PDA

View Full Version : S-1155 processor needed, but which one :(

Zikul
03-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Wrote about this on deviantArt already, but I figured I'd put it here too, because I need help quick:

I've bought this http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4329#sp motherboard, since the one I had is no more.

Unfortunately the cpu isn't compatible (to my understanding - I have a socket-1156 cpu from my broken motherboard which, I have read, is completely different from the 1155) so I need a new one.

This is what the specifications on the site has to say about cpu:

" 1. Support for Intel® Core™ i7 processors/Intel® Core™ i5 processors/ Intel® Core™ i3 processors/Intel® Pentium® processors/Intel® Celeron® processors in the LGA1155 package
2. L3 cache varies with CPU "

For instance, would
INTEL PENTIUM DUAL CORE G870 3.1GHZ 3MB S-1155

or
INTEL PENTIUM DUAL CORE G860 3.0GHZ 3MB S-1155

work with this motherboard?

What does the G860 mean in the above names? What is LGA1155 and how do I tell if the cpu has that sort of thing?

For instance, I want to be able to play simcity, and EA has this to say this about cpu:

"Intel players will need, minimally, a 2.0 GHz Core2Duo, while our AMD players will need at least an Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+."

I fall under Intel, I believe, so are the two processors I listed above Core2Duo? They say 3.0GHZ respectively 3.1GHZ and since those are both above 2, I am assuming this means they qualify in regards of ghz?

Anyone who can help me get my system up and running again will get a free commission or something (because that's what I'll have to do after this. Not going to ramble on about how much this is going to cost me in relation to my economy...):cry:

Dark
03-27-2013, 02:03 PM
In most cases, a game won't care about the socket type of your mobo, just if you have the required hardware (or better). As long as you have a CPU released after the Core 2 Duo, it should "just work".

If you're hard-set on a new CPU for LGA1155, go after a Sandy or Ivy Bridge and not a Core 2 Duo. Something like an i5-2500. For reference, I have an i7-2600, which runs on LGA1155, whereas the best i7 you can get on 1156 is an i7-9xx.

Zikul
03-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Would the INTEL CORE I3 3220 3.30GHZ 3MB S-1155 IVY CPU work witht he motherboard?

:( I'm so confused

Edit:
I placed an order on a cpu, and well... yeah... I'm sort of kinda scared

AquaVixen
03-28-2013, 12:24 AM
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4329

This is the supported cpu list for your motherboard. Any processor on this list will work with your motherboard. Any processor -NOT- on this list, will not work with your motherboard. It's that simple. :)

By the way, I clicked on the link in your first post, then "Support & Downloads" tab -> Then "CPU Support List", red text that's underlined.

The Core I3 3220 3.30 Ghz is listed as a supported processor for your system. I would check closely on the page you ordered it from and see if it lists the cpu stepping code and TDP wattage number and match that up with the supported list if you want to be 100% sure, but it should work anyway, according to the published cpu list by Gigabyte.