PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Improvements to Character Pages

cosmic
02-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Hey, sorry if there's been a thread for this already, but this is something I'd really like to discuss

Here's some suggestions to change and improve the character page feature of the site

Better overall layout. (The current layout looks like submission page and it would be better if there was a more dedicated bio feel about it, like it's not just a recycled layout, as I feel that takes away from page)
Image gallery, images either are uploaded or populated from submissions on the site
Better/more detailed survey/infoboxes to fill out (basically more varied info boxes to fill out, and possibly custom boxes)
Character connections links, like boyfriend/mother/best friend (would need to be confirmed if the character is owned by another person)(connected characters would have their own section or tab)

if anyone has any other ideas, I'll add em to the list

Mayhem
02-25-2013, 09:48 AM
I like the ideas, Some of them I said at my thread (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1980-Suggestion-Character-Tagging-IN-artwork) but I like how condensed your post is. I guess I will copy paste it here that concerns character pages. I dont think its good to keep making multible threads with the same stuff thats already been said. So lets all just use this thread

1. We know a lot of artist end up drawing their character a lot and it would be nice if we could have an option when submitting artwork of our own character that we can tag our own pre-made character and all the tags from that character would automatically go in.

So like mine for instance, instead of typing out all those tags for my character Mayhem.
There would be an option where I click that its Mayhem, All those tags from his description would automatically go in.

It would be nice to be able to add other peoples characters tags too an easier way, but I cant think of an easy way to do that since they are linked to the account uploading the art.

2. A second idea that spawned off this when I was writing this. If we did have this option to tag our character in our artwork, it would be pretty awesome if that new piece of artwork showed up on the character page at the bottom. Kind of like creating your own gallery for that character.
That would also be fun for people viewing our artwork, if they looked at your character they would see a bunch of work at the bottom of what you have already drawn of him/her.

3. I think we should have a few custom fields on it so we might be able to add even more interesting things about our character,
or maybe a custom banner or something on that page too

4. A custom icon on that page for them, like a little 100x100 lil icon image of them. (or it can be the cropped one that you use for your main image, but I like the idea of having the option of having another image be our icon

So Basically
Being able to use the tags we create on our character tags when we submit artwork, Maybe like tagging someone in facebook but with ours or other peoples characters
The same one as your second one, Their own personally gallery that is expanded by personal work (or other peoples work if you choose)
custom fields as you said also
Ability to choose a different icon for your character gallery and also show up in the new layout for that characters page.

Expanding on our idea of better info box. There are a lot of info character creation memes out there, I call them memes but they are really just questionnaire to help people or writers expand on their own characters. It would be cool if some of those questions make it into the line up or maybe be a separate feature. I guess if its not part of it, it can be another thing that you can fill out and it shows up "Character has filled out Shades of Grey Survey" for example and clicking it would show or expand into a field that shows all the CHARACTERS answers or info about the fields

foxboyprower
02-27-2013, 06:09 PM
I would say a better way of adding code to the description for the less tech savvy user. Flist does this very well. One of my favorites features is that it allows drop down boxes for additional info about specific aspects of a character. These drop down boxes can even be stacked inside each other allowing for a network of detailed info to be arranged in their description. If you haven't seen the way Flist arranges a character profile, I highly recommend checking it out. It's very well done.

Mayhem
02-28-2013, 03:16 PM
I would say a better way of adding code to the description for the less tech savvy user. Flist does this very well. One of my favorites features is that it allows drop down boxes for additional info about specific aspects of a character. These drop down boxes can even be stacked inside each other allowing for a network of detailed info to be arranged in their description. If you haven't seen the way Flist arranges a character profile, I highly recommend checking it out. It's very well done.

Id rather have custom box over drop downs. Also with drop downs that means that the site admins would have to try to figure out EVERY SINGLE answer you might need. Which most the times with most of them dont quite cover it for me. Dont need much tech savvy to just fill in blanks or add custom boxes. Custom boxes you just have two boxes most the time. You put what you want to answer in the first box and the answer in the second. ! Who are you, 2. Aaron.

I have seen the drop boxes on flist and seen what sofurry uses, sofurry being the worst about it. Either way you have to wade though all this stuff just to find what you want.

Although I would like it if you could at least copy and paste tags. At least then I wouldn't have to keep retypibg the same list of tags per character

foxboyprower
03-12-2013, 01:58 AM
Also with drop downs that means that the site admins would have to try to figure out EVERY SINGLE answer you might need.
I'm guessing you've never used flist profile before. I don't know what kind of drop down boxes you're talking about, but these have no limits to what is put in them. This is the profile of a pal of mine (http://www.f-list.net/c/refa%20para%20dul). It's a great way to organize information when there is a lot of details.
I'll be honest, I'm unfamiliar with this custom boxes concept.

I agree having the ability to copy and paste tags would be handy. Perhaps the site could remember some of our tags that we commonly use together. Although the copy and paste things sounds easier to do.