PDA

View Full Version : Game Development, Anyone?

SolidSpy24
12-18-2013, 07:08 AM
When I first came into the fandom, I was surprised to see that there aren't that many game developers in the fandom. There really aren't that many furry games out there either. Game development is my biggest hobby, I was wondering if there are any other furs on here who are into it, and what languages, engines, etc you use.

I used to always make my games in Flash and GameMaker, but started learning last year to use C++ with Opengl. Game development seems to me like a big hobby, because it requires not only programming, but also design and art. I first started out as an artist before I got into game development, and then moved on to making games. So if game development is one of your hobbies, what is it that you like most about it?

Ibuuyk
12-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Being a game developer's always been a childhood dream of mine, and that's what my studies are focused on. I have a diploma in computer science and I'm continuing in video game development in February for 15 months before working at Bioware.

SolidSpy24
12-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Cool, I got a long ways to go before I get mine.

Not a DJ
01-23-2014, 07:34 PM
I got into 3D modeling about four years ago, which led to me downloading some free game engines to play around in, which led to me learning C#. I don't have anything I'd consider a complete game, but I'm almost always working on something. It's just so rewarding to see your work come to life and do interactive things.

TheLexicon
01-23-2014, 09:37 PM
I want to learn how to, but I'm completely stupid with computers, and math has become more and more confusing as I work my way through high school. It's a shame, too; had an awesome idea for a computer game and everything, but I don't understand any of the knowledge or equipment required in order to do it right. :(

Better at writing, anyway.

Tiido
01-23-2014, 09:42 PM
I make games as a hobby and make tools to make games professionally.

Eggdodger
01-23-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm actually working on a game with a friend using Unity engine (I make models and textures mainly, but some coding as well), and after we finish with his game, he's already agreed to work with me on Creature Corps, a game I've conceptualized that involves anthros in a realistic depiction. I'm fortunate to have him; he has a more experience and resources than I do, and we have great chemistry working together.

Willow
01-23-2014, 09:47 PM
I've always wanted to make my own games and have made several attempts to make a basic game in RPG Maker. Unfortunately I'm not very proficient with programming so even though a lot of RPG Maker's components are preset, it's still confusing trying to make them all fit together in a cohesive way.

One of these days I'm going to have to sit down and actually mess around with it.

Taw
01-23-2014, 10:11 PM
I'm a freelance 3D artist and currently do contracts for things such as assets for animated shorts or games, etc. I consider myself still a junior modeler as there's a lot I still need to learn, though I'm hoping to get my foot in the door to an actual company sometime. It'll be nice to work with benefits.

KumatoraKazooie
01-23-2014, 11:41 PM
I have a Bachelor's degree in Game and Simulation programming but I'm having a hard time trying to apply the skills that I've learned. All I really do is play with 3D modeling in Blender, play with sprite creation and think of ideas for games.

Eggdodger
01-24-2014, 12:23 AM
Wow, bigger turnout than I expected. Hopefully when development on Creature Corps starts, I can keep you all updated and perhaps ask advice every now and again. It's something I want the furry community to be involved in when I get it off the ground. ^^

Infestissumam
01-24-2014, 12:15 PM
I am attempting to develop a game. Haven't done any coding or anything yet, just laying out the characters, concepts, and storyline first.

Whenever I do begin trying to make it, what do you guys recommend I use to make an RPG? I was going to use RPGmaker, but I wanna know if there are better options out there.

Socks the Fox
01-24-2014, 03:57 PM
One of these days I'm going to sit down and actually finish my stupid little game I'm making. Especially now that I have access to awesome artists that can do the artsy fartsy stuff I suck at...

Ratte
01-25-2014, 12:01 AM
I don't code or do any real "developing" but I do make sprites and art for a game now. It's interesting to say the least.

FishNChips
01-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Currently trying to teach myself programming with C#.

I have aims to make a bunch of 2D games played in a top-down perspective.

I'd very much enjoy getting together with a bunch of people to collaborate on whatever they may be doing as a learning experience. I'm not very good, though.

I'm also getting into pixel art. Making floor tiles is fun!

ShadWolf
01-25-2014, 02:50 PM
I've been wanting to getting to learning development for videogames, I was inspired to try get into that line of work by friend of mine who took me into his work place on few occasions where I watched him work away at programming, and even got to test play games in the making.

I've been meaning to get into learning C++ programming, but I really need to get down with Python first, ever time I want to get stuck down into it something comes up and I can't learn much of it. :c

I really wanna make a game someday, but working as Games Tester Programmer, or Game Director who actually plays through the game and fix bugs as I go along when fast playing them to make sure its working alright. My other biggest inspiration is the works of Hideo Kojima, and his FOXEngine at Kojima Productions studios of the popular use in games at Konami. Watching all the documentary/behind the scenes stuff is all so exciting and inspiring enough for me want to get into doing that sort of stuff with developing.

certifiedkowaidad
01-30-2014, 11:45 PM
I've always wanted to make my own games and have made several attempts to make a basic game in RPG Maker. Unfortunately I'm not very proficient with programming so even though a lot of RPG Maker's components are preset, it's still confusing trying to make them all fit together in a cohesive way.

One of these days I'm going to have to sit down and actually mess around with it.

95% of manimals have made half a game in RPGMaker and quit on it. I'm not sure how this happens so much.

They open the character editor, change the defaults to their Internet friends' names, and try to figure out how to get cat ears on a sprite not meant for cat ears. Then, what comes next, actually designing a game? Nope, closed.

I'm honestly working on one, too, probably going to use RPG Maker VX Ace. It's pretty user-friendly compared to RPG Maker 2003 was back in the day. The hard part is writing a story that's legitimately worth playing; I've yet to play a single hobby RPG that manages to make me care about the plot or characters. Novice designers seem to jump right into the game design without first writing anything down on paper. So I've promised not to open the software at all until I've finished writing the whole deal about a gay cat that falls in love with a robot. This is a good plan.

Red
01-31-2014, 05:46 AM
Not into the game making per se (only the journalismz side of it), but certainly want to make a game. I've already got the game system all thought out, the plot and maybe how you play it thought out, but I cannot for the life of me code anythinng, so I guess I'll be the "creative director" or the "tyrannical boss that says stuff and wants things pitch perfect" if I ever were to make the concept approved...