PDA

View Full Version : Tablet PC's; Do you have one? What do you, or do you not, like about them?

Razz
07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
I think they're kinda nifty myself. I enjoy my Asus TF101 quite well. I love to just plug it into my TV and browse through FA or just watch Youtube on my lazy days when I don't feel the need to get out of bed. <w>

So, what do you fella's like/dislike about tablets? If you own one, post what model/brand you have! :x3:

oneandonly
07-31-2012, 04:20 PM
I have the same model as you. Very nice for playing GTA III, watching HD videos, and surfing the web. I had a run in a couple times with a bad screen connection that ultimately ended up with it being sent back to Asus. Even though it was out of warranty, they still repaired it (probably accidentally) free of charge. Couldn't be happier with the tablet now.

Sinjo
07-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Eh, I had a convertible laptop once. Never again.

Razz
07-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Oh wow, they can play GTA III? Never knew that :O.

Tiger
07-31-2012, 04:37 PM
I have an Acer Iconia A500, and I love it. I use it almost daily and I take it with me to friends' houses all the time. The only two probs I have with it are 1) the charger cord is insanely short and 2) It sometimes has issues loading videos. Other than that, it's awesome. And my mom is getting the Nexus 7 soon so I'm excited to see what that is like.

Razz
07-31-2012, 04:59 PM
I have an Acer Iconia A500, and I love it. I use it almost daily and I take it with me to friends' houses all the time. The only two probs I have with it are 1) the charger cord is insanely short and 2) It sometimes has issues loading videos. Other than that, it's awesome. And my mom is getting the Nexus 7 soon so I'm excited to see what that is like.

Ooooh. Very nice XD I like the Asus TF models myself because of that fantastic dock. And The TF models seem to share the issues with videos loading sometimes. As with the short cord > _>; I had to buy a longer one XD

Saiko
07-31-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't have one yet, but I plan on getting a Nexus 7 as soon as they're available again. xD

Scratch that. Placed ma order just now. :>

zomiee
08-05-2012, 06:29 AM
I have an HP touchsmart TM2T and I LOVE IT!
It has pressure sensitivity better than a Wacom Bamboo but not as good as the Intuos. It works great though and it has plenty of RAM for watching movies and playing games and running photoshop and SAI and procaster and iTunes and Firefox and utorrent all at once, which I find amazing. I also really enjoy being able to see what I'm drawing as I'm drawing it. I had a wacom bamboo tablet before but it was really difficult to use, imo.

BudgieBin
08-05-2012, 08:43 AM
I have an older model, the Compaq TC1100. I upgraded to 1.5 gb of ram (I haven't been able to get a second upgrade for a full 2 gb) and installed windows 7. Most if not all of the functionality is kept, and it may be my imagination but it also runs nicer. Since it doesn't really have a special graphics card I am barred from playing many games (but that's OK as I either emulate or play older titles) but for art, light web browsing and media it's incredibly useful. My actual tablet hasn't seen use for about a year now. :3

ThisIsLackLuster
08-06-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm thinking of getting an ASUS eeepc 121B when I start work in the cities for the long train rides home. It's got some fairly decent specs for a x86 tablet pc and the wacom functionality for the screen isn't too terrible at all.

AdventureCat
08-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Heyo!

I have a super old Fujitsu T4020 convertible, and I have mixed feelings about whether it makes a good drawing tool. The screen itself is of course, very intuitive and drawing was easy! But it was lacking in computing power and had a few problems that made it hard to draw anything super serious on it. My screen's color was rather poorly calibrated and it constantly had a yellowish tint which made all my drawings appear blueish on other computers. The built-in Wacom penabled tablet also didn't seem to do very well when I'm using a drawing program with the canvas zoomed out, making the lines jagged and unusable. Other than these problems I really like being able to draw right on the screen.

Kazekai
08-26-2012, 08:14 PM
I have a kindle fire, I don't use it much.

The only way I'd consider buying any other tablet device is if it worked like a digital, portable sketchpad with pressure sensing and the like. And even then, I probably would never pay over 100 for one.

oneandonly
08-26-2012, 09:36 PM
I probably would never pay over 100 for one.

Then you will probably never buy a portable sketchpad then. :3

Kazekai
08-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Then you will probably never buy a portable sketchpad then. :3

You used "then" twice without needing to. Also, there is such a thing as sales and used software.

obliviousally
08-28-2012, 04:50 PM
I just bought (as in last night, using it to type this post) a Nexus 7 (Google/Asus). I'm quite loving it. I was looking for something small and lightweight to lug with me to campus for work and school that I would still be able to use somewhat like a laptop. I'm able to access my online course materials, screw around on the internet, and all that fun stuff. It means I don't have to carry ,y whole laptop setup during the winter and its the perfect size.

I would like to find some decent skeching programs for it, however.

oneandonly
08-28-2012, 07:51 PM
You used "then" twice without needing to. Also, there is such a thing as sales and used software.

Whoops lol. I got off work when I posted it and I was exhausted. Yeah, I was just saying they would probably be pretty expensive, even used.

Kazekai
08-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Whoops lol. I got off work when I posted it and I was exhausted. Yeah, I was just saying they would probably be pretty expensive, even used.

I tend to wait for things to drop in price, even if it takes a year or two - and electronics always drop in price, unless it's something like a desktop PC.

darkdoomer
10-08-2012, 02:46 PM
i got a Toshiba Tecra M7 http://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/boards/g/img/0270/34/1345471330883.jpg
usage? Photoshop essentially, mspaint, and more rarely /oek/akis.
i wonder how / wonder why isn't the digitizer or stylus not a standard input device on every single laptop built since 2003... 'cause, it's perfect.

edit: i was originally looking for a Thinkpad X61 tablet with a 1400x1050 panel; but these are ... rare. falling with a 1024x768 res would've been frustrataging at best. :cautious: preffered to go with the tosh.

Bitcoon
10-08-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm waiting on Microsoft's Surface tablet, myself. It looks sleek and sexy, and the idea of having that awesome little tablet with all its power (I'm talking about the one with the pen stylus and full Windows 8, not the tablet one. Ugh) to draw and do all my computing on anywhere, it just sounds amazing. I have a nice laptop but even at 11" it's a pain to carry around and use "anywhere". A tablet, though, I can get into that.

MukiHyena
10-19-2012, 08:22 PM
I own the HP TX2510US. My roomie picked it up for a little over 400.

http://images02.olx.com.ec/ui/2/71/89/23196289_1.jpg

It comes stock with Vista but we upgraded it to 7. It's pretty nice - screen's a tad low res, but it's powerful enough to run games pretty well. I think it could run COD4 on low decently.

The digitizer is pretty nice. Wacom tech, pretty smooth lines. It's like a portable cintiq for half the cost.. too bad it's tied to hardware that will eventually be outdated.

This thing's kind of relevant - it's a cintiq alternative that I picked up. 300 bucks on Amazon. I do most of my work on it. Yiynova DP10

http://technicalillustrators.org/files/2012/04/yiynova-dp10.jpeg

Kisumi
10-21-2012, 03:58 PM
I have a really old hp tc4200 back when tablet laptop was a laptop hehe and i love it to this day, i draw on it, browse and do everything, I have an Ipad 3rd gen and i just find its more restrictive than an actual laptop in terms of its browsing capablities and also the drawing side of it

Xperia Husky
10-30-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm going to sound out of place and say I own a iPad, I mean I still have a laptop as well as my desktop but it's handy for me, I do alot of traveling so it makes it easy to kill time on the bus, Whether it be browsing the internet or watching tv programs on it.

Shift
10-31-2012, 06:14 PM
I personally have tried an Asus EEE Slate EP121. I must say, the experience was quite lovely. The inclusion of an active digitizer, and the Wacom technology inside of the screen makes for a pleasant drawing experience. It's quite a shame I do not actually own it. I would love it as an alternative to the (majorly overpriced) Cintiq. Same technology, without needing a computer to connect it to, It is the computer. Gosh I'd love to get my hands on one of those again.

Thistle
11-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I have a Toshiba Thrive and a Nexus 7 and absolutely love them both. I'm busy throughout the day, so it's easier for me to carry the Nexus around for contact purposes (the gorgeous display doesn't hurt). The Thrive's nice for when I'm sitting on the couch and don't want to balance my huge laptop on something.