PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Sews?

SlightlyWinged
09-12-2013, 04:17 AM
Just wondering if anyone else here sews/embroiders/knits/crochets/etc. :geek:

I started sewing a few months ago. I do small plushies, and I'm currently working on a little ghost plush. :giggle: I don't like the sewing machine for some reason, so all my stuff is handsewn.

How long have you guys been sewing, and what are your current projects?

PepperHead
09-13-2013, 04:53 PM
*waves* Oh, me! I sew, but I'd love to learn how to embroider too.

I've hand sewn one plushie, and although I love and want to do plushies, I haven't made much more. I sell hats for conventions, so that's usually what I end up sewing (I do it with a sewing machine though, 1000x faster). Don't get me wrong, I still love doing that, but I want to be able to afford minky and create beautiful plushies like I see so many talented artists create <3

This was not only handsewn, but also my first sewing attempt xD http://fav.me/d51j3cj
It looks pretty sad!

I'm currently working on my first little doll thing for a friend, I'm really happy with how its hair turned out c: But right now all he has on is a fig leaf, so I'll need to make at least one set of clothes before posting him on here xD (I don't like uploading incomplete things)

SlightlyWinged
09-13-2013, 08:56 PM
*waves* Oh, me! I sew, but I'd love to learn how to embroider too.

I've hand sewn one plushie, and although I love and want to do plushies, I haven't made much more. I sell hats for conventions, so that's usually what I end up sewing (I do it with a sewing machine though, 1000x faster). Don't get me wrong, I still love doing that, but I want to be able to afford minky and create beautiful plushies like I see so many talented artists create <3

This was not only handsewn, but also my first sewing attempt xD http://fav.me/d51j3cj
It looks pretty sad!

I'm currently working on my first little doll thing for a friend, I'm really happy with how its hair turned out c: But right now all he has on is a fig leaf, so I'll need to make at least one set of clothes before posting him on here xD (I don't like uploading incomplete things)

I can embroider a little, Like the swirl on the wings here: http://fav.me/d6laffa

And hey, yours is a thousand times better than my first plush: http://fav.me/d6g2tyi

I wish you good luck creating plushies! :3 Even if you can't afford Minky, fleece is soft and affordable.

PepperHead
09-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Oooh, I love those swirls ;v; And your little squirrel is awfully cute! xD Doesn't look that bad~

I've got a lot of fleece, but I can't stand how it pills :c I guess I want to make things a bit more professionally? But I should keep practicing with fleece until I get a lot better xD

SlightlyWinged
09-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Oooh, I love those swirls ;v; And your little squirrel is awfully cute! xD Doesn't look that bad~

I've got a lot of fleece, but I can't stand how it pills :c I guess I want to make things a bit more professionally? But I should keep practicing with fleece until I get a lot better xD

Thank you! ;w;

There's anti-pill fleece, though that's probably more expensive. :< Still, fleece is good for testing patterns.

PepperHead
09-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Yeah, it's a bit more expensive c: Which I don't really mind so long as it's good quality. And I'd have to see it in-store, because I just bought some anti-pill fleece (it was on sale) from Joann.com and man was I disappointed. It was cut terribly (to the point where a few extra inches were shredded off at an angle), and I must say that I'm not at all impressed by the fabric itself. It's very fuzzy in a bad way, and it seems to pull apart way too easily, moreso than normal fleece.

Do you know if fabric.com is any good? I know they have a much better selection.

SlightlyWinged
09-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Yeah, it's a bit more expensive c: Which I don't really mind so long as it's good quality. And I'd have to see it in-store, because I just bought some anti-pill fleece (it was on sale) from Joann.com and man was I disappointed. It was cut terribly (to the point where a few extra inches were shredded off at an angle), and I must say that I'm not at all impressed by the fabric itself. It's very fuzzy in a bad way, and it seems to pull apart way too easily, moreso than normal fleece.

Do you know if fabric.com is any good? I know they have a much better selection.

Sorry, I wouldn't know. :( I've always gone to Joann's to buy fabric (not online, at the store itself) so I've never had that problem.

PepperHead
09-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Aw that's okay! I've never had any problems in-store except for a lack of fabrics. So maybe I'll just stick to in-store purchases xD I was able to make do with what I ordered, so I just learned a lesson I guess!

What types of fabrics have you used?

SlightlyWinged
09-17-2013, 01:26 AM
Aw that's okay! I've never had any problems in-store except for a lack of fabrics. So maybe I'll just stick to in-store purchases xD I was able to make do with what I ordered, so I just learned a lesson I guess!

What types of fabrics have you used?

Mostly fleece, felt, and a little faux fabric. Wow that's a lot of Fs. o_o I also have some white ultra cuddle/minky I'm going to make into little Terriermon plushies. <3

Ouiji
09-17-2013, 02:23 PM
I'd like to learn, where did you start?

SlightlyWinged
09-18-2013, 02:32 AM
I'd like to learn, where did you start?

It depends on what you want to make, but research is always good. If you don't have a sewing machine, look up different types of hand stitches. Find out what fabrics are best for what you're making.

I started out because I wanted to make my own custom toys. I researched and found out how to make a pattern, how to sew it together, turning the little pieces inside out, etc. While the result wasn't the best thing, I was happy with it for my first result, and I think it's because of all the tutorials and studying I did. :)

This was the first thing I made BTW: http://fav.me/d6g2tyi

If you end up liking sewing, DO invest in a machine. As much as I hate sewing on the thing, it does make it go about 100 times faster. I've used it a couple times to make a drawstring bag and a hoodie. The first took me less than an hour to do, the second two days. Without a machine it probably would have been a couple hours for the bag and a week for the hoodie.

Bri Mercedes
09-25-2013, 04:01 PM
I recently moved and rediscovered my old sewing kit and had a sudden urge to sew tiny plush birds. I now know what everyone in my family is getting for Christmas. It's actually pretty fun. My sewing skills are otherwise usually spent on costumes and repairing clothes.

Shagpoke
09-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Sewing is all that I do! I wish I was kidding xD

I went to university for costuming for film and theatre, so that's what I do now. I want to transition into less film work and more making fursuits on commission, so we'll see how it goes. I find internet research goes a long way, as well as just good old practice. But if anyone wants any help or has any specific questions about anything, I'd be glad to help!

autogatos
12-15-2013, 02:30 AM
I...sort of sew? And by that I mean I have barely done any sewing and am terrible at it.

I collect miniature teddy bears, and decided to try my hand at making my own, so I've done a little bit here and there. My first attempt was a total disaster. My second one has been sitting unfinished for a while, but is coming out better thankfully! It's not something I see myself actively doing a lot, but it's a fun side project to pick up now and then. :)

Levi
12-15-2013, 10:10 AM
I am able to sew, although I don't do very much and don't have the skill others likely have (this comes from not doing very much). My main project in recent history was when I decided to build a costume designed around my character, merely to see what I was able to do. I don't have a sewing machine, so every stitch was by hand.

At the moment I'm looking for patterns for a costume to go over my... well... costume I suppose. Once I find one close to what I like that I can modify further, then I'll get to it some weekend.