PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Copy submissions from other sites.

DragonTalon
02-17-2013, 07:31 PM
This is a pie-in-the-sky idea, so not expecting it to be done, but you never know so I'm throwing it out here.

I have hundreds of submissions on FA, and moving them all here is a lot of work. Have to select images, fill in titles, keywords, ratings... it's a serious effort.

I was pondering writing some code to fetch my submissions off FA, parse it all and then upload it to Weasyl and then thought it would be a neat feature to have integrated into the site.

Age-restricted content could be accessed via a special Weasyl account or something. The more I think about it, the more I suppose that a site feature would be problematic. Oh well, I'll post it anyway. :)

I'll probably write my own script as uploading 70 chapters by hand is just too much work and I do want to have them all on here.

blaurascon
02-18-2013, 09:28 AM
I like this idea. I don't really have a lot on my FA that I'd really want to port over, but I know a lot of bigger artists do and re-uploading is gonna be a pain.

SuburbanFox
02-18-2013, 03:44 PM
I've been working on this a little bit.

Problems at the moment:
* Some art sites don't enforce the use of tags / keywords. Weasyl requires at least two relevant ones. So there'd have to be a way to fill those in.
* Rate limiting. Making too many page requests can cause an account (or IP address) to be banned from that site. As a side note, the transfer tool could be easily blocked at the whims of the other site's admin team (via an IP block).
* Proof-of-ownership / impersonation - how do you stop someone from saying "I'm (famous artist), honest! Transfer all that art to my Weasyl account"?

The last one can probably be solved by requiring the user post a journal or something containing a "magic word" (chosen by the site and different for each user). The other two I'm not so sure about...

skylerbunny
02-18-2013, 03:52 PM
You could try asking the individual who made the 'fa2ib' scripts if they can make one for Weasyl that does the same basic thing. See http://fa2ib.welcomefur.com/ ...

weykent
02-18-2013, 04:12 PM
I will at least outright say that we will not block your uploader, as I think this is a great idea.

Earthshine
02-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi, I did a quick search and didn't see this suggested yet so I apologize if this is a duplicate topic.

I think it would be extremely helpful in attracting new members if the site offered migration tools designed to assist in importing user preferences, data, submissions, etc... from other sites. Where automatic scraping isn't an option, copy-paste parsing of user-supplied lists would also be better than nothing. Here's a few more specific suggestions along these lines so you know what I mean.

Ability to import friends/watch lists from other sites.
--could scrape the other site for the lists based off a supplied username, or allow copy-paste of the list from the other site to automatically add watches/friends in bulk.
--it would be really neat if the site offered the ability to save the list of friends/watched artists who do not already have weasyl accounts to add, and then notify you with a reminder to add them if they make an account at a later time (and perhaps notify them as well when they make an account, that there are people waiting to add them as friends)
--this should probably have a confirmation page that displays all of the matches and makes you check them individually to add them or save them, in case the users' names may be taken by someone else. Obviously it's not a perfect solution, but it would help people get started faster an Weasyl, and grow the inter-connectivity of the users more rapidly to help give them a reason to use the site off the bat. Accuracy could be enhanced by cross-referencing usernames supplied by other users in the import process.

Ability to import submissions from other sites.
--Offer a plugin or scraper to download submissions with descriptions, keywords, etc... and reupload them on weasyl.

Ability to import bio/profile information from other sites.

etc.

This could give Weasyl a distinct advantage in trying to compete with other more established art sites, by removing some of the hassle of migrating to the site.

weykent
02-25-2013, 03:10 AM
merged two similar threads.

also an update for SuburbanFox since I haven't seen you around on IRC since I merged the change—weasyl has API keys now for allowing third-party projects to do these kinds of migrations without requiring the user's weasyl password.

foxboyprower
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
I had an idea yesterday that I was really proud of that I thought was relevant to this.

As pretext, I have 5 different art site accounts that I manage (because I'm obsessed with double standards and need to figure out which standard is best while giving myself a stronger online presence) I try to organize these accounts meticulously and have them arranged in the way that I feel gives the viewer the easiest experience in browsing them. Every time I upload a journal or a piece of art, it's a big headache and a huge repetitive task. However despite all of my work keeping these galleries, I don't have an offline gallery.

There is no program that stores submission files with the art file with tags, rating, description, etc. piled on top of it all stored into a nice single file that can simply be uploaded to any art site (or at least be used as an offline backup for personal record keeping). This would be a great cross website program that would allow users and artists to manage submissions galleries, journals, favorites, and perhaps even user feedback all in a single program that could eventually become like a cloud storage and backup program(like google drive) for art sites.

It could look for common parameters to 'fill in' or 'take data from' depending on if it were uploading or downloading entire galleries or single submissions from an art site. It just feels like the process I go through when uploading work is very simple and repetitive so it seems like something that could be possible for a program to do. It would certainly be just as repetitive trying to download your entire gallery and all associated submission data.

I wish I knew how to program so I could make a piece of software like this. It could help bridge the divide between the art sites.

Of course if it would be used for submissions using a single standalone file for all the submission data, at least one art website would need to start accepting these files.

So with all these art community sites being difficult to synchronize for the user, maybe something offline could be the solution.

Also I like the sound of .igal files in zipped folders.

Kitashi
03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm considering writing a Python script to help artists import their art galleries to Weasyl. Basically, it would be an automated uploader. My question to staff is, what delay between making submissions would you prefer artists use? Also, if such a restriction isn't already in place, I suggest coding staff implement a restriction on the number of submissions a user is permitted to make in a given time period. Even if I don't write this uploader, I imagine someone else could, and someone might use it to spam the site.

Thanks!

weykent
03-26-2013, 01:17 AM
merged another similar thread. kitashi, you might consider collaborating with SuburbanFox on this, since he's gotten a bit of a jump on it.

a better solution is to limit the number of submissions posted to the front page from one user. I don't really see any reason to limit the number of things someone can upload in a day.

anyway, there's not really any delay necessary. just please don't make multiple simultaneous requests and we're cool. also, be sure to set your user-agent to something that uniquely identifies your code, as well as the version of your code.

Kitashi
03-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Great, thanks for the feedback, weykent! I'll get in touch with SuburbanFox to see where he's at on this and go from there.

Reading the other replies, it looks like the program I just recently finished would be of interest to some. The program is a gallery downloader for Fur Affinity and stores submission files and submission metadata in the same organization I intend to use for the uploader. For those interested, the program and documentation can be downloaded here (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1404373/FAgalleryDownloader-v1.0.zip).

Edit: Updated at 4PM on March 26th (download v1.1.1 (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1404373/FAgalleryDownloader-v1.1.1.zip))

Dipper
03-27-2013, 12:48 PM
The biggest problem I see with the mass mover idea is this:

It would have to have login information required both for FA and Weasyl. While, yes, conceivably, you could simply open your gallery without logging in and downloading the pictures, and then uploading on Weasyl, consider this:

What if the gallery was not yours?

Someone could simply pose as a particular artist, steal their gallery, upload it on Weasyl, and begin selling it.

Part of why this hasn't happened a lot already is the chore it takes to upload images. You make it so they don't even have to log into the account, and you are asking for trouble.