PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Talk

Kasune
08-01-2012, 07:47 AM
I finally have the courage to start a thread and an idea to go with it.
The topic is... *drumroll* Sleep!

Some topic starters:

What time do you normally go to sleep?
Do you go to sleep earlier during the week? Later on the weekends?
Do you have a job? School? When you're not working or on summer break, does your sleep schedule often change?
Do you suffer from insomnia? If so, mild or extreme?
Are you an early bird, or do you like to sleep in?
Have you ever had to take medication (over-the-counter or prescribed) to help you go to sleep before?

I suffer from pretty bad insomnia, especially during the summer. Last night I went to bed at 4 AM, and that was a little earlier than usual for me. I have to get up early to take care of my dog in the morning (feed + walk) despite what time I go to bed.
Last week I would stay up til 7-8 AM and do what I had to, then sleep most of the day. It was a cycle I almost couldn't break out of until I went to the pharmacy and got some sleep aid to help it. It's kind've worked so far.

oneandonly
08-01-2012, 09:08 AM
I usually go to sleep any time around 9 to 11 PM. I tend to sleep in no later than 8 AM. I often wake up for like 30 minutes at some time around 3 in the morning for no reason, and if I can't sleep again, I'll just check what's going on online, then go back to sleep. I've never had to take any medication for sleeping either.

Ibuuyk
08-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Usually 11:30pm, but when I have something to download, midnight.

Nope.

Do you have a job? School? When you're not working or on summer break, does your sleep schedule often change?
No job or school at the moment, but when I do I change my schedule so I always have at least eight hours of sleep.

I've had severe insomnia since I was eight. Over the years, I've found lil tricks to make it a tad better, like having a strict sleeping schedule where I go to sleep at the same time every night and set my alarm to wake up at the same time every day.

8:00am erryday. No excuses.

Have you ever had to take medication (over-the-counter or prescribed) to help you go to sleep before?
Only when my scoliosis worsened and the pain kept me from sleeping, they prescribed me some pain-killers that also acted as sleeping pills. Whoooooaaaaa man, it was EFFECTIVE.

Kitten
08-01-2012, 09:22 AM
For the last year and a half or so I've lacked any decent form of a sleep schedule, shifting from nocturnal to diurnal at the whims of my brain chemistry, but I'm working on that now as part of a semi-coherent plan to be healthier.

Sinjo
08-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Midnight to Eight in the morning.

I try to keep a strict sleep schedual.

Ben
08-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm actually going to move this to Lifestyle, since I'd say how you sleep is pretty intertwined with such a topic. But anyway!

I work rather unusual hours-- 2 to 10pm-- Since I'm a door-to-door canvasser. So I usually go to sleep around 3am, later if I'm doing something important/not important but utterly compelling. Even when I didn't have a job though I had a tendency to stay up this late, since honestly, all the best stuff happens after midnight. So I'm super glad I have a job that works around that.

Although of course, once classes start in a few weeks, I'm going to have to start being a ~responsible adult~ and going to bed earlier. I'm not entirely sure yet how I'm going to get any sleep with school, work and Weasyl all sapping at me, but I'll try my best!

Saiko
08-01-2012, 04:40 PM
You could say I have a sort of "voluntary insomnia." I don't have any real problems that I'm aware of. Just I hate going to bed in and of itself. Right now my normal bed time is roughly 3a. xD

Tiger
08-01-2012, 05:14 PM
I have insomnia. :c I do have medicine for sleeping, though, and it helps. I take 2 (sometimes 3) pills a night for it. I take it at 7 sometimes, or sometimes 10. It does work wonders though. I used to be lucky to get three hours of sleep. Now I can sleep normally.

SirCoffeecup
08-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Usually I go to bed around 3-5 am depending whether or not there's something going on on internet I can access with my phone.
I sleep around 12 during summer, 6am when I got school.
It doesn't leave me much room for sleep on schooldays. One of the reasons I love coffee so much

Ibuuyk
08-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Midnight to Eight in the morning.

I try to keep a strict sleep schedual.

Welcome in the club of dem people considered boring by friends 'cause they go to sleep "early" :P

I have insomnia. :c I do have medicine for sleeping, though, and it helps. I take 2 (sometimes 3) pills a night for it. I take it at 7 sometimes, or sometimes 10. It does work wonders though. I used to be lucky to get three hours of sleep. Now I can sleep normally.

My insomnia used to be pretty extreme. Most times, it could take me four hours to fall asleep and sometimes, I wouldn't fall asleep at all. Then I took the strict "11:30pm to 8:00am" schedule, which was a big pain at first, but eventually tired me enough to actually make the "four hours or never" falling asleep time go down to "30 mins to an hour", which is a huge improvement.

catwithpen
08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I've had many different sleep patterns over the years. There were periods when I was an early bird, up at the crack of dawn every day, and I wasn't trying to, I just naturally woke up at that time. There were other periods when I was a night owl, staying up past midnight and having a hard time waking up in time for school.

Right now, I go to sleep around midnight, and wake up around 9am. No work or school at the moment, so I don't need to be up by a certain time. I don't need it often, but sometimes I take over-the-counter sleeping pills.

When I did have work/school, I had the same sleep schedule all week. I tend to wake up around the same time every day automatically, even if I didn't set an alarm. And if I do stay up late and sleep in, it's hard for me to get back to my regular schedule, so I try to avoid that.

There was also one time in high school, when my schedule went like this: get home from school around 4pm, eat and go directly to sleep. Sleep from 5pm to around midnight, then I wake up and that's when my day starts. I didn't have to leave for school until 8am, so that's around 8 hours to eat, shower, do homework, and play.

My mother didn't like it, but it worked really well for me. My favourite part was that I could sleep an extra hour or two if I needed to, and I wouldn't be late for anything, because there was this huge chunk of time between waking up and being time to go. The downside is that you can't have a social life with this schedule, but I was kind of antisocial at the time, so I didn't care. Also, when everyone else is asleep, you can do pretty much anything you want, provided you don't wake anyone. :sneaky:

Sinjo
08-02-2012, 01:32 PM
I find I'm one of those rare 'morning' people. I don't always like getting out of bed, but should you need me up, I'll be up and awake.

Also the heck is up with setting your alarm for 8:30 to be up for nine and your body going. " Oh, Eight thirty is get up time. Lets wake up half and hour before you need to be up."

Kasune
08-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Also the heck is up with setting your alarm for 8:30 to be up for nine and your body going. " Oh, Eight thirty is get up time. Lets wake up half and hour before you need to be up."

This happens to you, too? I'm not alone!
No matter what time I set my alarm for, I always wake up 15-30 minutes before the alarm and it kinda weirds me out. Maybe because my subconscious/internal clock notices that as I go to bed, as I set my alarm right there and then and expect it to go off when I wake up.

...And when I'm really tired, sometimes I sleep through that alarm. Oops. I am a deeeeeep sleeper.

RadioCatastrophe
08-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Usually sleep at 3am wake around 2pm if not a little earlier (usually on and off around 6am~12pm). I don't need much sleep but I love to nap since I can put myself to sleep and sleep pretty anywhere, lol. I don't have a job anymore, though I could easily wake for it since it forced me up around the same time as school did about 5~6am? Had to be there about 8~9am (can't remember) and left around 3pm depending on my schedule (otherwise it was a 9 to 5). And the only meds I had that made me sleep or drowsy was allergy meds and some ADD/Anti-Depressants which I have ceased taking for a few years now.

obliviousally
08-03-2012, 03:46 AM
When I'm not working, usually 5 or 6AM, sometimes later. I tend to sleep well into the afternoon some days, though sometimes I try to get up around noon so I can go out and bike. Now that I'm working, I sleep from 2 or 3AM until 8:30 or 9AM, get up, work, come home and nap a few hours. I've found that, when I'm working and getting a full night of deep sleep, I wake up feeling like a zombie. So two 4-5 hour naps leaves me feeling more like a human being.

Not really, I am usually doing stuff in the evenings with friends on the weekends, though. It all hinges on if I'm working at the time or not.

Like mentioned above, yeah, my schedule changes for work. As for school, I take online classes, so I don't have to worry about getting up to make it to class.

Nope. Staying up late =/= insomnia. MY sleep schedule tends to just rotate. I'll have the night owl schedule for a few months, then I'll gradually start going to bed later and later in the morning and eventually, my schedule cycles around and I'm waking up at 7 or 8AM.

I quite enjoy sleeping and I don't like waking up before I feel like rolling out of bed. When my natural schedule has me waking up early in the morning, I love it. But if I have to gt up that early otherwise, not so much.

Rarely, but most sleep meds knock me out really fast - especially stuff like NyQuil.

Lilyface
09-29-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm usually in bed around midnight, and tend to sleep until about seven or so in the morning. Sometimes I get these "power naps" though where I lay down to go to bed and wake up an hour or so later fully energized. Other times, I'm exhausted and sleep way longer than I should.

I get insomnia sometimes and the only meds I've taken to aid sleep was 5mg of melatonin and I only ever use it if I go through nearly a week of poor sleep. I've noticed that when I'm going through a bout of depression I tend to have worse sleep- but I've been told that's normal while working through one.

Oly
09-29-2012, 05:31 PM
I sleep too much.
Mainly because i find it REALLY hard to get up lately. I just don't want to move from bed. it's so warm and cozy and my room is chilly since it's a basement. So i usually end up sleeping anywhere from 8-10, even 12 hours sometimes, depending when i go to bed and if i work the next day.

I have a job, i usually get out of bed like 30-10 minutes before I have to leave, even if i set an alarm for an hour or two early >..< But since i walk to work that gets me woken up by the time i get there.

waking up in the mornings is completely wrong for me most of the time and if it was my choice I'd almost always wake up in the afternoon and go to bed in the early morning. that just doesn't work when you work at 10 in the morning in a small town though, aside from needing to be at work, nothing is open overnight.

Bayley
10-01-2012, 04:58 AM
I work nights so I usually sleep around 9am sometimes noon-ish if i can't sleep which can lead to me waking up right before getting ready again for work. Some people say I talk in my sleep but I don't believe them. lol

yandere
10-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I go to sleep around 10 PMish and wake up at 4:30 My work hours start at 6 AM I suffer from insomnia and I've taken meds to go to sleep. I've pretty much figured out a routine now that doesn't involve me downing med's all the time. I also kick in my sleep and talk. My Girlfriend said that once she had a full convo with me about something really dumb.

kaeko
10-02-2012, 06:30 PM
my schedule changes depending on my customers timezones.

i thought this was about sleep talking.

cause if so, my fiancee talks to me whle he is sleeping, he willsay "i love you so much" with the slightest slurr.

haa, but im mostly a nightowl

Syfaro
10-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Between 8PM and 3AM. It really depends on the day, whether I've got anything important the next day at school or anything important going on that weekend.

Depends, sometimes not.

I go to high school. During summer break, I was almost nocturnal. I slept from about 6AM to 2-3PM.

Nope, thankfully. I like being able to sleep when I want to.

Waking up is my least favorite part of the day, especially when it's before at least 10AM.

No, but I am on a medication that could possibly make me tired. Not really sure if it has any effect or not, it doesn't seem to.

Meii
10-13-2012, 12:02 AM

4-5AM, sometimes I don't go to bed at all if I do not have something to put me to sleep.

Nope, it's always 4-5AM.

Currently going to school but only in the afternoon for two days. I might be getting a job at our local hospital but I'll be doing evening/overnight shifts. My sleep pattern only tends to change between cold and warm seasons. Warm seasons I can go to bed late but wake up early (8AM-11AM), but cold seasons I find myself waking up at 1-2PM.

Extreme, due to health issues :/

I can't be an early bird really, as I get extremely sick in the morning, my body kinda goes into 'shock'. So often sleeping in is best.

I have to, I currently take what's called Nature Made SLEEP, which has things like Melatonin, Passion Flower Extract, Lemon Balm extract. It works like a charm and doesn't zombify me like other sleep medications do. Also when I can, weed helps immensely.

Butterscotch
01-10-2013, 03:00 AM
There really isn't a 'normal' time for me. Sometimes I'm just not tired enough to sleep at all, but then I'm dying by early afternoon. Last night I went to bed at 5.30pm and I woke up at 3am.

I sleep during the day at weekends so I can go out at night.

I have classes at random times during the day and thankfully live very close so I just nap whenever I can. During the lead up to deadlines I sleep thru the evening and this is my ideal schedule, I think.

I used to have a huge amount of trouble sleeping, now I have the opposite problem.

I need at least 9 to get through the day and can easily sleep for 16 hours.

No, I don't like having to rely on drugs.

LauryC
01-30-2013, 01:13 PM
My boyfriend has something worst than insomnia, he have this thing were his consious is awake but his body canīt move. Its horrible!, he stars making sounds so I wake him up shaking him.