PDA

View Full Version : Is there a how-to guide for formatted literary submissions?

StormKitty
02-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Ha anyone put together a how-to guide for posting literary submissions originating from .rtf, .doc, or .html files without losing or screwing up the formatting?

Submit -> Literary currently only accepts .txt files. That might be acceptable if there's a way to convert from one of the above formats to bbcode, and if Weasyl's implementation of bbcode is comprehensive enough to encompass the most commonly used types of formatting.

Compose works somewhat better, but seems to have a lot of glitches and does funny things, like adding line breaks in weird places. At least that's what happened to me when I tried opening an .rtf document in OpenOffice or MS Word, and cutting-and-pasting it into the compose window (it looked fine when I first pasted it, but when I clicked 'Create New' the formatting got all messed up).

For the sake of argument, let's assume we're working with submissions that are large enough that it would be infeasible to go through them line by line to make any corrections or adjustments manually. For example, one of the stories I would like to submit is a short novel, over 50K words.

Advice or instructions on how to work around or overcome these issues would be most appreciated. Thanks!

StormKitty

Weasyl (https://www.weasyl.com/profile/stormkitty) - SoFurry (http://stormkitty.sofurry.com/) - FurAffinity (http://www.furaffinity.net/user/stormkitty/)

ShadWolf
02-23-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't think there's any way to do that currently, you would have to copy paste the text over then by hand type in the BB Code formatting to make it how you wan it to look. Very long and tiring yes, but I think that's the only way it can be done currently. You should be able to do quick formatting by highlighting what you want to format and click on one of the format buttons on the text entry page by pressing on the B, I, and U buttons.

StormKitty
02-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Having to do it by hand is a non-starter for me. I did a websearch for tools to convert rtf or html to bbcode, but the ones I found didn't work very well when I tried plugging my stories into them. Unless someone else posts with some tricks and tips I hadn't thought of, I guess I'll just have to wait and keep an eye on the Weasyl site upgrades.

Irbisgreif
02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
There's no real support for Literary submissions right now unless you want to plop in some unformatted text.

That might change in the future (I seriously hope so and the key players seem willing), but for the moment, Weasyl is an Artist's site only.

Poetigress
02-25-2013, 08:02 PM
This works on FA, so it should work here (I hope).

(Cut-and-pasted from The Furry Writer's Guide to FA (http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4206449/) -- by me, so no copyright infringement.) ;)

Okay, so you've got a file that has a lot of italics, and you need to put in BBCode. If you have MS Word (and again, other programs may have similar options, but this is the only one I use), it's actually fairly simple.

1. In Word, select "Edit" --> "Replace"

2. Click the "More" button.

3. Click "Format."

4. Select "Font."

5. Under "Font style," select "Italic"

6. Click OK.

7. Under the blank "Find what" box, it should now say "Font style: Italics." In the "Replace with" box, type the following (without any spaces): [ i ] ^ & [ /i ]

8. Replace all.

This should put the BBCode tags around all your italics. Save the file as text (under a different name) and you should be ready to go.

If you use OpenOffice instead of Word, you can follow these instructions provided by FA user Tonin:

From the find/replace window, expand the 'more options' tab and enable regular expressions. Then hit the 'format' button next to it and select italic (or whatever style you want to search for). After that enter a period and a plus sign '.+' in the search box, and an ampersand '&' in the replace box where you want the found text to be inserted, like so: [ i ] & [ /i ]

I haven't tried this in a newer version of Word, but it should work the same way.

It's not a perfect fix, and of course, it doesn't do anything as far as line breaks, spacing between paragraphs, indents, and so on, but hope this helps a little anyway.