PDA

View Full Version : [FORUM] [SPLIT] I really like Weasyl

Sinjo
08-01-2012, 09:26 AM
I am a little confused as I am not knowledgeable in forum theme creation, but the way I read what you have just said is that the two different themes will be completely independent from each other?
Example: The font hue I am using now will not be visible on the darker theme, and will appear as the default font pigmentation?
What of the Usergroup colours? Will they be revised to suit both themes, or will there be two separate sets?

Many apologies for all of the questions, Taw. I am both curious and wanting to learn a little about the process.

I refuse to read your text on the bases I have to lean forward and put my face a foot away from my screen to discern it.

>_>

FishNChips
08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
I agree with Sinjo.

Acid, welcome to forums. Don't use fucked up nonstandard fonts and colours.

Fiz
08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I refuse to read your text on the bases I have to lean forward and put my face a foot away from my screen to discern it.

>_>

I agree with Sinjo.

Acid, welcome to forums. Don't use fucked up nonstandard fonts and colours.

Guys, please be polite!

I know that non-standard font and color can be a bit hard to read sometimes, that's not an excuse to be rude.

FishNChips
08-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Guys, please be polite!

I know that non-standard font and color can be a bit hard to read sometimes, that's not an excuse to be rude.

Alright, sorry about that. But to be fair, I think coming onto a public forum and using smaller fonts, wierd colour mixes, stuff like that, and not even spending a second to consider the users and lurkers who could be dyslexic, colourblind, short sighted, and have other vision/reading related problems while they'll inevitably rage at other users on the boards for enroaching on their "right to freedom of expression" is even ruder than a single harsh word. I've seen it happen all too often online, and it's very tiring.

Fiz
08-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Alright, sorry about that. But to be fair, I think coming onto a public forum and using smaller fonts, wierd colour mixes, stuff like that, and not even spending a second to consider the users and lurkers who could be dyslexic, colourblind, short sighted, and have other vision/reading related problems while they'll inevitably rage at other users on the boards for enroaching on their "right to freedom of expression" is even ruder than a single harsh word. I've seen it happen all too often online, and it's very tiring.

Oh no, I definitely understand. We want to make the site and forums as accessible for everybody as possible. Being able to actually read text on the site/forum is a pretty big issue! However, it is a bit of a hard thing to moderate as well. Every person's vision is gonna be different so it's hard to just say "Make sure your text is readable.". We also know that font changes can be done for artistic effects as well, such as in a story, description, roleplay, etc.

We're gonna see if we can find a possible solution. Personally, I'd like an option in control panel where you could set it to ignore any font type changes and color changes, so that you see everything in the default font with still being able to see bold/italics/font size, etc. Not sure if it's something we could do, though.

Rain
08-01-2012, 06:41 PM
My goodness, it didn't take long for the venom spitting to start, and over a font colour and type no less.

First of all, the colour that I was using is clearly visible on my computer and laptop monitors. I cannot perceive the differences for others as I am not them, nor own their screens. However, I have always been aware that some hues will work and others won't, hence my questions directed at Taw.
Secondly, I am not intentionally going out of my way to harm those with vision problems. Where did such assumptions come from? I've been actively testing different fonts and pigmentations to find a nice combination. I've not altered the font size, but I am troubled that Times New Roman seems to be offensive to a few members.
Finally, maybe the Administration should disable font colours and type altogether? It appears that you'll be damned if you try to use them.

Font hue in all of my posts will be altered, and I will continue to do so when forum theme changes are implemented so that they are clearly legible. Unless, of course, font colour and type is retired.

FishNChips
08-01-2012, 07:25 PM
See what I mean, Fiz?

Taw
08-01-2012, 07:34 PM
We're working on a solution to allow users to disable font and colour changes in posts. Please refrain from fighting in this thread as well or I'll have to lock it.

Juste
08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
My goodness, it didn't take long for the venom spitting to start, and over a font colour and type no less.

First of all, the colour that I was using is clearly visible on my computer and laptop monitors. I cannot perceive the differences for others as I am not them, nor own their screens. However, I have always been aware that some hues will work and others won't, hence my questions directed at Taw.
Secondly, I am not intentionally going out of my way to harm those with vision problems. Where did such assumptions come from? I've been actively testing different fonts and pigmentations to find a nice combination. I've not altered the font size, but I am troubled that Times New Roman seems to be offensive to a few members.
Finally, maybe the Administration should disable font colours and type altogether? It appears that you'll be damned if you try to use them.

Font hue in all of my posts will be altered, and I will continue to do so when forum theme changes are implemented so that they are clearly legible. Unless, of course, font colour and type is retired.

With a light gray background like this (given the variability between different monitors and whatnot for color temperature), you might want to go with something darker and larger. In my personal opinion, the font sizes on the forums in general are simply too small (then again, I am on a screen that is 2560x1440), and your choice of font makes it appear even smaller and compact. The default font choice is a little more slurred in the way it reads from letter to letter, but that is fairly all right. The sharp, angled edges and sans-serif give it a crisper feel. It reads very simply and without any garnish. Serif fonts generally (to me) read in a garish way, and I find them difficult to pull off successfully.

FishNChips
08-01-2012, 07:37 PM
We're working on a solution to allow users to disable font and colour changes in posts. Please refrain from fighting in this thread as well or I'll have to lock it.

Alright then, that's fair enough. I'll stop here, thank you. c: And thanks for looking into a solution!

Fiz
08-01-2012, 07:38 PM
See what I mean, Fiz?

Not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing.

You do not have to read every post, if the fonts bother you that much, you can ignore the post.

It's fine to call attention to the fact that the font change makes it hard to read, but there still isn't a reason to do it in a snarky manner.

As for the font issue itself, we're working on a solution right now.

Kitten
08-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Petition to make the default font for the forums Comic Sans

Tiger
08-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Rainbow text is where it's at, yo!

Oops, the yellow and green are hard to read. It says, "Rainbow text is where it's at, yo!"

FishNChips
08-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing.

You do not have to read every post, if the fonts bother you that much, you can ignore the post.

It's fine to call attention to the fact that the font change makes it hard to read, but there still isn't a reason to do it in a snarky manner.

As for the font issue itself, we're working on a solution right now.

Mm I could just ignore him, yes. But what I'm saying is that the only argument presented for his use for dodgy font completely ignores the fact that other users will probably have trouble reading it. And his argument about it being better for his eyes makes absolutely no sense. It's smaller than the current default font, but I digress.

Petition to make the default font for the forums Comic Sans

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/233/675/80a.jpg

Pretty much sums this up.

Aetius
08-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Rainbow text is where it's at, yo!

Oops, the yellow and green are hard to read. It says, "Rainbow text is where it's at, yo!"

You destroyed my eyes, you fiend.

Colored text is pretty useless all around imo.

FishNChips
08-01-2012, 07:57 PM
The dark red and dark blue is readable enough for me though, I'll give ya that o:

Tiger
08-01-2012, 08:02 PM
You destroyed my eyes, you fiend.

Colored text is pretty useless all around imo.

At least looking at a beautiful rainbow is magnificent c:

The dark red and dark blue is readable enough for me though, I'll give ya that o:

Eeyup! Agreed

Fiz
08-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Thread Split and Locked.

We're looking into a solution that will satisfy all parties. Please be patient while we work on this.