PDA

View Full Version : College?

RX-149Dragonite
08-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Where the hell are you all going, if you are going?

University of Michigan reporting.

obliviousally
08-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm a student at Kent State University right now. Still undecided because I refuse to purchase a REQUIRED Macbook to be in the VCD program. Probably going to end up doing something computer-y elsewhere or maybe Fine Arts. Who knows.

Aetius
08-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Going to school in Arizona, currently in my junior year. Studying Economics.

RX-149Dragonite
08-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm a student at Kent State University right now. Still undecided because I refuse to purchase a REQUIRED Macbook to be in the VCD program. Probably going to end up doing something computer-y elsewhere or maybe Fine Arts. Who knows.

That's messed up, but there are probably ways around easily.

Fay V
08-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Montana State. yup

AtomiKamikaze
08-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Former RIT student here. :P Now going to College of SI

Tiger
08-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Where the hell are you all going, if you are going?

University of Michigan reporting.

Dearborn or Ann Arbor?

RX-149Dragonite
08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Dearborn or Ann Arbor?

Ann Arbor

Ibuuyk
08-01-2012, 08:43 PM
I had my diploma in computer science at the Cégep de Trois-Rivières. Then I studied health science for a few months at the Cégep de l'Abitibi-Témiscamingue before my health forced me to stop.

Around 2014, I'm planning to study video game development at the Collège de Bois-de-Boulogne. An actual "college", fancy~

obliviousally
08-01-2012, 10:22 PM
That's messed up, but there are probably ways around easily.

I've been trying to feel out the strictness of it, but I don't know many VCD students and most incoming freshman, well, they're able to afford Macbooks (if they don't already have them). It's a really frustrating situation because we're an Apple campus in a way, as we have an Apple store in the bookstore. Sure, we sell non-Apple laptops, but they're few and far between.

I've expressed my displeasure with the requirements to the advisors in that department, explaining that a PC with the same required specs is nearly identical to a Macbook and there is absolutely zero reason to require one for classes. 'Industry standard' doesn't hold up when every program that used to be in Apple exclusive is now either available for both platforms OR, there's an equivalent that's just as good. Buuuut, I don't think the sense and logic is getting through to them.

WHAT'S WORSE (now I'm rambling). The 2D Composition classes now REQUIRE an iPad. Not just a tablet in general. It can't be any other brand. It has to be an iPad. Reasons? Same as above. 'Industry standard'.

RX-149Dragonite
08-01-2012, 11:10 PM
I've been trying to feel out the strictness of it, but I don't know many VCD students and most incoming freshman, well, they're able to afford Macbooks (if they don't already have them). It's a really frustrating situation because we're an Apple campus in a way, as we have an Apple store in the bookstore. Sure, we sell non-Apple laptops, but they're few and far between.

I've expressed my displeasure with the requirements to the advisors in that department, explaining that a PC with the same required specs is nearly identical to a Macbook and there is absolutely zero reason to require one for classes. 'Industry standard' doesn't hold up when every program that used to be in Apple exclusive is now either available for both platforms OR, there's an equivalent that's just as good. Buuuut, I don't think the sense and logic is getting through to them.

WHAT'S WORSE (now I'm rambling). The 2D Composition classes now REQUIRE an iPad. Not just a tablet in general. It can't be any other brand. It has to be an iPad. Reasons? Same as above. 'Industry standard'.

Ouch, that's harsh. I would suggest just dual installing a Mac OS alongside a Windows partition, or something like that.

Kazekai
08-01-2012, 11:18 PM
I dropped out, too much work, and I can learn to draw online without all the anime-hating art teachers/students and actual going into a building with hundreds of "normal" people.

Shane
08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
My first year of college begins this August. I'll be attending Tidewater Community College in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Brynja
08-02-2012, 12:40 PM

I had considered going to Kent, but if they're going to make students buy overpriced bricks.... ಠ_ಠ How would you rate the school itself? I keep hearing bad things about Kent, and it'd be nice to get the perspective of someone who's actually there.

Saiko
08-02-2012, 12:44 PM
I'll be off to Ole Miss in the next couple weeks. Can't wait to start. ^.^

Matt
08-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm a senior in college. I like it. It's been nice. I'm starting the application process to go to grad school for linguistics right now. It's rather intimidating, especially since I had such trouble with higher education for so long. My merits are going to have to be framed in potential and trajectory rather than G.P.A., and that's going to be a hard sell.

I dropped out, too much work, and I can learn to draw online without all the anime-hating art teachers/students and actual going into a building with hundreds of "normal" people.

I'm curious. What kind of anime hatred did you experience?

obliviousally
08-02-2012, 09:35 PM
I had considered going to Kent, but if they're going to make students buy overpriced bricks.... ಠ_ಠ How would you rate the school itself? I keep hearing bad things about Kent, and it'd be nice to get the perspective of someone who's actually there.

As far as I know, the VCD department is really the only place that has this requirement and, like was discussed, it MAY be circumvent-able, I just haven't really pushed it all that much. I do like Kent, but I'm also a local (born and raised in NE Ohio and moved to Kent about three years ago), so the school is just part of the town sometimes to me. XD We have a great fashion program and a pretty solid art program - VCD included. The people here are great and, while it is a small town, it's adjacent to three larger cities (Cleveland, Akron, Canton).

We get a lot of bad press because of 'typical' college students, more often than not, which are a fraction of the whole student population. Last year, there were riot police at College Fest because people got too drunk and started throwing bottled and harassing the police officers - this was confined to one stretch of road on a block. Recently, there was that kid who 'threatened' to shoot up the university - which I think was entirely overblown on everyone's part and was likely one kid venting his displeasure at the university.

I don't think Kent is any better or worse than most colleges in the area (except Youngstown State - it's definitely better than YSU and I wouldn't wish living in Youngstown on anyone). It's nice if you want a smaller town to live in for your college years, as well. If you want a 'city' experience, Akron or Cleveland is a better bet.

I'm really bad at going OH OUR ACADEMICS BLAH BLAH because I am still undecided, but I don't hear a whole lot of complaints outside of typical college woes and struggles that everyone faces. I like Kent, myself, and I love the city, so I'd give it a thumbs up. XD

kingcrowned
08-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Planning on two years of community college to up my credits... stressed to hell trying to get in all the paperwork before my time runs out. Unfortunately, the people I need to help me fill out the forms and get the correct tax information done are not being very helpful. :<

After that, off to Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science. Though it's a couple years off, so who knows if I'll change my mind by then. XD

RX-149Dragonite
08-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm a senior in college. I like it. It's been nice. I'm starting the application process to go to grad school for linguistics right now. It's rather intimidating, especially since I had such trouble with higher education for so long. My merits are going to have to be framed in potential and trajectory rather than G.P.A., and that's going to be a hard sell.

So you're going to U of M too? Nice.

Ratte
08-03-2012, 01:18 AM
I'll be starting at Minot State University in a couple weeks.

Kazekai
08-03-2012, 04:09 AM
I'm curious. What kind of anime hatred did you experience?

Nothing much, it was mostly in one class because most people in my college are older or something, someone wanted to know "what my problem was" because I draw some pokemon and I'm an adult. :V

Although that was with most things. Somebody in the hall between classes did a double-take when they saw me playing Kirby on a 3DS, someone asked me why my shirt had an internet meme on it, someone got mad at me because I wanted my project for a class on internet effecting modern life was going to be on indie games and their advancement because "video games are for kids" I guess, stuff like that not really exclusive to anime.

Drifloon
08-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm going to do an MA at Kingston in a month and a half. I am excited as I am finally going to get a new PC as my old Macbook is on on its last legs and like the poster at Kent State it is the same in the media industry. A magazine veteren said to me once that no one would hire you in the media sector if you don't have a Mac but that is bull as I think PCs are BETTER at photoshop/editing then Macs.

Pony King
08-03-2012, 10:38 AM
I am 99% sure I'm done with college. I got my AA(planned to go for bachelors), which took way too long and cost me way too much. The amount of debt I'm in is overwhelming and I don't know what I'm gonna do with my career.(let alone pay back what I owe) To tell you the truth I think my choice for a career in illustration was a bad idea, I probably should have went into webdesign & front-end development.
I'm trying to find time to figure my life out while doing my day-to-day stuff and TRYING my best not to get depressed. -_-;

NightWolf714
08-03-2012, 03:37 PM
@ Kazekai: Those people need to get out more. o3o

@ Obliviousally: Dang, now I feel a little better about our school. The nursing department requires us all to use electronic books. >_<;

@ Topic in General: I'm at Lipscomb, in TN. Trying to finish up my last year and run far away from the place. >_<;

Tybby
08-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Seneca, Toronto Ontario

Fun times yes

Studying to be a librarian

BudgieBin
08-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Went to New England Institute of Technology from Jan 2009 - Oct 2010. Got my Associates' in Cabinetmaking, with a personal focus on finishing and restoration. No one wants to hire me though :D

Brace
08-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Currently going to Arapahoe Community College. Just finished an Associate of General Studies. Next semester I am finishing two more Associates in Computer Networking and Computer Technician (I have no idea why it's called that, it's so grammatically awkward). Then I am going on to Front Range Community College to take lower level Electrical Engineering coursework to see if I'm cut out for it, and if I am, going on for a Computer and Electrical Engineering degree at CU Boulder, and if not, using the extra credits I amass to get two more Associates; one in Computer Information Systems and one in Computer Science. Since there is a rather large overlap in credits I might do this even if I do go on for the Electrical Engineering degree. I was also considering double majoring in Engineering Physics since CU Boulder has an Engineering Physics BS/MS program, and an MS would be really nice for never having to worry about dying of exposure on the street again. I've been a straight A student through the curriculum of these Associates, so I'm hoping I can keep that up. Math is kind of a bitch though.

Wuvvums
08-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I won't say where I'm going but I am in a graduate program for accounting. I'm really down about the fact that the pell grant is only for undergraduates and all the scholarships that my university offers is for undergrads. Dad's going to help pay for college and this is the cheapest program I could think of (about $16,000 tuition in all). Dad would be more on board with helping if I could find a job, and I'm looking but I haven't gotten anything yet. I'm hoping something comes soon because this is an accelerated program and I think I could get somewhere better with a master's but it costs so much :/

And Dad said no loans. I don't blame him.

Ratte
08-04-2012, 03:57 PM
I won't say where I'm going but I am in a graduate program for accounting. I'm really down about the fact that the pell grant is only for undergraduates and all the scholarships that my university offers is for undergrads. Dad's going to help pay for college and this is the cheapest program I could think of (about $16,000 tuition in all). Dad would be more on board with helping if I could find a job, and I'm looking but I haven't gotten anything yet. I'm hoping something comes soon because this is an accelerated program and I think I could get somewhere better with a master's but it costs so much :/

And Dad said no loans. I don't blame him.

Federal student loans or private bank loans?

Aetius
08-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Ohh boy, that time of year when you have to spend hundreds of dollars on single text books.

Ibuuyk
08-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Ohh boy, that time of year when you have to spend hundreds of dollars on single text books.

Aww man, I don't miss these times.

That or teachers "suggesting" people to buy the textbooks they wrote themselves for a shitload because it'll help them succeed in the class, and even going as far as giving the answer to most exercises in that particular textbook, making the whole class a "pay-to-win" event.

Greedy computer science teachers who make illegal money on the side, get their wages augmented every single year and STILL keep whining all the fucking time about how you can barely live off a teacher's wage alone. Pricks, stop buying houses and cars every time you pop another kid. I swear, they should make the teaching qualifications higher and evaluate them more often.

Matt
08-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Aww man, I don't miss these times.

That or teachers "suggesting" people to buy the textbooks they wrote themselves for a shitload because it'll help them succeed in the class, and even going as far as giving the answer to most exercises in that particular textbook, making the whole class a "pay-to-win" event.

Greedy computer science teachers who make illegal money on the side, get their wages augmented every single year and STILL keep whining all the fucking time about how you can barely live off a teacher's wage alone. Pricks, stop buying houses and cars every time you pop another kid. I swear, they should make the teaching qualifications higher and evaluate them more often.

I've only once had to buy a textbook written by my class professor. It wasn't because she wanted the money, but because no other equivalent textbook existed. In fact, on the first day of class she made the point that all the money she would have made from the 80-some books our class would buy was going to go to charity, and she let the class vote on which charity it would go to. Maybe I just lucked out.

Wuvvums
08-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Federal student loans or private bank loans?

Federal student loans.

Brynja
08-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Oh wow, this thread got big while I was away. xD

As far as I know, the VCD department is really the only place that has this requirement and, like was discussed, it MAY be circumvent-able, I just haven't really pushed it all that much. I do like Kent, but I'm also a local (born and raised in NE Ohio and moved to Kent about three years ago), so the school is just part of the town sometimes to me. XD We have a great fashion program and a pretty solid art program - VCD included. The people here are great and, while it is a small town, it's adjacent to three larger cities (Cleveland, Akron, Canton).

We get a lot of bad press because of 'typical' college students, more often than not, which are a fraction of the whole student population. Last year, there were riot police at College Fest because people got too drunk and started throwing bottled and harassing the police officers - this was confined to one stretch of road on a block. Recently, there was that kid who 'threatened' to shoot up the university - which I think was entirely overblown on everyone's part and was likely one kid venting his displeasure at the university.

I don't think Kent is any better or worse than most colleges in the area (except Youngstown State - it's definitely better than YSU and I wouldn't wish living in Youngstown on anyone). It's nice if you want a smaller town to live in for your college years, as well. If you want a 'city' experience, Akron or Cleveland is a better bet.

I'm really bad at going OH OUR ACADEMICS BLAH BLAH because I am still undecided, but I don't hear a whole lot of complaints outside of typical college woes and struggles that everyone faces. I like Kent, myself, and I love the city, so I'd give it a thumbs up. XD

Gracias! :D It's not too far from where I live, so I'll definitely consider Kent. I just need to figure out whether I should follow my creative roots or if I should go with science.

I'll probably end up going to community college first, the big universities are so expensive. [/procrastinate]

hotboychina
08-08-2012, 07:00 AM
going to some terrible community college here because i dont know what to do w my life
well i do and i dont i wanna be an animator but there are no schools here for that besides ai and well

i am not too keen on goin there

RX-149Dragonite
08-24-2012, 03:27 PM
6 more days for me~

Drifloon
08-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Lucky, I have 4 weeks to go. I just want uni to start now.

Ratte
08-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Federal student loans.

Federal student loans really aren't that bad at all. I have a small subsidized student loan for $3500 this year, but the interest rate is only 3.4% and since it's subsidized it won't accrue interest while I'm actually in school. If you know how to balance things as far as finances go they're really not bad at all. I think you can also itemize your loans on your taxes as well.

HBICxxHeadBitchInChargexx
08-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Where the hell are you all going

I-I'm not going to tell you if you're swearing at me.

RX-149Dragonite
09-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Well my classes start tomorrow

I wish all of the others who start classes tomorrow luck, as well

Shane
09-06-2012, 04:13 PM
I switched my major to Graphic Design. I can't wait to start!

Taw
09-08-2012, 09:12 PM
I graduate on Friday.

Studying 3D Game Animation and Modelling.

Excited to finally be done. Now to find work and become a grumpy old man someday.

RX-149Dragonite
09-08-2012, 11:00 PM
I graduate on Friday.

Excited to finally be done. Now to find work and become a grumpy old man someday.

Congrats

Shane
09-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I graduate on Friday.

Congratulations, Taw! How many years did it take you?

Taw
09-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Thanks guys. c:

It was a condensed course over two years. We got a week off every three months. During the week off they'd send us our new schedule and such. It was.. hectic and during the course they were remaking it so a lot of the times we got the short end of the stick. First semester was annoying because all we did was learn Photoshop (Which I've used extensively for years), Illustrator (same as Photoshop), Microsoft Office Suite (challenged the course on this, got a 97 on it and didn't need to take it), Dreamweaver (Actually didn't know this one so it was nice, and learned some neat css and html tricks!) and some foundation classes for art.

Overall it was a good course, though I think we focused way too heavily on the 2D animation side of things - we spent an entire year taking courses for 2D animation that I felt they could have used for more 3D modelling.

mutsurf
09-15-2012, 04:57 AM
I, too, am now a super college man.

Where I'm going, however, that is the real mystery.

RX-149Dragonite
09-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Where I'm going, however, that is the real mystery.

Where in the World is Mutsurf Sandiego?

Flame Soulis
09-19-2012, 01:27 AM
I'm attending Sussex County Community College (yay), majoring in Computer Science and Computer Information Systems.

Three years in and I MIGHT be close to one major being done...

Juste
09-19-2012, 07:33 PM
I went to Georgia Institute of Technology. To this day, I still consider going somewhere for a Masters/Ph.D.; however, I don't really know what I want to pursue in that regard or if it would even align with my life goals. It is a careful consideration.

Shane
09-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys. c:

It was a condensed course over two years. We got a week off every three months. During the week off they'd send us our new schedule and such. It was.. hectic and during the course they were remaking it so a lot of the times we got the short end of the stick. First semester was annoying because all we did was learn Photoshop (Which I've used extensively for years), Illustrator (same as Photoshop), Microsoft Office Suite (challenged the course on this, got a 97 on it and didn't need to take it), Dreamweaver (Actually didn't know this one so it was nice, and learned some neat css and html tricks!) and some foundation classes for art.

Overall it was a good course, though I think we focused way too heavily on the 2D animation side of things - we spent an entire year taking courses for 2D animation that I felt they could have used for more 3D modelling.

Wait, you used Dreamweaver in a 3D animation class? Interesting...

Rsyk
09-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Wait, you used Dreamweaver in a 3D animation class? Interesting...

Oh god Dreamweaver. I've used it for web design alone, and didn't like it very much.

Shane
09-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Oh god Dreamweaver. I've used it for web design alone, and didn't like it very much.

I'm interested in web design. I've heard some mixed opinions about Dreamweaver, but generally I thought people considered it a great tool to have.

Rsyk
09-30-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm interested in web design. I've heard some mixed opinions about Dreamweaver, but generally I thought people considered it a great tool to have.

It might have been the class I took, honestly. From my personal experience, it was frustrating to work with in both formats, but I wasn't given a lot of direction beyond "Here's the program, use it." I wound up going back to raw html after a bit. X3

Shane
10-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Well... to each their own. It may also have been a fault of the professor if they just required you to have the program but didn't really teach you how to use it effectively and efficiently.

Spiritwhitewolf
10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Consider to go college in soon when my kid go to school as pretty much

Animations In Sheridan College of Ontario

Doki
10-12-2012, 07:42 PM
going to some terrible community college here because i dont know what to do w my life
well i do and i dont i wanna be an animator but there are no schools here for that besides ai and well

i am not too keen on goin there

There's also montserrat if you're looking into the new england area.

Also some schools have animation but place them under some obscure name.

Meii
10-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I went to a Ocean County Community college for awhile, but the school's been underfire and money problems arose.

Currently I'm going to a vocational school for medical billing/coding, then I'm thinking of either going to the west coast for Arts Institute or maybe get a tattoo apprenticeship.

exdraghunt
10-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle, baby >:D

I'm a Performance Production major, aiming for a degree in theatrical costuming. Means lots of long hours and rehearsals.

Qoph
10-17-2012, 02:29 PM
University of Pittsburgh, going for Bachelor's in Computer Science.

doornob
10-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Welp, sent my transcripts over to Ontario this week. Applying to Sheridan for art fundamentals ;w;.

SwooshyCueb
10-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Mississippi State University!
I'm in a five year program (which is actually a six year program) that's going to get me a B.S. in Software Engineering and an M.S. in Computer Science.
I love it here, but college has not really helped with my anxiety. XD

Shane
10-22-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm seriously contemplating switching my current major (at community college) to get an associates degree in science, and then try to get into the wildlife program at Virginia Tech. The only thing is, I'm very poor at math and science... this is going to be a real challenge. x_x

Idlewild
10-28-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm at Colorado State University studying Wildlife Biology. :3
Hopefully I'll be done and graduated by fall of 2013. I've been here forever, haha!

nixon
10-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Plan on going to Fullerton College next semester, if everything pans out! Took a while to actually take the initiative to go since I couldn't decide what I actually wanted to do, but I think it's about time to actually start doing something again.

Xperia Husky
10-30-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm currently studying IT at Aberdeen College here in Scotland but next year I am actually looking into getting into university as I've had enough of traveling every day back and forth, It takes an hour and half to get there by bus which means for me to get up at 6am.

Cani Lupine
12-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Started my higher education part-time at Columbia Community College in Sonora, CA taking some general education courses. I first had my major as Culinary Arts, since I was working in restaurants and didn't mind it. In time, I started realizing it wasn't what I wanted for a career, and my ex fiancee breaking up with me forced me to re-plan a lot of things. I finished the semester, then dropped.

Went to Oregon State University for a couple years, first majoring in Biology, hoping to become a Wildlife Biologist, then ended up switching to Mechanical Engineering. Second year was 2 half-time terms because my financial aid wasn't enough. Dropped out because of the lack of finances.

Currently, I have ALMOST enough credits to be considered a Junior, so I'll most likely fill out the FAFSA next month after I get my taxes sorted out, then take my credits to the local community college and see what Associate's degree I can get with the credits I have, maybe taking a couple more classes. I have too much student loan debt from OSU to stay empty-handed!

Case
12-09-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm in college first year at RDC in Alberta. Planning to transfer to complete my BFA in Sheridan over in Toronto and take their Animation program for another BFA in animation. :3

I'm going into animation. Who knew. x3

Araneus
12-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Just entering fourth semester of the Humber College Funeral Services Program.

Entoxzica
12-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Crossing my fingers to go to SCAD in Savannah, Georgia.

Sayleus
12-13-2012, 11:44 PM
I go to a small community college that's like 10 minutes away from my house. Very nice c: I'll be leaving there with my associates in teaching next year o3o!

Neuron
12-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm seriously contemplating switching my current major (at community college) to get an associates degree in science, and then try to get into the wildlife program at Virginia Tech. The only thing is, I'm very poor at math and science... this is going to be a real challenge. x_x
Do not let this discourage you, I am speaking from personal experience.

If you have a good reading comprehension, then you will do fine in many science classes. It may be that it requires a little more studying because the unfamiliar terms and concepts are at first hard to memorize and learn.

As for math, I have struggled in this subject my entire life, but you know what I recently got on my College Algebra final? A 91 out of 100. If you knew how much and how long I had struggled in math for, you would be floored by that fact. A good teacher, a determination to learn the subject, and helpful books that attempt to tutor people who are more artsy will all help.

I highly recommend going to your library and finding a book titled, "Learn College Algebra The Easy Way" because it presents a lot of the concepts in a story form that will be easy for you to pick up. I also recommend that you check out a website called Khan Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org/) and start tutoring yourself there with his videos and problems. Always seek out your teacher for extra help and make appointments with them if you are struggling, you paid to be there, and they will be more than willing to.

Gee, maybe I should start a studying and tutoring resources thread somewhere.

Anyway, as for me, I recently changed from an Associate of Science at a community college to an Associate of Applied Sciences in Electroneurodiagnostic technology. It took 2 years of school to find this path but now I am truly excited about my work.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I really think going to a big university and taking out several thousand dollars worth of loans for a degree you aren't positive you want because you're still young is a total scam. I'm in 0 debt because I can pay for all my school upfront with these cheap prices, and it's great.