PDA

View Full Version : [FORUM] More Forum Sections/Subsection...

Pony King
07-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Greetings, first I want to say that I'm really looking forward to the main site. ^^

The reason for this post is that I think there should be more forum sections & subsection to better organize the forums. I'll start with the art section and work my way up.

ART SECTION

The following is my attempt at minimizing the number of forum sections/duplication names yet still making the forums more user friendly.

Art Section

General - Section for art games and general art discussion.
Marketplace
Critique - critique and help section for art

Writing
Drawing/Painting
Photography
Crafts - Sewing, knitting, sculpture, other forms of art, etc.

Tutorial

Writing
Drawing/Painting
Photography
Crafts

Requests and Trades - Can probably get away with leaving this area open and not breaking it down further.

*General: There just needs to be a general section for any art related topics to go in. Like the art introduction thread started by Samael or the art game thread started by Gibby, which is currently in the Fandom section. The section should not be for just posting one's art! It should be community activities/games/discussion related to art. Not "LOOK AT MY ARTS", threads.

*Writing, Drawing/Painting, Photography, Crafts - From a user friendly standpoint having the critique/tutorial sections break down into different art categories just makes sense. People who don't care about photography or crafts don't want to sift through that sort of material. Bunching them together will just make things harder on your users.

** It also might be beneficial to separate the critique and tutorials section (like the above) as I can see it being annoying for someone who only wants tutorials to have to sift through critique threads as well. But, that could just be me over thinking things.

*** I forgot to add a 3d art section, woops.

The art section could also be split up like the following. I dislike this format simply because it then makes sense to have each art category have a general section that you enter by clicking each parent section. Which if I remember correctly (or am assuming correctly) Weasyl doesn't want to split up the art forms too much. Also with this format it makes more sense to put the the Request/Trades into each category as well. Which again, I'm apposed to.

Art Section

General - Section for art games and general art discussion.
Marketplace
Writing

Critique
Tutorials

Drawing/Painting

Critique
Tutorials

Photography

Critique
Tutorials

Crafts

Critique
Tutorials

Requests And Trades

The General Discussion

Welcome Center
General Chat
Entertainment

General - category for any of the categories not specified below
Movies

Games

Technology

Gadgets - PC's, laptops,tvs,mobile phones, etc, etc
Code - Section for coders of course :P

Fandom

General - for any of the categories not specified below
Fandom 1
Fandom 2

RolePlaying

*Entertainment - It would probably be beneficial to list at least the main three sources of entertainment. (movies, music, games)

*Technology - You guys might have better ideas, but I think the Technology thread should be split into a section for devices and a section for people who like to code.
*Fandom - To avoid drama it would probably be best to split this up into some general categories. Not too sure how you'd want to approach this, but having a singular fandom section is just too broad. I'm sure you could get away with just anime and furry. (Though I bet you'd soon have to add a Brony section. :P )

Perhaps, implement a system where users vote/petition for a fandom forum section and if enough people are interested it then create it? Otherwise you could list every fandom out there and it would just be mayhem. with entire sections having one thread.

Weasyl Discussion

News and Updates
Site & Forum Support
Site Discussion/Suggestion

The only thing I can think to add to improve the Weasyl section is to add "/Suggestions" to the end of Site Discussion to make it more obvious what the section is used for. Which, when the main site goes live you may need to split up into "Forum Discussion/Suggestion" & "Weasyl.com Discussion/Suggestion".

** I've never used Vbulletin before so I'm not sure to what extent you can do things. How information can be split up on the root forum page, etc. If at all possible it might be more beneficial to have, as an example, the art section break down into their own entirely separate sections for critique/tutorials which then list the art categories right on the front page. Just a thought. ^^
*** Quick Note - The general section under each Category should be the list of threads you see when you click on the parent section. Ie. If I click on Fandom, I should then see a list of threads for the General Fandom section, and above it the option to go into sub-forums like "Fandom 1" or "Fandom 2", etc.

Anyways this was just my suggestion, if anyone out there has some better ideas you should contribute as well. :) (Oh and sorry for any typos/horrible sentences, in a bit of a rush atm and I wanted to get this up as soon as I could.)

OnyxSerpent
07-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Maybe change "Crafts" to "Other Mediums" or somesuch instead? That way 3d is included.

Kitten
07-29-2012, 07:28 PM
I don't think the forum really needs to be shifted at the moment, because it's just starting. I mean, as it grows and it becomes apparent that people latch onto specific subjects that would justify taking them and putting them into a separate forum, sure, but... idk, forums that have a lot of mostly- (if not completely-)empty sub-forums irk me, I guess.

Demu
07-29-2012, 07:34 PM
I agree with Kitten - having too many subforums can really dissolve a community. I think things are fine the way they are now. When more people start coming about, maybe then we'll have a need for more subforums. :)

Pony King
07-29-2012, 09:27 PM
hmm I can see your point. If anything I don't feel this needs to happen right now, but when the main site goes live there should at least be better forums for the art section.

Taw
07-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks for this post! We're actually looking into different possibilities to change the forums and such and we'll definitely keep this in mind. :3

piņardilla
07-31-2012, 02:52 PM
To keep from making yet another thread on subforums, I'll say it here: I'd be interested in seeing a "Serious Business" (it doesn't have to really be called that) forum or possibly General Chat subforum for discussing news, current events, politics, etc.

Threadtags might also be useful in art forums for common types of threads, e.g. Buying, Selling, Critique, etc.

Tiger
07-31-2012, 03:01 PM
To keep from making yet another thread on subforums, I'll say it here: I'd be interested in seeing a "Serious Business" (it doesn't have to really be called that) forum or possibly General Chat subforum for discussing news, current events, politics, etc.

I was actually going to suggest something similar to this. A Debate/Discussion subforum. I used to go to another forum and they had that as a section. It needed a lot of specific rules, but it was one of my favorite boards of the forum. It required posts that were at least 2 full paragraphs and encouraged citation of sources used, as it is important to back up what you are saying. Topics had to be legitimately be appropriate for a full discussion. Examples could be something like the current Presidential Race in the USA, the Greek athlete banned for a racist Tweet, the Trayvon Martin case, etc. It led to many in-depth discussions and I really enjoyed it.

Which, now that I write it, sounds exactly like Pinardilla's suggestion xD So ya, I totally support his idea.

piņardilla
07-31-2012, 03:06 PM
I was actually going to suggest something similar to this. A Debate/Discussion subforum. I used to go to another forum and they had that as a section. It needed a lot of specific rules, but it was one of my favorite boards of the forum. It required posts that were at least 2 full paragraphs and encouraged citation of sources used, as it is important to back up what you are saying. Topics had to be legitimately be appropriate for a full discussion. Examples could be something like the current Presidential Race in the USA, the Greek athlete banned for a racist Tweet, the Trayvon Martin case, etc. It led to many in-depth discussions and I really enjoyed it.

Which, now that I write it, sounds exactly like Pinardilla's suggestion xD So ya, I totally support his idea.

I don't know that I like the two-paragraph rule. I'm typically pretty succinct, and like to make use of infographics and such to illustrate my point. A general no low-content posting would seem to be sufficient to me, though I could see having a two-paragraph rule for the first post in the thread.

Tiger
07-31-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't know that I like the two-paragraph rule. I'm typically pretty succinct, and like to make use of infographics and such to illustrate my point. A general no low-content posting would seem to be sufficient to me, though I could see having a two-paragraph rule for the first post in the thread.

I think with the two-paragraph thing is that it allows for more discussion if a poster posts more material. There's really not much to talk about if someone posts just three or four lines.

But I do like the idea of infographics. Some people are better visual learners and I think having illustrations can be an excellent way to make a point.

FishNChips
07-31-2012, 03:29 PM
I vote no on debate and the like.

That's what made FAF go a bit shit IMO. At times there was tension, drama, people getting permabanned, people learning to hate each other. I personally don't fancy that repeating itself.

Aetius
07-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Maybe a "Links" or something sub forum would be good for here. A place for people to post out of site browser games and a place to put links for livestreams.

Fiz
07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Tags: Something that can be done. There are already tags in Site and Forum Support. I guess we can see if we'll add them to other forums and what kind of tags to add.

Serious Business/Debate Forum: I'll say no to that. If someone has something serious to say, it can be said in general discussion. A debate forum just looks like it would be looking for trouble, to me. Basically what Gibby Said,

Links SubForm: I don't really see the point, links can be thrown up in entertainment. Livestreaming and games are entertaining, correct?

piņardilla
08-01-2012, 12:39 AM
I vote no on debate and the like.

That's what made FAF go a bit shit IMO. At times there was tension, drama, people getting permabanned, people learning to hate each other. I personally don't fancy that repeating itself.

FAF has Rants and Raves, the title of which invited users to post topics that they had a lot of emotional attachment to. Make it "Serious Business" or something along those lines, lay down a few subforum-specific ground rules, maybe appoint a subforum mod, and the problem should hopefully be minimized.

There's a limit to how many "What's your favorite animal?" threads you can post in before it simply gets banal. Having conversation topics with substance is a good thing.

Aetius
08-01-2012, 12:59 AM
I personally would be for a debate sub-forum/ranting and raving sub forum.

In my opinion, as long as the community is reasonable and not quick to get overly angry, they usually are pretty nice to see and have. Jut as Lobar Pinardilla said, maybe just lay down some ground rules as well as having a mod to make sure people do not start harassing each other.

Taw
08-01-2012, 03:30 AM
We can look into more serious discussion forums for things, but I don't believe something similar to FAF's Rants and Raves would be a good idea - promoting negativity (at least, that's how that section comes off to me as) is quite a bad thing to do.

I'll discuss with the rest of the Forum Support team regarding it and see what we can do - added to my to-do list.

Unburnt Daenerys
08-01-2012, 10:53 PM
I do like the idea of a Serious Business forum, if only so those kinds of discussions don't clog up General. It would have to be very mod heavy, and disallow personal attacks, low-content posts, and no trolling.

As for Livestreaming, isn't the main site supposed to support a banner feature specifically for stream advertisements? Seems kind of redundant to also have those on the forums.

As for subdividing the Art Section, I think that's a bit too much for a start-up art site. Maybe if Weasyl explodes in popularity, but even DeviantART couldn't keep that many subsections up and running. I do think that Writing needs it's own subforum, though.

Ben
08-02-2012, 01:06 AM
I would think the Livestream megathread would just be temporary thing until the site goes up.

As for serious discussion, threads about world news (we can have a megathread for news that isn't that noteworthy, but still worth sharing) or serious debate topics are free to be made in General, since you know, it is the General forum. The only stipulation is that everyone try to keep the discussion civil and levelheaded, and to view it as an exchanging of ideas and viewpoints, rather than an excuse to claw each others' eyes out. So yes, threads of real substance are allowed, there's just no specific subsection for it at the moment.