PDA

View Full Version : Movies that should be remade

rbartrop
03-16-2013, 01:34 AM
Everyone likes to gripe about movie remakes, and some films really should be left alone, but there are films that have benefited from a second, or even third attempt. The 1941 version of The Maltese Falcon that everyone knows and loves was in fact the third attempt at this story, and whatever your feelings about the animated versions The Lord of the Rings, I doubt you were too upset that Peter Jackson took another go at it.
So, what movies do you think would actually benefit from a remake? For me, the one that springs to mind is Johnny Mnemonic. I'm a big William Gibson fan, and I really enjoyed the original story, so I think a remake that stayed closer to that would be worth watching.
So, how about you? What flawed gems could stand some more polishing? What turkeys should go back in the oven?

Rilvor
03-16-2013, 04:32 AM
How about The Super Mario Bros Movie.

Tigercougar
03-16-2013, 12:09 PM
The Star Wars Prequels. Just follow RedLetterMedia's advice.

Damian
03-16-2013, 01:04 PM
The NeverEnding Story.

The Letter W
03-16-2013, 02:42 PM

Python Blue
03-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Personally, older movies I feel should not be remade, reason being the new crew would likely butcher the original. Rob Zombie's remakes of Halloween 1 and 2 are examples of what I mean.

TigerBeacon
03-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Pretty much almost every movie based on a hit-selling game and/or TV franchise that wasn't really based on it but just borrowed the name and concepts from it. Notable examples being:

Dragonball Evolution
The Last Airbender
All the Resident Evil movies
I guess Super Mario Bros too. I can't remember it much from way back when but I do remember it was nothing like the Mario games.

Onnes
03-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Gone with the Wind.
The public outcry would be better than any film.

Tigercougar
03-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Gone with the Wind.
The public outcry would be better than any film.

They'd delete the controversial elements if they remade it.

Tiger
03-17-2013, 02:21 PM
There are a bunch of movies I can think of that could be remade, but most are just too classic to do so (Creature From the Black Lagoon, Phantom Planet, The Blob...) Although I was pretty happy with the Tron remake.

So as far as remakes go, I'd say I'd rather see a movie that bombed the first time be remade to be better rather than an older movie be remade for the sake of using newer movie effects and advances and such. Unfortunately I can't think of any right now (my brain is too focused on the homework I should be doing).

rbartrop
03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Personally, older movies I feel should not be remade, reason being the new crew would likely butcher the original. Rob Zombie's remakes of Halloween 1 and 2 are examples of what I mean.

Tempting, but if we go with what is likely to happen, then nobody should ever make a movie ever again. However, I do agree that some movies just don't need. The Maltese Falcon may have taken three tried to get right, but there definitely doesn't need to be a fourth, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say Peter Jackson made the definitive movie version of LotR, and we don't need another one any time soon. Trying to remake classic films in the hopes of capturing some of their magic is an exercise that's doomed to failure. It's the bad ones that need a do-over.

Nightpaws
03-17-2013, 08:31 PM
I'd like to see a Daniel Craig remake of Dr No. I never really liked it despite loving the old Bonds so perhaps his spin on it would make it a bit more enjoyable :)

Mayhem
03-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Id like to see them do the AMAZING XMEN. I wouldnt like to see a reboot but pick it up a little into it. Most people know them so why start all over again.
Maybe marvel could put out a few prequel comics leading up to the movie then BAM your right in the middle of the movie.

It would be nice if the directors would go with the way they are doing it now. Not changing things that are set in the comic world. There isnt a reason to rethink the xmen is there? Just go with whats there and show us that amazing story.

Also since its amazing xmen we can tie in spiderman for the next movie......kiddies would flip and so would comic geeks

Goggles
03-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Personally, I'd love to see 'Eragon' be remade as something closer to the book, or at least not as different as the movie was made into. If the script hadn't excluded some major plot points and characters it would have at least been eligible for a potential sequel, but sadly what we got a lovely garbled pile of garbage with some pretty effects.
And I could go on and on about how I would love to see at least one Phantom of the Opera movie that runs along the same lines as the book and not veer off into some completely out of the blue ending. Like combining some of the horror elements of the 1989 version with the more artistic and music-based elements of the 1943 and 2004 versions.

And I have a list of really terrible movies I think would be interesting to see remade, to see if they can either match the original terribleness of the film or somehow make them into something worthwhile to watch (movies like 'Yor: Hunter From the Future', just generally terrible films). It's not something I'm pining for but just dwelling on the thought is entertaining enough for me.

Rilvor
03-20-2013, 04:54 AM
If, and only if, they could capture the original charm and spirit of the movie...

Those Magnificent Men And Their Flying Machines

Mikhowl
03-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Personally, I'd love to see 'Eragon' be remade as something closer to the book, or at least not as different as the movie was made into. If the script hadn't excluded some major plot points and characters it would have at least been eligible for a potential sequel, but sadly what we got a lovely garbled pile of garbage with some pretty effects.

This was what I was going to say. Most definitely the Eragon movie. I loved the book! And it would be great to see the rest in films...

rbartrop
03-22-2013, 09:41 PM
I'd really like to see The Avengers redone. Not the superhero movie, but the one based on the British TV show. I loved the show, and it really deserved a better film.

Aden
03-22-2013, 11:46 PM

Oh god, this. Such an amazing series deserves a good movie.

(And maybe it will ease the pain of the shyamalan rendition)

Onnes
03-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Oh god, this. Such an amazing series deserves a good movie.

(And maybe it will ease the pain of the shyamalan rendition)

Don't worry, I'm sure Shyamalan's Avatar 2 will finally end his long string dismal failures.

kuto
03-24-2013, 05:51 PM
if anything a better transformers movie not made by Micheal bay. Get people who know the source material to make movies based on childhood classics. I just hope the smurfs 2 bombs so they'll cancel the third on on the list since they want a trilogy.

Damian
04-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Also since its amazing xmen we can tie in spiderman for the next movie......kiddies would flip and so would comic geeks

Yes, for different reasons. The Spiderman movie should never have been made at all. Most of the shots were for product placement and the scenes all felt so fake.

Brace
04-12-2013, 03:00 PM
I think Titan AE should be remade. It was an interesting concept but it couldn't decide what kind of movie it wanted to be and had too much narm as a result.

Lucy Bones
04-12-2013, 03:04 PM
I'd love to see a retelling of one of Sam Peckinpah's movies, like Straw Dogs or The Ballad of Cable Hogue.

AurumLutra
04-20-2013, 03:40 AM
A movie remake I would love to see is The Black Hole. I dig the movie and the soundtrack, but it was Disney crap and had too many plotholes. If they fixed the acting and plot, I think it would be a damn fine science fiction movie.

kaeo333
05-30-2013, 08:51 AM
I really appreciate your advice about the remaking the movie but one thing i noticed that if you change the actor of the movies they are totally affect the movies characters or not?I like you are all ideas and hope the film maker implement these advice to remake the film..

Prime Scales (http://www.primescales.com/store/)|Bench Scales (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Prime-Scales-Floor-Bench-Counting-Scales/163007760563810

)

RX-149Dragonite
05-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Top Gun 2: The Revengening: The Return: Electric Boogaloo: Dreams Come True: In 3D 4D and Smellovision

Featuring Nicolas Cage as Tom Cruise as Maverick

Directed by M Night Shamalamadingdong and J.J. Abrams