PDA

View Full Version : I got banned from the weasyl IRC channel just for being boring and submitting a link.

Grandvision
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Some stupid ass moderator just outright banned me on the #weasyl IRC channel because I submitted this link - bit.ly/13fhTyn

And his reason was "You're boring" Really? Can you stop recruiting stupid mods and actually read through their applications and assess them, this is just like the admins over at FA and the reason I joined weasyl is so it would be something different from FA but so far it isn't, the admin part that is, the rest is fine. I am seriously considering leaving because this is not how you attract or treat people that join your site, sure it's free but you still need to act professional even if you are being a mod/admin for free, you are representing you and your company. LEARN FOR FUCK SAKE.

That's my rant for the day.

Lizard King
02-26-2013, 01:08 PM
bit.ly/13fhTyn

And his reason was "You're boring"

Given where that link goes, I think the translation is, "You're a crappy troll, go away".

Needs more context.

Grandvision
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Given where that link goes, I think the translation is, "You're a crappy troll, go away".

Needs more context.

It was just a funny image that I thought would be interesting to share. How can you get butthurt about it since it had no context to it at all.

Damian
02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Is the Weasyl IRC even related to the site? I thought it was just the same as a Skype group. People on Weasyl just happen to be a part of it.

catalepsy
02-26-2013, 01:47 PM
It was just a funny image that I thought would be interesting to share. How can you get butthurt about it since it had no context to it at all.

I think the complaint is exactly that you're posting out-of-context meme images with no purpose (see also: your signature). Maybe if you discussed Weasyl on the Weasyl IRC, you would be more well-received.

nanakisan
02-26-2013, 02:46 PM
My issue when reading this. Is this IRC channel officially supported? Cause if it isn't. If its fan driven. It makes logical sense you are there to talk about weasyl related things. Not post out of context image macros. Even if you thought it was funny.

However given my own personal nature. I feel the ban was extremely premature. The moderator in charge should have verbally warned you 1st. Had you persisted he should have kicked. do it again then yeah i could see a reason to ban. So there are obviously two sides to this coin.

Fay V
02-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Just to inform everyone here. The weasyl IRC is not official to Weasyl, which means that we are not responsible for the way it is run.
This is true of other chat platforms as well, we do not have an official skype, steam, or whatever that is monitored and sanctioned under the staff CoC. Our staff might take part, but it's not official.

Mayhem
02-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Fay, Is there a way that Weasyl can get its on IRC then and get mods that are active and dont cause problems like that? I am sure there would be people who like using those things that would be able to monitor it for weasyl

catalepsy
02-26-2013, 03:31 PM
get mods that are active and dont cause problems like that? I am sure there would be people who like using those things that would be able to monitor it for weasyl

I don't really see a problem caused by the moderator here. In fact, the moderator was performing an appropriate task: removing a source of pointless noise from the channel. There are plenty of other IRC channels where 4chan memes like "u mad butthurt" is welcome (irc.furnet.org #lulz comes to mind); unofficial Weasyl IRC is simply not the place.

nanakisan
02-26-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't really see a problem caused by the moderator here. In fact, the moderator was performing an appropriate task: removing a source of pointless noise from the channel. There are plenty of other IRC channels where 4chan memes like "u mad butthurt" is welcome (irc.furnet.org #lulz comes to mind); unofficial Weasyl IRC is simply not the place.

Such is the issue with Unofficially sanctioned areas. They run by their own rules. Yes you agree now. But later on people are going to keep forgetting they are not sanctioned. They will keep blaming weasyls staff. which is something not even i would want to have happen.

Fay V
02-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Fay, Is there a way that Weasyl can get its on IRC then and get mods that are active and dont cause problems like that? I am sure there would be people who like using those things that would be able to monitor it for weasyl
It is not something we are entirely against, and we're not saying that we will never have official chats associated with the sites, however at the moment our mods are extremely busy. If we were to make a chat, we would need to ensure we have enough mods to consistently be on the chats and consistently apply Weasyl rules. We don't have that man power right now and it will take some time to assess proper mods to do the job without overworking our staff as is.
So in short, we aren't rejecting the idea outright, but it isn't a high priority.

Such is the issue with Unofficially sanctioned areas. They run by their own rules. Yes you agree now. But later on people are going to keep forgetting they are not sanctioned. They will keep blaming weasyls staff. which is something not even i would want to have happen.

There's not really a way for this not to be a problem. We're not going to hunt down each chat that tries to associate itself with Weasyl to make them stop, we don't have the time for manpower to make an official outlet for every medium possible. We've had people wanting skype, steam, aim, IRC, etc. each offer their own challenges and issues.
People are going to get confused, and we'll keep making it clear exactly what our official areas are, but I don't think we'll be able to stop people mistaking something for official until we have a much bigger site and staff.

Onnes
02-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Whatever this forum's limitations on giant animated signature gifs are, they are surely not strict enough.

Term
02-26-2013, 08:42 PM
There's not really a way for this not to be a problem. We're not going to hunt down each chat that tries to associate itself with Weasyl to make them stop, we don't have the time for manpower to make an official outlet for every medium possible. We've had people wanting skype, steam, aim, IRC, etc. each offer their own challenges and issues.
People are going to get confused, and we'll keep making it clear exactly what our official areas are, but I don't think we'll be able to stop people mistaking something for official until we have a much bigger site and staff.

Just going to add on to this.

If a chat or group were to ever get started, we would make sure to notify the public of it. So as a general rule of thumb, unless we make mention of it through an announcement or give it as a link at the bottom of our front page, no matter how anyone tries to spin it, it is not an official Weasyl entity.

Mayhem
02-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Whatever this forum's limitations on giant animated signature gifs are, they are surely not strict enough.

Maybe a size parameter has to be put in at least

To Term and Fay
Thank you both for responding to that. It will be really nice after everything is up and running. Whenever you open up applications again I am going to apply for a forum mod position for sure.
I like the fact both of you decided to respond also.

nanakisan
02-26-2013, 09:18 PM

The most you can do. I have done this in the past myself. Is make it clear in the forums rules especially in its FAQ. That unless fully sanctioned. Complaints regarding the Weasyl IRC channel. Cannot be handled here.

Another thing is. I would actually issue a warning to staff members of the site. That if they should choose to work as staff at this IRC. Then they are basically accepting the responsibility to accept all complaints directed at the site. Among accepting the consequence should something go ary. They are staff of the website. Not staff to the IRC. Their duties as staff come first to the website at all times.

Term
02-26-2013, 10:43 PM
The most you can do. I have done this in the past myself. Is make it clear in the forums rules especially in its FAQ. That unless fully sanctioned. Complaints regarding the Weasyl IRC channel. Cannot be handled here.

Another thing is. I would actually issue a warning to staff members of the site. That if they should choose to work as staff at this IRC. Then they are basically accepting the responsibility to accept all complaints directed at the site. Among accepting the consequence should something go ary. They are staff of the website. Not staff to the IRC. Their duties as staff come first to the website at all times.

We're planning on clarifying this issue to the public in one of our future announcements. To specifically mention the IRC would be to legitimize it, and doesn't address the larger issue on the whole, which is that users are being misled by other users into believing anything that says "Weasyl" suddenly means we're in control of it.

To your second point, no, our staff does not assume responsibility to answer any and all questions concerning Weasyl. That chat is a private, unaffiliated entity. Though it may have the title of "Weasyl" the staff who are a part of that chat have acknowledged that it is not an official entity. Their responsibilities to directly respond to technical or other issues extend only through our support e-mail and the forums. They may direct you to either one of those in the IRC, but as far as fully answering any and all inquires, we place no such requirement on them for that.

In short, we are all volunteers here trying to build a better art site. What our staff does outside of our officially sanctioned outlets including our Tumblr, Twitter, forums, and Weasyl proper is not the concern of the rest of the Weasyl staff. Unless there's an issue where a staff member may be harassing an user of Weasyl on that or some other unofficial chat, we will not pass judgement on what Weasyl staff should or shouldn't do in what is essentially their private time.

Though we do have a high standard of personal conduct that we expect from our staff while responding to inquiries and interacting with users on site, Weasyl is not their first priority, their own personal lives are. We do not demand of our staff to place Weasyl as a first priority in everything that they do, and the amount of time and effort they've put in to get us to where we are today, I believe, is a testament to how much we all care about this site. We only ask that you use our official outlets such as our forums or support@weasyl.com e-mail to offer suggestions, voice a complaint, or report issues with the site so we can properly respond to them.

Fay V
02-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Maybe a size parameter has to be put in at least

To Term and Fay
Thank you both for responding to that. It will be really nice after everything is up and running. Whenever you open up applications again I am going to apply for a forum mod position for sure.
I like the fact both of you decided to respond also.

Keep an eye out for Ferret applications. All our moderators are selected from our ferret pool. If you would like a position on staff then you'll need to apply and work as a ferret first. We'll have more positions in the future but there's no ETA on that.

To add to Term's response.

I don't personally ask all staff to put Weasyl first. As he said this is voluntary and work, school, etc come first. So long as a staff member is meeting their work goals and is contributing to the site, as well as following our SCoC it isn't our place to say what is first in their mind.

Grandvision
02-27-2013, 04:27 AM
I never been a part of or visited b or 4chan. I just like some of the memes and thought that one was interesting to share, I wasn't even poking it anyone. The mod was clearly a hater of memes or just immature to just outright ban me without giving a good reason. As far as I concerned FIZ was channel OP In the channel so I was thinking it was the official channel for weasyl so I am guessing he was acknowledging that it existed and he was willing to take responsibility for it but it seems two admins in here so far have denied this claim, so for now I won't blame the Weasyl staff for this matter but it is still a good lesson to learn from all this. If you're an admin you need to represent your product/site in a way that does not negate users from checking it out or even outright hating it due to inexperience in being a "proper" moderator.

null offset
02-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Seconding the request for limits on ridiculous animated forum signatures :) For now, AdBlock it is.

Fiz
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
I never been a part of or visited b or 4chan. I just like some of the memes and thought that one was interesting to share, I wasn't even poking it anyone. The mod was clearly a hater of memes or just immature to just outright ban me without giving a good reason. As far as I concerned FIZ was channel OP In the channel so I was thinking it was the official channel for weasyl so I am guessing he was acknowledging that it existed and he was willing to take responsibility for it but it seems two admins in here so far have denied this claim, so for now I won't blame the Weasyl staff for this matter but it is still a good lesson to learn from all this. If you're an admin you need to represent your product/site in a way that does not negate users from checking it out or even outright hating it due to inexperience in being a "proper" moderator.

Basically repeating what everyone else said.

I understand the confusion, but yea, it's not an official channel. There's been confusion about this sort of thing before, just with other protocols (steam, skype, etc.) The channel was registered to keep anyone else from grabbing the name up, and we ended up just occupying (Occupy #Weasyl Street!) it because we're already on other channels on that server.

I really wasn't around when this happened, but I've lifted the ban for now, so you can come back if you want to.

And BTW, I'm a girl :>

Grandvision
03-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Basically repeating what everyone else said.

I understand the confusion, but yea, it's not an official channel. There's been confusion about this sort of thing before, just with other protocols (steam, skype, etc.) The channel was registered to keep anyone else from grabbing the name up, and we ended up just occupying (Occupy #Weasyl Street!) it because we're already on other channels on that server.

I really wasn't around when this happened, but I've lifted the ban for now, so you can come back if you want to.

And BTW, I'm a girl :>

Oh yeah? Then I am a ten feet tall elephant octopus that breathes fire.

ShadWolf
03-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Perhaps it might be a good idea to ask the Ops who manage the unofficial IRC channel to state in it's MOTD that it isn't managed officially by Weasyl staff, that is… until an official one is declared that is being managed by Weasyl staff here from an announcement notice on the site.

catalepsy
03-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Oh yeah? Then I am a ten feet tall elephant octopus that breathes fire.

If this is your normal mode of discourse, it is exactly the kind of thing that tends to result in people banning you from IRC channels.

I think this thread has gone past its useful lifespan, so I'm closing it. In the future, please consider your signal-to-noise ratio, and try to keep it more towards the "signal" side of things.