PDA

View Full Version : Streaming suggestion: Top of page alerts.

redregon
04-18-2013, 04:21 PM
So... I really like how the emphasis on community and art is an apparent driving force here.

Though, i would like to suggest a couple ways to really make the streaming option much more refined.

see, if there was a little spot at the top of the page with alerts for those you watch so that when they announce that they're streaming, it'll be right there at the top. Kinda like how FA handles their site-announcements, something like that.

I think a couple ways to increase it's flexibility could be to:
1. allow you to dismiss these alerts when they pop up (giving users the means to close that alert at the top of the screen because let's face it, as much as we might love watching some artists stream, we may not be in the right mood to watch.)
2. have those alerts be removed once the artist tells the Weasyl system that they've stopped streaming (this would need to have some sort of encouragement given to the artists to make sure that these alerts aren't just sitting there... i would think a button or drop-down or something like that could help address it.) You could pair that up with the current system also so that those announcements in your feed are also automatically removed when the artist tells the Weasyl system that they have stopped streaming.

I think that something like that could really get a lot more traffic to the streaming sites since i will admit that sometimes i don't always check the notifications and when i see an artist i'm in the mood to watch their process announce that they're streaming, most times it's a couple days old.

I know that suggestions aren't a guarantee of them being implemented but so far i've seen so much more emphasis on making this site as awesome as it can be via the feedback from it's users and i'd be remiss if i didn't give my own suggestions. I don't expect y'all to just drop everything and implement it, but if you do eventually wish to add something like this to the code, you can bet i'd be more than appreciative!

Thank you for your time and best wishes! Loving my Weasyl experience so far, y'all are doing great things so please don't stop the awesome!

Fay V
04-19-2013, 01:23 PM
I am curious, did you want these on top of our current system?

Currently when an artist is streaming a notification will be sent to your message center, under notifications. There will also be a green light by the name on the artist's page. when the artist is done streaming the notification will automatically disappear from the message center.

It is not announcements from the front page but it is widely available to watchers and can be removed if you don't want it in your notification messages.