PDA

View Full Version : Fan Character Discussion

Uini
08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
I thought if this would be added to fandom thread, but this seems to come off as a different topic, so here goes!

Fan characters! Do you have any?
How do you feel about fan characters?
Harmful or Helpful to artistic growth?

Anything really I just want to start a new topic.

Personally (and embarrassingly) I have several fan characters from different series. Many of which I haven't touched in ages. I enjoy drawing them from time to time, but I do sometimes urge myself to draw them in a little more original sense instead of copying a style.

I've made plenty of Sonic fan characters. Megaman characters, Koopa kids, pokemon variations and some Rayman stuff.

Do any of you guys have characters you want to share?

Kitten
08-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I have a bunch of fan OCs stacked up over the many years I spent roleplaying across many different forums in my teens. Legend of Zelda and Sonic OCs are probably the most numerous, though many from the former are based on archetypes of characters I play that bleed through to other, less fandom-based RPs. I like taking an idea, be it previously used by you or brand new, and fitting it into an existing fictional world. In RPs it creates an adhesive that brings characters and people together into a common backdrop. I'm for 'em.

Tiger
08-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I have my own Star Fox fan team : Tiger (not me, a diff one), Judd the sugar glider, Murray the schnauzer, and Ben the serval.

Uini
08-01-2012, 08:07 PM
I have a bunch of fan OCs stacked up over the many years I spent roleplaying across many different forums in my teens. Legend of Zelda and Sonic OCs are probably the most numerous, though many from the former are based on archetypes of characters I play that bleed through to other, less fandom-based RPs. I like taking an idea, be it previously used by you or brand new, and fitting it into an existing fictional world. In RPs it creates an adhesive that brings characters and people together into a common backdrop. I'm for 'em.

I use to RP with my Megaman fc all the time. I loved it and it brought more depth into the series itself. I'm not too familiar with group RP's using my character but it seems like its really really fun! I love the idea that it can bring a number of people together in the same universe though!

Kazekai
08-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I used to have a ton of Sonic fan characters that I'd give elemental powers to. Eventually, I took a ton of ideas from old fanfics and made original stuff out of them.

When I was 9, I made my first fan character and she "followed" me everywhere. I never drew her, or at least if I did, I never put images online, and she was the last one I let go of. Aside from being a fan char, she was a coping mechanism that gave me someone to talk to and contemplate deep subjects with in private. I kept that up until I was 18.

Ibuuyk
08-01-2012, 08:34 PM
My murrsona is a Khajiit, does that make him a TES fan character?

Kitten
08-01-2012, 08:38 PM
I use to RP with my Megaman fc all the time. I loved it and it brought more depth into the series itself. I'm not too familiar with group RP's using my character but it seems like its really really fun! I love the idea that it can bring a number of people together in the same universe though!It's really great when the characters in an RP forum based on a game, book, etc. end up making the world their own and taking it in a new direction. I miss my RPing days, but my muse just isn't in it--not that it's into much at all these days, anyway. I really hope littlerock and I get another person who is interested in a group LoZ RP on here (or for anyone to start an RP, really, I'm too nervous about starting something only to have it not go anywhere at all).

Uini
08-01-2012, 08:44 PM
My murrsona is a Khajiit, does that make him a TES fan character?

If its based on an existing series or something I guess. <: Do you have any others?

- - - Updated - - -

I used to have a ton of Sonic fan characters that I'd give elemental powers to. Eventually, I took a ton of ideas from old fanfics and made original stuff out of them.

When I was 9, I made my first fan character and she "followed" me everywhere. I never drew her, or at least if I did, I never put images online, and she was the last one I let go of. Aside from being a fan char, she was a coping mechanism that gave me someone to talk to and contemplate deep subjects with in private. I kept that up until I was 18.

I think I did that with my first "sonic" fan character, and ironically I still keep him as an original character that I rarely draw. Do you have any other characters though?

- - - Updated - - -

It's really great when the characters in an RP forum based on a game, book, etc. end up making the world their own and taking it in a new direction. I miss my RPing days, but my muse just isn't in it--not that it's into much at all these days, anyway. I really hope littlerock and I get another person who is interested in a group LoZ RP on here (or for anyone to start an RP, really, I'm too nervous about starting something only to have it not go anywhere at all).

At least does the community promote fleshing out something original from the series and not just "link wearing black" or "zelda's long lost sister"?

nakattack
08-01-2012, 09:29 PM
.__. My only fan-character is my Pokemon trainer who I've never drawn but I plan to.
Eventually.

I'm serious guys, I totally will.

Kitten
08-01-2012, 09:35 PM
IAt least does the community promote fleshing out something original from the series and not just "link wearing black" or "zelda's long lost sister"?My experience with fandom-based RP forums has been that canon characters and carbon-copies of said canon characters are not allowed at all. All fan OCs or nothing. People who play those annoy the ever-loving hell out of me. >_> I used to have someone who would insist on RPing as Link or Dark Link and his characterizations were terrible.

I tend to prefer a grandiose, original story thrown on the well-known backdrop of the original material, with original characters as individual cogs and gears making the machine run as smoothly as can be. Throw in enemies and situations inspired by but not directly-copied from the source material and build up the "new" backstory as the characters play along and create their own unique storylines and develop, then move on to a peaceful period after a fantastic climax. Unfortunately I've rarely (never? I don't remember one) been able to play out the stories fully since the forums I ran died or I or others lost interest in general. u_u

Fiz
08-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Oh lord.

Used to have a crapload of Sonic FCs. Fiz was one a while back, though she had started out as a standalone character that I turned into Sonic style for a "joke". Joke stuck around too long. I drew her as other game specie too, like Koopa and Yoshi. Now she's just a big assed furry that causes chaos. Help me Jesus.

Earlier I tried redoing/redesigning some of my old Sonic FCs into their own thing, but I didn't really go back to that.

Pompeii started out as a Mother/Earthbound FC, decided that was lame as heck and put her some other cyborgs into their own story that I can't stop drooling over. Teenage cyborg romance YESSS.

Got Lune and Terri, my Pokemon trainer FCs, but they hardly have anything to do with Pokemon anymore except the fact that they dress like their favorite Pokemon. lmfao. Might as well just make the story about two gay teenage boys and their pet balloon.

Also got Shotyke and Mantina, my Pokemon ginjka characters, who are a Mantyke and Mantine respectively. I guess those count.

I also turned one of my LaTale (a Korean mmorpg) characters into a character of sorts, if that counts? Her names Raamia and she's a lil demon (succubi?) girl that likes to pull pranks and be really kawaii.

Taelune
08-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I personally feel that Fan-Based OCs are helpful to a person's growth in creativity. It gives them a base to branch out from. One of my OCs started out as a Fan-Based OC from InuYasha, and now she's not even remotely the same as she used to be and even has her own completely independent story and is no longer attached to that Fandom. I pretty much have an Fan-Based OC for every Fandom I attach myself to, but I try my best to keep it original, and not related to any of the Canon Characters.

Kasune
08-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I have fancharacters that I created years ago that I still draw constantly. Oops.
I just can't bring myself to let go of them because they're a huge part of my life and artistic endeavors.

I don't think they hinder my artistic growth. You can still develop a character and have them be in a canon universe and let them be unique on their own. Fancharacter, to me, doesn't necessarily mean interacting with a canon character from a series or show, etc.

I was never really in the bigger fandoms though. I never had a Sonic fancharacter or any of that, just stuff from smaller series that I liked.

obliviousally
08-01-2012, 10:16 PM
My experience with fandom-based RP forums has been that canon characters and carbon-copies of said canon characters are not allowed at all. All fan OCs or nothing. People who play those annoy the ever-loving hell out of me. >_> I used to have someone who would insist on RPing as Link or Dark Link and his characterizations were terrible.

This isn't always true! As someone who runs a few fandom-based boards and plays on many others, often canons are available for application, but with certain activity requirements (i.e. be posting and playing said character, not hoarding it so others cannot!). Carbon copies, on the other hand, yeah, they're frowned upon. I really encourage original characters on my boards because they can turn out to be big players in the plot and cause things to move in a different direction than planned.

I love having canons available for play, but I loathe them being used as venues for popularity by the people who play them. It's great when you get good canon players who will plot withe everyone, not just other canons or those they're directly connected to in the setting. As an admin, I, at least, get to swat people who might do this on the wrist, but I've seen it run rampant on other boards - same with your last comment about awful characterizations.

I have a lot of Supernatural fan characters, but I guess they're not so much OMG I WANT A CHARACTER TO INTERACT WITH THE WINCHESTERS as they are simply set within the lore and mythology of the show (which is all based off of real life lore and mythology anyhow). I still have Sonic fan characters, from way back in the day, as well.

Ibuuyk
08-01-2012, 10:42 PM
If its based on an existing series or something I guess. <: Do you have any others?

Nope, it's the only one I have, and it is miiiiiinnneeeee!

Kitten
08-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I think my favorite Sonic OC I had was a blue lizard named Ayreon (named after the band) who was this genetic mutation thing from the ARK. He was a bit OP but really cool, had velociraptor talons on his feet, wielded two automatic pistols, and had a hard-as-steel black cap of bone on the end of his tail. He was sort of an organic supercomputer who escaped from GUN's attempts to capture him and went on to lead a group of strong revolutionaries against a dark brotherhood of owls who, in the forum I played him on, were trying to take over the world through various nefarious schemes (none of which I was active enough as an admin to see through to fruition >_>). He was awesome. Best experience I had on that site is probably from his fight against a metal coyote.

Damian
08-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I personally feel that Fan-Based OCs are helpful to a person's growth in creativity. It gives them a base to branch out from. One of my OCs started out as a Fan-Based OC from InuYasha, and now she's not even remotely the same as she used to be and even has her own completely independent story and is no longer attached to that Fandom. I pretty much have an Fan-Based OC for every Fandom I attach myself to, but I try my best to keep it original, and not related to any of the Canon Characters.

Pretty much this. My character was based from the Marvel universe. Although...she was adopted by Otto Octavius and even though that sounds a bit mary-sue-ish, the relationship with the characters went really well. Then she had her own story arc and generation that deviated away from all that.

Relations can work out depending on circumstances :3

Psuedoimp
08-01-2012, 11:27 PM
I have fancharacters for a grand total of ONE fandom. That being Evangelion. Mainly, it's for the pen and paper game Adeptus Evangelion.
:V Two Eva pilots and an Operations Director.
My boyfriend also has 3 Eva pilot's and an Operations Director.

I'm a bit obsessed with them at the moment.

Uini
08-01-2012, 11:29 PM
I have fancharacters for a grand total of ONE fandom. That being Evangelion. Mainly, it's for the pen and paper game Adeptus Evangelion.
:V Two Eva pilots and an Operations Director.
My boyfriend also has 3 Eva pilot's and an Operations Director.

I'm a bit obsessed with them at the moment.

Cram all of them into Unit 02. AT ONCE.

Psuedoimp
08-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Hey they're from the canadian nerv, not tokyo-3, their eva units start at unit 11

RadioCatastrophe
08-05-2012, 04:48 AM
Erm the only fan character I can think of of mine would be my Tideborn from PWI :P
Her name (both the character and in-game) is MzTeacake, female assassin

FishNChips
08-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I have a few characters that are not related to or derived from or copied from, but inspired by the style, personality, and imagery of the band Rammstein, if that counts.

Lee
08-06-2012, 09:54 PM
I have exactly two fancharacters that I actually consider characters as such, rather than little fun things I doodle on the side occasionally.

A fan Pokemon trainer, and a caravaner for the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles universe. Those are the only things that I think have enough creative freedom to actually make good fancharacters for. I haven't used either of them in over a year.

In general, honestly, I... Don't like fancharacters. Aside from doing art or RPing with them and fun stuff like that, you can't really... Use them for anything, and that puts me off. As they belong to the universe that inspired them which is typically copyrighted, no matter how much work you put into them or whatever, it's never really going to be considered legally 'yours' beyond being a fanwork to someone else's property.

As such, I find them a really big waste of time, especially because they cut into the time that I can use to develop my original characters and write stuff about them and their worlds and whatever that belongs solely to me. :3c

AtomiKamikaze
08-06-2012, 10:13 PM
In general, honestly, I... Don't like fancharacters. Aside from doing art or RPing with them and fun stuff like that, you can't really... Use them for anything, and that puts me off. As they belong to the universe that inspired them which is typically copyrighted, no matter how much work you put into them or whatever, it's never really going to be considered legally 'yours' beyond being a fanwork to someone else's property.

As such, I find them a really big waste of time, especially because they cut into the time that I can use to develop my original characters and write stuff about them and their worlds and whatever that belongs solely to me. :3c

You said it about FCs. And this is why one of my friends doesn't like RPing with me anymore, she got into fandoms rather than using her creativity.

Anyway, I still use my Team Rocket and Pokemon fancharacters, some of which I had since what, 1998? Of course much more developed, and doing a mock nuzlocke comic with them. I enjoy using them, but certainly not to the extent of my original shit, for reasons quoted above. Alas, Rocket Grunt Matsuo, as much as I love your perverted lazy-ass, your series still belongs to Nintendo.

Taelune
08-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Actually this isn't necessarily true, Doujinshi are basically Fan-fiction manga, which can be published and people really love to read fanfictions, which help build your renown, but i agree they are more fun to be used with Role-playing. Which in itself is nice to do for fun, and entertainment.

Kazekai
08-08-2012, 03:08 AM
I think I did that with my first "sonic" fan character, and ironically I still keep him as an original character that I rarely draw. Do you have any other characters though?

The only fan characters I really made were Sonic characters. I used to be completely and utterly obsessed with it, it was pretty much the thing that absorbed my highschool career.

I tried making a Spyro fanfic that took place a few hundred years after the first game but none of the content went anywhere. I left the forum I was on so I didn't see a reason to continue when I was just doing it for e-penis points.

Lee
08-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Actually this isn't necessarily true, Doujinshi are basically Fan-fiction manga, which can be published and people really love to read fanfictions, which help build your renown, but i agree they are more fun to be used with Role-playing. Which in itself is nice to do for fun, and entertainment.
Both doujinshi and pay-to-read fanfiction can get you sued for copyright infringement, though-- even if companies don't often go after it. The point still stands that that's nothing a legitimate publisher would touch without heavy HEAVY alterations like that 50 Shades of Horrible series at which point it's no longer a fanwork and as such does not count.

Uini
08-09-2012, 07:26 PM

Interesting opinion!!! While copyright holders do reserve the right to call a cease and desist on something that would taking profits away from them, I hardly think they'll waste their time stopping a person from using a fan designed character to convey and alternate story with their characters. People are able to sell doujinshi easily in japan because of how loose some of the copyright laws are, people legit make a living of it. In America, copyright holders are anal about their profits and can take legal action on someone trying to profit from something that they created, but that's only in cases of people actually legit trying to make a profit from someone elses work. This is also why fan work is usually free to the public in the the states.

Fan characters don't always have to be constricted to the universe that they're from, yanno. =) I've made fan characters that are constricted to their worlds and some that can be put in their own. A good example from me would be 2 women I originally created for the Megaman X series, ones an operator and another is a robotics engineer. With that alone, its broad enough purpose for them to easily be used as original ideas. My latest character is a woman in the Rayman Origin's universe that serves as a pseudo-nymph with a giant bubble staff. I also decided to make her (in a original sense) a jungle/forest dwelling nature girl who does very well by self. Even with my ex sonic character, her personality and story had drifted beyond the sonic universe years ago. All it took was some resigning and she's pretty much an original concept now.

I personally don't find it a waste of time seeing that it can be beneficial and help with the creating process, as long as you're looking to be flexible and creative enough to make something of your characters. =)

Apollyon_Unit01
08-13-2012, 05:09 PM
I used to have one (or two, I guess).

One was just literally a Tails recolor with only one tail and a different hue of yellow. A year or so later (this was back around 2005/2006, just to note), I revised the character to be more of a fursona. Changes that I made were his fur color (now had blue/light blue) and clothing (wore a red shirt under a green buttoned shirt). Year or two later, changed his gender to female and I pretty much just stopped using the character at around 2008.

Personally, I don't mind fan characters as long as they're not recolors, Mary Sues/Gary Stus, or whatnot. The best example I can come up with, by using Gundam 0079, is maybe creating a mid-20s Zeon pilot who only joined the military to pay for his college fees and for his poor family (who never encounters any of the main characters). Not saying they should be that bland but that's just what I wrote.

Also, it is possible to reuse a fan character for an original story. It's just that you'll have to make sure you change a few things if possible (Pokemon FC's (Fan Character) birthplace, Zelda FC's race, etc). You know, so that way you avoid any copyright issues and all that. In contrast, fan characters of, say, Clerks or Chasing Amy should have a very easy transition from being a fan character to an original character. Other then that, their personality, name, appearance, skill, etc shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Sorry if there's something that doesn't make sense. Hopefully everything is made clear.

Zalcoti
10-06-2012, 04:45 PM
If creating a new region and 100+ Pokemon counts, then that's the only thing I do nowadays. I'd rather create my own characters to be honest. It's more rewarding.

Spiritwhitewolf
10-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Reconsiders to make some FAN OC of Red XIII from Final Fantasy 7 and Ronso from Final Fantasy X :3 because they are my favorite characters in games

Flygon
10-06-2012, 10:11 PM
My account name should say it all. Except, it didn't start out that way.

Long story short, I got the account name, and several years down the road, a Flygon character followed, and has had brief appearances here-and-there since. But it's not exactly practical to make a character out of something that has no defining features. :P

Tapeworm
10-07-2012, 02:35 AM
I haven't really had any fancharacters until I joined the homestuck fandom. I still only have a few though, but I want to make a comic or something about them. I love the idea of fancharacters, they're just so varied despite being based off of a certain universe.

AtomiKamikaze
10-07-2012, 10:33 AM
My oldest character I have is a Pokemon FC from 1999, my young young childhood days. He was originally just a Team Rocket grunt dating my horrendous Marysue character and I didn't look at him much. I trashed the sue and revamped him a little; now he's a harmless, stupid grunt with a Jenny fetish to be ironic.

Other than that, I can't say I've actually had a legitimate fancharacter since. My friends either ask me to roleplay canon characters, or the roleplay is Fallout related which sort of makes your player an OC from the start.

Liberty
10-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Oh, boy.

I used to have a few F-Zero fan characters, but most of them spun off into original characters after a while. I never really thought about the concept for years, and I kinda rolled my eyes at it when I was into 'Mass Effect'. Namely, I had created a couple for fan fic purposes (better than shoehorning a canon character into a role they weren't made for) but they were largely kept off to the background. Otherwise, I was of a mind that 'Why would I want to read a fic about characters I don't know/care about?'

Then I got into Green Lantern and created a couple "Fan Lanterns". Mostly for fun, just to tool around with some designs/concepts (i.e. a Xudarian Red Lantern, a male Star Sapphire), but then they kinda took on lives of their own and I guess some people who follow me on Tumblr like them, or at least, put up with them, lmao. I draw them mostly for fun, and given how large and varied the GL series is, I don't see any harm in it. *shrug*

I think the key point is really doing the research of the series in question and paying close attention to the 'acceptable parameters'. I don't label every FC a Self-Insert (or Mary Sue/Gary Stu, if you prefer those terms), because there are quite a few I've come across that believably fit into an established universe. But with all things, it's usually a case of Sturgeon's Law, or 'A couple rotten apples spoil the whole barrel'. Eh.

Scarlet
10-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Uh, I have a couple fan characters here and there. But I don't really do much with them..

I have an Ao no Exorcist fan character, a few MLP FiM ones, and a few pokemon fan characters here and there.

I personally do not mind fan characters, and I don't find it harmful towards the fandom or the artists. In my view it's just another way to branch out and show creativity, even if it's partially based off something else~

kyan
10-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Can't say I have my own fancharacters no.

Fancharacters are generally, imo, a waste of time and generally uncreative. I think it's fine to draw in the style of a show you like from time to time and play around with it, but when a person becomes kinda obsessive and their main "OC" is a green charizard or something it's kinda sad. I just don't see the point most of the time, I think people should come up with their own thing. This world needs more, original, interesting, unique characters (I dont mean sparkle wolves) that people can relate to.. Not recoloured sonic pics and more add-ons to the endless swarm of lion king characters that are somehow related to Nala's great uncle steve or whatever.

I think they can be damaging to the artist if the artist ONLY draws fancharacters, all the time. I think if someone has a fancharacter they draw on occasion that's fine, it may even help them improve drawing in other styles. Which, personally, I think it's important to be able to be flexible in one's style if you want to be say, an animator for example. It can be damaging to get stuck in a particular style either which way. If you only ever draw sonic characters, your style will be reflected by that, and may even lead to your style just BECOMING the sonic style. What I'm saying is, it's just important not to loose your voice when drawing fanart or fancharacters, because what you have is unique! =)

Dspki
10-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Can't say I have my own fancharacters no.

Fancharacters are generally, imo, a waste of time and generally uncreative. I think it's fine to draw in the style of a show you like from time to time and play around with it, but when a person becomes kinda obsessive and their main "OC" is a green charizard or something it's kinda sad. I just don't see the point most of the time, I think people should come up with their own thing. This world needs more, original, interesting, unique characters (I dont mean sparkle wolves) that people can relate to.. Not recoloured sonic pics and more add-ons to the endless swarm of lion king characters that are somehow related to Nala's great uncle steve or whatever.

I think they can be damaging to the artist if the artist ONLY draws fancharacters, all the time. I think if someone has a fancharacter they draw on occasion that's fine, it may even help them improve drawing in other styles. Which, personally, I think it's important to be able to be flexible in one's style if you want to be say, an animator for example. It can be damaging to get stuck in a particular style either which way. If you only ever draw sonic characters, your style will be reflected by that, and may even lead to your style just BECOMING the sonic style. What I'm saying is, it's just important not to loose your voice when drawing fanart or fancharacters, because what you have is unique! =)

I agree with this. Even though I have a few fan chars myself, they're more like something I did in the moment. They don't really stay around for too long I noticed. My fursona used to be a mutated hybrid of Pokemons but then I started going out of my comfort zone and now she's a jackal/dragon (a "unique" type of dragon I created). I debated about turning her into a jackal vampire to make it simpler but I'm considering just leaving her the way she is. All I can do is work the kinks out and I got a little off topic, I'm sorry!

The point I was making was that fan chars seem to be the starting point for everyone who gets inspired somehow. And then you start developing your own awesome ideas from time to time and try to make it more original and fun for you. I believe fan chars are only deemed harmful when you start obsessing and staying with that style or those types of characters. When progression is halted because of something like this then it becomes a problem.

FluffyMuffins230
04-05-2014, 01:56 AM
I have tons and tons of oc's / fan characters myself and some have turned out to be mary-sues while others I've been proud of. Of course though I am still working on a lot of them to make them better since I roleplay on tumblr a lot. Here are some fandoms I have oc's for.

-Legend Of Zelda (Skyward Sword & Wind Waker)
-Hellsing
-Naruto
-Lion King
-Creepypasta

BlackStatic
04-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Does taking original characters and appropriating them to certain fandoms count?

Benny Bunnycorn
04-05-2014, 09:23 AM

What do you consider original? Just a random question.

We all start out with fancharacters at one point, but eventually get better at making characters who are more original. I did start out with Sonic recolors, except it wasn't because I thought it was cool, but because it was the "extent of my art skills at the time." Dumb excuse, but eventually I got a little better at drawing and spriting, and ended up getting non-related OCs. Even though my drawing skills are still average at absolute best, I did end up making characters I admire like a giant rat who giggles all the time due to a joke told to him as a kid, and an adorable bat with a plug for a tail and arms that are actually its wings. (It isn't just Sonic where I see anthropomorphic bats with both wings AND arms separate. I seem to see that a lot.)

Some of my characters did start out as Happy Tree Friends OCs, or at least characters drawn in that style since I didn't actually like the show at all except for its cutesy style, but eventually they branched out and I started to flesh their designs out more, and even make new characters. Still, I DO still draw fan characters if fake-Pokemon count. One of my signature fakemon is an opposum with a huge tail and a snake for one of his arms.

Edit: I also have a few Skylanders OCs, but who cares?

Damian
04-05-2014, 12:05 PM
This topic is pretty old but I'll respond anyway because the "uncreative" comment got to me.

Fan characters are only as "uncreative" as the creator makes them. A "green charizard" was mentioned. Ok, so is that the only thing that makes the charizard stand out? If so then, yeah it's uncreative but a simple "green dragon" isn't all that creative either.

What if the Charizard is a shiny? What if it's genetically modified by Team Rocket and that gave it its green color? That's what I'm talking about what creators do to explain about their character.

Just because it's part of a fandom doesn't make it uncreative. It's how they are presented in that universe.

Ruggy
04-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Any time I get really excited about a show/movie/book and I try to have a fan character, I eventually end up morphing it into something that's mine. In part because I eventually feel weirded out about having a character that's essentially dependent on someone else's ideas, usually about the time that my enthusiasm for whatever story it's tied to levels out to 'reasonable'. More often, it's because there's some stuff about the world the original story is set in that I want to change for an idea I had, and then I feel like changing this and that other thing, and then I might as well just not have it be a fan thing anymore. I'm... really terrible at sticking to anyone else's canon.

I do find it to be a useful jumping-off point, though. Even when they inevitably end up no longer a fan-character, the burst of enthusiasm and creativity that inspired the character is still there. Usually, if I'm making a fan character, there's something about the setting that I find so exciting that I'm inclined to ask, "what if this kind of character were there?"

One of my oldest characters started out as a Zelda fan-character. Then she was a sword-wielding wolf-anthro (hey, I've always had my interests.) Then a warrior woman riding on a giant wolf (whoops, went Mononoke there.) And now she's a rifle-shootin' linguist in her country's army, ends up kinda werewolfy, and she and her comrades have no idea how to deal with that (I guess I still have my interests.)

I also had a buuunch of MLP:FiM OC's back when I was super into the show, before I figured out that I really don't like RPing, and the ones I liked well enough to keep have pretty much been converted into horse (or zebra) furry-type characters. Some of them don't work so well without the context of FiM, though, which is kind of a shame. (I think my favorite was the zebra who was sent on a mission to where the ponies live, by her tribe, to find some non-existent knick-knack to break a non-existent curse, just because they didn't like her. After leaving her under the impression that unicorns were probably the "monsters" that cursed her tribe in the first place.)

But I lost interest in RP, and also lost interest in drawing MLP-style ponies, so I'm not sure what to do with them, if anything. I tried to write MLP fanfic a couple of times and I just couldn't make my brain do it. :I

Vae
04-06-2014, 11:00 PM
I've had fancharacters for things just about as long as I've been able to draw, and been into media. So, basically my entire life.
Be it for old NES games, The Lion King, Sailor Moon, DBZ, Beast Wars, Megaman, Metroid, Lifeforce, Sonic, The Legend of Dragoon, Soul Reaver, the list goes on. Granted, I forget what most of the older ones were.

Most of them are kind of self-inserty, because I'm a very self-centered, self-indulgent person.
Some of them have been holy fucking godawful Mary Sues, because that happens. But I try to avoid that as much as possible, nowadays.

Some of the ones I have that are still around and kicking:
- Indigo the Cat (http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/125/b/7/indigo_by_vaelarsa-d4ynf0g.png) (Sonic)
- Zairen Endelos (https://www.weasyl.com/~vae/submission/145916/vae-turian-woman-1013449.png) (Mass Effect)
- V Koopa (https://www.weasyl.com/~vae/submission/315412/vae-oc-final-design-1134343.png) (Mario)
- I forget (https://24.media.tumblr.com/2e8a28695e34e7b0945401afcf1ff620/tumblr_n3n4aqDZTK1sonvd0o3_250.png) this bitch's name (https://31.media.tumblr.com/b3a67b206b9d9f5a7761b4b33417fe24/tumblr_n3n4aqDZTK1sonvd0o2_500.png) and I forget this bitch's name (https://24.media.tumblr.com/c0e2d4f308a8e1dac858b50f26e0768b/tumblr_n3n4aqDZTK1sonvd0o1_500.png) (Homestuck)

Zeitzbach
04-08-2014, 12:04 AM
I gave up on making fan characters. Unless I absolutely love the lore and the settings of that certain game/story, I will probably just throw in some random dimension hopping character, which suck.

Even if I do stick to the races and style there, the characters are likely to be rushed and badly developed.

lorenith
04-08-2014, 03:34 PM
I've mostly made fan characters for things I want to participate in and such (as such I have a bunch of pokemon characters, and a few digimons, I'm in the process of converting the digimon into spirits for one of my own stories though). Some characters were original characters given a new paint job just to fit into the fan world. I've decided that oct's are generally toxic and frustrating though so I don't participate in them anymore.

I think the only fan characters I have independent of an oct are also ones that I've also recently turned into original not fan characters. A Yoshi, a Buzzy Beetle (the little red bettle/turtles with wings) and a Magikoopa. I haven't actually been able to think of a story for them that works outside of a marioey universe so I have no idea what to do with them in their designed to not be nintendo fan characters.

therainbowtroll
04-17-2014, 12:19 PM
I love making characters. I love feeling involved in media I love so much. The majority I keep to myself but I still make a ton. Espechilly my little ponies. They are so fun to make X3

KumatoraKazooie
04-24-2014, 09:58 PM
I have three but I haven't drawn them in a long time and they are the children of official Nintendo characters like Nana of the Ice Climbers and Duster and Kumatora from Mother 3.

I also have an Aquacadet alterego