PDA

View Full Version : Life of "The Admin"

nanakisan
03-12-2013, 12:03 PM
We've all had to have tried it. We all have to have suffered it. Being a admin to a community. taking on the responsibility and such. Lets share those memories. be they good or funny....or just plain freaking scary. I've always found this to be one hot topic among people who have done it.

Me it starts with me being Head Admin for 8 years to a sci-fi RP community. Nothing to dull or to insane. It was however the last months of my position is when it went crazy. 1 guy thought it would be funny to impersonate my staff. He was a known problem in the community. A lot of the problems he caused prior to the incident, was mainly stupidity. I've had to warn him countless times to keep with his content. He was a well known member having started one of the few oldest RP Threads. However apparently a argument broke out in character and the guy took extreme offense to it. It was one of my moderators who insulted him in the RP. The guy decided to actually pay him back in spades and make a new forum account that was similar to the mods name. this is where i came in. He started badgering new people and belittling them. Making the real guy look bad because they were making reports about my mod. I took a look into this and found out about a day later after post combing. I found the little snot. I banned him then informed the leading players of his RP that i'm going to erase the thread. They all agreed and they actually saved the whole thing for re-posting later.

So i erase the thread as punishment for the guys extreme behavior. I later get a PM written in Klingon....yes..klingon i shit you not. he was cursing like a hen being attacked. When it was all said and done, he wrote another PM in english. Saying i ruined his life. That thread was to the letter his life and blood. I essentially killed him.

My response? "I'm sorry we just met and all. I cannot accept your love. Also just curious? Do you kiss your own mother with that mouth?". After that message I iptabled his butt and never saw him again.

Well thats about it. I have more to share, but i don't want to hog the whole spotlight. So lets see where this thread goes!

Fay V
03-12-2013, 04:19 PM
I only really have one semi interesting story. I've been a moderator on FaF, admin on FA, and admin here. FA wasn't really so bad, but I more interested myself in plagiarism tickets which are fairly straight forward and I avoided drama and all that.
I can't say much about being an Admin on Weasyl except that I like it. I have a lot of faith in our current staff. I won't go into details as that seems unprofessional to me to do on this site.

For my semi-interesting story, it happened when I was a mod on FaF and mostly just involved someone that I met at a con. I had a room to share in a roomshare and the guy filled it. He was nice enough, followed the rules, and was just a bit awkward. There isn't anything really notable about it, we didn't really hang out because we didn't really click. I left the con with a general ambivalence toward his character.
A couple months later I'm doing regular work on FaF and he posts a one word response to a thread, this is against the rules so I gave him a warning about it. He then proceeds to send me a PM asking if my parents or professors would be proud of me knowing that I am being cruel and unfair by unfairly warning him and letting my friends do whatever they want on FaF. He claimed I just warned him because I hate him, even though it was pretty blatant of a rule break.
I pointed out the exact wording of the rule he broke and informed him that I didn't in fact hate him, that I was neutral about him since the con. His response was that I clearly hated him because I took no time to randomly message or PM to ask how he was doing. An act he never did to me, something I don't even do with my actual friends.

After talking to him he calmed down and accepting the warning he had gotten and realized that I wasn't going out of my way to punish him out of hatred, though I did tell him that after such an exchange we would never be friends and I did in fact now dislike him. I don't appreciate someone simply assuming I act out of hatred, that I favor my friends, or has the gall to bring my parents pride into this when it's an internet forum.

I'm not going to name names, or clarify any answers if people want to guess. I know the dude wants to change. He tried contacting me recently and while I'm still not interested, it's up to him to screw it up with other people. It was just a very interesting experience for me with the furry fandom. There's so many people that expected to be treated as your best friend because you are both furries. In reality if I don't have much in common with someone I'm just neutral, I'm not rude but I won't go out of my way to send messages or well wishes, and people treat that as sheer hatred.

nanakisan
03-12-2013, 06:10 PM
There's so many people that expected to be treated as your best friend because you are both furries. In reality if I don't have much in common with someone I'm just neutral, I'm not rude but I won't go out of my way to send messages or well wishes, and people treat that as sheer hatred.

*le clap of claps* Well played good sir. well played indeed.

Fay V
03-12-2013, 06:19 PM
*le clap of claps* Well played good sir. well played indeed.

*shrug* it's an odd habit in fandoms that I just don't understand. That and people that you're being friendly with and they start trying to act like you've been best friends for years.

Actually that reminds me of another funny thing I see a lot for mods and admins. People that are suddenly super friendly. I suppose on some sites it does get you some preferable treatment so I can't blame them too much, but I find it funny when they think they're being subtle. "I think you're so cool, by the way I have this ticket."

nanakisan
03-12-2013, 06:46 PM
"I think you're so cool, by the way I have this ticket."

Happened to me as a game admin. Tf2 to be precise. I banned a kid for 1 week. extreme mic spam. His friend was present. He tired to use his really nice friend to get to me. After i nicely told him my response and the message to his friend. I edited his ban to include a note. "ultimatum: Don't use your friends to butter me up. we have a unban process. Follow it"

the kid isn't stupid. far from it. If he wasn't such a spammer sometimes. he'd be one of our more mature younger kids in the servers.

Sparky15756
03-12-2013, 10:54 PM
I don't think this really counts but I've been an admin of a chat group on MSN Messenger, Global Furry Chat, and currently the head-admin of a Yu-Gi-Oh! trading group on Facebook, Yu-Gi-Oh! Free Trading UK, Ireland and Europe.

The furry chat on MSN Messenger was pretty easy to handle, despite having college everyday, as most of the members lived in the American timezones but I did have to deal with some drama ever now and then but nothing too major. Nowdays the group is still going, slowly, mainly because people have ditched MSN Messenger.

The group on Facebook, I was chosen to be admin once the group had expended because of how active I was in the group and since the creator left because of real life problems and left me in the charge of the group (with other admins and mods) with over 800 members, I've not had to do much in the way of administration up until the past few days as I'm dealing with someone who's apparently ripping people off and being a right problem to the group.

There is one more story but it's not me being admin but global moderator and I didn't really do much because there was barely much to do because it was a small forum and the most I had to do was ban spammers.

Fiz
03-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Been a mod/admin on a whole lot of things over 10 years. I think the worst was when I was an admin on an anthro oekaki. Admittedly I could be a turd sometimes but a lot of the people there had a seething hatred for me. There were a few other admins but when anything went wrong, I immediatly got blamed and yelled at. I eventually just let myself be the scapegoat because after a certain point I didn't care. I mean, the first day I got my admin powers I got accused of banning a user even though I didn't know them at all? So it even started off really bad.

People would break rules on purpose to mess with me or something, they'd get banned/suspended, and then they'd get their friends to scream at me. It go to a point where they were trying to get 4chan to come after me by posting threads about me every day for 3 or 4 days? Or they'd post under my name on there and pretend to be me. Nothing ever happened though.

Needless to say, I prefer being staff on here a lot more compared to that.

Thistle
03-13-2013, 12:16 AM
I've staffed a few times over the years in RPGs, and overall it's been pretty standard hilarity. general fuckery with canon, people wanting to power/metagame, tantrums over their magical MaryGarySueStu not being the center of the game, etc. In fact, in the last "official" group RP I staffed all of the really crazy people had been weeded out. So I missed out on all the strange conspiratorial in-fighting and borderline death threats (yes, seriously).

I think the strangest was recently, when I mucked with the possibility of a new "public" RP. I gave the link to a few people, and it got 'round to a couple guys who had been in the last game I moderated. Keep in mind the former game had ended almost two years ago, and, months prior to that, both of these dudes had been given multiple chances to stop the bad behavior that got them the boot. One of them was before I was even the staff, the other banned by an admin higher than me.

Despite this, they assumed they were "barred from entry" in this new, completely unrelated game (with no other staff except for myself). Once again two years after their being nixed (it might have even been three since the one guy was banned). It was one of those small, magical situations that made me go, "Yyyyeah, let's just stick to small scenes with pals." Or maybe I was just part of the staff hivemind who knows~ 8)

Aden
03-13-2013, 12:22 AM
*shrug* it's an odd habit in fandoms that I just don't understand. That and people that you're being friendly with and they start trying to act like you've been best friends for years

Everything you've talked about in this thread just reeks of the geek social fallacies (http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html)

Anyway, I've been a mod/admin on FAF for a while. No exciting or outrageous stories to tell, I'm afraid - I must attract all the reasonable people.

My only common complaint across everywhere I've been a mod or admin is that a lot of my fellow staff members didn't know how to recognize parody or sarcasm or playful tongue-in-cheek writing. They always assumed the most malicious intent, even when it was strikingly obvious that was not the case. Had to reverse many an impulsive action in my time

nanakisan
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
I think some of the most fun i have had as a admin of late. Would have to go to this lovely gaming community i've now entered 1 year to. recently like 4 months ago i was made mod. then 1 month ago i was made a admin. There is so much that happens in gaming communities its hilarious. So many jokes thrown out and stuff. However i think one of the funniest people on our server was one guy who i banned.

He is a long time member of the community. playing and stuff, he's always had a big mouth on him. However once of his funny quirks was how he can go from nice guy. To being the absolute tyrant, he would start mic spamming like no ones issue. He was banned 2 times prior to mine. discussions amongst the administrative staff dictated his next ban be permanent. well he slipped up and when i banned him. I get a PM detailing his life to me. How he was abused as a child. blah blah blah, now don't get me wrong. I wouldn't have cared much. Its what he said about how i got admin before him when he's been in the community longer then me. That alone just made me sad. I told him maybe if he hadn't been such a dick all the time. he wouldn't have been banned.

Well he's banned from the servers. However it was decided to let him stay in the forums. He went on about how he is a judist, that he cannot be forgiven and stuff. Well about a week after his ban he's posting in the forums being mister nice guy and shit. I won't go into much detail. However what i do know is that he suffers from being bi-polar. Still....maybe when time comes and goes i might resend the perma ban and let him back in.

I hate being the center of every persons hate. But at the same time it never phases me. Not one bit! hahahaha I actually get quite the chuckle out of people who think they can manipulate me.

Nightpaws
03-13-2013, 12:39 PM
So far, I've been the admin of several Facebook groups for University (and previously college) which inevitably filled with drama as you can't have a class of people who dislike one another posting constructively all the time :P Still, they got through the years with no fatalities and to this day I've never had to ban anyone from them as they've either cooled off on their own, or after a fair warning from myself.
-----
I've also been admin on a Minecraft Server which has ranged from great fun to utter insanity fuel. The most serious issue I had to deal with was with a member who was a bully on the server, earned himself an IP ban and a permanent account ban.
A few days later I came online to find that the server had been stopped by another administrator so I checked the staff room. It transpired the server had been obliterated using the WorldEdit tool (Mass area editing plugin we had restricted to Staff only).

After locking down the server, assessing and repairing the damage, and identifying the culprit(s), we found that a member of the staff team had their account compromised and had proceeded to give admin permissions to a group of the culprits friends. The staff member resigned following the incident.

This incident took 2 nights to repair, required the permissions for all 12 member groups to be rebuilt from scratch, all plugins were updated and reconfigured, and security was massively tightened. I did it all myself, and stayed up till 5am getting 2 hours sleep. Since then we've not had a single issue which remotely compares to it.

I had a chatroom of members cheering me on throughout the rebuild and at times had 60 player in chat waiting patiently for me to complete the work.

------

Stuff online rarely upsets or annoys me, but that really did take the biscuit.

nanakisan
03-13-2013, 01:54 PM
So far, I've been the admin of several Facebook groups for University (and previously college) which inevitably filled with drama as you can't have a class of people who dislike one another posting constructively all the time :P Still, they got through the years with no fatalities and to this day I've never had to ban anyone from them as they've either cooled off on their own, or after a fair warning from myself.
-----
I've also been admin on a Minecraft Server which has ranged from great fun to utter insanity fuel. The most serious issue I had to deal with was with a member who was a bully on the server, earned himself an IP ban and a permanent account ban.
A few days later I came online to find that the server had been stopped by another administrator so I checked the staff room. It transpired the server had been obliterated using the WorldEdit tool (Mass area editing plugin we had restricted to Staff only).

I help work as a Semi-Admin to a massive Cracked MC community. 150 players daily.... I'll tell you and i mean no offense. But most of our craftiest and nastiest players are Italians. Our server allows griefing within certain extents. However we had this one guy and his group get selectively banned. They were a severe detriment to the server. Constantly killing new players to the point our donations were taking a hit. a huge massive hit. The leader of this group has actually come back after being unbanned. Not as a ass but as asset... Its funny how that works.

Our staff ....heh...so much humor in one place. its hard for people to be serious. We've never had a full blown server security compromise. might be due to the server owner being a IT and a guy who works in criminal justice. however one of the funniest things that ever happened on our server. Was when a old long time Lead admin player ranked God. his name was walrus. When he decided to leave the server he jokingly flew up to 120 then typed //expand horizontal in all directions then typed //set dirt.
for 2 days we had a dirt sky in MC. It was regarded as the great darkness. It was hilarious.

Nightpaws
03-13-2013, 03:02 PM
The leader of this group has actually come back after being unbanned. Not as a ass but as asset... Its funny how that works.

Sometimes a reality check is all it takes to turn people around and realise they enjoyed playing and not abusing.

Our server was cracked at the time of being compromised. I had inherited it from a previous owner and (wrongly) trusted it had been checked and secured. That's one mistake I won't make again!

With regards to the sudden 'friendliness', it can be surprising how quickly people turn on you from it. When I'm online I treat everyone as I expect to be treated in return and even if I disagree I do my best to stay calm and collected.

I initially found it surprising how many people talk to others as if they're Siri and just demand things. "Ban xxxx because I hate them", "give me a donor rank because I've been here for months". Then if I say no they sometimes try to butter me up, or alternatively fire up the abuse cannon.

Nothing major, I just don't know why they believe they have more authority than every other member.

Mayhem
03-13-2013, 03:42 PM
I think the worst part of being an Admin is the fact that if you ban someone who has done wrong and then they get all their friends to start spam hating you. Sometimes people deserve bans and sometimes they dont. Banning shouldnt always be the first thing someone jumps too and I hope this forum stays that way of talking it out with a user. It will leave these place a quite friendly community.

I have been an admin on a few sites and I have to say the worst time I had was on a gaming forum for Ragnarok. It was a huge guild forum that I made for my guild that had an alliance with two other guilds. Lets just say, some people can be really evil and hateful when a guild dissects from an alliance for whatever reason. Between trying to delete or save threads turning into flame cussing fests and stopping the "other" guild members from coming in and destroying the forum it just turned into a horror show.

Yea there are stories a lot like these from time to time. For the most part being an admin and keeping the peace was a pleasant experience. I have admin-ed on a few art sites and I love challenging the community and helping people become better artists. I hope this community becomes an artistic community that thrives in advancing the artists in the forum as well as the site.

Dark
03-20-2013, 02:34 AM
I initially found it surprising how many people talk to others as if they're Siri and just demand things. "Ban xxxx because I hate them", "give me a donor rank because I've been here for months". Then if I say no they sometimes try to butter me up, or alternatively fire up the abuse cannon.

(revival!)

Trust me, I know how this feels. I'm a global admin on one of the largest server networks on the Internet (CowCraft; seven servers, 910 slots total with an average of 500-650 across servers), and I regularly get people mailspamming me with "unban X hacker!" or "i mpaid for a rank that doesn't entitle me to a nick but i want one anyway!" or, my personal favorite, the 10 year olds spamming server chat with "ADMIN" every five seconds. There are very few good donors, too, as a lot of them are also members of the aforementioned crowd of idiots who just happened to have the money to pay for the higher-cost donor ranks like CowGod ($99 on the PvP server) or Executive ($110 on the survival server). I've also encountered quite a few of those who've had Nodus or similar modded clients and have used them in PvP, then complained on the forums after they got banned claiming they didn't cheat. The only good younger players and donors have all become staff or are staff in training. It's ridiculous.

ElementCraft (the survival server that Edy, the owner, bought from its previous owners and added to the network) also has continuous problems with the fallout of an old admin who ragequit after handing out cheat items (diamond equipment with every enchantment in the game at level 127), and it's gotten so bad that the resident Bukkit plugin developer has had to custom-code a 127 item removal command plugin that checks for and nukes them, as well as listing the owners of the items so they can be reprimanded. I once found an Executive donor on the server who had one and banned him for three days because of it. The moron then spammed the forums with ban appeals even though it was a three-day temporary ban which ,at the time of his last appeal, had nine hours left before it expired. I said no every time he hilariously asked me to shorten the ban and told him to wait.

nanakisan
03-20-2013, 03:29 AM
XD

thats pretty much MinecraftSMP.org to a tee right there Dark. Precisely to a tee. Only we serve cracked players not premium...mother of god is it a headache!

TangoDelahunt
04-12-2013, 01:10 PM
I would have a story to share but apparently no one trusts me with that kind of power. :(

sanita

Grimfang
04-12-2013, 02:02 PM
There are a lot of former admins and mods from FA here.

I used to be an admin on FA's forums. I can think of a couple ridiculous experiences. One of them was harassment from a person who I won't name, but I think they work on e621 now. This person and I had multiple conflicts and I just thought it'd be better if we stopped talking. So they began making alt accounts, and tried to befriend me through these accounts. I usually caught on pretty quickly, but it was a very creepy episode. I used to draw, and they even tried getting drawing requests out of me through an alt account. It was very creepy. This was a big factor in me retiring from being an admin then, heh.

The other episode was an issue of harassment. Basically, one furry made themselves famous to trolls on youtube. My first reaction was to not allow any of the trolls to bring the issue to FA's forums, since trolling isn't allowed, but after talking with the other mods, we realized that we'd have to ban a topic of off-site events altogether, which is a bit heavy handed of a response. So this guy wound up reporting posts and blogging on the issue as it carried on for a month or longer. All the "trolls" did was talk about what happened in a series of incidents on youtube, while the guy continually took the troll bait. I suppose it really just came down to being clever at harassing the guy, but the guy just made it so easy. There was nothing we could do to both be reasonable and stop it.

I really miss those days.

Lucy Bones
04-12-2013, 02:55 PM
If you/'re not a retarded piece of shit, being an admin/mod is a breeze.

Because people will actually like you. :U

Fay V
04-12-2013, 02:57 PM
I would have a story to share but apparently no one trusts me with that kind of power. :(

sanita

Honestly dude, the paradox of it is that you need to show you can and will do the work regardless of the title. you have to show you can be an admin before anyone is going to trust you with it, and posts like that don't particularly help.

I've seen plenty of people that cry that they'd be a great mod if someone gave them a chance, but inevitably they seek out authority to right personal wrongs and clear their own vendettas. Not to say you will, just "no one gives me a chance" is the call of someone I am not interested in as staff.
The people that end up on staffs are the ones that see a need and fill it. The ones that are reporting violations on the site when they see them. The ones that try to tag things or just make the forum active. Offer suggestions and ideas.
It's not the person that white knights the site and staff, not here anyway.

do a lot of grunt work without complaint, without expectation and people notice. If you can do the worst shit without recognition you are a good candidate for staff because it means you won't burn out when you're not instantly loved and popular.

If you/'re not a retarded piece of shit, being an admin/mod is a breeze.

Because people will actually like you. :U

I've found this to be half true. If you're decent, keep judgments at bay, and are smart about it, in general you're not despised. You still get the people that expect you to defend their name when they've done something dumb. Or the ones that will bitch about you up and down because you told them that google images doesn't mean you can just copy and paste a picture you find there to your work.

I think my favorite thus far is someone yelling at me that nudity is beautiful and natural, and I'm a nasty prude that will never get laid.

Lucy Bones
04-12-2013, 02:58 PM
So far I'm the only mod I know that Wolf-Bone hasn't totally tried to trash on just cuz' I'm a mod.

So I must be doing good. :B

Fay V
04-12-2013, 03:07 PM
So far I'm the only mod I know that Wolf-Bone hasn't totally tried to trash on just cuz' I'm a mod.

that's good. I can't really comment on wolf-bone, but yeah, if you're doing it right it's not so bad. depends on the place and fanbase.
you'll always get that one though that just haaaaates you.

TangoDelahunt
04-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Honestly dude, the paradox of it is that you need to show you can and will do the work regardless of the title. you have to show you can be an admin before anyone is going to trust you with it, and posts like that don't particularly help.

I've seen plenty of people that cry that they'd be a great mod if someone gave them a chance, but inevitably they seek out authority to right personal wrongs and clear their own vendettas. Not to say you will, just "no one gives me a chance" is the call of someone I am not interested in as staff.
The people that end up on staffs are the ones that see a need and fill it. The ones that are reporting violations on the site when they see them. The ones that try to tag things or just make the forum active. Offer suggestions and ideas.
It's not the person that white knights the site and staff, not here anyway.

do a lot of grunt work without complaint, without expectation and people notice. If you can do the worst shit without recognition you are a good candidate for staff because it means you won't burn out when you're not instantly loved and popular.

Ouch. I was being sarcastic when I made that comment. Should have clarified I guess.

Lucy Bones
04-12-2013, 03:11 PM
He's still tried trashing on me, because he's Wolf-Bone, but he just doesn't do it as often as he targets other staff members of other places.

I'm a cheeky asshole, I know it, I get banned on FAF all the time because that forum is trashy and it's fun to fuck around and piss off admins there. It's terribly run, so I don't feel the need to abide by their rules. However, in a forum I actually enjoy, I'm pretty serious about following the proper protocol. As long as I agree with that protocol, and it isn't Nazi-status bullshit, like "This thread is closed because it isn't interesting enough."

Fay V
04-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Ouch. I was being sarcastic when I made that comment. Should have clarified I guess.
Sorry man, it wasn't anything personal. I'm just getting tired of hearing "if I only had the chance..."
Not saying you personally can't do it, or that you haven't shown willingness. Just a general bit of advice to anyone that wants to be staff, if you start being useful and working in ways you can, finding ways to be helpful leads to trust and leads to being trusted with a position.

He's still tried trashing on me, because he's Wolf-Bone, but he just doesn't do it as often as he targets other staff members of other places.

I'm a cheeky asshole, I know it, I get banned on FAF all the time because that forum is trashy and it's fun to fuck around and piss off admins there. It's terribly run, so I don't feel the need to abide by their rules. However, in a forum I actually enjoy, I'm pretty serious about following the proper protocol. As long as I agree with that protocol, and it isn't Nazi-status bullshit, like "This thread is closed because it isn't interesting enough."

Eh I just got bored with FaF to be honest. It was nasty for a while but interesting. Like people really sharing what they have to say in a very blunt way. Now it just seems rather...drab. nothing particularly interesting to me going on, but people still being a bit sharp about it all. So I just wandered off. I'm too busy to play those games now anyway.

TangoDelahunt
04-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Sorry man, it wasn't anything personal. I'm just getting tired of hearing "if I only had the chance..."
Not saying you personally can't do it, or that you haven't shown willingness. Just a general bit of advice to anyone that wants to be staff, if you start being useful and working in ways you can, finding ways to be helpful leads to trust and leads to being trusted with a position.

It's okay. If you want me on the staff you'll tell me. I get that. I do try when I can to help. Meh, if it happens it happens. I know at first I was a little passionate when the site came online. Now, I'm of the attitude of "I got about 30 minutes to kill. I'll just tag stuff to stave off boredom."

Sanita

Fay V
04-12-2013, 03:41 PM
It's okay. If you want me on the staff you'll tell me. I get that. I do try when I can to help. Meh, if it happens it happens. I know at first I was a little passionate when the site came online. Now, I'm of the attitude of "I got about 30 minutes to kill. I'll just tag stuff to stave off boredom."

Sanita

honestly that's how it ends up with most staff I know. they weren't selected when they were gung ho "omg best site ever have my babies" but later when they were just investing time into it and doing stuff that needed doing.
I'm sure you'll find your spot on a staff someday. it's also about finding a group that works for you, and again this is more general advice for people.

Lucy Bones
04-12-2013, 03:46 PM
I just think the site needs more members, and doesn't need any staff additions any time soon. I mean, GTWF only has three staff members, including myself, and it's more active than these forums most of the time. An army of staff doesn't compare to a select few with heads on their shoulders.

Fay V
04-12-2013, 03:52 PM
I just think the site needs more members, and doesn't need any staff additions any time soon. I mean, GTWF only has three staff members, including myself, and it's more active than these forums most of the time. An army of staff doesn't compare to a select few with heads on their shoulders.

Myeah, I don't think we're looking for new forum mods, our forum and site are pretty linked anyway so it's not just this weird appendix. We have our new mods on main side and we'll add as needed.
That being said, I do want to improve our ferret system, so hopefully we'll be able to open up for ferrets soon, but that depends on a lot of factors atm

Lucy Bones
04-12-2013, 03:53 PM
I have to ask.

What in the unholy fuck is a ferret? :B

TangoDelahunt
04-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Well, if a certain 'ship' keeps ramming icebergs that may happen sooner than we think.

Fay V
04-12-2013, 04:38 PM
I have to ask.

What in the unholy fuck is a ferret? :B

It's a basic position for Weasyl, and how we start vetting staff. Basically they go through submissions and report violations and such, so we're never in the position where we have violations slipping by because people can't be bothered to report, but the admins aren't spending all their time hunting.
They also have access to a special part of the forum where we talk about the site policies, moderation philosophy, etc. They can talk directly to staff and offer ideas and suggestions.
Ferrets don't have to be staff if they don't want to, being a ferret doesn't make you a mod, but we only select or moderators from this group and coders.

It lets us get to know someone, show them how we do things and such before giving them the power to remove submissions or whatever. They also get other little benefits, which I'll be working on more in the future.

Lucy Bones
04-12-2013, 04:52 PM
So basically "Admin's bitch."

Sounds fun. :B

Fay V
04-12-2013, 05:02 PM
So basically "Admin's bitch."

Sounds fun. :B

it's worked out amazingly well thus far.

Lucy Bones
04-12-2013, 05:03 PM
I wish I had bitches.

Bitches n' hoes.

Grimfang
04-12-2013, 05:05 PM

Wolf-Bone and I are on good terms, despite me having been a mod on a forum he's banned on. It was a little rocky, but we're good, haha.

Lucy Bones
04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
It would seem that admins get to have big avatars, too.

I call dictatorship.

TangoDelahunt
04-12-2013, 06:08 PM
To be honest I'd be completely happy at 'ferret'.

Sanita

Taw
04-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Premium users also get larger avatars - admins aren't the only ones!

Though I did make my forum title comic sans and red.

As for stories about being an admin:

I used to be one of the admins of a site that become somewhat popular over the last few years, quit just before they changed their name and such.

Anyways, I was mostly in charge of moderating the graphics section, things like Signature of the Week competitions, making sure no one plagiarized existing work to make signatures for people and painting names on them, etc.

One of the higher up staff members had a shop where they sold signatures for in-game currency of a game the forums were about. Over the next year it was the biggest signature shop thread and he did a few hundred of them.

After a while my GFX team and I grew suspicious as his quality was decent, then jumped to some astounding works.

We did some reverse image lookups, discovered that the last four months he was slowly sneaking in others' work that was untitled, or covering up any names and such in signatures and selling them to people.

I promptly brought this up with the owner, who banned him from the forum section. I felt this wasn't really a suitable punishment as he was still a higher up staff who had cheated over sixty people custom signatures and such and used existing work from other artists on the internet.

A month later he convinced the owner to let him back onto the graphic section. I didn't like this decision, especially when he entered the SOTW competition.

He had the nerve to rip another person's work for it. We check each signature to make sure it's not stolen, and his was found on several sites; he just used the clone stamp tool to remove the artist's name.

Site owner banned him again from the section and then shortly after I left the site because I was getting too busy with school and work and I didn't agree with some choices that happened during my time there.

IntricateVision
04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
These stories should be in a book somewhere.
"Adventures in Administration"

....I don't really like sharing my adventures. The very short of it, was, I was a lower ranking admin under THE admin. And eventually the individual who I will call Mr. Silly-pants, tried to take over, start a coup and convince everyone that I and another admin had brainwashed them all into being on our side and following the rules we had developed. He then made it a habit to threaten to regularly hack the site after he was permabanned. Threatening the admin regularly through IMs and such. Making sock-puppet accounts to try and get back on.
For a couple months a large part of my job was just banning this one person.

It was special.

I've had other people blow up at me before and since. But never before was I accused of brainwashing, being tyrannical, or palnning a takeover. And for that, Mr. Silly-pants will always have a special place in my administrator history. :p

Fay V
04-26-2013, 11:19 AM
I'll never be an administrator or moderator for any website because of stories such as these. I've no patience for a lot of people, and tolerating the nonsense would be a great achievement for me. I'm an easy-going person, but I've no true people skills to be able to handle positions that require constant community interaction and regulation.
I really admire how you guys (and ladies) have been able to handle things.

For the most part it is not that difficult to me. If a user wants to be particularly troublesome it's pretty easy to approach a colleague and ask them to help you out. Eventually you learn to let some things go. I'll be honest in saying whenever I see someone explode at staff and go 'I'm leaving the site forever" I'm generally not that broken up about it.
Now if it's something where we actually have the chance to do something I want to act and help to prevent that, but there are a lot of people out there that just have very specific expectations and are insulted at the idea of following the rules of someone else's site, and they believe a temper tantrum will accomplish a site overhaul for them. Meh.

It's harder if there's interstaff problems. I know there was one staff I was on with someone I found insufferable and that made the work a nightmare, but life worked out in the end. In terms of weasyl I am happy to say the staff is quite nice and works together quite well. It makes the job much easier.

Aakosir
04-26-2013, 02:51 PM
I help with two pages on Facebook and am really enjoying it. There is one person though, that should not be an admin and really doesn't know how to deal with confrontation. Plus, they get their nose pushed out of joint a lot when others are just doing what they are supposed to.

Dark
05-02-2013, 01:09 AM

+1

Been at this whole staff thing for years; seen many sites rise and fall. Best advice ever.

Of course, it also helps if the owner isn't a manic depressive, nepotist idiot like the owner of the Sonic Community was. Zez would always promote retards who did nothing but worship another member, and said member would always get admin even after being banned in excess of 30 times and setting up 25 different alts to ban evade. The cycle was basically this:

1. Dramallamas involving Mly chasing new members away and generally being a retard who uses fancy English to hide the fact that his intelligence in a staff position is sorely lacking
2. Site dies
3. Zezima bans Mly
4. Zezima waits for site activity to pick back up -OR- Zezima advertises like mad to draw in new members
5. Mly gets unbanned once #3 has been achieved -OR- Zez enters depressive mode and unbans Mly while wallowing in self-pity
6. Mly and his followers get staff positions, Mly often being promoted to admin
7. Rules created to benefit the Mly clique and nobody else
8. Repeat

Sable Oximasoth
05-03-2013, 01:44 AM
Administering and moderating message boards is why I avoid them now. People love to say wonderfully pungent things on message boards. I don't think I've got quite the amount of experience some of you seem to have under your belt though. My stake in administering a board quickly fell over when all I was doing was putting out fires. Kudos to some of you all for having the fortitude to administer and moderate this and other big boards.

Colooring1977
05-25-2013, 05:42 AM
Well played.... no words to appreciate... so good

Term
05-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Administering and moderating message boards is why I avoid them now. People love to say wonderfully pungent things on message boards. I don't think I've got quite the amount of experience some of you seem to have under your belt though. My stake in administering a board quickly fell over when all I was doing was putting out fires. Kudos to some of you all for having the fortitude to administer and moderate this and other big boards.

Well part of it is being able to set the standard of conversation within a given community. Weasyl is in a unique position where we are a building community in which the staff of the site can impress upon our users that certain attitudes which are counter-productive towards building a stronger community won't be tolerated.

Part of that is certainly putting out fires. The other is attempting to interact with our community and set the tone through our example. Hopefully that rubs off here. But I'm sure that's similar to other places as well. A strong moderator presence with a core group of members who help set the example for everyone else.

Sparkyopteryx
05-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Well part of it is being able to set the standard of conversation within a given community. Weasyl is in a unique position where we are a building community in which the staff of the site can impress upon our users that certain attitudes which are counter-productive towards building a stronger community won't be tolerated.

Part of that is certainly putting out fires. The other is attempting to interact with our community and set the tone through our example. Hopefully that rubs off here. But I'm sure that's similar to other places as well. A strong moderator presence with a core group of members who help set the example for everyone else.

I can't agree with this sentiment more. Leading by example is the best way to build a decent and stable community from the ground up, and if the civility of the "higher ups" fall, then so too does the standards of the community. Creating a healthy (or unhealthy in some cases) precedent sets the tone for a website later on.

Rsyk
05-28-2013, 05:07 PM
This is something that has accidentally become a facet of my real job. Managing a community of sixty+ people can be exceedingly difficult, especially given the scope of interactions that we as the staff are not always privy too. We've no way to know when strife occurs between people other than to actually be there and hear about it from them, and everyone wants validation that they're "in the right" on...whatever.
Luckily we've never had to deal with this in the scope of anything that actual effects the events we're trying to plan, but we're pretty sure it's going to happen eventually.

The other thing is that it's taught me to be more patient with people I don't like, for entirely selfish reasons. Everyone is a possible customer, and when you're interacting with people it helps to remember that making a good impression on them could possibly be paying your rent next month, so it changed a lot of the ways in which I deal with people. I can't really afford to completely ignore someone when they say something incredibly stupid, racist, or that just angers me anymore because it's possible that they could be paying me at a later date. :/

Dark
06-18-2013, 07:21 AM
People are starting to open dating and adoption (as in pets) centers on the Creative server on MC.

Remind me again why I do this whole admin thing.

TangoDelahunt
06-18-2013, 08:41 AM
People are starting to open dating and adoption (as in pets) centers on the Creative server on MC.

Remind me again why I do this whole admin thing.

You secretly hate yourself for some past misdeed (this may have even been in your past life as John Wilkes Booth). Your subconscious is punishing you. It's okay, just go with it. Eventually you will free yourself from this purgatory. Just let it run it's course.

*Note: The following is a post rich in sarcasm. Unfortunately, internet forms have 'sarcasm dampeners' that blur the sarcasm levels of post, thus having obviously joking statements taken -way- out of context to create undo rage.

Dark
06-20-2013, 08:17 AM
That was so obviously sarcastic that you didn't even need to explain it, lol.

TangoDelahunt
06-20-2013, 09:08 AM
That was so obviously sarcastic that you didn't even need to explain it, lol.

Yeah, this is the internet. I've been bashed for obvious sarcasm being taken seriously before. Not taking chances hence the disclaimer.

Levi
12-21-2013, 12:27 PM
On my forum we don't really like it when people necropost, but we give numerous allowances to people who happen to resurrect a two-year-old thread if they have something intelligent to contribute to the discussion - this has actually happened - so here I am posting on a thread that has not seen activity in six months.

In my defense, I've been a moderator or admin on one forum for the past eight years and currently serve as an assistant admin and net admin on another small forum and a furry chat server.

Being a mod or admin is usually a pleasant experience as long as you don't decide to be a jerk to everyone and if you actually do your job. I don't do this as much as an admin since I really want the moderators to take care of this and I prefer to help arbitrate when they have a problem they cannot handle, or if it's something that according to our procedure is my responsibility anyway, but for years my job seemed to be to whip newcomers into shape if they were a little on the crazy side. In the vast majority of cases, it worked.

We've had our share of problems to be certain, but to prevent this from being a gossip post I'll keep details to a minimum. There was one member years ago that I had to reprimand because he was posting content that went against the publicly posted forum rules and standards. (This particular community is very religious and conservative, and we want to keep it that way, and we expect members to express themselves within the limits placed on them. He was being openly rebellious and daring us to do something about it. So I did.) He ended up ranting against me in public elsewhere, insisting that I should have bent the rules just for him.

I wasn't impressed and neither were any other members.

It teaches patience, for certain. Sometimes you have to vent a little by creating private moderator-only threads dedicated to one problem member in particular and commenting on his latest exploits, and sometimes you put together a "Gospel According to Moderators" (which I can share if you want). But you learn patience or flounder.

FlynnCoyote
01-08-2014, 09:22 AM
I joined a site called Heresy Online back in 2010. It's a tabletop wargaming forum and at the time I was heavily invested in this as a hobby so it seemed natural that I join a site for like minded people. It began my love of online forums and so I searched for a few other sites after about a month, and made acounts on three more. However Heresy had been my first real experience with forums and it had spoiled me, because the other three sites had something Heresy didn't; censorship. :/

Managed to get myself banned from almost every wargaming forum except Heresy, simply because I was somewhat crass and blunt on my way of talking. Apparently it appealed to Heresy's admin, because I became a mod after a year and a bit when the previous mod of my favourite section started trying to dictate how the site should be run.

So I began as most forum mods would, owning a few sections out of several dozen. Naturally my way of talking had me in one of two spots with other members, they either loved me or hated me. XD The first few months sucked, several members made obvious attempts to bait me, saying what a shame it was that I had been put on staff instead of someone they would have preferred (who it turned out didn't want the position). They seemed determined to drive me to quit, but it's been three years now. They're gone, and I am now a senior staff member with authority over the whole site. ;) I think having personal vendettas when you join staff is one of the worst things to deal with.

Other than that, there was a certain troll who managed to get himself banned early after my moderator promotion, and about a month later a new member joined. They quickly made enemies with the same jackass who tried to get me to quit, and said jackass began spreading the word that this new member was in fact the banned troll under a new name. Numerous times the staff checked ip and email references only to find no match, numerous times we observed completely different posting habits between the new poster and the banned poster. But this fucking jackass had already decided they were the same person and he spread this information as fact relentlessly.

Eventually the stress had turned the new member into a legit troll and she made certain posts that forced us to ban her. The whole ordeal took three or four weeks.

Ever since then I have cracked down on personal attacks between members pretty aggressively.

Hardrockangel
01-08-2014, 10:01 AM
I think the only site I have ever had some sort of an admin-position on was deviantART, when I volunteered for the Icons & Handhelds-gallery.
It was a pretty interesting thing to do as it gives you a glimpse into how the site functions as a whole, plus the CV-team was generally made up of really friendly and interesting people which made the chats that much greater.

The most memorable thing would have to be ... on my first day as a community volunteer, I featured an icon that I had found, which was (I thought) perfectly pixeled, animated and everything. Too good to be true, almost, that the icon hadn't been DD'd before even! So I scheduled it, it was posted and .... then I found out it was a ripped sprite from a game I had never heard of before or played. Needless to say I got some pretty "interesting" comments and notes after a snafu that big.

The best part of volunteering was getting in touch with the people of the community I was volunteering for and being a bit of a channel between the mods and users & vice-versa. I've gotten a better understanding of the community, but also of the mods.

Saiko
01-10-2014, 04:04 AM
I've very little experience administrating a website, but for a time I was active with a few XBox Live clans.

The interesting thing with this was that the "normal" members weren't the problem... it was other leaders (perhaps because 1/3 of the damned thing had some kind of "responsibility," myself included. Clan Derp began as a multi-game/branch but exploded because Captain Butthurt didn't like how Sir Moron behaved, so Butthurt left make his own clan. And then two of the tip-top-founder-persons got pissed at each other, so one left and made a third clan (this was the point where I just gave up and left). Meanwhile Butthurt's clan phased in and out, dying and then reviving itself with new members and new names every five months. Idiot-founder-person's clan did fairly well, and both repeatedly asked me to join up. At some point, roughly 18 months after I'd joined the original one my bunch of friends left to make a fourth clan. By this point I was not playing games a whole lot but agreed to join as the site manager, basically responsible for making the forum pretty and the rules coherent. They went and did their own thing on the console, occasionally signing up or maybe even posting on the site. After four months or so, all of them to my knowledge died out; and the site for each is a wasteland*. I estimate this final point being somewhere around July 2011, right when I got started on FAF.

*Note that I mysteriously got an email update from someone posting on the original clan's forum... I haven't managed to log in though. >_>

Ratte
01-10-2014, 03:27 PM
The only story I have was before screenshots were allowed on FA. Someone had posted a bunch en masse, so I pulled one and ask that they pull the rest. For some reason this one incident rubbed this guy the wrong way so hard he started PMing me, bitching up a storm, literally modifying things I said in my posts to inane shit (even though everything sent prior said what I did, herp derp), and there was seemingly no end in sight. After a while I just slapped them with a quick suspension (I'm talking like no longer than a week here) for harassment. He then comes back afterward claiming that I changed his profile mood while I did so. That is so unbelievably petty it hadn't even crossed my mind.

Later that day I found that he made a "hate list" of various users on his profile and had posted a journal about these bullshit accusations about the mood changing, which nobody had record of me doing in the first place and I don't see why I'd bring myself that low just to change an option in a dropdown that nobody reads anyway.

Dude was fucking crazy. He got told to leave me alone by someone else shortly thereafter. Seriously, the only problem user I've dealt with on FA.

On e6 we had a guy who would cry racism about anything, usually tribal fetishry posts, but then proceed to be racist to everyone else and didn't see a problem. I ended up handling that one and, due to his stubbornness to actually listen to the rules, he wound up with a 6 month ban. All because he was quite literally refusing (and saying so, might I add) to follow the rules, because he felt he was exempt.

Lordy.

Ley
01-10-2014, 08:27 PM
You guys know the tumblr Artist-Confessions? Its got 15,000 followers.
(http://artist-confessions.tumblr.com/)
I suddenly became the Admin after both the main admins freakin abandoned ship. For three months I went through 2k Submissions by myself, with all sorts of shit thrown at me because 'I Wasn't doing it right.'

Now I've seen it go from 14k to 15k followers under my 'rule'.

My most memorable thing i where I had an entire confession dedicated to how awful I was because I'd sig it as 'catty anon' when anonymous confessions were posted about how shitty an artist and their art was. I got anon hate for a few weeks for it. Pretty dumb.