PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Ability to adjust whether favorites are shared or not

oddfox
02-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Hey everyone I'm new to the forums as of today and relatively new to the site itself having been aware of it for a while though. I'm really liking what I see here, the site runs great and it has very nice functionality at this point. However, I had a small suggestion that might help with privacy here on the site and that's allowing users the option in their profiles to choose two or more different levels of sharing of their favorites. Something like what FA has which IIRC is like enabled to share for everyone, enabled to share to people logged in, disabled to share with anyone.

This might seem like a small and weird thing for someone to request, but as the victim of someone deciding to try to publicly throw dirt out about me by digging it up through my profiles online, this is really a helpful feature to have. You never know who might go and use someone's favorites gallery against them with or without their knowledge. I'm comfortable with sharing a good deal about myself online, but frankly I don't think I should have to share my favorite pieces of art on a website, and if I can't make them private somehow I just might not do it on a significant amount of said pieces of art. Thankfully I didn't have to do a purge of my FA favorites or anything like that because once I noticed what was going on I decided to make them completely private, and favorites management on FA is horrible as I'm sure everyone here is aware of. People can lose their jobs and have other serious repercussions to someone deciding to send an e-mail dump with a bunch of potentially damaging information, it's already a popular tactic of "dox"ers to send whatever they can to whatever family members they can find, which is why I acted so quickly to secure my FA account and hope I can eventually do the same to my Weasyl account.

Thanks for reading and I hope this site and it's maintainers keep up the good work. :)

EDIT: Just wanted to put this here since I checked it out and noticed that the FA settings are "hide favorites" "hide everything/hide adult/hide mature and adult/show everything"

foxboyprower
03-21-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd love to see this feature. Maybe there could be folders that only the user could see. Because over time I get a lot of stuff in my favorites that I'd rather not share with others. This is a great idea.

GoldieMegaFan1987
03-21-2013, 10:50 AM
I know I'm really off topic but I'm a new user where do I go to complete my registration?

GoldieMegaFan1987
03-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Sorry for my previous reply. But you got a really good idea there ^w^

Zorrito
01-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Agreed. This would definitely tip my scale

oddfox
01-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Funny, I was just looking for and at this thread earlier wondering if I should bump it, because I still really really want this feature. Glad to hear from yet another person who feels it would be a good feature to have. The need for this kind of privacy hasn't gone away, but I can't imagine it would be terribly easy to code for. Then again, I haven't done web development outside of HTML tags in an incredibly long time, so it's not a very educated guess! :)

terribad
01-22-2014, 09:12 PM
This feature would make me very happy if implemented!

sethtriggs
01-22-2014, 11:05 PM
I endorse this feature as well!

-Seth

sambeawesome
01-22-2014, 11:08 PM
I support this idea :D

Curious, is there a way to organize favorites at the moment? I quite like folders on Deviantart so I can keep themed things together.