PDA

View Full Version : [OTHER] Too much Furry.

acefredfred
07-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah I know this site was probably made for furries. But for us non-furries would like our own sections to discuss and post our art.

Thanks. :)

Damian
07-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Why would you need your own section? Art is art.

Fiz
07-29-2012, 01:54 PM
While the forums have certainly attracted a lot of those in the furry fandom, it was not made "for furries". Weasyl is for all sorts of artists and art appreciators!

Non-furs are free to discuss and post their own art in the provided sections.

Ben
The site was made for all groups actually! The art forums below are free to be used by anyone. Just make a thread, and feel free to share. There's no reason everyone can't intermingle seamlessly, and we stand by that. If you're interested in increasing the diversity around here, feel free to invite users from other communities. I know I'll be doing that myself in the coming weeks/months, and I encourage users to invite everyone they know, regardless of what they affiliate themselves with (although no KKK members, if you wouldn't mind).

When the site launches however, it will be possible to filter out certain kinds of artwork, and create groups based on different interests. So if for any reason you don't want to see things like that, you'll be able to.

Fay V
There's a lot of furry art right now, but all art is supported here. if you want to post non-furry art go for it. I don't see how having your own section would be helpful except to just split the forums with many different subforums and split the community.

We have plenty of users that like a variety of things. few like furry art or anime art exclusively, so why make exclusive subforums.

Tiger
Weasyl doesn't discriminate against non-furry art. :> Or non-furries in general. Just like you'll find people on fA that don't consider themselves furries or associate themselves with the fandom. Like Aleu said, art is art and it's not like one particular kind deserves more respect/attention than another.

FishNChips
07-29-2012, 02:01 PM
There's very many non-furry submissions on FA, and Weasyl is not going to be any different. However, furry art will likely be the majority, hence the furry mascot, furry admins, furry name, and furry members.

Eminoxic
07-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah I know this site was probably made for furries. But for us non-furries would like our own sections to discuss and post our art.

I joined the minecraft server on your signature, and they have me working for them already! :cry:

Ben
07-29-2012, 02:05 PM
There's very many non-furry submissions on FA, and Weasyl is not going to be any different. However, furry art will likely be the majority, hence the furry mascot, furry admins, furry name, and furry members.

I don't feel there's anything particularly furry about Wesley, and feel as though he's more Disney-esque than a full-blown anthro. And although the name is pronounced like an animal, we do intend to stress the combining of the words "we, easy and easel" in future promotion.

I'm also personally interested in bringing on more non-furry admins in the future, to reflect the diversity and interests of more than one part of the community. We currently have about 4 staff members who aren't really furries, and would like to increase that down the road (although that isn't to say that people who are part of the furry fandom will be turned away). As the complaints with DeviantART would show, the whole art community is in need of a better comprehensive art site, not just furries, and we intend to make our site a place where everyone feels welcomed.

Ibuuyk
07-29-2012, 02:20 PM

assassfred, if you're talking about the stuff you build in the server, you can post pictures in the Minecraft thread in the Entertainment section :O. If you're talking about drawings, holy shit I didn't know you could draw. But ya, some peeps here do human art as well, it's just mostly Furry :P

I joined the minecraft server on your signature, and they have me working for them already! :cry:

Yay, that means the mutual advertisement is working :3. I got half a dozen of my server's players to come in here, and now we got one new player, the plan is working so far :O

Matt
07-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Sorry if this is effectively redundant. However

"There's very many non-furry submissions on FA, and Weasyl is not going to be any different. However, furry art will likely be the majority, hence the furry mascot, furry admins, furry name, and furry members."
"Just like you'll find people on fA that don't consider themselves furries or associate themselves with the fandom."

I think these quotes are emblematic of an inaccuracy which deserves specific address. The makeup of the site at the moment is based more on personality than policy. As I understand it, this site has no intention of being "just like" FA in much of anything, which is one of the basic reasons the admins came together to launch this site in the first place. There are areas of FA's site that wanted improvement or development. Hopefully, Weasyl can do that. At the same time, there are areas of FA that Weasyl won't be able to compete with. That's all fine. As I understand it, this site aims to be distinct and, hopefully, exceptional, and that is functionally impossible if what this site does is modeled on an idea of some sort of FA 2.0 This site is, and has to be, different.

One of these differences is pretty fundamental: FA is furry art site with an open door to non-furries. Weasyl is an art site with furries on staff. There's no dedicated policy or expectation. This isn't a furry site, because this is an art site first. As I see it, the mascot is a cartoon, the staff are diverse, the name is a cute play on words, and the members exceed categorization. There's room for interpretation and diversity, and there's little to gain in making a prediction of what will likely be the majority membership or who the site will be most attractive to. None of the policies are being built to cater to a specific audience, and claiming the site as a home to a specific group seems needlessly exclusive, as does any thought that can be simplified to an expression of "this isn't a furry site, but..." or "This is a furry site, but..."

Ultimately, in my mind, the ideas of "this site is furry" and "this site is too furry" put the members in unnecessary competition. They're divisive and bad for both individual members and site expectations. Labels are an easy avenue to stereotype, and the further this site can stay from them then the easier it will be for it to be unique and purposeful. I want this place to kick ass in reality as much as it does in my dreams, and putting members and potential members at odds can't help.

Demu
07-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Expertly written, Matt.

I'm so excited to see how Weasyl will diversify over time.

Psuedoimp
07-29-2012, 05:12 PM
I don't feel there's anything particularly furry about Wesley, and feel as though he's more Disney-esque than a full-blown anthro. And although the name is pronounced like an animal, we do intend to stress the combining of the words "we, easy and easel" in future promotion.

I'm also personally interested in bringing on more non-furry admins in the future, to reflect the diversity and interests of more than one part of the community. We currently have about 4 staff members who aren't really furries, and would like to increase that down the road (although that isn't to say that people who are part of the furry fandom will be turned away). As the complaints with DeviantART would show, the whole art community is in need of a better comprehensive art site, not just furries, and we intend to make our site a place where everyone feels welcomed.

I like this response. Gibby's comment about how it all was going to be "primarily furry" was a little off putting.
An art site going for a "general" theme shouldn't be primarily anything. I can understand having a lot of furries in the beginning due to where the advertisement was but I'm hoping to drag a few of my art friends over here soon.

Eminoxic
07-29-2012, 05:16 PM
I like this response. Gibby's comment about how it all was going to be "primarily furry" was a little off putting.
An art site going for a "general" theme shouldn't be primarily anything. I can understand having a lot of furries in the beginning due to where the advertisement was but I'm hoping to drag a few of my art friends over here soon.

Good! I feel out of place. I need more non-furry members around here!

Taw
07-29-2012, 05:17 PM

I've dragged a few of my friends over to Weasyl, people seem to be quite interested in it, which is awesome to see. :D

A big majority of the staff is furry, though we are trying to be more of a general art site, not focused primarily on furry or anything, though it's our current largest userbase so it can seem that way. Personally, I don't even draw furry art (maybe one or two pics a decade), so when the main site is up if you want a break from all the furry art feel free to peruse my gallery I suppose. :p

Psuedoimp
07-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Good! I feel out of place. I need more non-furry members around here!

I got no beef with furries or furry art, but I gotta agree that I need more people to talk about my FILTHY HYOOMAN CHARACTERS with that don't intimidate my tiny babby self esteem..

Aetius
07-29-2012, 05:37 PM
I honestly don't care if a community or website is more furry or non furry, as long as most of the people are pretty reasonable and chill.

Ibuuyk
07-29-2012, 06:00 PM
I did bring seven non-furries here so far, that oughta even the sides a bit :o

RX-149Dragonite
07-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Well obviously this site is going to be furry heavy for a bit. Weasyl was advertised mainly through FA journals, after all

Even then, there are non-furries who post on FA, like myself, and have come here.

But why turn this into an A vs. B issue anyhow? As long as we all respect each others' individual boundaries, and not ignite drama, this site will go on just fine.

Matt
07-29-2012, 06:38 PM
But why turn this into an A vs. B issue anyhow? As long as we all respect each others' individual boundaries, and not ignite drama, this site will go on just fine.

Yep. No claims made, no land lost. Let's do art.

Psuedoimp
07-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Yep. No claims made, no land lost. Let's do art.

I definitely agree - for me it's more of a community thing. I find it a lot harder to relate artistically to furry artists, and I've got this niggling fear in the back of my mind that if there's a huge contrast between furry artists and general artists (like a 10 to 1 ratio or higher?) the community would start to mimic furaffinity, and become uninviting to non-furry artists.

AtomiKamikaze
07-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Non-furry here. Sure I got some sonas, and people tend to prefer my anthros but I'm not into them like I used ta. :) Hope that evens out some odds.

But yeah, the beauty of Weasyl as people said is that it's pretty non-discriminatory based on fandom; even better, non-discriminatory on mediums either!

nakattack
07-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I got no beef with furries or furry art, but I gotta agree that I need more people to talk about my FILTHY HYOOMAN CHARACTERS with that don't intimidate my tiny babby self esteem..
Hey.. Hey.. We can talk about our filthy human characters together.
..Forever.

Despite the current furry majority [though I used to be a furry way back when!], I'm here mostly for the community. You guys seem pretty awesome [and diverse!].

FishNChips
07-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Mmmm, I was under the impression that Weasyl was a furry site, but welcomed non-furry art.

But since it's openly encouraging every kind of art, that's something I'm pleased with. :> Furaffinity was open to all kinds of art, but a lot of the community were behaving like asshats and going "this is not furry, gtfo." It's good knowing that Weasyl isn't going to have a repeat of that.

Psuedoimp
07-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Hey.. Hey.. We can talk about our filthy human characters together.
..Forever.

Yes ok I am ok with that.

acefredfred
07-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Well now that I see their is still some of a non-furry community I am at ease. Hopefully we can all be at peace between us non-furries and furries.

Great conversation boys.

Nimako
07-29-2012, 11:03 PM

I am actually quite glad to hear this!

I was worried over a facebook discussion whether or not this was going to be a mainly furry art site and wasn't quite sure if I'd be able to post stuff here and not be 'drowned out' so to speak. While I do have a few anthro-esque characters in a sense, its not something I draw exclusively and I'm not a part of any furry communities. So I'm just glad that there is room for everything and that this is primarily an art site first rather than a site catering to one niche :). Variety is good and all that junk.

Morphology
07-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Yes ok I am ok with that.

I already got a thread started encouraging people to draw environments in Critiques and Tutorials, and It'd be great if we could also get people to do threads about drawing people, scenes, cars, movement, perspective and whatnot. Ya know, elements of drawing that are universal to all fandoms.

And I'm always up for discussing characters regardless of genre. XD

Fiz
07-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Moving to Site Discussion as it is more appropriate there.

teckworks
08-01-2012, 05:02 AM
I'm not a very good furry, I still find humans attractive. :< I love drawing humans. and anthroes alike. I have a few human characters, and I even have a humanized version of one of my furry chars who poses as a Pokémon trainer on the side. Gotta love 8th dimensional (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsgoXvnStY) character swapping~ :> I don't mind the art or the content at all. If I like it, I'll admire it. If I don't like it, I'll ignore it and move on. Even if it's drawn badly...if it has a charm or humor to it, I'll like it, hence why I like all them shitty MSPaint drawings I see on the internets.

NightWolf714
08-01-2012, 10:04 AM
I honestly don't care if a community or website is more furry or non furry, as long as most of the people are pretty reasonable and chill.

I agree with this post a lot. I'm mostly just looking to chill out with other artists more. Plus, I really love that this place is furry friendly while not being a furry site. I'm a mostly furry artist, but starting to spread out into other areas so this fits nicely. But yeah, mostly just hoping for a nice hangout spot with other artists of all types. ^_^

Kazekai
08-01-2012, 11:08 AM
I don't feel there's anything particularly furry about Wesley, and feel as though he's more Disney-esque than a full-blown anthro.

So basically, full-blown anthro. :P

Ben
08-01-2012, 11:50 AM

I honestly can't remember any Disney characters outside of Robin Hood that actually resemble the "furry" characters people create. He's more akin to Chip 'n Dale, being animal sized, but wearing a shirt and being able to talk. At least, that's how we see it!

Eminoxic
08-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Well, when you think about it, even if Wesley was all anthro-mode, that still doesn't make a site a "furry site". That's like saying basketball teams with a mascot that dresses up, is actually a big team of furries. I personally think Wesley is a furball! The rest of the staff is just in denial!

http://animalshak.com/files/2012/03/mascotkansas.jpg

Judicant
08-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I would make a photographic version of Wesley, then we could see that's he's just an animal with some clothes. He's like the Geico gecko, except less nudist!

Sadly, I have seen no weasels around here to photograph. Not even at the zoo. :c

((Someone buy me a weasel I can use as a model, plz))