PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros.

CaptainEllipsis
02-25-2013, 10:06 PM
64, Melee, Brawl, and of course, the ever popular Brawl mods.
Anyone else here into the Smash franchise?

I'm really excited to see what Sakurai says about SSB4 at E3 this year, even if we don't get a trailer.
Apart from that, my favorite one so far would be Brawl (specifically Brawl Minus, because it's ridiculous fun). I'm not a huge fan of Project M, but eh.

But yeah, thoughts?

RogueSareth
02-25-2013, 10:19 PM
I can't wait for it! I've been playing Smash bros since it came out ( They made a copy of the N64 version for the SNES) and Brawl was a really popular game when I was in college ( we had tournaments :D)

KaneQuicktail
02-25-2013, 10:31 PM
I love Brawl for the massive amounts of playable characters, but the first one will always have a special place in my heart... and college dorm.

Toshabi
02-25-2013, 10:46 PM
I can't wait to hear about the new smash game coming out. All they need to really do is take out tripping and I'm more than positive that the new game will be the best of the series.

Hlavco
02-25-2013, 11:47 PM
I prefer Melee over Brawl. Brawl redesigned a lot of the characters to resemble their latest game appearances, while Melee sort of had its own look... Bowser and Yoshi were particularly cool. Gameplay-wise, Brawl just seemed to have too many distractions. I feel like the Smash Balls and to a lesser extent the Dragoon parts cause the main battle to come to a screeching halt. Also Melee had Pichu.

From an atmosphere standpoint, my favorite is the N64 version. I like its lighthearted partyish vibe more than the "epicness" the sequels go for. I feel like it also had some of the best levels (oddly, the ones that weren't repeated for Melee).

My request for the next Smash Bros game? Let Mario's fireball go more than two feet in front of him again. No idea why they decided to nerf that.

Toshabi
02-26-2013, 12:01 AM
Gameplay-wise, Brawl just seemed to have too many distractions. I feel like the Smash Balls and to a lesser extent the Dragoon parts cause the main battle to come to a screeching halt. Also Melee had Pichu.

People play with items?

And yes, I got to say that their choice to take out characters was poorly made. Too bad Pichu was... very very gimped.

Hlavco
02-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Pichu was my main. Much stronger than pikachu... you just have to not get hit.

I like some items better than no items. At my house we set it to Low, and just turn off healing items, invulnerability items, and hammers/assist trophies/Smash Balls.

But I'm okay with no-items fighting if that's how they do it where I'm playing.

RogueSareth
02-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Pichu was my main. Much stronger than pikachu... you just have to not get hit.

I like some items better than no items. At my house we set it to Low, and just turn off healing items, invulnerability items, and hammers/assist trophies/Smash Balls.

But I'm okay with no-items fighting if that's how they do it where I'm playing.

Speaking of mains, who does everyone usually play as?

I typically go for Pikachu, though I liked playing as Sheikh in Brawl

Toshabi
02-26-2013, 12:48 AM
Lucas.

CaptainEllipsis
02-26-2013, 02:32 AM

In SSB64, Falcon, Kirby, and Fox
Melee: Falco, Link, and Falcon
Brawl: Luigi, Zero suit, and Falcon

Not sure if brawl mods count, but:
Brawl +: Falcon, Samus
Brawl Minus: Falcon, Luigi, Pit
Project M: Link, Luigi, Ivysaur

Not sure if it's obvious enough, but I like playing with Captain falcon :p He's fast, aggressive, and just fun to play xD

ShadWolf
02-26-2013, 07:29 AM
I've played from the very first N64 version right through to Brawl and waiting for the new one thats yet to come out ^_^ I love the games, it's very unique to other fighting games that has a more easier flow to it, none of that button bashing stuff like you do in Street Fighter or Tekken to pull of crazy combos or specials.

N64 Super Smash Bros. I play as;

Fox McCloud
Pikachu
Captain Falcon

GC Super Smash Bros. Melee I play as;

Bowser
Pikachu
Fox McCloud
Captain Falcon
Mewtwo

Wii Super Smash Bros. Brawl I play as;

Pikachu
Bowser
Lucario
Fox McCloud
Captain Falcon
Snake

I don't like playing with mods in the games cuz it just kills it for me.

In Brawl I love using the Pitfalls and Home Run Bats as the only usable items, I've created a bunch of levels made just for them. xD

Ibuuyk
02-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Aw man, this serie is the only fighting serie other than Soul Calibur that I love. SSB64 I didn't like so much but Melee? Must have spent hundreds of hours on that thing, and even more in Brawl. Haven't played it in years though, but I'm hyped about the new one.

In Brawl I' use Wolf when I wanted to play on the Offensive, Pit when on the Defensive and Link when I was just screwing around.

KaneQuicktail
02-26-2013, 02:33 PM

SSB - Fox, Samus, Kirby
SSBM - Samus, Fox, Link
SSBB - Wolf, Samus, Luigi

Damn, I wish I still had my Wii. Itching to play some Brawl now.

Hlavco
02-26-2013, 09:35 PM
N64 - Kirby, Ness
Melee - Pichu, Ness, Mario
Brawl - Ness, Lucario, Pikachu

Ness is basically awesome.

Tiger
02-26-2013, 10:19 PM
N64 I was Fox, Melee I was Fox, and Brawl my two mains are Falco and Pokemon Trainer. I love Falco's reflector, I'll spam it and push people across the stage. Pokemon Trainer I just downright love, the ability to toggle between character types is fun.

When my friends and I Brawl we always turn items off. Smash Balls are so damned irritating. :|

And I am forever sad because my 99% complete Melee game got wiped (I had everything except two trophies), along with many other game files including an almost complete Wind Waker file.

Rilvor
02-27-2013, 04:24 AM
I've owned them all throughout my entire life, played all of them for hundreds of hours with and without friends.

In my opinion none of them are the best; Each one has individual merits and styles that separates itself so much from the others that it isn't proper to compare them.

These days I don't play much anymore; I am [That Guy] that always wins with his friends despite his best efforts to be fair and light-hearted about it. It seems not taking the game seriously and winning anyway makes people angrier. I'd be a lot more into the game if people could just play for the sake of it; competitiveness and bitterness just makes me refuse to play with someone any further.

The concept of mains applies more to who I just play a lot rather than who I am best with.

N64:
Samus
Capt. Falcon

GC:
Mr. Game & Watch
Samus
Capt. Falcon
Luigi
Ganondorf

Brawl:
Samus
Wario
Mr. Game & Watch
Luigi

JayDubLU
02-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Thread needs more Master Hand.. and some Crazy Hand, too. I bet they love slapping each other with someone in the way...

http://imgboot.com/images/JudasWorker1807/clapclapswatt.png
~~~~~~~~~~

Out of habit, I pick either Mario or Ice Climbers everytime I start off a day playing either 64 or Melee. Sad thing is that I only played Brawl once...

KumatoraKazooie
03-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Looking forward to SSB4! Hopefully the internet play will be a lot better than in Brawl. I hope we get more female fighters and a playable 3rd-gen Pokemon. I really would like to see Blaziken!

As for my mains, I usually use Kirby, Pikachu or the Ice Climbers.