PDA

View Full Version : Vent: Bell Canada's penchant for being dicks

Dark
03-20-2013, 02:23 AM
http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Promotions/Unlimited-Internet

"Current as of January 28, 2013. Available to new and existing residential customers in Québec and Ontario, where access and technology permit. Excluding Bell Mobility devices, Turbo Hubs and Turbo sticks."

What a fucking slap in the face. Clearly it isn't a network congestion problem otherwise they wouldn't be able to offer this to fixed suburban broadband subscribers, as both services are connected to essentially the same backbone, and if it were the spectrum "last mile" infrastructure that's congested then the ~2 million Canadians who use Bell for cell service would have experienced slowdown on the 4G network by this point, but that's not the case as I reliably get expected HSPA+ (we don't have LTE service out here) speeds (3.5-8 Mbps symmetric). What gives? Other than sheer greed and having the balls to deny rural Hub users unlimited data, throttle them to all Hell so they drop packets and artificially transfer more data and enforce overlimit fees of $15 per gigabyte with, as far as I can tell, no ceiling (the former alone is $13 more at least than what people in town pay in overage per GB), doesn't hiding that in both the fine print and a handy-dandy AJAX-powered spoiler constitute some form of violation?

Rakuen Growlithe
03-24-2013, 03:02 AM
So what is your cap at the moment? Certain caps are at least decent for browsing, even if not for stupid games that think all computers magically come with internet rather than it being an extra. Also your speeds are around 10X faster than mine at lowest (although I now have uncapped) so you're definitely not worst off.

Dark
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
The cap is a measly 15GB. Not nearly enough for me since I'm a rather heavy gamer. I shouldn't have to get my dad to download my Steam games for me.

(No, none of the games I play are SimCity, Diablo 3 or Ubisoft-related. Think games like Unreal Tournament 3, Metro, etc..)

Rakuen Growlithe
03-25-2013, 11:16 AM
That's almost twice the largest cap I ever had (8gb).

In any case now someone's gone and damaged the Seacom cable so my speed is probably going to suffer even more than normal. The Seacom cable is a fibre optic cable in the Atlantic which I believe links most of Africa to Europe. There is a land cable too which is now being used but it's not able to handle the amount of traffic.

Dark
03-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Come home to find my Internet connection isn't even fucking working. No warning whatsoever. Bell, if your base price for this is $90/mo, it better fucking work.