PDA

View Full Version : Open Beta Was A Success!

Term
02-17-2013, 06:34 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/9043abe83baba599cef7e46585229a25/tumblr_inline_midyhuQK2v1qz4rgp.png

Hey everyone!

First off, let's just say "Wow!" Your enthusiasm to join the site exceeded even our most lofty of expectations! Since we launched our open beta period on Valentine's Day, we've received over 14,000 submissions by close to 6,000 new users at the time of this writing! We seriously cannot thank you all enough for your interest in the Weasyl experience!

As some of you have likely guessed, with this much new activity we've seen some slowdowns and other issues with site performance. Our techs have been diligently working through the weekend to correct any issues regarding site performance to keep us live, and we'd just like to take this quick moment to recognize their efforts to keep the site running as smoothly as possible. We thank them from the bottom of our hearts and thank you for your patience as we fixed these slowdowns.

With our influx of new users we've also come to realize some people may be confused with our user interface and certain features that are unique to Weasyl. Two of the most commonly asked about features are the "Collections" and "Friend" features. Please keep in mind that as we are still in beta, these features are still actively being worked on, but here is the basic premise of what these features are meant for.

First, "Collections" is intended to be a place where users can put on display work that was made for them by other Weasyl users. Commissioned and requested work, as well as fan art that you create for another user can be placed in a sub-folder on that user's page with other works made for them. Several people have expressed concern that certain users who commission work off-site from people who don't yet belong to Weasyl won't be allowed to post their work on the site, which isn't the case. While we have made the "Collection" feature to help ease navigating a profile page for art made for said user, it is not a mandatory feature. As we're still constantly working on ways to improve the feature, any and all suggestions you may have to help us improve "Collections" are greatly appreciated.

Second, the "Friend" feature is designed to be a higher tier than simply following a user. This feature requires that a request be sent and then accepted by another user. By doing so, if one user submits a piece of art which they only wish a certain group of people to see, they can check off the "friends only" box when submitting. This work will then be hidden from the public and only made available to those who have been accepted as "friends" on the artist's profile. There are many reasons why this feature may be useful, but again, if you have any suggestions for what you'd like to see from this feature, please don't hesitate to suggest something on our forums!

Finally, we'd like to extend an offer to all of you Weasyl users, both new and old. As you may have noticed, Weasyl posts on Tumblr and our forums are almost always accompanied by a picture of our mascot, Wesley, in all of his incarnations. While some of our pictures have been made by staff, we have used several works made by users on the site. We are always looking for new images of our friend Wesley to put up in those posts, so if you're interested, please let us know! Simply draw a picture of Wesley and be sure to tag that picture with "Weasyl" and "Wesley" or you can also e-mail us a link to the picture if you'd like! Once we have your permission to use that picture, we may use it in an upcoming announcement followed by a credit and link to your Weasyl page as a thanks for your effort. We hope to see a lot of great images from our wonderful artists!

As always, we hope you all continue to enjoy the Weasyl experience and be sure to follow us on Tumblr (http://weasyl.tumblr.com/) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/Weasyl), or join our forums (http://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/forum.php) if you haven't already, to keep up to date on all things Weasyl!

Artwork By Fiz (https://www.weasyl.com/profile/fiz).

TangoDelahunt
02-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Congrats on the success! Now that we are in open beta I think this site has no where to go but up. I look forward to all the new faces and new art work on this site.

Sanita

Apollyon_Unit01
02-18-2013, 05:01 PM
In terms of "collections," is it alright to include works by others who may not be on Weasyl? I apologize if it's already answered in the post but I wanted to make sure I understood what was being said.

Term
02-18-2013, 05:13 PM
In terms of "collections," is it alright to include works by others who may not be on Weasyl? I apologize if it's already answered in the post but I wanted to make sure I understood what was being said.

The collection feature only works if both the artist and the person who the art is made for are both members of Weasyl. If the artist who made the work is not on Weasyl it is acceptable for you to upload said work. Again, our collections feature is not mandatory, though we do encourage our users to use it if they can.

Sparky15756
02-18-2013, 10:43 PM
I think the open beta has been more of a success on the forum front, from what I've seen. Speaking from experience of forums, I've not seen a bigger expansion of topics/replies in such a short space of time and it's actually quite refreshing checking new posts and welcoming 15-20 new people. :3 Just a simple welcome message can go a long way :3

Nightpaws
02-19-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm glad the numbers are increasing so rapidly, and it's nice seeing so many new submissions too! I also hadn't realized that was what the "friends" feature did. I'd figured it was just a more friendly version of following.

Best update yet :thumbsup:

serbus
02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
It is really nice to see more activity on the forums especially. The community is what I go for on sites like this and I get so bored when things are slow. Its so nice to have more people to talk to!

TangoDelahunt
02-19-2013, 07:52 PM
It is really nice to see more activity on the forums especially. The community is what I go for on sites like this and I get so bored when things are slow. Its so nice to have more people to talk to!

I think that was the major complaint. Now that things are moving forward everything is picking up. I can't wait to meet new people, see new art work, and get new fans for my submissions.

Sanita

Switch
02-20-2013, 01:34 AM
Congratulations. I'm looking forward to see how Weasyl grows!

helix
02-20-2013, 05:27 AM
I'm glad I supported Weasyl from the beginning :)
It's coming along really well! Congrats folks!

benanderson
02-21-2013, 05:45 AM
I've spoken to a few people who were waiting for weasyl to open up. I was one of them to be honest. Clearly, there was a lot of people who were thinking along the same wavelength. You've created such a desireable website, thats something of an impressive feat all its own!

Pathea
02-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Congratz!
I registered the 18th, and I already love so much this site!

Vey
02-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Honestly, I'm a little confused with friends/followers.
Does friending someone also deliver all the notifications for submissions and journals that following does? Or does one have to friend and follow for that? That's a little counter-intuitive.

Tiger
02-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Honestly, I'm a little confused with friends/followers.
Does friending someone also deliver all the notifications for submissions and journals that following does? Or does one have to friend and follow for that? That's a little counter-intuitive.

The friends feature is largely about who can see what you post. You can post journals or submissions that are 'friends only" and as the words say, only your friends see that submission/journal. You don't need to be someone's friend to see what they post publicly. You need to be their friend to be able to see what they post privately. ;)

Vey
02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
But doesn't being a friend imply being a follower 99% of the time? Although… this needs some thought, to work out the logic. O_o

Also, any plans on introducing JIRA or something similarly productive for defect and suggestion tracking? If you guys are using some form of Agile methodology, JIRA will be perfect — forum will get unmanageable pretty fast once more and more people join.

Damian
02-24-2013, 02:52 AM
But doesn't being a friend imply being a follower 99% of the time? Although… this needs some thought, to work out the logic. O_o

I don't think you're quite getting it.
Friending people just means that you see the PRIVATE submissions. That is, if you go to said friend's submission page, you can see the ones that are not for public as well as the public ones. I believe if you friend AND follow then you get the updates on the private journals or submissions rather than just seeing it on their page.

Wachhund
02-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Congratz for Success :3
I have to say, I like the feeling of weasyl.
Great job!