PDA

View Full Version : What is your preferred writing environment?

Tetrazen
10-18-2013, 09:39 PM
I personally enjoy writing at home in a darkened room with some of my favorite music playing in my headphones. I feel like the dark atmosphere helps immerse me in my imagination and I can focus on weaving the world in my mind.

What is your favorite environment to write in?

Damian
10-18-2013, 10:52 PM
I have many different environments when doing different parts of writing.
When I'm creating a character, I like to play music that I feel would fit them the most.
When I'm writing a story out, I like to be out and about among people. I see how they interact, their expressions, their body language. I hear how the world works and incorporate it on paper. Like how artists draw from life, I write from life.

Tetrazen
10-19-2013, 11:28 AM
I haven't written outside in a long time, but I think I'd enjoy it as long as it was a nice day outside.

Aden
10-20-2013, 02:24 PM
I only really write during NaNoWriMo, but my preferred environment during that time is a specific little cafe near my downtown area. It's one of those places that started out as a little hole in the wall and began randomly assimilating all the space around it, becoming a bigger hole in the wall with a bunch of wildly different sections. So there are lots of little nooks and hidden areas to go set up a laptop, pick up some food and drink from the bar, and just write for four or five hours.

Tetrazen
10-20-2013, 04:24 PM
I only really write during NaNoWriMo, but my preferred environment during that time is a specific little cafe near my downtown area. It's one of those places that started out as a little hole in the wall and began randomly assimilating all the space around it, becoming a bigger hole in the wall with a bunch of wildly different sections. So there are lots of little nooks and hidden areas to go set up a laptop, pick up some food and drink from the bar, and just write for four or five hours.

That sounds like a place I'd like to visit :3 There aren't too many nice places by where I am, either too crowded or noisy or something like that.

Aden
10-20-2013, 10:07 PM
That sounds like a place I'd like to visit :3 There aren't too many nice places by where I am, either too crowded or noisy or something like that.

There's tons of stuff you can do! Pick up coffees and go write at a library, go bring your laptops to some quad in a nearby university campus, and so on. And if you're doing NaNo, chances are there's a local group near you that'll host writing sessions.

Tybby
10-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Public places: the bus, the mall, the library

if there's too much noise I can hear myself think and that just ruins my concentration

Tetrazen
10-22-2013, 11:36 AM
There's tons of stuff you can do! Pick up coffees and go write at a library, go bring your laptops to some quad in a nearby university campus, and so on. And if you're doing NaNo, chances are there's a local group near you that'll host writing sessions.

I'll have to look into finding some good locations :3

Poetigress
10-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Home is best, with ambient music in the background, but anywhere private where I can be alone (or at least feel alone) will work. I'm not comfortable writing in public places; I wind up feeling too self-conscious.