PDA

View Full Version : Do you take movie reveiws seriously?

Tigercougar
07-27-2013, 05:08 PM
I was having fun the other night watching old Siskel and Ebert reviews on Youtube, and it got me to thinking: when I was younger I didn't care what critics had to say about movies, but now I find that if a film gets a low score on Rotten Tomatoes, that's a factor into whether I'll go to the theater to see it or not. I daresay that film reviews have saved me from hours of boredom or irritation many times over now. So, are film reviews ever a factor for you in regards to watching a movie or not?

Ibuuyk
07-27-2013, 05:50 PM
No 'cause most of the time, I take guilty pleasure in watching terrible movies and laughing about 'em.

Karmarsi
07-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Honestly, I like to peek at them to see opinions, but I don't tend to take them seriously. What may be an amazing movie to a reviewer may be terrible to another, and vice versa. It's really only a curiosity thing for me!

Tiger
07-31-2013, 02:27 PM
I only ever read the reviews after the movie. I like to make my own opinion of the movie before I read anything about them. Sometimes I am happy with the reviews, sometimes I just don't get where people are coming from. :| Generally, the only time I'd hesitate to see a movie because of someone else's thoughts is if it was a friend of mine that had seen it.

Term
07-31-2013, 05:46 PM
There's a couple of reviewers I hold a little higher in regards to who I trust when it comes to movies. The Escapist's MovieBob is probably my favorite since the dude tends to have similar taste in certain movies that I do, and even when I disagree with him I respect his opinion.

Sometimes you just gotta find someone who appears to have your taste. Sure you won't agree with them 100%, but for the most part they don't tend to steer you wrong.

Lucy Bones
08-01-2013, 05:44 PM
I take them as personal opinions.

Which is, I dunno, how it should be taken? Because that's all it is.

Anybody who takes reviews too seriously just baffles my brain.

Frank LeRenard
08-02-2013, 08:47 AM
I only take them seriously from reviewers whose opinion I've come to respect, and then I tend only to read/watch them if I'm debating whether or not to go see the movie in question. If I have a strong desire to see a movie, yeah, I'd rather watch it without the review tainting my perception of it, but if I'm on the fence I'd like to have some outside opinion as to whether or not I should spend my $8 on the ticket. The problem comes when I'm on the fence, but then I hear horribly conflicting reviews about the movie, so I still don't know whether I should see it, but that's obviously just a result of the fact that movie reviewing is a subjective business.

Tigercougar
08-02-2013, 07:05 PM
I guess here's a good system for deciding on those on-the-fencers: whether it got a fresh or rotten on RottenTomatoes. :p

Lucy Bones
08-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Usually if I'm interested in a movie I just ask my friends about what they thought of it.

CappySeagoat
08-06-2013, 05:07 AM
im honestly willing to try any movie that looks appealing to me! sometimes ill look it up and see what reviewers say, but unless its a really bad review i usually tend to ignore it and judge for myself

the best way i use reviews though is to find out what to expect, mostly! rotten tomatoes and even commen sense media (a parental check-out site) are good places to find out if something i had interest in might be a bit, er, unsavory

FlynnCoyote
08-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Nope, they can be mildly amusing but I don't hold anybody else's opinions higher than my own in regards to entertainment media. Frankly I don't see a point to them. If I don't like a movie or tv show I just make a point not to view it a second time. :3

sassySloth
01-07-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm kind of a movie nerd so I love looking at movie reviews. Hearing people talk about the art of film is fascinating. We all watch movies, but there's so muich interesting trivia behind the scenes. Like how certain camera angles will naturally make the viewer respond a certain way. Or when directors insert symbolism you never noticed.

Anyway, I like reviews because I like people who have a passion for movies.

Maolfunction
01-07-2014, 08:25 PM
I use Rotten Tomatoes as a gauge when I want to know if a film is worth a ticket at a theater. But sometimes I make that call on my own regardless if what I hear about a film is interesting enough.

Like, I just watched the Wolf of Wall Street yesterday without checking reviews because I'm a big DiCaprio and Scorsese fan. I was thoroughly enjoyed by it.

Signy
01-07-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm generally ambivalent about movie reviews. Just because a movie gets a bad review doesn't mean that it's not worth watching - sometimes terrible movies can be really fun. Many of the movies with themes and subjects that interest don't appeal to the tastes of predominant film reviewers. Many of these themes end up being poorly portrayed, but even if the film doesn't work out well, I can find something of value in it.

If I do read a review, it's generally for a movie I absolutely adored because it's great to see that something I thought was especially wonderful receive proper validation. Often, my tastes are incongruous with cinephiles and the popular opinion about a film I liked proves it.

Saga
01-07-2014, 09:04 PM
No, because people usually only write reviews when they didnt like it, if they're satisfied (but not amazed) they'll usually be content with it and not care about a review. Way I see it, reviews are a way for people to bitch about the movie because their favorite character died or whatever "insert fwp here" gripe.

Bornes
Reviews only factor into it if I am considering seeing the movie in theaters but am on the fence about it. I don't value real critics opinions, but rather audience response (Which is why rotten tomatoes is such a good site - it counts view response AND critics).

If I'm pretty certain I'll dislike the movie but I want to watch anyway, I download it. If I'm on the fence but all the reviews are good, I'll go the theater. But sometimes, I just really want to see something in the theater so I don't consider reviews even if it's supposedly bad (Kick Ass 2 was one of those. HAD to see it in the theater).

So I guess what it amounts to is money. I use reviews to save money. But in terms of actually watching a movie or not, it doesn't really factor in.

Willow
Not really. I read them sometimes after watching the movie just to see if I agree with them or not but I hardly ever beforehand. Unless I just so happen to read one.

piņardilla
01-08-2014, 07:22 AM
I take Rotten Tomatoes into consideration before I decide to see something, but I don't necessarily take their rating at face value. If something that seems interesting in the trailer gets an awful rating, I may reconsider seeing it, and something that I expected to be made poorly getting rated fresh might make me give it a chance after all. I also generally read at least one positive and one negative review to see what specifically they liked and didn't like about it. But if a movie's premise is interesting enough to me, I may end up seeing it regardless even if it has a mediocre rating.

sassySloth
01-08-2014, 01:57 PM
No, because people usually only write reviews when they didnt like it, if they're satisfied (but not amazed) they'll usually be content with it and not care about a review. Way I see it, reviews are a way for people to bitch about the movie because their favorite character died or whatever "insert fwp here" gripe.Orrrr they are a way for people to talk about and critique the art of film making. The best reviews are those by people who are super passionate about movies. They watch the good and the bad and everything in between.

SirCoffeecup
01-08-2014, 02:21 PM
No. I read what they say about the technical aspects and the plot synopsis.
The only time so far I've used them to determine if I'd watch something is the new movie with Depp in it and he was an indian or something. Pretty recent

Zeitzbach
01-08-2014, 02:36 PM
If it's those random funny review like the Kingdom of Fighter movie review from a random blog with some picture then yeah.

If it's those "OMFG THE STORY WAS SO HEARTBREAKING 10/10" then no fk it.

Hewge
01-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Not really.

TealMoon
01-08-2014, 05:43 PM
I only watch/read reviews to movies I wasn't gonna watch anyway.

Aakosir
01-08-2014, 07:38 PM
No. It's pretty goofy to worry about what others think of a certain movie, whether you liked it or not. I LOVE Avatar, but I know a lot of people, including my boyfriend, despise it. He loves movies that I could care less about. It's just not something that is important to me. But I have to say it irritates me when I see a blatant troll. I wish those "reviews" would just be deleted.

Littlerock
01-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Ever since I ran across a review that did nothing but unironically rave about Underworld 5, I have trusted no one.

Tica
01-10-2014, 08:24 PM
I take movie reviews seriously for the same reason as sassySloth. I want to read about the artistry of the movie, and (especially since I am a writer) have someone critique plot and characterization in a thoughtful way.

By reviews I mean serious reviews from pros or from people whose opinions I've come to trust. I read a lot of feminist movie reviews, so that I can either 1) mentally prepare myself to see a movie that is less than ideal from a feminist POV, or 2) skip seeing a movie I might otherwise see because I've hit my "movies about dudes and maybe one girl but mostly dudes" quota for the month.

I don't take movie ratings seriously at all. When you have the whole mass of humanity weighing in on something, I'm equally likely to disagree with them as I am to agree with them, so that doesn't help me very much. ^^;

Lucy Bones
01-11-2014, 12:04 AM
I take them as personal opinion and nothing more, really. I can never use a review to personally say if a game/movie/brothel is good or bad. I have to play/see/fuck it myself. :B