PDA

View Full Version : Pet Keeping

Sea Mink
03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
So, us all being furries, I'm going to go ahead and assume I'm not the only one with pets. Keeping them, caring for them, possibly even breeding them - It's a lot of work and the constant responsibility of caring for a pet certainly has an impact on lifestyle.

I, personally, enjoy keeping snakes and hermit crabs. Currently I have two of each, and will be posting pictures shortly.

My hermits are your average Purple Pincher variety [normally seen in pet stores], and I keep them in a heated/misted ten gallon tank with mesh lid and coconut fiber bedding. They've got two water dishes, some fake vegetation, and a decent hunk of wood to climb around on. They're about four years old now.

My snakes are more recent additions. My female, two-going-on-three year old sunrise [morph] rat snake is named Sorcha. I'm told she was the product of a great plains rat snake and a black rat snake, and that she is also het for albino. She's about three feet long, and loves to drape herself over the decorations in her twenty gallon tank.

My male, eight year old amel [Morph] corn snake is brand new to the family. I found him and his twenty gallon set up on craigslist for free! How lucky, right?! However, is tank was in /terrible/ condition. There were bugs, the water dish and hide were much too small, and he had nothing at all to exercise and explore. As a result, he's slightly overweight, so I'm working on that. His tank has been cleaned [it was clear that it had been cleaned in months], and I've added in a large hide and water dish, as well as some fake vegetation and soon heavy-grade cardboard tubing for more exercise. He's a bit longer than my rat.

The finer details of taking care of any specific animal type could probably fill up forum thread after forum thread, however I feel that a nice, general blanket topic should suffice for a non-animal specific site. So, please! I love pets. I love seeing pictures of animals, habitat set ups, favorite chew toys - What have you! Talk about whatever it is you currently, or in the future wish to, own. Also, feel free to ask questions about pet care, nothing like learning little tricks and tips from other animal-enthusiasts.

I suppose, to kick things off a bit more and get a discussion going, I'll pose a few questions:
What type[s] of pet do you have? Their name[s]?

Also, my new male corn snake hasn't got a name. The previous owner never mentioned one, and I've only have him for a few days and have not thought of one yet. How about you all help?

Finally, a tip for snake/reptile owners: Do not always shop for your water dishes/hides in the "Reptile" section of most large pet retail stores. The prices are obnoxious for what you're getting. Why spend $30 on a fancy fake rock reptile soak/water dish when you can slip on over to the dog bowl section and pick from a variety of plastic, porcelain, and metal dishes at a fraction of the cost? Also, check out the small mammal/rodent hides instead of, again, the over priced fake rock hides. I picked up a large wooden rodent hide for around $8 as opposed to the $16 [on sale] hide in the reptile section.
However, make sure to still shop safely with your reptile in mind. Do not buy pine or cedar bedding, even if it's cheaper, it gives off fumes that may cause respiratory issues for your animal. I've found that I like aspen the best so far.

Nightpaws
03-18-2013, 06:37 PM
So, us all being furries, I'm going to go ahead and assume I'm not the only one with pets. Keeping them, caring for them, possibly even breeding them - It's a lot of work and the constant responsibility of caring for a pet certainly has an impact on lifestyle.

I suppose, to kick things off a bit more and get a discussion going, I'll pose a few questions:
What type[s] of pet do you have? Their name[s]?

I've got a little fluffy cat of some sort who's currently in my bad books for ripping up the carpet. :mad: I won't post her name because knowing me I'll use it for a password reset or something equally daft. :P

(We're not all furries here btw, This isn't a furry exclusive site, and there's loads of non-furs here too!)

Aakosir
03-19-2013, 08:59 AM
I currently have a cat, two goldfish, two cory catfish, a plecostomus and two neon barbs. My poor catfish are currently sick with ick and I've been treating them for almost two weeks now! I get it almost gone then forget to treat the very next day and it's back with a vengeance! The smaller one is suffering worse than the other. Luckily none of my others have gotten it, but I'm still having a hard time getting rid of it completely. And I am leery of over treating them. But other than this all of my fish have been very healthy and vibrant.

My cat is a little upset right now because I am fostering a dog. I've no clue what type he is, but I'm thinking a collie shepherd mix. I've named him Kodi, the shelter called him Sebastian. He is extremely good with my two children. I have no worries with him around them, but he does have food and toy possession issues so he's not allowed any toys in the house and I feed him outside so I can work with him safely. He also has a lot of pent up energy, which is pretty natural for shelter dogs, but since he does not know how to play fetch (he steals the ball and runs away, growling if you reach to take it) it's been hard to get him the proper exercise. Once I'm able to we will be going on weekly runs. He absolutely loved it our first time. We also need to work on socializing him. He is very excitable when meeting other animals, but has no intention of harming them. Here we have two other dogs and he does great with them, just tries to play every now and then, which they have no interest in.

He's really a great dog. He just needs a little bit of work. In one day he has learned his name and to come. I see a lot of potential.

Haida
10-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Oh boy, I have a lot of animal friends. My true pets are a dog (5yo boy Rottie mix named Loki), a tabby cat (9yo boy named Ergo), a little grey mix kitty (3yo girl named Erie) and a guinea piggy (2 yo girl named Cora). I have had them all since they were weaned, except for Cora (whom my coworker rescued from his roomate and gave her to me).

My other animal bros are: A flock of Easter Egger chickens, Rhode Island Red chickens, Muscovy ducks (I don't like them, they are jerks!), a goat, a llama, several bunnies and my best animal friends are a flock of heritage turkeys. They're so awesome. They're a lot like... hmm... well, they're like dogs, but they love to show off like betta fish! I would consider my breeding pairs of turks to be pets, but the rest are for Christmas and Thanksgiving (so sad... but so delicious).

I hope more people post, I love hearing about pets!

autogatos
12-15-2013, 02:46 AM
I have a dog (pomeranian) named Tyrion (after the Game of Thrones character) and two siamese-mixes (a lynx-point and torbie-point) named Gato and Beepo.

I'm also into fishkeeping. In the past I've typically had tropical fish (guppies and gouramis mostly, also had a betta tank for a while) but just recently started up a goldfish tank. Just one little calico fantail at the moment, but I am hoping to get a buddy for him soon. I'm enjoying goldfish more than any previous fish and I'd absolutely love to do a massive (like 75g) tank at some point in the future, since my current 30g can only comfortably house 2 adult goldfish.

Ibuuyk
12-15-2013, 06:45 AM
I've always had cats since I was a kid, but now I've had a ferret named Wesley for almost a year now and I've gotta admit I like ferrets more than cats.

Levi
12-15-2013, 10:02 AM
I have a mutt of rather uncertain background who's been sharing my home for the past two years. He looks as though he comes from the more hyper breeds, but he's always been laid back and somewhat lazy. (This works well for apartment life.) His name is Virgil.

At the moment, he is the only one. I don't have room for another here, and he doesn't always enjoy the company of other animals.

Rico
12-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Two cats (Juniper and Sycamore), 6 snakes (Charmander & Gyrados are corn snakes, Flaffy is a ball python, Froakie and Chespin are western hognose snakes, and Rare Candy is a Pueblan milk snake), a crested gecko named Fennekin, 2 hamsters (Lenin and Stalin).

Once I get a bigger place and a more steady income, I'm wanting to start snake breeding projects and get a few more reptiles. Probably a blue tongued skink, dumeril's boa, and a blood python along with whatever breeding stock I get. I don't want to own rodents any more though, they break my heart with their tiny lifespans.

asdrubael
12-17-2013, 09:29 PM
The last of our animals recently passed away a few months ago, but my husband and myself are looking into getting a puppy after this next spring semester! c: We're looking into getting a Great Pyrenees because we love larger breeds, and personally, I could use a guarding working dog. We won't really know more until we're closer to being able to actually take care of a dog, but I'm super excited to have a companion again.

Xolani
12-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Some of my pets:

http://i.imgur.com/A4pLMhR.jpg

Rico
12-26-2013, 03:24 AM
What cuties! I wanted a colony a while back until I found out how allergic I was. >_<

QT Melon
01-01-2014, 02:21 PM
My pets are less interesting. I keep hamsters. I often adopt older ones from stores because they often are kept in poor conditions since they need to be separated at a certain age to prevent fights, and are often sold for snake food.

This is Cookie, a female adopt because she had babies so the owner sold her and her children to the store. I am not sure why she was interested in my Cintiq, but her butt fluff is cute all the same.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/e44db0a37c30cfcd11b6ee85b4de0406/tumblr_my3aameQgx1rtkyl9o1_500.jpg

Krespo
01-01-2014, 02:25 PM
As much as I love the idea of having a pet, recently I've been debating whether it's really okay to use an animal in that way. I've had dogs in the past and loved them to bits, but they're too much responsibility and now is not the best time in my life to get another one. Guess all those 'A dog is for life, not just for Christmas' ads really worked. My last two dogs were rehomed because we couldn't properly care for them. The garden was too small, my brother never walked or cleaned up after them, and I was in another country most of the time.

Someone is winning me over with cats though. Much adorableness, and less responsibility than a slobbering hound.

Ruggy
01-01-2014, 04:59 PM
I have a small, friendly black hole/vortex. He feeds on time and money, and is shaped like a miniature poodle. He responds to 'Wesley'.

My dude:

http://i.imgur.com/TeUmV.jpg

I picked him up at the animal shelter near where I lived at the time! He was apparently found hiding under a car, in 100+ degree weather, covered in 6+ inches of matted fur (http://i.imgur.com/IXBmL.jpg). I was convinced I was going to leave there with a less adoptable dog (seriously, small, young, cute, doesn't shed; he was going to be fine) but he just walked over so politely, sat down at my feet, and looked at me, as if to ask if we could go home now. I'm glad he didn't turn out to be an asshole, because I was sold from that point on, pretty much.

Turns out he's got allergies, a sensitive stomach, bad knees, and a predisposition towards periodontal disease. Probably came from some puppy mill or a-hole backyard breeder who doesn't care about bloodlines. I think he's fairly lucky he came home with me, because I whisk him off to the vet as soon as I figure out he needs it, feed him prescription food, and brush his teeth on the regular. If he'd gone home with someone like my parents, they probably would've had him put down as soon as he did something stupid like eat part of a toy and get an intestinal blockage (which happened, and was expensive to fix).

He is my stupid little dog and I love him.

Tiger
01-02-2014, 12:42 AM
My parents' have 9 pets at their place- 2 cats, 2 dogs, 2 cockatiels, 2 sugar gliders (they're actually mine but I couldn't take them with me when I moved :( ) and a blue and gold macaw. His name is Noah since he's the only animal we don't have two of. When I move out with my dad we'll be taking one of the cats with us- Mya, she's a Siamese mix and I love this cat so, so, much, she's my sweetie girl. :)

My roommates have two guinea pigs, Willow and Muffin. Willow has crazy fur, mutton chops, and a black patch over her right eye. Muffin has a black head, butt, and a white body (like an oreo!). We're convinced Willow is a secret mastermind but Muffin is just an affectionate little derp. Love them both!

Fiz
01-02-2014, 12:56 AM
I've had pets all my life, so it's gonna be weird to not have any pets when I move to the UK in a few weeks.

Right now unfortunately me and my dad are down to just one ferret now. We had to put down our other ferret yesterday. It never gets any easier having to put down a pet, but I guess I'm glad that if it had to happen, that it happened while I was still here, so he could be with me one last time.

I've had dogs, cats, ferrets, fish, hamsters and gerbils but ferrets are my favorite pets to keep, but unfortunately they get sick very easily and you might not know how sick they really are because they are very good at not showing that they're hurting or sick. Would love to have another dog someday though, preferably a smaller breed like a corgi or something.

QT Melon
01-02-2014, 12:59 AM
I love ferrets, they're sneaky ninjas. Unfortunately the state I live in does not allow them.

I love the cute doggie.

I have hammies that think hair = nest

gyHnYp-VrJU

Rico
01-04-2014, 12:15 AM
and are often sold for snake food.

Buh this bothers me so bad because snake owners like myself should really know better. For one, all the issues of live food if they do feed live (injury, parasites, upkeep of uneaten animals, general awfulness) and they're pet store hamsters. Even killed they're covered with awful parasites and often have issues you can't see - feeding a sick animal to a snake is basically asking for nasties. BASICALLY I GET REALLY ANGRY AT OTHER SNAKE OWNERS SOMETIMES for being big dumb heads.
AND ONE MORE THING if your snake, especially a picky one like ball pythons ends up liking hamsters, then what? You can buy bags of frozen hamsters. You'll have to get hamsters from a pet store every week/2 weeks and risk having your snake killed by a hamster all the time and aausdfknsdadwhhhyyy

Okay rant over here's a picture of one of my hamsters. My old rescue hamster sadly passed away a few days ago, here's what he looked like:
http://i.imgur.com/Ut5PMGe.jpg

RIP Stalin. A Good Hamster.

QT Melon
01-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Hammies have the best paws, you just can't help but give them food and ask them "you want this" so you can watch them grab it in response :3

Thunder
01-05-2014, 12:43 AM
My family owns 2 fish, a turtle, a rabbit, a guinea pig and my sheppy Blaze.

He's my best bud. He gets a whole bunch of compliments for being such a gentle dog. Its very interesting because a lot of dogs around here are scared of bigger dogs and they will pester him (as in, not playfully), and he will either back away or just sit there. One time a dog attacked him and he just barked. He absolutely adores most dogs/people but most people are also afraid of him.

Here he is being weird.

http://i.imgur.com/Tn91oG9.jpg

We also have a large tree which we hang birdseed on, so we get lots of wild rainbow lorikeet.

Ruggy
01-05-2014, 04:54 AM
[FLUFFY DOGGY BELLY]

Oh my goodness he is so cute. I want to scratch his fluffy neck!

German Shepherds are definitely on my list of 'dogs breeds I'd like to own one of someday', but if I'm honest with myself, I know I'll just end up with whatever shelter roulette gives me. ('Round these parts, that probably translates to pit mixes, but I love those too, so, hey!)

Thunder
01-05-2014, 05:17 AM
Yes i love my bud! he is very soft personalty, and fur!

Shepherds are my favorite breed, but i always feel guilty for not taking in a shelter dog. Pitt bulls aren't allowed here, but hey! if they are nicely trained they can be great pets!

Ruggy
01-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Yes i love my bud! he is very soft personalty, and fur!

Shepherds are my favorite breed, but i always feel guilty for not taking in a shelter dog. Pitt bulls aren't allowed here, but hey! if they are nicely trained they can be great pets!

Well, just 'cause you don't have a shelter dog now doesn't mean you can't later. P: And there is something to be said for getting an animal from a breeder that genuinely cares about producing healthy, well-adjusted dogs. The only thing I think people should feel guilty about is for buying a puppy that came from a puppy mill situation or a careless backyard breeder who's only in it for the money, and supporting that place financially.

I'm also not keen on maintaining blood lines that produce animals who can't even birth on their own (bulldogs), or have some awful problem as a direct result of a breed standards (bulldogs/pugs and breathing, GSD's with hip problems due to show-breeders looking for that sloped profile.) It seems unkind.

It seems silly to ban specific breeds. It's happened before; to dobermans and to mastiffs at least, I believe, but nobody's crying out now about how dobermans are inherently people-killers or whatever right now.

And yeah, pits just need to be well-socialized with other dogs (or else just handled with the awareness that your dog reacts badly to other dogs), and taught boundaries with people, as do all dogs. Some of my college friends owned pits and pit mixes, and those dogs were/are the friendliest lunks of muscle I ever did meet. :3 But I do think people without the discipline to train and enforce rules, or the time to exercise them, probably ought to pick an easier dog breed. They're not for everyone.

Blah blah blah I like dogs and talking about them, if that is not obvious. >.>

Thunder
01-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Well, just 'cause you don't have a shelter dog now doesn't mean you can't later. P: And there is something to be said for getting an animal from a breeder that genuinely cares about producing healthy, well-adjusted dogs. The only thing I think people should feel guilty about is for buying a puppy that came from a puppy mill situation or a careless backyard breeder who's only in it for the money, and supporting that place financially.

I'm also not keen on maintaining blood lines that produce animals who can't even birth on their own (bulldogs), or have some awful problem as a direct result of a breed standards (bulldogs/pugs and breathing, GSD's with hip problems due to show-breeders looking for that sloped profile.) It seems unkind.

It seems silly to ban specific breeds. It's happened before; to dobermans and to mastiffs at least, I believe, but nobody's crying out now about how dobermans are inherently people-killers or whatever right now.

And yeah, pits just need to be well-socialized with other dogs (or else just handled with the awareness that your dog reacts badly to other dogs), and taught boundaries with people, as do all dogs. Some of my college friends owned pits and pit mixes, and those dogs were/are the friendliest lunks of muscle I ever did meet. :3 But I do think people without the discipline to train and enforce rules, or the time to exercise them, probably ought to pick an easier dog breed. They're not for everyone.

Blah blah blah I like dogs and talking about them, if that is not obvious. >.>

I would love to give shelter dog a good forever home one day. I hate the cruelty that's involved with puppy mills or careless breeders. I don't get why people still go to those places when perfectly good puppies are waiting to be adopted from places like shelters.

I agree with you on the bloodlines thing as well. Its not fair on the animal who has to live life with extra struggles that normal dogs don't. We had a female pug that came from being a breeding dog to a pet, and while she was an amazing pet, she had MANY problems. Especially in her later life. We tried to give her the best life we could, but in the end we had to put her down because it wasn't fair to her anymore.

Yes its stupid for banning dogs that can be perfectly happy family pets. Even if they say its to reduce dog fighting, the dog fighters will just use other breeds of dog.
All dogs are awesome pets if they have the best owner for them, an owner who can train the breed to be a beautiful and loving animal.

Its okay I like talking about dogs too much as well. My friends think i'm weird. But that's okay :)

King Gigabyte
01-13-2014, 02:53 PM
I have two cats and a cockatiel, Though I plan on getting a salamander and my tank set up with chiclids soon.

The two cats are Boots (female) and Kiki (Male)

I call Boots, Booties some times and she's the big eater of the family. She's super teeny tiny though for what ever reason but she's full of personality. She's a lil tuxedo cat and one of my best friends.

Kiki aka Sir Keekerton is a rather rambunctious ocicat that drives people insane. He likes to chase people around and hog the entire bed when he sleeps. He loves to run around and play outside.

Oregano (Piebald) Is full of personality and loves to constantly say "Hey Birdy" Over and over again and wolf whistle. Some times he dances to music he hears on tv and very rarely tells people to hurry up. I'm working on training him to get used to hands and I plan to teach him a few tricks and to say more things.

As for the animals I want to get in the future I really want to get an Axolotl. I have the perfect tank already for one and as for the Cichlids I have a lot of work to do on the 60gal tank I have for them but here's hoping every thing goes smoothly !

DinosaurDammit
01-13-2014, 03:52 PM
<ish the QUEEN of all things with scales

Ley
01-18-2014, 05:24 AM
I want rats. :(

Rico
01-18-2014, 08:16 PM
I want rats. :(

Rats are the best but lifespans/vet bills are killer sometimes. :c They're so cuddly though.

Aakosir
01-18-2014, 08:57 PM
I recently added two leopard geckos to my little family. One is a patternless tangerine sun glow with snake eyes and the other is a hypo tangerine. I love them. I had three leopard geckos before, but had to give them up thanks to military housing regulations... Along with my corn snakes and beardies..... I really regret it now.

DinosaurDammit
01-18-2014, 09:10 PM
clint eastwood yall
http://i.imgur.com/OONFxc2.jpg

piñardilla
01-18-2014, 09:15 PM
I'm deathly allergic to cats, dogs, and most anything else with fur.

The irony isn't lost on me.

Ratte
01-18-2014, 09:52 PM
I got blocked on FB because someone doesn't take good care of their animals and doesn't have any money in the case of a vet trip. They came to me to cry that their rat died despite it being out of their neglect. Oookay.

I keep rats, though I'm trying to avoid having any until I'm out of school. The one I have now was foisted of onto me, sadly. I miss keeping them.

Ley
01-19-2014, 04:18 AM
Rats are the best but lifespans/vet bills are killer sometimes. :c They're so cuddly though.

I wanted to get a pet so I sat down and researched for a couple months what would best fit my lifestyle, budget, and so on. I settled on rats because of the lack of space they needed, the attention they loved, their intelligence and their (short) lifespans, personally. I'm working on a little nest egg afore I buy future Fondue and gwen :>

Dio
01-19-2014, 04:33 AM
Even though I really like dogs and believe that if I'm ever in a position to get a pet a dog would be the way to go long term (because they can basically go everywhere and do everything with you), I would be totally down to get a rat if a dog wasn't feasible. Their intelligence is a big selling point for me, I think i'd have fun just seeing how much they could figure out.

Of course, there's always floppy-eared bunnies. I would totally get a floppy-eared bunny. His name would be Titan.

Ratte
01-20-2014, 05:12 AM
I wanted to get a pet so I sat down and researched for a couple months what would best fit my lifestyle, budget, and so on. I settled on rats because of the lack of space they needed, the attention they loved, their intelligence and their (short) lifespans, personally. I'm working on a little nest egg afore I buy future Fondue and gwen :>

Rats still need a lot of space for exercise. It's not advised to just let them sit in a cage all day just like how it's not advised to just sit in your room all day. A general guideline for cages is 2ft² per rat, no less than 1.5ft² per rat.

Be wary about store-bought animals. Probably best to simply avoid stores like you would for any other pet. If you wouldn't buy a puppy there, don't buy rats there. Try to find a breeder if you can, and understand that, if you buy females, there is going to be a fairly high chance of them getting mammary tumors, so have some money saved for vet trips.

I could go on but I'll stop there.

Zombi_Rat
01-20-2014, 07:10 AM
I'm another rat fanatic :3 I currently have five girls, a dumbo berk mink, a dumbo berk powder blue, an agouti hooded topeared, a black hooded topeared and a rescued hairless dumbo.
I love their intelligence and how strongly they bond with you, in some ways they really are like mini dogs. I aim to have a rattery one day when space and money permits. Our girls get free range time for at last an hour every day and love to go on shoulder rides, our rescue girl especially as she loves to snuggle up next to the heat of your neck <3

I also have a standard xoloitzcuintli dog, and help to care for my sisters Boston terrier and my mums horse and pony.

In the past I've kept mice, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits, budgies and cockatiels.

In the future I'd love to add a hairless cat and a greater vasa parrot to our family, as well as more rats (I don;t want a house without rats ever again now) and possibly a gun-dog as I really enjoy going out on shoots and field trials/working tests.

DinosaurDammit
01-20-2014, 12:27 PM
FOR RAT PEOPLE- go to a rat breeder for snake food- they treat theirrats with care, ask for retired breeder females. BEST RATTIES

Ratte
01-20-2014, 03:49 PM
FOR RAT PEOPLE- go to a rat breeder for snake food- they treat theirrats with care, ask for retired breeder females. BEST RATTIES

Or you could, you know, go to a rat breeder who breeds rats for pets and not as snake food. :I There is more to breeding rats than just making sure they're fed and given water.

TiaLeopard
01-20-2014, 07:05 PM
I have 3 breeding pairs of gerbils, Coacoa and Honey, Sky and Diamond, and Blacktail and Shadow (the most recent litter arrived last Wednesday), one Polish rabbit called Millie, a goldfish called Buzz, a half Persion/British Black called Beauty and two corn snakes called Tango and Diamond :3

Rico
01-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Or you could, you know, go to a rat breeder who breeds rats for pets and not as snake food. :I There is more to breeding rats than just making sure they're fed and given water.
This, I've seen breeder racks and they are not pretty. Health of the rats is an afterthought to quantity and none of them are socialized properly.
Hobbyist breeders seem best because the pro breeders tend to focus on colors for shows and less on health too. Depends on the breeder but I'd never trust a mass rat producer with pet quality.

DinosaurDammit
01-21-2014, 12:55 PM
This, I've seen breeder racks and they are not pretty. Health of the rats is an afterthought to quantity and none of them are socialized properly.
Hobbyist breeders seem best because the pro breeders tend to focus on colors for shows and less on health too. Depends on the breeder but I'd never trust a mass rat producer with pet quality.

yall be going to the wrong breeders then- my rat breeders treat theirs like pets and wont sell them live, they kill them with CO2 gas to avoid a snake related death

Brace
01-21-2014, 12:57 PM
I've been considering a ferret or chinchilla once I get economically settled.

Ratte
01-21-2014, 03:11 PM
yall be going to the wrong breeders then- my rat breeders treat theirs like pets and wont sell them live, they kill them with CO2 gas to avoid a snake related death

Well no shit, except they are not caring about the genetics of the rats when they breed, they are breeding for size and quantity. Don't go to breeders that are breeding SNAKE FOOD for rats that you want AS PETS. It is an all-around bad idea and you're just as well off buying from a pet store. Whether or not they're given plenty of food and water means nothing if they get, say, high whites mixed up, or other complete dumbfuckery of genetics that can easily go ignored when they are only wanting size and number, not happy, healthy pet-quality animals.

DinosaurDammit
01-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Well no shit, except they are not caring about the genetics of the rats when they breed, they are breeding for size and quantity. Don't go to breeders that are breeding SNAKE FOOD for rats that you want AS PETS. It is an all-around bad idea and you're just as well off buying from a pet store. Whether or not they're given plenty of food and water means nothing if they get, say, high whites mixed up, or other complete dumbfuckery of genetics that can easily go ignored when they are only wanting size and number, not happy, healthy pet-quality animals.

no need to get nasty dude. I was just sharing what I have dealings with. My breeder breeds different lines of rats like dumbos, rexes, hairless and other neat things. They do not breed for size they breed for healthy animals. I would rather my snake have to eat two smaller rats than a jumbo one that has been beefed up on god knows what. These rats are also fed highly nutritious diets rather than dog chow like so many others. I feel like the attitude i was given was a bit unnecessary.

Tycho
01-21-2014, 05:11 PM
no need to get nasty dude. I was just sharing what I have dealings with. My breeder breeds different lines of rats like dumbos, rexes, hairless and other neat things. They do not breed for size they breed for healthy animals. I would rather my snake have to eat two smaller rats than a jumbo one that has been beefed up on god knows what. These rats are also fed highly nutritious diets rather than dog chow like so many others. I feel like the attitude i was given was a bit unnecessary.

You tapdanced right around the high-white issue Ratte brought up, which is a serious issue BTW.

Ratte
01-21-2014, 05:18 PM

Because snake food breeders are feeder breeders, which is exactly the kind of rat/mouse/etc stocked in stores, and unless you have literally no other option, it is generally frowned upon to buy said feeders as pets. They can't into socialization, they can and often will have temperament problems, and get sick profoundly easily to the point that there isn't one in purchasing from them.

I am so greatly tired of BYB's and their ilk/cheerleaders when they are still breeding to feed their snakes. If they aren't breeding to better the genetic pool and overall health of the animal they are breeding (read: for the sake of giving their reptile something to eat once a week) they are shit breeders and your business should be taken elsewhere. I've gotten an unweaned rat foisted off on me before from that kind of bullshit and I've had rats in the past get sick and die before they're so much as a year old through things that have to be BRED against, not just given some decent food and hope for the best.

This is an incredibly touchy subject. If you would look down upon BYB's for cats and dogs, small animals like rats, mice, and rabbits are really no different just because they can be fed to a different animal.

autogatos
01-21-2014, 05:26 PM

^This. Knowing I wanted a specific breed (pomeranian), I chose to go with a good breeder who focused on breeding healthy dogs because I wanted to avoid a lot of the breed-specific health problems I've seen in BYB/puppymill poms. There are of course always breed-specific rescues, and sometimes I feel guilty for not going that route, but I had just lost my old dog of 15 years, I wanted a healthy puppy with a clean family history so I could increase my odds of having many happy healthy years with my new dog. I spent a very very long time looking for a good breeder (about a year) and was very happy with the one I chose and the dog I got from him.

I totally support shelter adoption too though! Especially if someone doesn't have a breed preference, shelters are totally the way to go. My cats are both adopted shelter cats (one from the pound, one from a cat rescue) and I will always get my cats from shelters.

Also I realized I did not post pictures before!
Here is Tyrion, my pomeranian:
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1/s720x720/487665_511640022999_1806688942_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1/s720x720/538338_511639963119_1026549311_n.jpg

And my cats:
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/s720x720/374044_507799259919_1636848121_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/s720x720/72359_511965600539_1835914575_n.jpg

Willow
01-21-2014, 05:34 PM
I only have a cat at the moment. He was technically a rescue someone didn't want to take to a shelter. Hoping that at some point in time maybe when I move into a better house to get a dog and maybe a couple of rats.

You tapdanced right around the high-
white issue Ratte brought up, which is a serious issue BTW.
From what it sounds like, DD's experience is incredibly different from the average person who breeds for food.

Nevermind she did say retired rats too. Not bred rats.

Ellisanderia
01-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Currently, my family owns three cats, and I personally own two rats.

My cats: We have two boys, and one brat of a girl kitty. The oldest of the three, Whispur, is almost completely solid grey except for small amounts of white on his chest, belly, and back toes. He's very timid, and he's actually the son of two cats that my family owned when I was younger. The second boy, Brain, is solid black and is kind of a pain. We're pretty sure he believes he's better than everyone and that we're all his servants, because if the litterbox even has a little bit of stuff in it he decides to do his business elsewhere. And the girl, Sassy, is the youngest of the three who we obtained from my grandmother when she couldn't keep her because of moving to a new place. She likes to torment the boys and attack them for no reason, and she's a total suck up to my dad.

My rats: I own two male rats whom I received Christmas Eve from a friend who could no longer afford to keep them. Unsure on their ages, because my friend was not sure how old they were when she received them from someone else who didn't tell her their ages. The assumed older of the two. Apollo, is albino, and he's a total momma's boy, because he loves being up on my shoulder or just in my lap. The other one, Spock, is a hooded grey. He's a lot more adventurous and has taken to trying to get to places in my room that he's not supposed to go. They're both very sweet though and love being around people. <3

Ratte
01-21-2014, 09:38 PM
I only have a cat at the moment. He was technically a rescue someone didn't want to take to a shelter. Hoping that at some point in time maybe when I move into a better house to get a dog and maybe a couple of rats.

get all the rats and then lay on them

best bed ever

Willow
01-21-2014, 10:02 PM
get all the rats and then lay on them

best bed ever
What happens if they carry me off somewhere though?

Ratte
01-22-2014, 12:32 AM
What happens if they carry me off somewhere though?

if they're rats they will bring you to a place with a lot of food so don't worry

rats love food, where else would they go

DinosaurDammit
01-22-2014, 01:20 PM
I
From what it sounds like, DD's experience is incredibly different from the average person who breeds for food.

Nevermind she did say retired rats too. Not bred rats.

THIS, when her breeder males and females become too old she lets the go peaseful, i ended up talking to her that Id buy the gassed bodies as well as some friends of mine so they wouldnt go to waste. She too likes snakes and agreed on it, she breeds some rats for shows and others for pets; however at the end of life cycle before they go though old age she retires them and they become food. Ive never seen an ounce of crulety and I feel peeps are missing my point entirely

Ratte
01-22-2014, 01:41 PM
THIS, when her breeder males and females become too old she lets the go peaseful, i ended up talking to her that Id buy the gassed bodies as well as some friends of mine so they wouldnt go to waste. She too likes snakes and agreed on it, she breeds some rats for shows and others for pets; however at the end of life cycle before they go though old age she retires them and they become food. Ive never seen an ounce of crulety and I feel peeps are missing my point entirely

Then if they're not breeding for shows and for pets, they are not feeder breeders. There is a huge difference between someone who breeds for feeders and someone who breeds as a pro or hobbyist who will occasionally use their own breeding fodder for their reptile food. How you got these two things confused is beyond me.

DinosaurDammit
01-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Then if they're not breeding for shows and for pets, they are not feeder breeders. There is a huge difference between someone who breeds for feeders and someone who breeds as a pro or hobbyist who will occasionally use their own breeding fodder for their reptile food. How you got these two things confused is beyond me.

her rats become my feeder rats, to me there snt a difference. If you are talking about rat labs that produce them boy the thousands to ship then yes I get you.

Ratte
01-22-2014, 01:47 PM
her rats become my feeder rats, to me there snt a difference. If you are talking about rat labs that produce them boy the thousands to ship then yes I get you.

Someone who has a side as breeding for food is a completely different matter. Feeder breeders are the people who stock pet stores and the frozen rats/mice/rabbits and such for reptiles, namely snakes. There is a difference in the practice, a huge one in fact.

Fyala
01-23-2014, 03:28 PM
We have two ferrets, one male and one female, they're both about 2,5 years old now. We got them from a ferret-shelter about 1,5 year ago. They're super-adorable and have a lot of personality. The male is pretty lazy but that also means you can hug m more. And the female is very playful and active (which is fun) but she doesn't like hugs that much (not that they really know what a hug is...).

Tiido
01-23-2014, 09:44 PM
I would love to have a cat but unfortunately the aparment I live in is a no animals zone :C