PDA

View Full Version : Collaborations

Dipper
03-27-2013, 04:24 AM
Presently, we have Favorites and Collections.

Favorites are basically a list of submissions that you really like.

Collections are a list of submissions that I had some part in creating, usually as a patron.

But what of submissions where more than one person worked on it? Yes, they could all submit the same image, but there are a couple of drawbacks to that:

1) It's extra space taken up on the site for duplicate submissions.
2) Comments and favorites on one do not get put on the other.

What would be nice is a thing called a collaboration. It is on a submission by submission basis. The original uploader allows others to claim an equal share of the file (much like collections) but they don't get put in a different folder, they remain the the same gallery/folder/subfolder it was submitted to. Those who are marked as collaborators can then put the file in their own gallery/folder/subfolder. A comment on it or a favorite of it becomes a comment or a favorite for all collaborators.

foxboyprower
04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Sounds good, but perhaps it could just be an alteration on the collections system. Sounds a bit confusing however.

Mayhem
04-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I love the idea of having a seperate place or gallery for collabs. I know a ton of straits that coolant and it would be so much better to have a way to show that off. And BOTH artist get equal credit favs and fame for thier combined effort

Dipper
04-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Sounds good, but perhaps it could just be an alteration on the collections system. Sounds a bit confusing however.

Well, it might require an entire rewrite of the system. Simplest way to do it I can see is to have all submissions from all users in a huge pool. Each submission would be tagged with they type of submission (artwork, audio, video, writing), one or more subcategories (sketch, portrait, doodle / music, podcast, audio drama / flash, youtube, vimeo / essay, poetry, story / etc.), one or more creator, one or more collector, submission date, additional tags, etc. The gallery folders would contain simply a list of pointers, either to submissions in the pool or to other folders. You could then edit the list however you like. Since there is more than one creator tagged, it can go on all those lists.

Now, the listmaker would need to have safeguards put in to prevent someone from hacking their own list to allow them to list submissions they were not collaborators on in their gallery. It would also ease the list making process by having optional filters on folders, so, say I wanted all of my audio work, which I used to list in the top of my gallery to be put in a subfolder, I could simply grab everything, tell it to move it to audio, and it would go through each of them and say, (folder - not moved / artwork - not moved / audio - moved to subfolder / audio - moved to subfolder / audio -moved to subfolder / artwork - not moved). This method would ALSO allow submissions to be listed in custom order.

Also necessary would be an occasional sweep of the submission pool, liooking for submissions without links to folders. Such files would go in a lost and found folder for each user.