PDA

View Full Version : The Needlework-thread

Hardrockangel
12-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Because grandma's hobbies are becoming popular again!

I checked the forum and found that there was no thread dedicated to needlework yet, be it cross-stitch, embroidery or other types of sewing.
Which is why this thread needed to be made, obviously.

Feel free to share your finished works here, or link to cool patterns!

---

I'll kick the thread off with a link to a pretty cool cross-stitch designer I found recently:

Subversive Cross-stitch (https://www.facebook.com/subversivecrossstitch?fref=ts)
It's cross-stitch, only with witty sayings and swearing. What's not to like? :3c

PepperHead
12-31-2013, 02:23 PM
I've been trying to learn embroidery so that I can do pretty eyes and details on plushies xD Eeks I'm far too afraid to post my practicing, but I am getting better. My main problem is keeping things close enough I guess, I'm nervous about poking into the other holes though xD

I will be stalking this thread and eventually adding things of my own, though! <3 I ordered some minky this weekend and hope to be making more plushies soon with some embroidery in them to share with the thread c:

Hardrockangel
12-31-2013, 02:29 PM
I've been trying to learn embroidery so that I can do pretty eyes and details on plushies xD Eeks I'm far too afraid to post my practicing, but I am getting better. My main problem is keeping things close enough I guess, I'm nervous about poking into the other holes though xD

I will be stalking this thread and eventually adding things of my own, though! <3 I ordered some minky this weekend and hope to be making more plushies soon with some embroidery in them to share with the thread c:

I've got to say, the few times that I did embroider something (pre-packaged kit with pattern) it ended up looking horrendous.
Satin-stitches especially. But, practice makes perfect, no? :D

Personally, I'm more of a cross stitcher, though I'd be interested in seeing your plushies with embroidered detail!

Ruggy
01-01-2014, 05:38 PM
I love cross stitching! I'm fairly certain my technique is horrible; the backs of mine end up so lumpy. :[ I have an archaeopteryx I stitched next to a poem about angels, I'll have to dig it out of storage and photograph it.

I find it so soothing. It's a great time-killer when you're out and about and need to sit still for a few hours, too.

Umbra_Exe
01-02-2014, 05:16 AM
I'd love to learn cross-stitch as well as embroidery.

For now I've only embroidered small things like eyes and noses on plush animals. I tried to do a Pinkie Pie cutie mark (A trio of balloons) on a plush once, frustrated me so much. It came out okay, but not as good as it could have been.

I bought myself a cross-stitch kit and haven't been able to decipher the instructions, heh. ^^;

I think the only thing I did learn before was that plastic canvas type of embroidery, back when I was little.

I do want to learn cross stitch, because it just seems so interesting to do. That, and my mom used to do it as well. ^^
I suppose I should ask her about the kit I bought then. That never occurred to me until just now. >>;

piņardilla
01-02-2014, 05:37 AM
Cross-stitching is like pixel art before there was pixels. I can dig it.

I'm not any better with a needle than I am with a pen, unfortunately.

Hardrockangel
01-02-2014, 09:20 AM
I love cross stitching! I'm fairly certain my technique is horrible; the backs of mine end up so lumpy. :[ I have an archaeopteryx I stitched next to a poem about angels, I'll have to dig it out of storage and photograph it.

I find it so soothing. It's a great time-killer when you're out and about and need to sit still for a few hours, too.

If your back ends up lumpy, I am assuming you start with a knot, right? The technique I use is stitching in rows where possible and I fasten the beginning of my row under the first stitches I have made like so (http://ideas.stitchcraftcreate.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/starting_stitch.jpg) (image A). When I fasten off, I also run my needle through previously done stitches. I found that it tends to keep the back the neatest. c:

I'd love to learn cross-stitch as well as embroidery.

For now I've only embroidered small things like eyes and noses on plush animals. I tried to do a Pinkie Pie cutie mark (A trio of balloons) on a plush once, frustrated me so much. It came out okay, but not as good as it could have been.

I bought myself a cross-stitch kit and haven't been able to decipher the instructions, heh. ^^;

I think the only thing I did learn before was that plastic canvas type of embroidery, back when I was little.

I do want to learn cross stitch, because it just seems so interesting to do. That, and my mom used to do it as well. ^^
I suppose I should ask her about the kit I bought then. That never occurred to me until just now. >>;

What do you mean by instructions that you haven't been able to decipher? I may be able to be of help here. :3c

Cross-stitching is like pixel art before there was pixels. I can dig it.

I'm not any better with a needle than I am with a pen, unfortunately.

It's partially what got me started with pixel-art, really. I started cross-stitching thanks to my mom and now that I also pixel, I've started making my own patterns which is a lot of fun! c:

And to post the first project...
One of the pieces I recently finished (own pattern, too!):

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/337/f/7/perhaps_fuck_off_is_too_kind_by_hardrockangel-d6whe6g.png (http://hardrockangel.deviantart.com/art/Perhaps-Fuck-Off-Is-Too-Kind-417356296)

Ruggy
01-02-2014, 09:56 AM
If your back ends up lumpy, I am assuming you start with a knot, right? The technique I use is stitching in rows where possible and I fasten the beginning of my row under the first stitches I have made like so (http://ideas.stitchcraftcreate.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/starting_stitch.jpg) (image A). When I fasten off, I also run my needle through previously done stitches. I found that it tends to keep the back the neatest. c:

Oooh hey, that would be much neater. Thank you! My methods of cross stitchery have pretty much been 'make it up as you go along'. >.> I will try that!

Sonata
01-02-2014, 01:52 PM
I like to sew plushies and make simple objects. I want to move onto making my own clothes and cosplays, I just need to get my grabby paws on a sewing machine. Though, embroidery is something I would like to learn.

Hardrockangel
01-02-2014, 02:46 PM
I like to sew plushies and make simple objects. I want to move onto making my own clothes and cosplays, I just need to get my grabby paws on a sewing machine. Though, embroidery is something I would like to learn.

Ha, high-five for wanting a sewing-machine as well!
With embroidery, you could always start small. I recall these Anchor Momentos-kits that can be stitched in like, 3h tops. They're a good start. c:

Ruggy
01-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Okay, here's a poorly-lit photo of my awkward, lumpy cross-stitch! It was my second attempt, before finding out that they made things specifically for the purpose of stretching your canvas, and that knotting everything on the back wasn't necessary. >.>

http://i.imgur.com/cmHb3EA.jpg

I think I'll be doing more of them, just... better, haha.

Hardrockangel
01-03-2014, 12:25 PM
The main focus of the piece, the bird, looks great! :D

Ruggy
01-03-2014, 12:54 PM
The main focus of the piece, the bird, looks great! :D

Thank you! I really enjoyed working on it. I'd love to do more extinct critters in cross stitch. Hopefully now that I know better about canvas stretching and hiding my stitches (rather than knotting them, thank you!) the next one will be much more presentable.

For the method of slipping your end threads through the stitches you just made, is there a trick to keeping the thread from pulling through all the way, or do you just kind of hold it in place with your fingers until you've got enough stitches to keep it from tugging out at the slightest pressure?

Aaand hey! This probably goes for anyone who has a bunch of colored thread about. How do y'all organize yours for taking it out and about with you? My current system is two big plastic bags full of jumbled spools. >.> I suspect it is horrendously inefficient.

Hardrockangel
01-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Thank you! I really enjoyed working on it. I'd love to do more extinct critters in cross stitch. Hopefully now that I know better about canvas stretching and hiding my stitches (rather than knotting them, thank you!) the next one will be much more presentable.

For the method of slipping your end threads through the stitches you just made, is there a trick to keeping the thread from pulling through all the way, or do you just kind of hold it in place with your fingers until you've got enough stitches to keep it from tugging out at the slightest pressure?

Aaand hey! This probably goes for anyone who has a bunch of colored thread about. How do y'all organize yours for taking it out and about with you? My current system is two big plastic bags full of jumbled spools. >.> I suspect it is horrendously inefficient.

I tend to keep it in place with my finger until I get three or four stitch-halves done. As I work in rows, it's easier to do one row half and then add the other stitch coming back, if that makes sense? And it tacks the thread into place quite quickly and properly! c:

Also: cardboard-scraps + perforator = thread-organiser for small projects. c:

Ruggy
01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
I tend to keep it in place with my finger until I get three or four stitch-halves done. As I work in rows, it's easier to do one row half and then add the other stitch coming back, if that makes sense? And it tacks the thread into place quite quickly and properly! c:

Also: cardboard-scraps + perforator = thread-organiser for small projects. c:

Oooh, that seems like it'd be more efficient than the way I was doing it. You are full of helpful information, thank you! :3 I was more or less making it up as I went along.

I'm confused by the cardboard scraps and perforator thing. Do you mean like making strips of cardboard that interlock to form a grid, like you'd store christmas ornaments in, or something else?

Hardrockangel
01-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Oooh, that seems like it'd be more efficient than the way I was doing it. You are full of helpful information, thank you! :3 I was more or less making it up as I went along.

I'm confused by the cardboard scraps and perforator thing. Do you mean like making strips of cardboard that interlock to form a grid, like you'd store christmas ornaments in, or something else?

Oooh, no rather that you perforate the edges of the cardboard and then loop the cut threads you're using for your project through the holes you made. c:

Ruggy
01-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Oooh, no rather that you perforate the edges of the cardboard and then loop the cut threads you're using for your project through the holes you made. c:

Ohhh! That is also a very good idea!

Haha whee, I pretty obviously don't have much idea what I'm doing, here. P:

Hardrockangel
01-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Ohhh! That is also a very good idea!

Haha whee, I pretty obviously don't have much idea what I'm doing, here. P:

Haha no worries. When I made my first project, a teeny prepackaged kit, I managed to lose my needle and most of my thread.
Safe to say that never got finished!

BlissfulOblivion
01-12-2014, 10:02 PM
I guess you could call this
a thread about threads

.... im so sorry i had to

I once knew how to knit a tiny bit :c But barely. My brother knitted hats <: they're adorable. And I tried to sew when I was younger but it never worked out :c

Hardrockangel
01-12-2014, 10:32 PM
i guess you could call this
a thread about threads

.... Im so sorry i had to

*frowning loudly*

BlissfulOblivion
01-12-2014, 11:34 PM
*frowning loudly*

//shrinks away

Honestly I was surprised someone hadn't already said that. It seemed so obvious... <: My apologies. Carry on with your string talk.

Worry
01-19-2014, 11:59 PM
My apologies. Carry on with your string talk.

I do believe you mean their... string theory. UHEUHE.

BUT ANYWAY. I needle-felt, does that count as needle work? ;u;

Hardrockangel
01-20-2014, 10:48 AM
I do believe you mean their... string theory. UHEUHE.

BUT ANYWAY. I needle-felt, does that count as needle work? ;u;

Not technically as embroidery, I think, but it *is* work with a needle. :D
I always love how finished needle-felt looks (especially when it's tiny with crazy amounts of detail), but for some reason I just can't needle-felt properly myself, haha.

Ruggy
01-20-2014, 02:55 PM
I have a questionnn!

Patterns! How do you follow them? Eyeballing it or what? I've read that with larger patterns, one could make ten-stitch by ten-stitch boxes to form a sort of grid. I really want to turn this (http://i.imgur.com/oxuWdwT.jpg) into a cross stitch and hang it in my room, but I feel my normal method of 'just draw on the canvas and stitch over it' (or in the case of a sufficiently complex thing, project it onto the canvas, draw the outlines, and stitch over that) would be insufficient with the perfectly geometric circle.

Worry
01-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Not technically as embroidery, I think, but it *is* work with a needle. :D
I always love how finished needle-felt looks (especially when it's tiny with crazy amounts of detail), but for some reason I just can't needle-felt properly myself, haha.

Oh, it's really quite easy! I do hope you were trying with a proper needle-felting needle, or else I could totally see why it wasn't working. xD

Hardrockangel
01-20-2014, 04:37 PM
I have a questionnn!

Patterns! How do you follow them? Eyeballing it or what? I've read that with larger patterns, one could make ten-stitch by ten-stitch boxes to form a sort of grid. I really want to turn this (http://i.imgur.com/oxuWdwT.jpg) into a cross stitch and hang it in my room, but I feel my normal method of 'just draw on the canvas and stitch over it' (or in the case of a sufficiently complex thing, project it onto the canvas, draw the outlines, and stitch over that) would be insufficient with the perfectly geometric circle.

You could run that image through a pattern-maker and have a pattern generated.
As for large patters: I start from the middle and work it out towards the edges going bit by bit instead of first doing all stitches of one thread-colour and then the next.

Ruggy
01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
You could run that image through a pattern-maker and have a pattern generated.
As for large patters: I start from the middle and work it out towards the edges going bit by bit instead of first doing all stitches of one thread-colour and then the next.

I did! Used Pic 2 Pat. I was very excited to get the pattern PDF (though I realized it's assuming I'm stitching all of that black, and noooo I am absolutely not, black canvas woo) and then realized I have absolutely no system in place for actually translating pattern to canvas. I like the idea of starting from the middle!

Hardrockangel
02-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Shameless self-promotion: I made a new pattern and I finished it yesterday.
I think it's a slogan the freelance-artists here will recognize. :v

I also may or may not be getting addicted to making my own patterns.

https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/1780886_10202377154064621_1206704790_n.jpg

ETA: the image is not showing for some reason (is this just on my end?), so I'll throw in the link too to be safe.
https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/1780886_10202377154064621_1206704790_n.jpg

piņardilla
02-01-2014, 07:46 PM
It shows in your post for me. Love it, by the way.

Sammacha
02-04-2014, 05:21 AM
I made an asian style dress and recently a quiver for my arrows.... I should post a picture but... Is this the right kind of items or are we just talking about embroidery and cross stitchings? I have one I haven't finished lol, i dont want to talk about that XD

And yes, fuck you, pay me, is awesome lol