PDA

View Full Version : Music furs! What do you do?

JiJi
01-01-2014, 09:10 PM
What instruments do you play, what kind of music do you prefer to play?
Are you in a band? Choir? Country trio?

I'm reviving an old post hardcoreband, and making some demos for a really old punk rock band
I've played guitar for 12 years and been singing for 3.
I play a little drums, bass and very little keys.
I also play acoustic, and am writing an album which I'll produce at university soon.

Krespo
01-01-2014, 09:23 PM
I've been a guitarist for about eight years now, and a tin whistler for about eight hours. Playing alone I prefer solo fingerstyle pieces, but with friends or my brother I love playing doom metal. Classic stuff, with grinding riffs you can either headbang or make a sex to c:

If you've ever seen lonlonjp on youtube, or listened to any Uncle Acid, you'll know what I do. Recently I find myself making jokey acoustic songs for some reason.

This year I'd like to improve my blues improvisation, because I love the blues (they tell my story :v). Learning more songs on the tin whistle is also a priority, mostly because it's so damned fun.

Sonata
01-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Though I am not an active musician YET, I have background in singing. I love to do it and I believe I have a pretty good voice. I got most of my experience from choir back in high school, it helped a lot in developing my voice. I do miss it though I would like to maybe form a group sometime or something. Performing is something I definitely want to do again.

RainWizard
01-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Guitar 'n' Drums :)

Quite proficient at drums, but still working hard on guitar

TobyDingo
01-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Casually making instrumental HipHop for a friends record label when i can find the time. Also a vintage breaks and samples enthusiast.

BlissfulOblivion
01-10-2014, 11:52 PM
I'm pretty good at the violin given how long I have been playing. I actually don't have a preferred music genre to play, but I know that I generally strongly dislike playing Baroque music. It's so irritating >:C Most baroque music isn't very pretty and the whole point of it is to play fast, not necessarily pretty. I much prefer romantic, classical, and 21st century music. I don't have much experience with modern music nor much 21st century stuff. I would really love to, though. I currently play in a stupid little school orchestra with a shitty-ass director who has infinite bias and no knowledge of strings technique. This will also be the second year I play in the district honors orchestra and I'm looking to try to join the district youth symphony next year, as well as collect some good and nice people to play in a small ensemble with.

Batty Krueger
01-13-2014, 04:41 AM
DJ in socal club/rave scene.
Stand in guitar player for socal punk bands.

Does bouncer count?

JiJi
01-13-2014, 06:33 AM

Does bouncer count?

If you make it an art then yes!

RainWizard
01-13-2014, 03:17 PM

Does bouncer count?

If you kick them out of the door to the beat of the music, yes. 4/4 chuck-outs are the way forward.

Rory
01-14-2014, 06:18 AM
If you've ever seen lonlonjp on youtube, or listened to any Uncle Acid, you'll know what I do. Recently I find myself making jokey acoustic songs for some reason.

I actually have lonlonjp somewhere in my playlists! That's pretty awesome, not to mention your guitarist experiences.

As for myself, I'm still just an amateur acoustic guitarist equipped with a Breedlove, with a little experience on the piano. I want to venture more into electric guitar someday, but I'm pretty satisfied with my progress within 2 years. Most people are shocked to find out I've only been playing for that little, but I simply say it's because I just practice every single day. Even if it's just a few minutes, even if I'm just playing around the frets while watching something, I make sure I know my instrument inside and out.

My original inspiration came from videogame music and such, but I find a lot of it doesn't really translate well onto the acoustic guitar (which is why I need to get up to speed with electrics), so I do a mix of covers of songs I like while also writing my own original stuff. This ranges anywhere from pop music, anime, to even country. Heck, I took a techno song once and turned it into an acoustic number!

I've never been in a band, but I really hope to someday even though I'm in my mid-20s. I think I could really up my playing level if I had other people to get in synch with, and to just jam in general. Most likely, my life will be spent refining my own personal skill. Nothing wrong with that, as each song tells a story, and I'll keep tellin' them 'til I can't use my hands anymore!

Tenaar Feiri
01-17-2014, 06:26 PM
My primary instrument used to be my voice, but I haven't really used it since I graduated from High School 3 & a half years ago, so that makes 11 years of singing as of then. These days I'm all about the piano however, working hard on mastering the instrument.

thatbluetiger
01-19-2014, 11:59 AM
I've played viola for 8 years, it is my primary instrument. I have played violin on the side too.
I learned guitar 3 years ago, but I haven't played in months
And I learned ukulele awhile back and I break it out to play the five songs I know from time to time xD

For those who don't know- a viola is a larger, deeper, and more awesome version of a violin.

Namba
01-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Been playing guitar for nearly five years. A friend of mine described me as a riff factory. Hopefully we'll have our project finished some time this year. I may do a few guitar covers and post 'em.

Velo
01-20-2014, 05:03 AM
Been playing the oboe for lmore then 10 years now?
I'm not really that active, but I've got my orchestra and musicals that keep me giving it a bit of the attention it needs.
No, not a pro, but who cares? I've been doing musicals with 1500+ people in the audience and professional orchestra because the just didn't have an oboe available. :') (Ok, I failed royaly at the start, bit still ^^' )

Bri Mercedes
01-20-2014, 05:45 PM
I was Trumpet/French Horn/Baritone/Soprano voice in band and choir before I didn't have time for that stuff anymore. I still sing in the car and in church- whatever chance I get! I live in a townhouse now, so I don't want to bother the neighbors with my big brass instruments. :>

Zack Valence
01-21-2014, 04:59 AM
I'm not really that good at playing instruments, but I pride myself on my singing.
I haven't put any of my good vocal tracks on Weasyl yet, but when the time comes, I will.

I spend most of my music time composing for Homebrew Game projects. That all started when I used to be into RPG Maker XP and got involved in the community.
I actually don't know much about musical theory; half of my tracks are just thrown together and end up sounding nice. XD

Dead Pixel
01-21-2014, 09:08 AM
I actually used to be in a band before, playing experimental fusion and other trippy stuff with two friends and occasionally a guest musician.
Even got some videos of our performance back in 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3bGRVOSOWc

Nowadays I go solo though, but having worked with a few people through college. My main instruments are Guitar and my own Voice, having played guitar for a good 10 years now and been singing since as far back as I can remember. I also work as a DJ in a local nightclub from time to time. =3

JiJi
01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Dude I disappear for a fortnight and musical folk appear!
Guys you should all start experimenting, noodling and such, get some ideas, covers, whatevers up c:

RainWizard
01-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Terrible demo! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mVTOAOFWvA) But here's my old band. I did the drums (in one take, don't judge me), and I wrote the lyrics

JiJi
01-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Terrible demo! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mVTOAOFWvA) But here's my old band. I did the drums (in one take, don't judge me), and I wrote the lyrics

Cool tune man, needs some double kick :p (recently been learning how to use one I'm mesmerised haha.)
Nice demo though, where was it recorded and mixed?

RainWizard
01-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Cool tune man, needs some double kick :p (recently been learning how to use one I'm mesmerised haha.)
Nice demo though, where was it recorded and mixed?

It was actually recorded in the studio by me, owned and run by the LostProphets drummer. He had all the awards on the wall, was kinda cool.

I rarely used a lot of double kicks, I used some in....

This song, terribly recorded live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r7h6jL-v-g)

It was rare for me to hammer them, don't know why. Just never found use for them I guess :I

Tiido
01-23-2014, 06:17 PM
I used to play bass in my school bad but that was like 6 years ago.
Nowdays (and before school bad) I do music on computers with tools I had created myself.
Create instruments, enter notes, press play - enjoy lol.
Most of my stuff is on Sega Mega Drive / Cenesis console, but some is also for Yamaha YMF719 sound card.
I am practicing singing and eventually want to create some vocal tracks but I need better mic first.

JiJi
01-28-2014, 11:29 AM
It was actually recorded in the studio by me, owned and run by the LostProphets drummer. He had all the awards on the wall, was kinda cool.

I rarely used a lot of double kicks, I used some in....

This song, terribly recorded live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r7h6jL-v-g)

It was rare for me to hammer them, don't know why. Just never found use for them I guess :I

That's cool man, I hope that band can still find good work after all the shit.
Cool tune, there is always use for hammering and wailing on everything ;)

Greg
01-28-2014, 11:49 AM
I used to sing but shyed away from it when I started working in Customer Service.

JiJi
01-28-2014, 12:51 PM
I used to sing but shyed away from it when I started working in Customer Service.
Sing at the customers! Make them feel uncomfortable and shy.
I got caught singing some 80s pop tune at work once by a customer, I looked them in the eye and carried on until they left my aisle. :')

Namba
01-28-2014, 01:01 PM
People have told me I sound better live :P

BlissfulOblivion
01-28-2014, 05:46 PM
I got caught singing some 80s pop tune at work once by a customer, I looked them in the eye and carried on until they left my aisle. :')

Sorry that this is kinna off topic, but you reminded me: my brother played this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxfkssXdgVc) along with the rest of the album of that in the jeans retail shop he works at one day.

PlayPossum
01-30-2014, 01:55 AM
I play the recorder and a melodica occasionally, and plan to practice some keyboard if I can get an old one I had back.

But I really don't have that much interest in performing or playing actual instruments.
My main interest lies on composing - which I can do digitally, the virtual instruments' sound don't bother me.
I started studying music theory a couple months ago, slowly progressing.
A keyboard is useful for testing songs and creating melodies/chords progressions, but that's about it.

RainWizard, since you're a drummer, would you know what kind of theory I can read about composing beats creatively? Nowadays I just copy and modify pre-existing ones and feel at loss when trying to make something original.

Icky
01-30-2014, 03:07 AM
Music yes!

I play some drums, jazz kit (though it's been a while) mostly. The main part of my music is orchestral; where I usually play snare drum, timpani, or whatever fun auxiliary stuff I can master. Like tambourine. Dem finger rolls.

Lately though, my music's been comprised of vibraphone, vibraphone, and vibraphone. Cause Matrix. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8dvgzjRrkM)

Batty Krueger
01-30-2014, 03:23 AM
People have told me I sound better live :P
Thats a given unless you have a killer recording set up or studio.

Tiido
01-30-2014, 04:12 AM
RainWizard, since you're a drummer, would you know what kind of theory I can read about composing beats creatively? Nowadays I just copy and modify pre-existing ones and feel at loss when trying to make something original.

I'm not RainWizard, nor a drummer, but I do like naiss percussion and this may give some ideas on what to do about drums (http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4615993/). Goes from very basic to pretty interesting.

PlayPossum
01-30-2014, 05:31 AM
Nice, Tiido! Good use of a drum library. :D

Greg
01-30-2014, 01:44 PM
There is literally a contract policy at work that can have me fired for singing.

In other news, I'm working on this! (http://puu.sh/6DHj9.mp3)

RainWizard
02-02-2014, 05:11 AM

I never read any theory on writing the drums, I tend to just go with what feels good. Though my advice is that basic is always better, you can be the best drummer in the world but if you don't play to fit the song you're as good as useless.

Also, this may help :) (http://drums.songstuff.com/article/crafting_drum_parts_original_songs_part1/)

PlayPossum
02-02-2014, 02:33 PM
I never read any theory on writing the drums, I tend to just go with what feels good. Though my advice is that basic is always better, you can be the best drummer in the world but if you don't play to fit the song you're as good as useless.

Also, this may help :) (http://drums.songstuff.com/article/crafting_drum_parts_original_songs_part1/)

Mannn... thank you so much! :inlove: