PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock, anyone?

Sutekh_the_Steak
01-02-2014, 10:19 PM
This is a thread about the BBC series Sherlock, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. Given that it started its third series yesterday I thought now would be a good time to make a thread for the show.

I've been watching the show since 2012, when my parents convinced me to watch it - "Sit down, you'll really enjoy this", or words to that effect. I was reluctant at first but gave in after they kept nagging me. Initially I thought I'd be a bit bored and wouldn't enjoy it, but ended up enjoying it hugely. Seriously, it was fantastic! It hooked me. I watched the next two episodes and loved them just as much (The Hounds of Baskerville was the best one, in my opinion). Then, just as everyone else had to, I waited two years until it came back yesterday (which I also really enjoyed).

Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat have written wonderful stuff for the series, and Steven Thompson did a fantastic job with The Reichenbach Fall (series 2 episode 3) too. I haven't seen the episode he did for series 1 though - I got both series 1 and 2 on Blu-ray for Christmas but I've yet to watch series one, of which I've only seen one episode (the first one).

So, that's my two cents - does anyone else here watch it?

Dreaming
01-02-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm not really the biggest fan of the BBC series but my mom watches it I think... I've seen some of the older ITV series though

Gumshoe
01-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Is there a mystery element to this series?

Sonata
01-03-2014, 01:30 AM
Well yeah, it's Sherlock Holmes, only the most famous detective in literature.
I thoroughly enjoyed the series and the past two seasons, and they kicked off this season three very well. I cannot count how many times I laughed because those scenes were just gold. they put in a good balance of serious stuff and the awkwardness, and mystery of Sherlock's return.

That and for some reason Cumberbatch looked 10000x more attractive oops.

Gumshoe
01-03-2014, 01:34 AM
Well yeah, it's Sherlock Holmes, only the most famous detective in literature.
I thoroughly enjoyed the series and the past two seasons, and they kicked off this season three very well. I cannot count how many times I laughed because those scenes were just gold. they put in a good balance of serious stuff and the awkwardness, and mystery of Sherlock's return.

That and for some reason Cumberbatch looked 10000x more attractive oops.
Thanks. It's just that I heard the Sherlock movies were a bit more action-packed than crime solving (I may be wrong).

BlissfulOblivion
01-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Omg I love the new BBC Sherlock
That and DW are the reasons that I'm so sad that I don't have BBCA :C They're so great!
Although the Sherlock fandom is kind of crazy from the, y'know, three episode seasons and great (three year) gaps between them.

The Hounds of Baskerville was terrifying ;m;

Sutekh_the_Steak
01-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Thanks. It's just that I heard the Sherlock movies were a bit more action-packed than crime solving (I may be wrong).

I think you might be getting mixed up with the two films that had Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes. They're good, but I would agree, they are more sort of action than crime solving IIRC.

If you're not getting mixed up though then my apologies.

SirCoffeecup
01-03-2014, 09:41 AM
I never found this Sherlock resurrection to be interesting at all.
Seemed like a show catered to young people, and I don't like how they threw Sherlock to the modern times.
When it comes to detective stories, nothing beats Hercule Poirot, or in literature, Poe's Dupin

Gumshoe
01-03-2014, 11:25 AM
I think you might be getting mixed up with the two films that had Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes. They're good, but I would agree, they are more sort of action than crime solving IIRC.

If you're not getting mixed up though then my apologies.
No, you're right, I was getting mixed up. If this series has a mystery element to it, then I'll try it out. I have always been a fan of crime solving series.

Damian
01-03-2014, 01:00 PM
It definitely does have a mystery element to it. I love this series and i nearly fell over myself when i saw it was coming back

Percy
01-03-2014, 02:00 PM
I watched an episode of it with my dad just yesterday. It seemed like quite an interesting show; something I would enjoy watching.
That and Benedict Cumberbatch is quite the actor. My sister's admitted to not liking him but enjoying the show.

NotXaerun
01-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Season 3, ep 1? Oh god, the bromance theory between Moriarty and Sherlock was kickass. Also loved that they address popular fan theories~

BlissfulOblivion
01-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Season 3, ep 1? Oh god, the bromance theory between Moriarty and Sherlock was kickass. Also loved that they address popular fan theories~

NOooo!!!! ;m; I haven't seen it yet. Stupid america...

NotXaerun
01-03-2014, 11:21 PM
NOooo!!!! ;m; I haven't seen it yet. Stupid america...

Well, keeping spoilers to a minimum, I can inform you that Moriarty and Sherlock are not, repeat, NOT, doing the sex together.

BlissfulOblivion
01-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Well, keeping spoilers to a minimum, I can inform you that Moriarty and Sherlock are not, repeat, NOT, doing the sex together.

th anks for the lack of spoilers
I'll try to see if I can jack one of my friends' BBCA sometime soon...

Sonata
01-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Benedict Cumberbatch is a doll. I find him so very attractive. Maybe it's my weakness for British men...but fuck it I think he is a babe. Also his acting, really really well done. I also die a little from happiness when he speak because he has such a seductive voice.

-fangirl mode off-

I honestly cannot see Sherlock being played by anyone else. It has to be Cumberbatch, because he has given the character so much life and charisma that I would not recognize Sherlock if Cumberbabe I MEAN Cumberbatch isn't him.

AND PERCY. The rest of the episodes are just as engaging. I love how they focus a lot on the mystery aspect and the characters are developed and intriguing. Definitely worth watching ^^

Sonata
01-05-2014, 09:32 PM
AIGHT AIGHT
who watched today's episode???
SO SO SO AWESOME OK. Just as spunky and engaging as the last, and it was hella intense. real good character development.

BlissfulOblivion
01-05-2014, 09:38 PM
AIGHT AIGHT
SO SO SO AWESOME OK. Just as spunky and engaging as the last, and it was hella intense. real good character development.

//wails of agony and envy trailing off into the distance

Make sure no spoilers end up in this, or you use the spoiler tag thing :C

Sutekh_the_Steak
01-05-2014, 09:42 PM
AIGHT AIGHT

It was awesome. :3

Ranguvar
01-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Well that's disappointing........

Benedict Cumberbatch is a doll. I find him so very attractive. Maybe it's my weakness for British men...but fuck it I think he is a babe. Also his acting, really really well done. I also die a little from happiness when he speak because he has such a seductive voice.
Is it just me or am I the only one that thinks Martin Freeman is more attractive? I wont deny he's a great actor, but he kindly looks like an otter (http://redscharlach.tumblr.com/post/19565284869/otters-who-look-like-benedict-cumberbatch-a#)

BlissfulOblivion
01-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Is it just me or am I the only one that thinks Martin Freeman is more attractive?

No; I agree. :u Cumberbatch has his cold, sharp, chilly form of handsomeness but Freeman is definitely cuter.

I wont deny he's a great actor, but he kindly looks like an otter (http://redscharlach.tumblr.com/post/19565284869/otters-who-look-like-benedict-cumberbatch-a#)

Lies! >:C Otters are much cuter.

Sonata
01-06-2014, 12:17 AM
I find Martin Freeman to be attractive too but in a more cutesy, adorable way.

Ben has a different appeal...If it's not the cheekbones or the eyes his voice is what really seals the deal for me.

AND WATER U TALKING ABOAT Sherlock IS an otter.

BlissfulOblivion
01-06-2014, 12:24 AM
I find Martin Freeman to be attractive too but in a more cutesy, adorable way.

Ben has a different appeal...If it's not the cheekbones or the eyes his voice is what really seals the deal for me.

AND WATER U TALKING ABOAT Sherlock IS an otter.

you better clam it with those water puns :V they aren't reel funny >:I Sea what I mean?

He's not cute enough to be an otter! Otters are so much cuter! >:C

Sonata
01-06-2014, 04:52 PM
but now I'm concerned about how the story is gonna flow. there was so much foreshadowing, and its clear as day in the end that some things won't be the same. I like Mary and John together, really, but Sherlock by himself may not be the same :C that ending was sad.

Hardrockangel
01-06-2014, 05:00 PM
I thought the episode was lacking coherency. Also, Moffat's treatment of women was shining through in this episode again and it's starting to irk me in all the shows he writes for. :c