreh! kill eet wit fier!", I don't consider myself a furry. I have no problem with them however, as every furry I have met have been incredibly kind. c:

uglytrolls
08-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Never was a furry to begin with but I have furry friends and they are cool bros. I admit I used to be one of the "yiff in hell furfag" people until I realized that its all the same at the end.

oh yeah same
i was a horrible person to furries id just be so mean to them for no reason and refused to be friends with them sometimes
looking back im kind of embarrassed but at the time i thought i was so hardcore lmao

Sinjo
08-04-2012, 02:11 PM
I find it kinda funny that everyone, save a few exceptions ' associates' with the fandom but immediately disassociates themselves after.

Kinda like saying " I like gay people, but."

Tybby
08-04-2012, 02:30 PM
I find it kinda funny that everyone, save a few exceptions ' associates' with the fandom but immediately disassociates themselves after.

On the flip side, if the furry in question equates their interest with human sexuality, I can totes understand why people would find that off-putting

Sinjo
08-04-2012, 02:34 PM
On the flip side, if the furry in question equates their interest with human sexuality, I can totes understand why people would find that off-putting

Human sexuality?

Matt
08-04-2012, 03:26 PM

I'm sorry. I'm confused. Can you clarify your point?

Fiz
08-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Except you can associate with a fandom without actually being part of it? I don't get what you're trying to say. Your comparison is pretty bad.

Like, I still talk to people in the Sonic fandom, thus associating with it, but I'm not part of it. It's the same with furries.

Sinjo
08-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Except you can associate with a fandom without actually being part of it? I don't get what you're trying to say. Your comparison is pretty bad.

Like, I still talk to people in the Sonic fandom, thus associating with it, but I'm not part of it. It's the same with furries.

It's just the way people are disassociating themselves is all.

You can replace the gay part with anything and the point remains the same.

Sort of like " Oooh I love furry art and drawing it, but I don't like furries"

Fiz
08-04-2012, 04:10 PM
It's just the way people are disassociating themselves is all.

You can replace the gay part with anything and the point remains the same.

Sort of like " Oooh I love furry art and drawing it, but I don't like furries"

I don't think anyone here said that though?

It's mostly been like 'I have furry friends, draw furries sometimes, but I don't really consider myself one'

I mean there's gonna be people that consider other people furry just because they've drawn a furry once. Shrug.

Sinjo
08-04-2012, 04:25 PM
I don't think anyone here said that though?

It's mostly been like 'I have furry friends, draw furries sometimes, but I don't really consider myself one'

I mean there's gonna be people that consider other people furry just because they've drawn a furry once. Shrug.

Just the way it was worded is all.

Matt
08-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Just the way it was worded is all.

Do you have a few examples that you could point out? If something going on in this thread is actually symptomatic of a problem you think needs to be addressed, I'd like to know, but none of the posts here seem anything like what you're talking about. We're clearly seeing this from two different perspectives. Help me understand yours.

Ben
08-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I pretty much never refer to myself as a furry. All the characteristics are there that make people go "Uh huh, so you're a furry, right", but I just don't like applying that label to myself. I have a chinchilla-thing, but I don't take it seriously in the least-- It just kind of exists. I go to conventions because I like to travel, and a lot of my friends are furries. However, a lot of my friends aren't as well, and I feel as though there are far more significant things about my person (being a writer, musician, photographer, videographer, drag queen, activist, businessman) than liking animal people. If that makes any sense.

Sinjo
08-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Do you have a few examples that you could point out? If something going on in this thread is actually symptomatic of a problem you think needs to be addressed, I'd like to know, but none of the posts here seem anything like what you're talking about. We're clearly seeing this from two different perspectives. Help me understand yours.

You really want me to point people out?

Alright, well the post above this is a great example.

Matt
08-04-2012, 05:14 PM
You really want me to point people out?

Alright, well the post above this is a great example.

I don't want you to point people out, that would make this personal. Ideally, I'd like you to point out the thought process that you've found problematic, and give at least a bit of detail as to why you think that way. You can use my post as an example if you want, but saying nothing more than the equivalent of "your post is a bad example" is just reflexive. If I am doing something wrong, that won't help me change at all. What exactly is it that you think I did?

Sinjo
08-04-2012, 05:35 PM
I don't want you to point people out, that would make this personal. Ideally, I'd like you to point out the thought process that you've found problematic, and give at least a bit of detail as to why you think that way. You can use my post as an example if you want, but saying nothing more than the equivalent of "your post is a bad example" is just reflexive. If I am doing something wrong, that won't help me change at all. What exactly is it that you think I did?

I'll use Ben's post to point it out since you can't grasp what I'm saying.

I pretty much never refer to myself as a furry. All the characteristics are there that make people go "Uh huh, so you're a furry, right", but I just don't like applying that label to myself. I have a chinchilla-thing, but I don't take it seriously in the least-- It just kind of exists. I go to conventions because I like to travel, and a lot of my friends are furries. However, a lot of my friends aren't as well, and I feel as though there are far more significant things about my person (being a writer, musician, photographer, videographer, drag queen, activist, businessman) than liking animal people. If that makes any sense.

Obviously none of the other posts are that blatant, but I hope you get the point now.

hotboychina
08-04-2012, 05:51 PM
i dont consider myself a furry i just draw furry/anthro things sometimes and am on furaffinity so i guess i can say im 'in the fandom' since i contribute to it in some way but thats all

Tybby
08-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Human sexuality?

When people put being furry on the same level as being gay

Or black, for that matter

Sinjo
08-04-2012, 07:44 PM

You can change the word around to be anything really.

Could put otaku there.

Uini
08-04-2012, 07:53 PM

Welp.

Tybby
08-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Welp.

It happens

"omg ur fursecuting me that's the same as racism"

Which is why I'm completely okay with people having a bad impression of the furry fandom

Because look what the fuck I'd be competing against

Not enough time / energy'

Edit: Is your picture Micheal Jackson from Black Dynamite?

That show is fucking awesome

Uini
08-04-2012, 10:02 PM
It sure is. Good eye!

Sinjo
08-04-2012, 10:52 PM
It happens

"omg ur fursecuting me that's the same as racism"

Which is why I'm completely okay with people having a bad impression of the furry fandom

Because look what the fuck I'd be competing against

Not enough time / energy'

Edit: Is your picture Micheal Jackson from Black Dynamite?

That show is fucking awesome

I wasn't comparing the two first off. Secondly, it's prejudice all in the same. Six in one, half a dozen of the other.

Taw
08-04-2012, 11:44 PM
I believe we should try and move back to this topic's original question - Who here is not a furry?

This doesn't seem like the place to discuss the behaviours and antics of those you've seen in the fandom, in fact, it's somewhat of the opposite! Asking who here isn't a furry and not a discussion of behaviour you've seen furries do.

Personally, I consider myself a furry - I wear a fursuit to entertain, and I participate in furry meetups occasionally, but not much else; I don't really draw the art or anything. It's just some small hobby to me.

nakattack
08-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Personally, I consider myself a furry - I wear a fursuit to entertain, and I participate in furry meetups occasionally, but not much else; I don't really draw the art or anything. It's just some small hobby to me.
Question from the slightly oblivious, doesn't it get really hot inside a fursuit? This is something I always wondered but never really bothered to ask.

Taw
08-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Question from the slightly oblivious, doesn't it get really hot inside a fursuit? This is something I always wondered but never really bothered to ask.

http://gyazo.com/c36b164b9574cda962ac6b3b57a96c75.png

That's my suit.

In summer I can't go out if it's like above 18 Celsius or I want to kill myself after 15 minutes of suiting.

Taking breaks every hour and keeping really hydrated helps, though you do sweat a ton in suit usually - at least, I do (and I don't sweat much!)

It's fun though, and I like to entertain folks and help make people smile.

IsawTheblueBox
08-05-2012, 12:32 AM
I used to be into it. I could probably get back into it. But as of now I wouldn't say I am.

Brynja
08-05-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm not. I like anthropomorphic things - not just animal people, but robots, and so on. However, it's not enough of a draw for me to join the fandom.

RadioCatastrophe
08-05-2012, 04:55 AM
I have a persona and a fursona that both share some sort of representation of myself or who I wish I was or how I feel I am. Its easier to say I'm a furry versus trying to explain why I have an anthro character to people who like to categorize and judge. I follow and accept the fandom for what it is but I don't feel like "family" within it, so no, I personally do not think I am furry but I do call myself one for others convenience.

Kayla-La
08-05-2012, 06:36 PM
These threads are interesting. It is crazy how much vitriol people spit your way if you dare to be involved in the fandom in any way at all but don't consider yourself a furry. People get really hateful and rude, as if it's really important to them to force the label on others and you're somehow insulting them personally by not wanting it. I don't even get why they care if someone else doesn't consider themselves a furry, much less get angry and tell them they're in denial about it.

I'm one of those, I've just never felt like one. I don't know. I have furry friends, but I have more non-furry friends. I don't enjoy cons, fursuits creep me out, and I enjoy non-furry art just as much (and sometimes more) than furry art. For the longest time I didn't have anything considered a 'fursona' either, just characters, but recently made a character sort of for that after being nagged to death to make one. But I still see her as just a character with some of my traits instead of a part of me. It's just not really an important part of my lifestyle and I don't tend to care about furry past liking some of the art.

Kazekai
08-06-2012, 12:39 PM
These threads are interesting. It is crazy how much vitriol people spit your way if you dare to be involved in the fandom in any way at all but don't consider yourself a furry. People get really hateful and rude, as if it's really important to them to force the label on others and you're somehow insulting them personally by not wanting it. I don't even get why they care if someone else doesn't consider themselves a furry, much less get angry and tell them they're in denial about it.

I'm one of those, I've just never felt like one. I don't know. I have furry friends, but I have more non-furry friends. I don't enjoy cons, fursuits creep me out, and I enjoy non-furry art just as much (and sometimes more) than furry art. For the longest time I didn't have anything considered a 'fursona' either, just characters, but recently made a character sort of for that after being nagged to death to make one. But I still see her as just a character with some of my traits instead of a part of me. It's just not really an important part of my lifestyle and I don't tend to care about furry past liking some of the art.

I used to hang out around a lot of furries for 2 years before I made myself a good solid fursona. You can be around furries and not be furry. In my case, I just enjoyed the company. I've always had less-than-faorable fetishes and furries were the most understanding and accepting people about them. (They aren't specific to animals, by the way.) We had a rule in a great forum community that I used to hang in. "You're only furry if you say you are." "Furry" is kind of a vague term anyway, it's too hard to define, so I generally stick by that rule because it makes everything so much easier.

Verona
08-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Here! I'm not a furry too.

ThisIsLackLuster
08-06-2012, 07:20 PM
It is crazy how much vitriol people spit your way if you dare to be involved in the fandom in any way at all but don't consider yourself a furry. People get really hateful and rude, as if it's really important to them to force the label on others and you're somehow insulting them personally by not wanting it. I don't even get why they care if someone else doesn't consider themselves a furry, much less get angry and tell them they're in denial about it.

Oh geez, I've seen that happen a fair amount myself, especially with the kind of people who are that crazy they will get incredibly pissed off enough to tell you you shouldn't be around their parts in the first place, like it's some secret club for the privileged.

Crazy stuff.

I've been interested in anthropomorphic characters mostly for the cute/fantasy aspect, I don't generally interested enough to associate with the other aspects to consider myself part of the fandom; I've never been to a furcon, don't think I would enjoy it. No fursuit, not into that kind of thing at all. The lifestyle thing leads into the really obsessive areas and I'm not exactly a fan of that myself either.

We had a rule in a great forum community that I used to hang in. "You're only furry if you say you are." "Furry" is kind of a vague term anyway, it's too hard to define, so I generally stick by that rule because it makes everything so much easier.
That's generally how I view it as well.

Kazekai
08-06-2012, 09:39 PM
I've never been to a furcon, don't think I would enjoy it. No fursuit, not into that kind of thing at all. The lifestyle thing leads into the really obsessive areas and I'm not exactly a fan of that myself either.

Kind of off-topic, but by last count, only 16% of the fandom fursuits. I've never worn one and I don't go to cons at all. :P

Lee
08-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm kind of on the fence about it. I don't really consider myself a furry, but I do think some furry things are fun?!?! I like the art and I obvs draw the characters and I have a fursona and the idea of having a fun costume to run around conventions in seems really fun, but those are all just sort of little nebulous things that I like doing... Kind of in the same way that I like certain video games and cartoons and miscellaneous shit but I don't consider myself to be in the fandom of them.

And I mean, I have some characters that are anthropomorphic animals, but I don't exactly consider them to be 'furry' characters because they share little to no characteristics with what I consider a furry character aside from the animal characteristics.

... It's a weird distinction. :U

Athuka
09-21-2012, 04:10 AM
I am not a furry, and have dissociated myself from the fandom. I use to spend a lot time on the outskirts because of my interest in some of the art, but that eventually turned into disinterest as my tastes changed. The issue of drama in one form or another was nauseating, and it seems to have exploded within the recent years. I understand that this is not exclusive to the Furry Fandom, but it's hard to deny that it's plagued with vitriol.

FishNChips
09-21-2012, 09:07 AM
I am a massive furfag, but I'm more into the AERT and creativity side of it more than anything else.

I'd go to a con, though.

Lizard King
09-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm a scaley, not a furry :V

AtomiKamikaze
09-21-2012, 12:22 PM
I am a massive furfag, but I'm more into the AERT and creativity side of it more than anything else.

I'd go to a con, though.

I'd go to a con, too. Just because fursuits are awesome and take a lot of work---and most of the time, peeps don't know who you are. I like some of the art, but yiff not much.

Wolf-Bone
09-21-2012, 04:54 PM
identity is so fucking complicated that my main issue is "black" or "gay" or "furry" or "randian fascist with a penchant for watersports" doesn't really tell you who a person is. so if i think "furry" is stupid, it's only in the way i think pretty much everything is stupid. but i'm okay with it as just a general descriptor. even though i have some therian tendencies i'd still consider myself more furry than therian at this point because half of being therian is a kind of self-denial that is neither realistic or healthy, and unfortunately, if you give that up, you give up much of what it means to have "therian" as an "identity" in a way that just doesn't apply to being a furry.

i've been around. i've seen small pockets of furrydom get pretty damned crazy in ways that bordered on therian-style fanaticism. "to be furry is to be gay, all non-gay 'furries' are really just furry-sympathizers", shit like that. but that was so long ago and so fringe (even for furry) that in hindsight it seems dumb to have been worried about it. the biggest difference i notice between furries and therians is not really of interests as much as background/up-bringing and that itself is too complicated to go into here. but i will say that a lot of furries are dead-wrong when they conclude, as they often do, seeing a "spiritual side" to their passions is what makes therians crazy.

i've often felt like i have one foot in each grave, er, side, and in each side, it seems like when the pendulum swings to one side for one group, it's swung in the opposite direction for the other. both seem to struggle with moderation.

heh, yeah, there's a lot of wimps out there. obviously the culprit is those philosophers & boylovers (https://encyclopediadramatica.se/LOGIC_AND_REASON) :geek:

Kazekai
09-21-2012, 07:08 PM
I've seen some furries believe in a spiritual side to their identities, I don't think it's specific to one group of people.

Wolf-Bone
09-21-2012, 09:42 PM
I've seen some furries believe in a spiritual side to their identities, I don't think it's specific to one group of people.

Well, depending on their personal take, it could count as a form of therianthropy. Many therians who are also furries basically make their fursona an extension of themselves. That's more or less what I've tried to do. Then again I just find it easier to do that than come up with a character completely apart from myself and then "adopt" that. The problem is these are all just meaningless labels at the end of the day. Therianthropy and furry aren't like political ideologies or religions where there's some obsession with "orthodoxy", at least not to an extent anyone except the handful who believe otherwise take seriously.

GingerM
09-21-2012, 10:29 PM
There are some who fursuit, who draw fur-related art and who attend fur-centric conventions yet do not consider themselves as furries. At the other end of the spectrum are those who simply read fur-centric stories or watch shows, do not otherwise participate in the community and yet adamantly consider themselves to be furries. And, being a spectrum, there is a vast array of folks with intermediate levels of participation, some of whom call themselves "furry" and some who do not.

That being so, it's awfully hard to say; my own view is it comes down to each person's answer to this question: "Do I feel that I'm a furry?"

StrawberryPawz
09-25-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm not.

Kazekai
09-25-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm not.

http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web05/2012/3/15/3/nice-try-applefags-10826-1331798016-35.jpg

Ibuuyk
09-25-2012, 11:36 PM
If you like anthropomorphic animals, you're a member of the Furry Fandom. Period.

Sometimes, it's simpler to make it literal and forget all the silly nuances like "you have to have a fursuit to be furry" or "you have to have attended a convention" or whatever.

Kazekai
09-25-2012, 11:40 PM
If you like anthropomorphic animals, you're a member of the Furry Fandom. Period.

Sometimes, it's simpler to make it literal and forget all the silly nuances like "you have to have a fursuit to be furry" or "you have to have attended a convention" or whatever.

What about fans of Sonic/Digimon/Pokemon/Anything else with anthro characters in it?

RadioCatastrophe
09-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Personally I wouldn't call Digimon or Pokemon creatures anthros, what human like qualities do they have? Being a semi-sentient ice cream cone doesn't really count does it?

Kazekai
09-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Personally I wouldn't call Digimon or Pokemon creatures anthros, what human like qualities do they have? Being a semi-sentient ice cream cone doesn't really count does it?

Some furries are heavy into pokemon. Besides, that wasn't the point.

Wolf-Bone
09-26-2012, 06:54 PM

yes

Fay V
09-26-2012, 08:25 PM

No, if you say you are a furry you are a furry. I can like looney toons and brer rabbit without giving a damn about the furry fandom (I have).

Furries are part of the furry fandom, and you must be willing to be part of that fandom to be a furry. Thus you are only a furry if you chose to label as such.

Well anthropomophism is applying human qualities to a non-human object. So yes a walking talking ice cream is anthro.
digimon and pokemon in general are more intelligent and humanized than most animals. Digimon can all talk. Pokemon are more intelligent than the average animal...in the manga and anime depictions anyway.

Lilyface
09-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I really like the furry art community but am not really involved with it outside of that.

This pretty much sums me up as well.

Term
09-30-2012, 01:01 PM
How'd I miss this thread?

I ain't a furry. Bein a fan of and supporting good artists doesn't limit yourself to one fandom. Just because I like someone's work who draws in an anime-style doesn't mean I'm a weeaboo.

Tapeworm
10-01-2012, 03:57 AM
I consider myself part of the fandom, but not a furry because my 'sona isn't an anthro nor does he have fur.
or feathers or scales, just skin.

PapayaShark
10-01-2012, 05:59 AM
I consider myself part of the fandom, but not a furry because my 'sona isn't an anthro nor does he have fur.
or feathers or scales, just skin.

I don't think "furry" is about having fur ._.

RX-149Dragonite
10-01-2012, 10:28 AM

This. I really wanted to say it after reading some of these responses who made it overly complicated, but I minded my tounge.

Shane
10-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Yeeeah, no. I don't think so.

I'm not a furry because I said I'm not a furry; I also like anthropomorphic animals. Hopefully that's not too hard to understand.

ThisIsLackLuster
10-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I couldn't consider myself part of the furry fandom either. A fair few of my friends seem to be and I like some cute anthropomorphic designs, but as far as interacting and being part of a furry community I've never really bothered enough to consider myself a part of it.

Kazekai
10-02-2012, 09:33 PM
This. I really wanted to say it after reading some of these responses who made it overly complicated, but I minded my tounge.

That's rude, you're only a furry if you say you are.

Athuka
10-02-2012, 10:34 PM
If you have ever liked a (singular) Star Trek episode, you are a spontaneously a Trekkie? What if you really like cars and other vehicles, does that make you a mechanophilic? Is one instantly arachnophobic if spiders are not personally interesting?
I've tried to avoid Ibuuyk's comment, but today is not such a great day. The world isn't categorised between black and white. There are thousands of variations of grey where specific terms cover only a small fraction. Liking anthropomorphic animals does not instantly make you a furry, and most certainly does not includes you within the fandom. Being a part of the Furry Fandom involves taking part within the community, but even that doesn't mean you are a furry. As a few others have pointed out: only the individual can label themselves as a furry.

Kierstal
10-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Note: This isn't a "Hurrr furfags, yiff in hell, etc." thread, but it would be nice to know who on the site does not consider themselves within the furry fandom.

Personally, I don't consider myself within the fandom, but I will draw furry and such for commissions, requests, birthdays for friends, etc.

In spirit of the original post, and ignoring all the blanket labeling that seems to be going on, I'll say that I don't identify as "a furry", if anything I identify as "an artist", which encompasses not just furry art but all kinds.

I used to think along the lines of "If you like animals, you're a furry", but I've since come to realize that identity isn't that simple. Furrydom is as complex a culture as any other, and it's just as possible for someone to like animals and not be "a furry" as it is to be born Jewish and not follow Judaism. With gender fluidity, mixed cultural backgrounds, and other such gray areas, it continues to baffle me how people can just say "If this, then this, always and forever".

Kind of silly.

RX-149Dragonite
10-02-2012, 11:32 PM
That's rude, you're only a furry if you say you are.

I'm a Caucasian person, but if I ran around saying I'm an "alien from the planet rgjkrngk with blue skin" that wouldn't be true, right?

Look, sometimes you just have to make things simple.

Athuka
10-02-2012, 11:59 PM
This'll be my last comment on this issue as I am not up for an Internet argument and it's drawing the conversation off tangent, but simplifying everything isn't necessary good, particularly when it comes to the interests of furries. Here we go:

1. Furries are lovers of anthropomorphic animals. Anybody who likes animals that have human characteristics are instantly furries.
2. Zoophiles are animal lovers. Anybody who shows any specific interest (particularly sexual) in animals are zoophiles.
= Thus, all furries are zoophiles, and all zoophiles are furries because both love (in various fashions) animals.

Furries simplified!

My apologies to anybody who I have offended with my statements. I do not believe they are true, and are only being used as an example.

Pillowing
10-03-2012, 03:02 AM
Woah this is a can of worms isn't it? Haha.

I'm with everyone who said, "You're only a furry if you say you're a furry." You pick the fandoms and labels for yourself, don't let others bully you into a setting. Just enjoy whatever you want at your level.

And frankly... It's things like Mosr above me said that actively make me want to lean away from Furries and anything relating to them. That's just not cool in my books. I love making up characters in all sorts of genre's.... I really don't believe you have to go to "Furry Level" to like an Anthro character design.

But to keep it simple, no I am not a furry. I am however a character maker! C: Can there just be a fandom for that? Haha, I guess that's art making as a whole.

Rooc
10-03-2012, 03:01 PM
If you have ever liked a (singular) Star Trek episode, you are a spontaneously a Trekkie? What if you really like cars and other vehicles, does that make you a mechanophilic? Is one instantly arachnophobic if spiders are not personally interesting?

In spirit of the original post, and ignoring all the blanket labeling that seems to be going on, I'll say that I don't identify as "a furry", if anything I identify as "an artist", which encompasses not just furry art but all kinds.

Agreeing with these two quotes. I don't identify as a furry but as an artist who happens to draw furry things. I also draw humans, aliens, monsters, creatures, etc. too. I'm not into the "furry lifestyle" but I couldn't say that I wouldn't go fursuiting if I had a fursuit, but the same could go for cosplaying and dressing up for Halloween, sooo I dunno.

Magenta
10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I don't consider myself furry because I shave on a regular basis.

Kazekai
10-03-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm a Caucasian person, but if I ran around saying I'm an "alien from the planet rgjkrngk with blue skin" that wouldn't be true, right?

Look, sometimes you just have to make things simple.

You're a furry because you have a pokemon avatar.

Ghost
10-04-2012, 12:00 AM
If you're on a furry website surrounded by other furs I don't think anyone would try and hide that they are a furry if they really considered themselves to be one.

If you post and say you're not a furry here I would be inclined to believe you. I don't get why some of you are giving others a hard time about this.

RX-149Dragonite
10-04-2012, 02:03 AM
I don't consider myself furry because I shave on a regular basis.

Thanks for reminding me I need to shave.

You're a furry because you have a pokemon avatar.

Something tells me you're trying to get at something here, but whatever.

Yes, I have a Pokemon avatar. No, it does not make me furry, due to the fact I don't enjoy dressing up as Pokemon, roleplaying as a Pokemon, I'm not sexually attracted to Pokemon, nor do I enjoy drawing anthro versions of Pokemon, or porn of anthro or regular Pokemon. I just like the Pokemon Dragonite, and the Pokemon series as a video game/anime/manga/etc. franchise.

Here's another thing: I like the Star Fox video game series, and so do many others. Does that make myself and those people furries, or just people who are interested in a video game?

And yes, I understand that the same argument could be made that people just genuinely enjoy anthropomorphic animals and not go beyond that, so they wouldn't be furry, but usually that isn't the case.

Kazekai
10-04-2012, 07:48 AM
If you're on a furry website surrounded by other furs I don't think anyone would try and hide that they are a furry if they really considered themselves to be one.

If you post and say you're not a furry here I would be inclined to believe you. I don't get why some of you are giving others a hard time about this.

This isn't a furry website, by the way, it just has a lot of us on it.

Thanks for reminding me I need to shave.
Something tells me you're trying to get at something here, but whatever.

Yes, I have a Pokemon avatar. No, it does not make me furry, due to the fact I don't enjoy dressing up as Pokemon, roleplaying as a Pokemon, I'm not sexually attracted to Pokemon, nor do I enjoy drawing anthro versions of Pokemon, or porn of anthro or regular Pokemon. I just like the Pokemon Dragonite, and the Pokemon series as a video game/anime/manga/etc. franchise.

Here's another thing: I like the Star Fox video game series, and so do many others. Does that make myself and those people furries, or just people who are interested in a video game?

And yes, I understand that the same argument could be made that people just genuinely enjoy anthropomorphic animals and not go beyond that, so they wouldn't be furry, but usually that isn't the case.

You seem to have double-standards on this issue. I don't know what kind of question you wanted answered initially but maybe you should have been more specific than "Who is not a furry?" Maybe you meant to ask who isn't involved in the fandom at all or interested in the things that are commonly associated with (but not specific to) furry interests. Maybe you expected to find a different sort of crowd than what you ended up with, like the average crowd on dA who are not typically involved with furry fandom at all or hardly know what it is.

RX-149Dragonite
10-04-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't know what kind of question you wanted answered initially but maybe you should have been more specific than "Who is not a furry?" Maybe you meant to ask who isn't involved in the fandom at all or interested in the things that are commonly associated with (but not specific to) furry interests.

Yeah, I agree.

Maybe you expected to find a different sort of crowd than what you ended up with, like the average crowd on dA who are not typically involved with furry fandom at all or hardly know what it is.

Not this though. Considering I found out about Weasyl from FA and friends who frequent FA, I expected at least a good 60/40 ratio of furry/non-furry, but whatever.

Kazekai
10-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Then, can you articulate your intended question in your own words please?

RX-149Dragonite
10-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Then, can you articulate your intended question in your own words please?

We're already 10 pages into this topic, I don't think it'll change anything, honestly.

Ben
10-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Pretty much. I think part of it is the misconception that this is meant to be a "furry" site because the majority of staff hails from that community (although a fair deal do not), and that's where the initial marketing has been targeted, although we do intend to expand to wider demographics. After all, it's not just the furry community that needs a better art site-- it's everyone.

Wolf-Bone
10-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Pretty much. I think part of it is the misconception that this is meant to be a "furry" site because the majority of staff hails from that community (although a fair deal do not), and that's where the initial marketing has been targeted, although we do intend to expand to wider demographics. After all, it's not just the furry community that needs a better art site-- it's everyone.

So in other words, it's just a business to you. Okay, that explains a lot, actually.

RX-149Dragonite
10-04-2012, 01:08 PM
So in other words, it's just a business to you. Okay, that explains a lot, actually.

Every art website is a business... How the hell else would they stay afloat?

Wolf-Bone
10-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Every art website is a business... How the hell else would they stay afloat?

There's a pretty important difference between a small business that's basically just someone trying to supplement their income using one of their passions to do it and, say, a publicly-traded Fortune 500. It's the difference between, say, FA and Deviantart? There's plenty of reasons not to like FA, but the reasons not to like DA are much different. I don't like people being bullshitted, or being full of shit, if that much wasn't obvious by now.

RX-149Dragonite
10-04-2012, 02:06 PM
There's a pretty important difference between a small business that's basically just someone trying to supplement their income using one of their passions to do it and, say, a publicly-traded Fortune 500. It's the difference between, say, FA and Deviantart? There's plenty of reasons not to like FA, but the reasons not to like DA are much different. I don't like people being bullshitted, or being full of shit, if that much wasn't obvious by now.

... Yeah, this thread is going to get derailed quickly if I try to correct you, so I'm just going to leave.

Unburnt Daenerys
10-04-2012, 02:19 PM

Something can still be your passion while developing it into a successful, self-sustaining business. Like painting, writing, or photography.

One of FA's biggest problems is that the site owner doesn't treat it like a business. They sink money into hardware, but refuse to hire competent coders or deliver much needed site updates.

Wolf-Bone
10-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Something can still be your passion while developing it into a successful, self-sustaining business. Like painting, writing, or photography.

One of FA's biggest problems is that the site owner doesn't treat it like a business. They sink money into hardware, but refuse to hire competent coders or deliver much needed site updates.

Yeah, but another problem is they really have a unique talent for letting personalities and politics trump any warmth anyone would otherwise feel for the "brand". To be blunt, they could have all the coders and stuff, but it wouldn't make them any less a nest of assholes. Was I the only one who noticed a thread here where someone, I don't remember who, said basically "yeah, I think this place is inevitably going to just be a second FA". And they strike me as being a hell of a lot less cynical than me (not that that's a huge feat). It gave me a bit of a reality check, and if that hadn't, some of my own "experiences" thus far would have. Obsessively locking threads, micromanaging conversations, all of this comes out of a fundamental distrust of your own users and it's patronizing. It breeds resent. It really does suggest to me that, indeed, it is just an extension of FA.

There's sites that have been around much longer, have a much larger userbase, a much wider appeal, and yet handle simple human interactions way, way better than this, and go figure, I'm a moderator on one of them. But I'm sure someone will tell me how it's all my own personal failings and misconceptions at work here.

Have at it, hoss.

Matt
10-04-2012, 04:32 PM
I can't really speak to the FA comparisons. I've never felt drawn to be a part of that community, so I don't have the necessary experience to draw or debate parallels. But I feel differently about one of your points unique to here.

Obsessively locking threads, micromanaging conversations, all of this comes out of a fundamental distrust of your own users..."

The threads I've seen locked seem mostly to occur (excepting duplicates) when the posts become less about the topic of thread and more about the people within it, less about "I have a problem with your point," and more of "I have a problem with you." There's a bit of truth to what you said, the threads wouldn't be locked if we implicitly trusted the active parties to rein themselves in on their own, but that hardly exemplifies a universal lack of faith. If one action represented all, then any locked thread would entail distrust in entirety. And every unlocked thread would entail an equivalent level of fidelity. This kind of declaration of absolutes just fosters contradiction, and it's not that simple.

I'd like to think that the decisions to lock or warn are more situational, and that each exemplifies a specific moment where the staff has to weigh the substance of the thread against just how far it's been taken off track. I don't think anyone on staff once to see these forums used as a place to breed conflict. Disagreement is productive, but clashes where people just want to rail on about their own points isn't really.

I'd imagine where you draw that line on your community is different from where it's been drawn here. If you're a moderator, then I imagine you feel pretty strongly about your own impression of where that line should be, and a more reserved approach might seem patronizing. That's completely fair. However, I don't think that it can be said that one is right and one is wrong. They just appeal to different people, perhaps people who would rather see blazes burn themselves out versus people who would rather not have them happen at all. I'd like to think that either school of thought can be applied positively and that both Weasyl and your site can do well, operate under the best of intentions, and ultimately provide communities that their specific members feel welcome in. Approaches don't necessarily need to overlap for desired results to.

Additionally, I can see your point about using business terms being problematic. Depending on how you look at it, it can either be seen as "these are the people we want to make money off of," or "these are the people we hope to be able to serve to the best of our ability." But the impression I've gotten is that the point of this approach is meant to be organizational and to encourage accountability, hence the hierarchy, the code of conduct, and the posting of the finances, not to break everything about the community into marketing tropes. If there turns out to be a problem with the site, it won't be because of the system.

I appreciate with your cynicism, dude, whether or not I agree with it. You might be seeing a pattern where there isn't one, or you might be the first person to see a real problem. It's not something I can really defend against; I just don't subscribe to your impressions. Ultimately, if you turn out to be right right about these things, then you won't need to demonstrate anything. This place will fail on its own.

I just don't believe that that's going to happen.

Wolf-Bone
10-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Where you fail is in not understanding it doesn't matter whether or not you try to "breed conflict". Conflict has a way of breeding itself. It's how you handle it. If you handle it by chastizing users and locking threads, it discourages people from posting and, this is just my impression, but this isn't a very active forum for having as many users as it does. It reads as, I don't know how to handle conflict, so I'm just going to shut shit down. It comes across as cowardly and, while we're on the subject of cynicism, there's two main kinds. There's the kind of cynic I am, which is, I don't trust your intentions (which I don't), and then there's the kind of cynicism I think I'm seeing here which is, I think people are incredibly stupid and I should take advantage of that for my own self-interest.

Frankly, it's not very smart to be this obsessed with managing an image and then telegraphing it like that. Also, for what it's worth, I don't think Ben should've been banned from FA, or that anyone I've argued with here isn't entitled to their views or has their reasons for having them.

None of this stops me from being on the fast track to being banned here, which I obviously am. That's why I don't like you. That's why, I think, in time, neither will anyone else except the handful of mutual friends the site will be built around, which, BTW, is how I see FA and fault it for more than the technical and financial issues.

Athuka
10-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Well, this topic has most certainly declined rather quickly. If I may ask, could the recent discussions about the website and forums be broken off into their own thread? I am sure there are a few people who would like to take part in disputing Weasyl's management without derailing RX-149Dragonite's thread even further.

Morphology
10-04-2012, 06:34 PM
I appreciate that you're cynical. Heck, I'm cynical and look at things critically. Everyone should be cynical to at least a light degree, because if you never question what's around you and become complacent, things don't have a potential to change for the better. Though from my standpoint, I don't believe I'm the kind of cynic who wants to take advantage of people. And I don't think people 99% of the time go into positions of leadership for that purpose. If I had looked at the position of Ferret and thought, "I need to babysit folks", I wouldn't have volunteered; doing things like moderating without putting some trust and care in the members of the group/forum is just joyless work. I do trust the folks here. You guys have been extremely civil and respectful to one another, and I appreciate that, and I'd never think of you guys as people to be taken advantage of, just as I hope you guys think of me.

It is true; conflict can and often does start on its own. Everyone has their own opinions and they don't always agree, and in an Internet environment someone's response can incite negative feelings. Back when I frequented the FA Forums, sometimes I would get absolutely incensed and just unload on a poster. Sometimes you get into disagreements with folks, and you let your emotions get away with you and the disagreement gets personal. It happens to everyone online and offline. Though when you see an argument and folks starting to get angry, isn't it helpful to try to defuse the conflict somewhat? It's like if someone insults you and your friend comes up and says, "hey, he didn't mean it like that. Just chill." That's what I feel like coming in and just giving a little heads-up does - defuse tension. Unfortunately, sometimes that doesn't work and it escalates and threads get locked, because I personally feel the longer you leave an angry, flaming thread open the more people get sucked into the argument and more feelings get hurt. I moderated on a forum as well, and from my personal experience folks in general resolve conflicts on their own, but in those few instances things get really bad and the whole forum suffers from hurt feelings and cliques. Though it may have just been the nature of the forum I moderated; it can vary. My point is, I feel like threads get locked not as a way of shutting down disagreement or chastising anyone, but because the discontinuation of the topic is better than the loads of anger that result from leaving it open. It's much easier to prevent a riot than to calm one down after it's started. Though then again, this is just my philosophy on it. :)

Edit: @Mosr Same? I do appreciate critique and discussion, so perhaps this could be moved to Site Discussion. And I feel like the "who's not a furry" topic has probably run its course as well.

Wolf-Bone
10-04-2012, 06:48 PM
If that's what you want, fine, I'll wait for the other thread. But frankly, I think you'd be stupid not to just ban this account because the sense of lingering hostilities over FA/FAF, or just hostility in general permeates every fucking discussion I try to have here and I don't see it going away any time soon. Honestly I think it's something inherent to furry "culture" for lack of a better word... Oh right, "it's not a furry site"... Well, maybe that's a smarter idea than I thought because I'm not sure I believe there can be a better furry site without it no longer being a furry site at all. I'm just a tad confused as to how furries think they're the ones that are going to make everyone else crossover to us instead of doing what most of us do when we get jobs and get out in the real world which is mainstream ourselves to some degree.

And, BTW, no, being an argumentative twat obsessed with logic, quote-mining and markets doesn't = mature and mainstream, or even logical...

RX-149Dragonite
10-04-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm just going to close this thread myself, since it seems Wolf-Bone seems to still have a bone to pick with me, and I don't want that.

See what I did there? Hahaha :v

But really, knock it off. Thread closed.