PDA

View Full Version : Culinary chat

nanakisan
02-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Well hop to it folks. Get to sharing them tips n tricks. Recipes etc etc!

homestyle cooking is all about simplicity. Thats what i was taught by my grandmother. God rest her soul. Its also about comfort.

Making the gravy is very very simple.

2-3 table spoons of Oil,Butter,Bacon grease (This is most recommended)
1/3 cup of flour not smoothed off.

9in x 1in skillet

heat oil till its hot. then using a wooden spatula gradually add flour stiring constantly. Try to avoid letting lumps form at this point.
While stiring raise tempurature slightly.
Keep stirring. Making sure to let it rest now and then.
What we have is called the rue. This is the base for the gravy that will flavor it and thicken it.
The rue will slowly start to bubble you need to keep stirring so it doesn't stick and burn.
When the rue turns a light golden color its ready.

Find some milk and slowly pour it in mixing the rue and the milk together with a plastic whisk. The amount of milk you would need should be about half the pan.

Lower temp just slightly and keep stirring constantly do not stop if you have to. Bring the mix to a boil and around 5-10 minutes later it will start to thicken.

This is when you add things like meat. I make this gravy for biscuits and gravy and let me tell yah. mmmf is it good.
Try to avoid seasoning the gravy itself while its in the pain. instead serve it unseasoned and inform your guest they will need to season it to taste themselves. This prevents making the gravy to salty or to peppery.

good luck!

TangoDelahunt
02-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Well hop to it folks. Get to sharing them tips n tricks. Recipes etc etc!

homestyle cooking is all about simplicity. Thats what i was taught by my grandmother. God rest her soul. Its also about comfort.

Making the gravy is very very simple.

2-3 table spoons of Oil,Butter,Bacon grease (This is most recommended)
1/3 cup of flour not smoothed off.

9in x 1in skillet

heat oil till its hot. then using a wooden spatula gradually add flour stiring constantly. Try to avoid letting lumps form at this point.
While stiring raise tempurature slightly.
Keep stirring. Making sure to let it rest now and then.
What we have is called the rue. This is the base for the gravy that will flavor it and thicken it.
The rue will slowly start to bubble you need to keep stirring so it doesn't stick and burn.
When the rue turns a light golden color its ready.

Find some milk and slowly pour it in mixing the rue and the milk together with a plastic whisk. The amount of milk you would need should be about half the pan.

Lower temp just slightly and keep stirring constantly do not stop if you have to. Bring the mix to a boil and around 5-10 minutes later it will start to thicken.

This is when you add things like meat. I make this gravy for biscuits and gravy and let me tell yah. mmmf is it good.
Try to avoid seasoning the gravy itself while its in the pain. instead serve it unseasoned and inform your guest they will need to season it to taste themselves. This prevents making the gravy to salty or to peppery.

good luck!

Not really a gravy person but I passed this onto my dad who loves cooking the stuff. Thanks for the recipe! Guess I need to share one of mine.

Sanita's Backwoods Dog Roast

This is a recipe that you might use if you're ever 15 and lost in the deep swamps of Northern Florida. Since a hunting dog I stumbled upon was the only thing I had found at the time to eat I shot it, skinned it, and made a fire.

Ingredients: 1 dog
Threat of starvation.
Something to make a fire with.
An appetite that has a broad definition of what qualifies as food.

Over an open fire take several chunks of dog meat impaled on a stick and have the meat cook over the fire for about 30 minutes or until nice and charred. If you have a little salt and pepper it'll make it taste a bit better. When it's done it'll takes like bland steak. Other then that it's not bad.

Sanita

nanakisan
02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Not really a gravy person but I passed this onto my dad who loves cooking the stuff. Thanks for the recipe! Guess I need to share one of mine.

Sanita's Backwoods Dog Roast

This is a recipe that you might use if you're ever 15 and lost in the deep swamps of Northern Florida. Since a hunting dog I stumbled upon was the only thing I had found at the time to eat I shot it, skinned it, and made a fire.

Can i safely admit i actually laughed. Maybe a tad over the top for most recipes. but ehh you have to survive you gotta eat. its what god put animals on this earth for.

TangoDelahunt
02-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Can i safely admit i actually laughed. Maybe a tad over the top for most recipes. but ehh you have to survive you gotta eat. its what god put animals on this earth for.

I can laugh now but at that moment in time I was just hungry.

Sanita

nanakisan
02-21-2013, 05:50 PM
I can laugh now but at that moment in time I was just hungry.

Sanita

I agree. If you are desperate and need food. At least you made sure to honor the dog by not wasting his/her life.

TangoDelahunt
02-21-2013, 05:59 PM
I agree. If you are desperate and need food. At least you made sure to honor the dog by not wasting his/her life.

I was raised not to waste anything I hunted. However there was one raccoon my dad shot that was uncookable. As in my mom boiled it for over 3 hours trying to soft it up. That thing must have been 1,000 in raccoon years. My dad must have bagged the Highlander of raccoons.

Sanita

nanakisan
02-21-2013, 06:36 PM
I was raised not to waste anything I hunted. However there was one raccoon my dad shot that was uncookable. As in my mom boiled it for over 3 hours trying to soft it up. That thing must have been 1,000 in raccoon years. My dad must have bagged the Highlander of raccoons.

Sanita

Oh god i feel your pain! My mothers boyfriend went hunting and came back with some elk meat.....my mother couldn't cook it right and ended up making it dryer then a popcorns fart. What made it worse was that the boyfriend gave like 75% of the meat to his friend. XD So we didn't have extra to spare for my mothers failure.

TangoDelahunt
02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Oh god i feel your pain! My mothers boyfriend went hunting and came back with some elk meat.....my mother couldn't cook it right and ended up making it dryer then a popcorns fart. What made it worse was that the boyfriend gave like 75% of the meat to his friend. XD So we didn't have extra to spare for my mothers failure.

It wasn't so bad since we had half a freezer full of piney wood boar as a fall back. Yay gamy-tasting pork chops!

nanakisan
02-21-2013, 07:10 PM
it wasn't so bad since we had half a freezer full of piney wood boar as a fall back. Yay gamy-tasting pork chops!

stop making me hungry at the coffee shop!!!

TangoDelahunt
02-21-2013, 07:15 PM
stop making me hungry at the coffee shop!!!

I'm just pressing all your buttons tonight. :3

I need to get my dad's cat-faced biscuit recipe sometime. He does something weird with the dough that makes them really light and flaky.

Sanita

nanakisan
02-21-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm just pressing all your buttons tonight. :3

I need to get my dad's cat-faced biscuit recipe sometime. He does something weird with the dough that makes them really light and flaky.

Sanita

why! why must you torment me so! D8

Also yes i'd love to have that recipe if he is more then willing to share it. I'd share something from my family. However the keeper of the recipe box asked me to share only what i learned. lots of our stuff is like 60-80 years old. haha

TangoDelahunt
02-21-2013, 07:32 PM
why! why must you torment me so! D8

Also yes i'd love to have that recipe if he is more then willing to share it. I'd share something from my family. However the keeper of the recipe box asked me to share only what i learned. lots of our stuff is like 60-80 years old. haha

Sounds so familiar. My mom had a recipe for the best peanut butter candy that she unfortunately took to her grave when I was fourteen. I'll have to call my dad and get him to write down some of the things he cooks. To give you an idea of where I was raised in Florida here is an interview my dad gave to a cryptozoologist friend of mine. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqxEyAV9aG4&list=FLgj8t3EzZbOn8Zb0rDgoe5g)

Sanita

nanakisan
02-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Sounds so familiar. My mom had a recipe for the best peanut butter candy that she unfortunately took to her grave when I was fourteen. I'll have to call my dad and get him to write down some of the things he cooks. To give you an idea of where I was raised in Florida here is an interview my dad gave to a cryptozoologist friend of mine. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqxEyAV9aG4&list=FLgj8t3EzZbOn8Zb0rDgoe5g)

Sanita

o.=.o
oh wow.

Yeah one of the oldest recipes in the box i found and i seriously wished i hoarded it and kept it. was a summer sausage recipe! ugh!