PDA

View Full Version : New Year, New Stuff

Matt
12-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Happy Holidays, everyone.

We appreciate your patience as we migrated servers this past weekend. We're back and we're better. As these multicolored, squiggly lines should suggest, our move will continue to cut down on load-time across the site:

http://i.imgur.com/3ZP310G.png

That's what the future looks like. Flat.

In addition to all the speed and power, our dev team has made a few upgrades to the site. We now support PDF uploads for literary submissions along with text files and Google Doc embeds. Also, contact information for various other sites and services is now immediately viewable on individual profiles, so if you'd like to extend that information to your friends, followers, and viewers, make sure you add it in your profile settings.

We'll be making a few other adjustments to Weasyl in the near future. As of January 1, 2014 we'll be moving on from BBCode to Markdown, because, with all due respect to BBCode, it not existing is better than the alternative. It's a big change but a valuable one, and it's worth doing while we're still growing. You can find more information on how to use Markdown here (http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics).

You may have noticed that "Featured Submission" has been renamed "Most Recent." This is a more accurate (but temporary) placeholder as we introduce additional folder options to allow for rotating Featured Submissions, Scraps, and so on. Keep watch for more information and bigger updates in the future.

We always appreciate hearing from you, and we are happy to assist our users if anyone is having trouble with the site, but please, please refrain from including your password when you email us. We can do without that information, and it will help to keep your account secure. All the same, never hesitate to contact us. You can find us on twitter at @Weasyl and @WeasylDev, through email at support@weasyl.com, and on the forums here (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?15-Site-amp-Forum-Support). We're always happy, ready, and willing to help.

And as an additional reminder, it's absolutely fine to post art made for you on Weasyl as long as you have permission from the original artist.

Again, happy holidays to all. We'll be back with another announcement in the New Year. Or sooner. Stuff happens quick sometimes.

SpikedKanine
12-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Keep up the good work you guys!
I'm also very thankful that you guys are keeping us posted. u v u

FancyOwls
12-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Glad to see it! Always hated that it was called "Featured". Looking forward to future updates!

coyttl
12-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks for everything! Have a great holiday season! :)

DarkShadow777
12-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Have a nice holliday guys!!!!

Just for curiosity... this means any BBcode thing will be broken after this update?

EDIT: I just noticed the new folder options you added so far... theyare SO NICE!, you are doing a great job guys! CONGRATULATIONS!

PepperHead
12-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Awesome, this just made my Christmas Eve Eve! c:
Nice to know that the admins are watching all of the threads and working on getting things done <3

Poetigress
12-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Just for curiosity... this means any BBcode thing will be broken after this update?

Wondering the same thing. I have a lot of text files uploaded that use BBCode for their formatting, and it's going to be a major pain to go back and translate all of them if those BBCode tags don't work anymore.

charmander
12-24-2013, 05:46 PM

Wondering the same thing. I have a lot of text files uploaded that use BBCode for their formatting, and it's going to be a major pain to go back and translate all of them if those BBCode tags don't work anymore.

We’re going to be converting all existing BBCode (submissions, descriptions, journals, comments, shouts, and profile text) to Markdown automatically! New BBCode won’t work, on the other hand.

Poetigress
12-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Oh, good. :) Also, wanted to mention that you guys did a great job with the status updates and such during the move. Very appreciative of that.

GreenReaper
12-25-2013, 01:00 AM
The image you attached doesn't seem to be there anymore . . .

Matt
12-25-2013, 02:01 AM
The image you attached doesn't seem to be there anymore . . .
Thanks for the heads-up. Should be all set now.

FlynnCoyote
12-27-2013, 06:53 AM
This is awesome news.

Actual improvements, and updates on them! =D

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

AndiGreyScale
12-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Sweet, keep up the great work!

Ziblie
12-30-2013, 02:07 AM
Hey quick question!

Since the [ usericon ] stuff is in BBcode -- is that stuff getting changed to Markup as well? There's no information about that in the run-down that got linked in the info post about it.

And is there going to be a quick guide available on Weasyl for the language? I don't see it being used many places so it'd be nice to have a formatting guide somewhere!

Term
12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Hey quick question!

Since the [ usericon ] stuff is in BBcode -- is that stuff getting changed to Markup as well? There's no information about that in the run-down that got linked in the info post about it.

And is there going to be a quick guide available on Weasyl for the language? I don't see it being used many places so it'd be nice to have a formatting guide somewhere!

We are planning on translating all current BBcode language over to Markdown automatically. However, if you find that there's been any issue, don't hesitate to contact us about it.

Further, as with what we did with BBcode, we will supply a guide to using Markdown under "Help Topics" on the main site.

Ziblie
12-31-2013, 12:51 PM
We are planning on translating all current BBcode language over to Markdown automatically. However, if you find that there's been any issue, don't hesitate to contact us about it.

Further, as with what we did with BBcode, we will supply a guide to using Markdown under "Help Topics" on the main site.

Awesome, thanks!