PDA

View Full Version : A Nintendo Megathread

QT Melon
01-04-2014, 01:14 AM
Many of us grew up on Nintendo or still play on one. I figured I break the ice with a thread that is a megathread of Nintendo related news grips, groans and fun and cheers.

I just noticed there's a Braverly Default demo out for the 3Ds, I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. Has anyone tried it, and how is it so far?

I'm currently still engaged in Animal Crossing though I got SF4, Kid Icarus and Ocarina of Time. I had thought about getting the new Link Between Worlds but the current price is a little too high for my liking.

Vae
01-04-2014, 01:20 AM
I want to get Pokemon X, Mario 3D Land, and New Leaf for my 2DS, but the price for them is a little steep for me right now.
I'm still going to order Contra 4 from the internet, at the very least.

I'm also looking forward to New Yoshi's Island.
Whenever the hell that's coming out.

Matt
01-04-2014, 01:43 AM
The only game systems I've ever owned have been Nintendo: SNES, Game Boy Color, N64, Wii, and now 3DS XL.

I still need to get Animal Crossing for the 3DS. It seems fun and harmless, and that's usually the kind of game I like, and Pascal seems like a fun guy to hang out with.

QT Melon
01-04-2014, 02:22 AM
If you want to trade friends codes 2079-7437-7216 is mine :3

BlissfulOblivion
01-04-2014, 02:45 AM
I really want Shifting World. It looks awesome <: I also want Mario Kart 7; It will be the first actual Mario Kart game I've ever owned (to my simultaneous dismay and joy).
My brother and I kind of shared a video game system collection and we have in total, the original gameboy, gameboy color, n64, gameboy advanced, gamecube, ds, wii, and 3ds. Although the last 3 are mine since he left home before I got them.
We have the original Ocarina of Time <: And I got Majora's Mask. Those make me happy. We also have Link's Awakening but neither of us ever beat it :c

I used to adore the Kirby series but I have heard very little about it for quite a while; what are the current opinions of it? :U

BlissfulOblivion
01-04-2014, 02:53 AM
Kirby's doing ok. Kirby 4 on the Wii was a must have. Epic Yarn was trash. He's got a new one coming to 3DS that looks swell. :3

I saw Epic Yarn and I wondered what was happening to the Kirby series. I hadn't seen any of the others, though. I never saw Kirby 4 :U How did I miss that? I have to find that. From what I read about the 3DS one, it seems like it should be fun <:

Also, what the fuck is up with SSB going 3DS? I have strongly mixed feelings about this :U

BlissfulOblivion
01-04-2014, 03:38 AM
I think the 3DS Smash is looking spiffy. I just wish the 3DS was a better piece of hardware. Wii U is more than fine (for NINTENDO'S games) but something like a 3DS? I'm gonna be handicapped without my c-stick. Not to mention even with the character outlines, things will still get tight on a low res tiny screen.

I'm actually kinda looking forward to the gameplay. I really like the controls on handheld devices. I just don't know how the smashes are gonna work without a c-stick. And I sure as hell am not going to use the direction pad, that's not gonna work at all >:C Too awkward.
And yeah, it's gonna be kinda small, too :I Idunno though. We'll have to see how well they do it.
And I don't have a Wii U yet so I can't say anything on that. Gonna get one in a while when I can just get all the games I want for it and not have to wait for them all to come out. I can't wait to see what they do for Zelda U <: And I refuse to believe that Hyrule Warriors is their Zelda U game. >:I

Vae
01-04-2014, 03:48 AM
Still waiting for a new Metroid.

No, I will not let that topic up.
Not until it happens, anyway.

BlissfulOblivion
01-04-2014, 03:49 AM
I mean, traditionally, smashes are done with control stick and A.

And no, Hyrule Warriors is just a crossover spin off. It's not THE Wii U Zelda (which I'm not looking forward to either). I'm praying this year brings surprises. I'd love a new Custom Robo. Gamecube game was the SHIT.

I know, it's just so much easier to do them with c-stick. Unless you want them to be powerful. :U

I kind of thought so and at the same time was terrified of the notion that perhaps it wasn't.
You're not looking forward to the new Zelda??? Why not?? :C
Dude
I played a demo of that and never found it again :c It made me so sad. That also happened with Wind Waker but I eventually did find that.

BlissfulOblivion
01-04-2014, 04:09 AM
I'm not looking forward to Nintendo bastardizing a -console- Zelda (I should have been specific) like the last one. But because I've ranted enough about how that one was Sonic 06 level bad, I'm gonna leave it at that.

I am SOMEWHAT interested in the Hyrule Warriors because I've always wanted a somewhat action oriented Zelda. Just to see what it could be like. Though you know, lol Koei. So I'm wary around it. Looks alright.

Wait. Which one were you ranting about? :I Skyward Sword?

I... guess I'll play it? It's not exactly what I'm looking for in a Zelda game but I can still enjoy it. :I

Rilvor
01-04-2014, 04:11 AM
Still waiting for a new Metroid.

No, I will not let that topic up.
Not until it happens, anyway.

Sadly, I have yet to hear even any rumors of such a thing. It's starting to make me worry they're going to go the route of Star Fox and just let everyone forget about Metroid after that one critically bad game...

BlissfulOblivion
01-04-2014, 04:17 AM
Yes...that one. I just.....couldn't believe I actually finished it.

Really? What did you dislike about it?

Rilvor
01-04-2014, 04:37 AM
Yes...that one. I just.....couldn't believe I actually finished it.

That's exactly what will happen. That's how AAA devs work. EA, Capcom, Ubisoft have all done the same thing. I'm not surprised. It's been 4 years since Other M with no word outside of them trademarking the Metroid name...which means nothing.

But hey, first week of January. Who knows?
Perhaps. Nintendo moves at a snail's pace with everything. Case in point, there was over 5 years between Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy.

Vae
01-04-2014, 04:44 AM
And yes, New Metroid would be nice. A sidescrolling one on 3DS. c:
Another classic style Metroid would be amazing.

Sadly, I have yet to hear even any rumors of such a thing. It's starting to make me worry they're going to go the route of Star Fox and just let everyone forget about Metroid after that one critically bad game...
I feel like they'll take a break from the series for a bit, and then revisit it eventually. Maybe I'm just being naively optimistic, here, but I don't think they'd throw one of their critically acclaimed titles away like that just because of one failed game. Otherwise, Mario and Zelda would be absolutely dead because of the CDi games, and some of the other bullshit Mario's been in.

Samus is also still appearing in the Smash lineup. She's a pretty popular character. I don't know if they're quite dumb enough to disregard that completely.

Rilvor
01-04-2014, 04:49 AM
We'll probably see her again eventually, but I don't always trust Nintendo. They've proven once before with Star Fox that they sometimes never stop dropping the ball once it does. Maybe it is I who is being silly and pessimistic. All the same, I would dearly love to see another Metroid built like Metroid Prime was.

The side-scrollers are great, but they just don't compare for me. They're pretty surgical in their execution because that is the nature of the side-scroller. I love them, but they don't offer near the same immersion into an alien world.

I will never, ever forgot hearing that Tallon Overworld music for the first time and just scanning/observing absolutely everything.

Vae
01-04-2014, 04:56 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the Prime series. And I normally hate FPS-style games (with few exceptions), but the Primes were expertly executed.

My heart's the most loyal to the classic formula because that's what I grew up with. The original. Super. Hell, sidescrolling platformers as a whole.

I would be happy with either one, though.
A remake of Super in the Prime format would particularly pique my interest. They'd have to rework some things (or rework how the space jump is handled in the Prime format), but walking around in first person in HD remade locations from Super?
Do want. Yesplz.

Rilvor
01-04-2014, 05:01 AM
What I want next is to see some closure on what we were left with after Metroid Fusion. It had become clear the GF were corrupt and trying to kill her all the while seizing immeasurable power for themselves. So then she gave them the middle finger and ruined everything.

I had figured we'd see Samus destroying the GF next, for becoming the next Space Pirates, but instead we got that which will not be named.

Does anyone else pay attention to the fact that Samus has become some sort of genetic frankenstein, what with being part Human part Chozo part Metroid? I think that's cool as hell.

Vae
01-04-2014, 05:16 AM
Shit, I completely forgot that Dumber M was the "sequel" to Fusion. Then again, I'd like to forget about it in general, so I guess I'm doing a good job.

I always kind of figured that the next steps after Fusion were going to be dumb politic stuff. Dragging Samus in for questioning, holding her, that kind of police crap.
Although the parallels between the series and its inspiration, Alien, grow ever stronger.

I want to see how else Samus is effected by her Chozo and Metroid (especially Metroid) DNA.
We know she can absorb X. We know she (used to) freeze from the ice beam.
I was hoping the suitless pictures from the end of Fusion would have her hair with a green tint. (Mostly because of Justin Bailey shoutouts.)
Seeing her have more Metroid-related attributes (I don't know what they would be. Possibly... needing to feed on energy as a legitimate need and not just for suit repair?) would be pretty cool.

Tiamat
01-04-2014, 05:21 AM
My dad had the Donkey Kong Game and Watch which he brought back from Hong Kong. Shit, I wonder what happened to it. Early gaming memories.

Rilvor
01-04-2014, 05:24 AM
Shit, I completely forgot that Dumber M was the "sequel" to Fusion. Then again, I'd like to forget about it in general, so I guess I'm doing a good job.

I always kind of figured that the next steps after Fusion were going to be dumb politic stuff. Dragging Samus in for questioning, holding her, that kind of police crap.
Although the parallels between the series and its inspiration, Alien, grow ever stronger.

I want to see how else Samus is effected by her Chozo and Metroid (especially Metroid) DNA.
We know she can absorb X. We know she (used to) freeze from the ice beam.
I was hoping the suitless pictures from the end of Fusion would have her hair with a green tint. (Mostly because of Justin Bailey shoutouts.)
Seeing her have more Metroid-related attributes (I don't know what they would be. Possibly... needing to feed on energy as a legitimate need and not just for suit repair?) would be pretty cool.
Sorry, I did not mean to put that in a manner that seemed incorrect; Metroid: Other Waifu was supposed to be the events between Super and Fusion. Except that it was actually exactly what happened with CD-i; The game being given to some hands while Nintendo said "Do whatever" and looked away.

indeed on the bit about expecting changes in Samus to reflect her heavily altered self. That's what gets me, there are so many interesting paths for Nintendo to go down with this. If they hadn't let that man and his fat mouth declare Prime "Non-canon" they would have had all of that to build off of. Who the hell let him say that? Prime introduced more lore than the previous games had one-hundred fold.

Vae
01-04-2014, 05:34 AM
Sorry, I did not mean to put that in a manner that seemed incorrect; Metroid: Other Waifu was supposed to be the events between Super and Fusion. Except that it was actually exactly what happened with CD-i; The game being given to some hands while Nintendo said "Do whatever" and looked away.

indeed on the bit about expecting changes in Samus to reflect her heavily altered self. That's what gets me, there are so many interesting paths for Nintendo to go down with this. If they hadn't let that man and his fat mouth declare Prime "Non-canon" they would have had all of that to build off of. Who the hell let him say that? Prime introduced more lore than the previous games had one-hundred fold.
I guess I just don't keep up with the information in the innerworkings of Nintendo that much, but they declared the Primes non-canon?
That's pretty stupid.
Yet they do want Abusive Adam and Furbidley and Kawaii Mother Brain to be canon?

Oh, Nintendo. You silly silly thing.

Rilvor
01-04-2014, 06:15 AM
I guess I just don't keep up with the information in the innerworkings of Nintendo that much, but they declared the Primes non-canon?
That's pretty stupid.
Yet they do want Abusive Adam and Furbidley and Kawaii Mother Brain to be canon?

Oh, Nintendo. You silly silly thing.

I've been watching it fairly closely. I'll break it down in a nutshell:

Team Ninja (You know, those guys famous for Dead or Alive breast physics) were brought on to create the gameplay. So they aren't responsible for this mess.

Yoshio Sakamoto, one of the co-creators of Metroid, was given permission to write the story exactly how he wanted it. With no overhead. Meaning no peer-review or critique. There's that cd-i syndrome I was talking about.

Here's some quotes to give a rough idea:

Morisawa

For the most part, it was left to my responsibility, but there were points on which Sakamoto-san would definitely not budge. An example that made quite an impression on me was Samus's Power Suit, and the way it changes color as its various abilities are unlocked.
Iwata

Ah yes, it changes.
Morisawa

At first it's yellow, then the typical orange, then finally it becomes the Gravity Suit, so that Samus is purple. That is Nintendo's official specification, so naturally we started making the final Power Suit in purple. Towards the end of the game, however, there are some serious dramatic scenes. As Sakamoto-san was watching one of these cinematics, where Samus appeared in purple, he said 'why is Samus wearing purple?'
Iwata

He said that, even though it had been the specification from the very beginning! (laughs)
Morisawa

Yes! (laughs) So I told him 'she's wearing the Gravity Suit, that's why she's purple'. His response, however, was 'but it looks strange to have this purple person popping up during such a serious conversation'. It would then become an exchange along the lines of me saying 'But this is the specification!' and him responding 'No, no, definitely strange'.
Iwata

Ha ha! (laughs)
Morisawa

So we'd consult Kitaura-san as well, but he'd also say 'yes, purple really is strange'. All I could think was 'Huh?! So what should we do now?' These kinds of specifications had been there from the very beginning, from before my time, but they'd just say 'No, we definitely want Samus in orange here'. I just groaned and put my head in my hands.
Iwata

It sounds like you had the ladder pulled out from under you. (laughs) So how did you resolve the situation?

Sakamoto is the one who declared that he "doesn't consider the Prime games canon" and is pretty much the cancer that is damaging Metroid.

Tiamat
01-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Growing up, quite a few kids had a "Nintendo" and lots of "Nintendo" games.

But to be honest, I don't I've ever ONCE seen a real licensed 8-bit Nintendo console or game. All our stuff here was bootlegged from Russia, China or wherever and had bizarre names like "Ending Man" and useless peripherals like radio aerials.

The 16-bit era brought official Sega and Nintendo products, thought SNES's were much rarer than anything from Sega. Must've won some kind of distribution battle. These days we are pretty much on par with the rest of the world when it comes to console releases.

Matt
01-04-2014, 09:34 PM
If you want to trade friends codes 2079-7437-7216 is mine :3

Sure dude. I just added you. My code's 2079-7437-7216

If anyone else wants to trade, I'm up for it. It's important for staff to be easily reachable to the community on a range of handheld gaming platforms. I'll get my game boy color friend code later.

Pine
01-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Though I'd share this. My sister sent it to me from my old childhood bedroom last month.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1412632_199509113570151_1796594624_o.jpg

QT Melon
01-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Sure dude. I just added you. My code's 2079-7437-7216

If anyone else wants to trade, I'm up for it. It's important for staff to be easily reachable to the community on a range of handheld gaming platforms. I'll get my game boy color friend code later.

LOL. That is My code X3

Lucy Bones
01-05-2014, 03:22 PM
I just wish Nintendo would get their heads out of their asses.

Motion controls suck. Everybody knows this. Not once has motion controls ever been good. Stahp, Nintendo.

Matt
01-05-2014, 04:54 PM
LOL. That is My code X3
Oops. I meant 1478 4727 6866.

QT Melon
01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Oops. I meant 1478 4727 6866.

Thank you! OMG your Mii D: lol!

QT Melon
01-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Well http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/10/eas_financial_figures_reveal_dismal_wii_u_software _sales

But the engineer blasted the Wii U so it's not surprising. http://gamerant.com/electronic-arts-engineer-wii-u-support/

BlissfulOblivion
01-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Well http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/10/eas_financial_figures_reveal_dismal_wii_u_software _sales

But the engineer blasted the Wii U so it's not surprising. http://gamerant.com/electronic-arts-engineer-wii-u-support/

Then there's this.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-has-to-give-some-of-its-3ds-money-to-another-c-1495145497

I was never real excited for the Wii U :u Like, considerably less than I normally am for a new Nintendo system. I feel like they're trying to market it like an entirely new system but its relationship to the Wii is appearing to me more like how the DS Lite was related to the DS. :I The only reason I actually want one is for Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, the next LoZ game whenever it comes out, and a few other things. :s

Krespo
01-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Precisely why Nintendo needs to scrap hardware (except handhelds) and just move to make games on PS4, XBone, and PC.

Could you imagine the profits made making games for hardware people actually want? It could completely revitalise Nintendo, they could take risks again.

Rilvor
01-06-2014, 10:35 PM
I don't think so. Anything that advocates less diversity in the market is ultimately harmful to gaming as a whole, especially when the market is under harsh criticism for being bland and repetitive.

To pull a recent quote from Newell: "You need people who are adaptable because the thing that makes you the best in the world in one generation of games is going to be totally useless in the next," he said. "So specialization in gaming is sort of the enemy of the future. We had to think about if we're going to be in a business that's changing that quickly, how do we avoid institutionalizing one set of production methods in such a way that we can't adapt to what's going to be coming next."

I don't think it's ever going to happen, given that Nintendo as a company is fine and they will always do things their way.

Krespo
01-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Sega got away with two underwhelming consoles before they stopped making home consoles. True, Nintendo have their handhelds, but there is precedent for a major company going multi-platform. I'm more curious than anything to see what will happen to Nintendo next console generation, as far as their games go I'll only care if a new Metroid is in the works.

Rilvor
01-06-2014, 10:49 PM
The point is moot. If PC, and two underpowered PCs, is all we have to choose from then gaming dies a little. Fortunately, new things are on the horizon that may change the landscape drastically.

Rilvor
01-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Irrelevant no, unprofitable (In the case of Wii U) yes. That's what they get, I hope they learn from it, but hoping for the demise of something that explores new ground is not helping the industry.

Krespo
01-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Irrelevant no, unprofitable (In the case of Wii U) yes. That's what they get, I hope they learn from it, but hoping for the demise of something that explores new ground is not helping the industry.

Nintendo's innovation (at least the last two generations) lies in the peripherals they make. They can still create those for other consoles, if they can truly come up with something other than motion control. Every groundbreaking game they're sure to come up with will play just as well on any other console.

Runefox
01-06-2014, 11:33 PM
The point is moot. If PC, and two underpowered PCs, is all we have to choose from then gaming dies a little. Fortunately, new things are on the horizon that may change the landscape drastically.

The WiiU is a PC as well, as long as we're talking architecture. It's not x86 but it is PowerPC, which until 2006 Apple used quite happily in their entire Macintosh lineup. By extension, the Wii and Xbox 360 were both PowerPC as well, as was the Gamecube; The original Xbox was actually a Pentium 3. The PS3 also had a PowerPC processor along with its unique Cell coprocessors (SPE's).

If you wanna get real technical about it, the Sega Genesis used the Motorola 68000, which Apple also used in their Macs at the time. The NES used an MOS 6502, as did the Atari 2600, Commodore VIC-20, Apple IIe, BBC Micro, and a number of other home computers. The SNES used a 16-bit derivative of this, the 65816, which was also used in the Apple IIGS. The Game Boy used a modified Z80/8080 hybrid, which were commonly used in PC's of the 80's. The GBA, DS, and 3DS are all ARM-based, which you'll recognize from smartphones and tablets but were also used for PC competitors of the 90's as well as supercomputers.

It's not the architecture that matters, it's what you do with it. I think it's pretty safe to say Nintendo didn't really do much with the WiiU; They're throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. Devs don't quite know what to do with the tablet controller and for good reason - It's not clear if it should be used for off-screen play or if it should be used as a second screen. In either case, nothing that depends on the tablet can really be implemented because it would obviate off-screen play. Even Nintendo isn't doing anything particularly interesting with it; It's not like a DS where you always know you have the touchscreen and a second screen available. And really, the tablet controller basically just makes it into a glorified DS. It's not really as innovative as people make it out to be.

In fact, I'm not entirely sure why people keep saying Nintendo is the only one innovating in the gaming arena. Sony and Microsoft have done their share of it, and Sega out-innovated Nintendo to their own peril. Nintendo's innovations are mostly in their distant past.

BlissfulOblivion
01-07-2014, 01:16 AM
I'm mostly just keeping up my hopes (however naive or ignorant they may be) that Nintendo will find a way to make something a little more creative. I don't like change and new things and that means it would upset me if I were obliged to move to Sony or PlayStation because Nintendo stopped :V (only have sarcasm, the rest is a very blunt truth)

Wolf-Bone
01-07-2014, 01:17 AM
Sega Nomad did what better, exactly? I have one of those packed away somewhere. It wasn't really great as a portable gaming device. The thing was huge, and who the hell carries Genesis carts in their bookbag/purse/wallet? The battery life was negligible and the screen wasn't very good either. It was a decent novelty item and got me through a long two weeks of house-sitting one winter. But, you know, if I'd had the necessary cables I'm pretty sure I could've hooked it up to the TV, which would've been preferable to the novelty of "ooooh, I'm playing a Genesis in my hands, the whole thing!".

I'll give Nintendo credit for "innovation". But it's kind of a backhanded compliment what I have to say I think that word means in Nintendo terms. If you think about it, all Nintendo really does is take ideas people had for a long time but were too chicken-shit of "risk" and "shareholder meetings" to give a shot, does them in the most limited way for the lowest cost humanly possible, thrusts the half-baked, unfinished "product" on the world and screams "are you not entertained?!" "look, assholes, this idea can work... well, it would, if we'd actually invested more time, money and strategy on it. here, take this and develop it further at your own expense so we can reverse engineer it later and take the credit just out of brand recognition".

Except that never quite happens. The NES all but single-handedly pulled gaming back from the grave after the video game industry crash. Just a few years later, along comes the Gameboy. Now portable TVs had been around for a while though they were certainly a niche product. So you can't tell me portable gaming wasn't something people were already dreaming of. And the Gameboy was amazing in its own right for having games that looked, played, and sounded basically like, well, if a NES fucked a digital watch and drank some kind of greenish-yellow moonshine heavily for each and every day of the pregnancy. Well fell n love with it the same way we did the token Down's Syndrome kid we all had in our class back in elementary school. We loved it because of its flaws as much as in spite of it. But just like that kid isn't supposed to be the prom king or captain of the football team, the Gameboy wasn't supposed to be the best example of portable gaming.

Do you know why it took so long just for there to be a Gameboy Color, let alone something like the Gameboy Advance? Because Nintendo didn't bet on having to be the ones just to figure out how to even build machines capable of both pulling off colorful, smoothly animated, detailed sprites (or even polygon geometry) and lasting more than 15 minutes on a couple of AA batteries. They were just whetting people's appetite, giving them a taste of what might be possible... And then taking it for granted that someone else would do something 10 times better than them on a purely technical level, which they would then blatantly copy and profit from, greatly, by throwing a fucking Mario or Zelda or Donkey Kong game on it and putting it in a prettier box.

The strategy would've been brilliant if they hadn't overlooked a few important principles. Mainly, that every other company on the face of the earth was thinking what they were thinking, and saw Nintendo's scaled-down, bite-sized preludes of "the next big thing" as being said next big thing, for them to copy. Additionally, they had a warped attitude towards competition to that of Nintendo. Nintendo's was "and we'll steal their improved machines, then crush them with our name alone!", whereas the competition's (mainly Sega and Atari with the Game Gear and Lynx respectively) was "fuck their brand recognition, or even making the hardware efficient and affordable. everyone will drop them like a hot potato because our shit is in color and (poorly) back-lit!".

So by the time Nintendo finally improve on their own designs, the results are already somewhat obsolete because something has since come along that does it better, or does shortly after. I'm saying this as someone who recently got a 3DS XL and loves it, I mainly want it for what it could be more than what it actually is. Yes, I can take grainy, blurry, pseudo-3D pictures of my knob. I belong to a very elite, special club. But the only people I can impress with my 3D knob are other people who own a 3DS and have most likely already seen much better 3D porn, with their special glasses and bigger, sharper screens, watching stuff shot with cameras that, while hardly what James Cameron used to shoot Avatar, don't have to try hard to surpass that 2.5 megapixel per-lense shite Nintendo crammed haphazardly into what's functionally an iPhone Touch with fewer features and a similar ratio of quality content to shovelware.

One final thought. Back to the Sega Nomad. Just picture, if you will, trying to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles on that thing. Or better yet, plugging a 32X into it. Then you could have a "portable" 32X! Now, just just duct tape a fusebox to a gas generator, plug a power bar into it for the 32X's separate power source, lug all that shit onto the bus/plane and you too can experience the joy of playing Primal Rage on the go! Be sure to take a spare jug of gas with you!

Krespo
01-07-2014, 01:25 AM
That was beautiful. I truly missed your posting-style.

Runefox
01-07-2014, 01:26 AM
I think the point Pachi was trying to make is that Nintendo hasn't really done anything innovative with the WiiU. They're touting off-TV play as this big new thing, but consoles like the Sega Nomad and earlier TurboExpress did the same thing over a decade before. He's trying to point out what you said yourself: They take ideas that failed for others and very, painstakingly cautiously look at ways of implementing them on the cheap without really thinking them through on a practical level. Practically all of Nintendo's recent 'innovations' have been done before, usually by their early rivals; The only thing that sets them apart is that they fully integrate them instead of making them mid-life accessories.

Wolf-Bone
01-07-2014, 01:49 AM
That was beautiful. I truly missed your posting-style.

Loafy what name(s) you go by on FAF? I don't remember people from back in the day it seems. Feels like ages ago I last posted there.

Krespo
01-07-2014, 01:53 AM
Loafy what name(s) you go by on FAF? I don't remember people from back in the day it seems. Feels like ages ago I last posted there.

When you were active I was secretfur, then I became really obsessed with bread.

BlissfulOblivion
01-07-2014, 01:57 AM
When you were active I was secretfur, then I became really obsessed with bread.

ot: same :V bread is the greatest. what a thing to get a name from, though!

Krespo
01-07-2014, 02:06 AM
ot: same :V bread is the greatest. what a thing to get a name from, though!

Some men desire power, others lust for gold. Me? I just like a fresh loaf.

BlissfulOblivion
01-07-2014, 02:17 AM
Some men desire power, others lust for gold. Me? I just like a fresh loaf.

I see :u I just want the sexy men ;3c

Wolf-Bone
01-07-2014, 02:19 AM
Some men aren't motivated by anything logical, like nourishment or their cardiovascular health. Some men are furries. And some furries just want to watch the toast burn.

Matt
01-07-2014, 02:24 AM
A Nintendo Megabread

Anyone want to give me a Pachirisu? It was my birthday 84 minutes ago. I can give you a vulgarly named Solrock.

Red
02-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Well there. Nintendo thread established.

Also, how funny that we discuss Nintendonuts in the other thread and the last message of this one talks about Nintendo Megabread. Nintendo should get back to making food as it did in the sixties/seventies !

edit : how fitting that this nonsensical post is also my 100th ^^'

Krespo
02-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Wonder if Nintendo plans to revive some more NES classics. And I mean make actual games. The Wii saw 3 new brilliant Excite titles. One even at launch. Those were real treats. It also got a brand new Punch-Out, and the 3DS saw Kid Icarus.

Trying to think of what else THEY made. I bet a new Ice Climber would make a cute little co op platformer.

Ice Climbers would be fun. You could have teams of 2vs2 in a race, with someone controlling level layout and hazards on the Wii U tablet.

Krespo
02-28-2014, 11:08 PM
lol reality amirite?

Cant really think of any other series they could bring back. I was a Segabwah all my days you see.

Red
03-01-2014, 03:14 AM
They have to remake Urban Champion !

... No, just kidding, it would prolly be awful.

Krespo
03-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Nintendo is all about the local multiplayer, but it'd be nice to have the online option when say you're the only one with a Wii U in a 100 mile radius.

Infestissumam
03-04-2014, 03:09 PM
So Retro Studios is officially absolutely fucking stupid. (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/donkey-kong-tropical-freeze-dev-didn-t-want-to-shoehorn-online-play-into-the-wii-u-game/1100-6418070/) Yeah, this confirms it. Nintendo is fucking afraid of the Internet. lol
This is I believe, the 6th incident of them coming out 100% against something as basic and important as online.

To be fair, why would you want to play DKC online? It's always been a single-player game and I understand why Retro didn't want to put it in. I'd rather an interesting multiplayer than a shitty one, and if it was going to be shitty multiplayer, I'd rather not have multiplayer.

Krespo
03-04-2014, 03:50 PM
DKC TF is co op.
And I'm sorry, but adults don't typically have time to go to a friends house everyday to play Donkey Kong. Online play in anything with multiplayer is only practical.

Pfft like Nintendo care about adults. [well known and frequently posted Walt Disney quote here].

Carnau
03-04-2014, 03:57 PM
My sister's friend just gave us his N64. The only gave we have for it is Zelda: Majora's mask and I haven't gotten too far in it do to studies, but it makes me happy knowing that it's here. I used to have this game + console when I was younger but then my uncle sold it one day without telling us where it went.

I now have a reason to post in this thread lol. c:

Krespo
03-04-2014, 06:24 PM
It's like they dont realise adults are the only people with money :/

Runefox
03-04-2014, 07:32 PM
To be fair, why would you want to play DKC online?
To be fair, why would you want to play any game online? Once upon a time, online multiplayer wasn't specifically "designed for online", it was just multiplayer, over the tubes. It's shocking how many people forget this and say things like "such and such a game was never designed to be online".

Like, if you had the option of playing Goldeneye 007 with your friends online or via LAN instead of the local split screen garbage, you probably would.

Krespo
03-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Like, if you had the option of playing Goldeneye 007 with your friends online or via LAN instead of the local split screen garbage, you probably would.

I would play the crap out of that. There's a Source remake I've been meaning to try, then ALL THE FUN.

Infestissumam
03-04-2014, 08:12 PM
To be fair, why would you want to play any game online? Once upon a time, online multiplayer wasn't specifically "designed for online", it was just multiplayer, over the tubes. It's shocking how many people forget this and say things like "such and such a game was never designed to be online".

Oh, I actually didn't realise the new DKC even had multiplayer to begin with. DKC never needed multiplayer to be fun, and although I've not tried it out, I have a feeling it's not all that special, whereas Goldeneye's multiplayer (by the way, you can play it online via Project64) is a whole experience in itself. It's not a matter of DKC being designed to be online, I don't think it's the best game for multiplayer period.

That said, I should actually see if I can find any footage of its multiplayer and see if it actually works out well.