PDA

View Full Version : Forum Suggestion Signatures

Mayhem
02-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Ok it was brought up in another thread but none of the admins mentioned it there.

Can we get a limit on size of signatures and maybe a limit on annoying flashing large ones too?

I keep seeing people upload things that are so HUGE I thought it was part of thier post as a picture.

Was half temped to change my signature to show you what I mean but I cant be that annoying.

Term
02-28-2013, 03:56 PM
We've already addressed the issue as you can see at the top of the forum page with the "We've added a new rule..." announcement concerning signatures.

I believe our rules on flashing images with submissions also apply to signatures and avatars.

Taw
02-28-2013, 04:00 PM
I recently added a tool that auto-resizes external images in posts and signatures if they are wider than 500 pixels, this should help cut down on the issue.

Additionally, a new rule was put in place in the Forum Rules yesterday regarding signatures.

This rule states:

9. Do not use signatures that stretch the page or are an excessive file size.

Signatures should not be excessive in size, file size or image(s).
Images should not be large enough to be in the megabytes for size - this adds unnecessary loading time to all users browsing our forums.

The limits were kept vague because strict numbers and such on limits can be frustrating to work with.

If you do see an obnoxious signature or one that you think shouldn't belong on the forums, please report the post and write down for the reason "Inappropriate signature" or something along these lines and the forum team will try and handle it.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think we'll do any hard limits in the near future. c:

Sparky15756
02-28-2013, 09:10 PM
To be fair, I didn't even notice my signature was resized but it's still got the same information as before so it's no major loss to me xD

Onnes
02-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Is 500 pixels also the allowed vertical resolution?

Mayhem
02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
We've already addressed the issue as you can see at the top of the forum page with the "We've added a new rule..." announcement concerning signatures.

I believe our rules on flashing images with submissions also apply to signatures and avatars.

I recently added a tool that auto-resizes external images in posts and signatures if they are wider than 500 pixels, this should help cut down on the issue.

Additionally, a new rule was put in place in the Forum Rules yesterday regarding signatures.

This rule states:

The limits were kept vague because strict numbers and such on limits can be frustrating to work with.

If you do see an obnoxious signature or one that you think shouldn't belong on the forums, please report the post and write down for the reason "Inappropriate signature" or something along these lines and the forum team will try and handle it.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think we'll do any hard limits in the near future. c:

I LUVS YOU GEEEYYYYZZZ!!
Sounds great to me. I totally get the not wanting to restrain it cus it does become a pain. But some people just have to ruin it. I like the new rule and I love the fact that something was done.

Taw
02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Is 500 pixels also the allowed vertical resolution?

Nope, only affects the width. Though massively long signatures should scale appropriately and be re sized as well after a certain threshold. I'll test it out in a bit and see what the results are.

I LUVS YOU GEEEYYYYZZZ!!
Sounds great to me. I totally get the not wanting to restrain it cus it does become a pain. But some people just have to ruin it. I like the new rule and I love the fact that something was done.

No problem. c: We try our best to be fair and take in all suggestions and critique and apply it accordingly. If you have any further suggestions regarding signatures or the forums feel free to let us know!