PDA

View Full Version : #PlayStation2013

Dark
02-17-2013, 12:38 AM
With four days until The Big Reveal, Sony's certainly doing an amazing job of pulling a SEGA Does What Nintendon't.

http://i.imgur.com/mIMOLJv.png

There's more of these but I'm lazy. Discuss Sony's newest console here, too.

Dark
02-20-2013, 11:10 PM
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rele.../130221a_e.pdf

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rele.../130221b_e.pdf

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rele.../130221c_e.pdf

http://s16.postimage.org/jxujvct9x/console.png
http://s12.postimage.org/kr1exub9p/controller.png

Single chip custom processor
8 Jaguar cores x86 CPU
1.84 Teraflops GPU (18CU)

The GPU contains a unified array of 18 compute units, which collectively generate 1.84 Teraflops of processing power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two.
8GB GDDR5 176GB/s unified

Immediate Gameplay
PS4 radically reduces the lag time between players and their content. PS4 features “suspend mode” which keeps the system in a low power state while preserving the game session. The time it takes today to boot a console and load a saved game will be a thing of the past. With PS4, gamers just hit the power button again and are promptly back playing the game at the exact point where they left off. Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4.
PS4 also enables games to be downloaded or updated in the background, or even in stand-by mode. The system takes it one step further by making digital titles playable as they are being downloaded. When a player purchases a game, PS4 downloads just a fraction of the data so gamers can start playing immediately, and the rest is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay.

DUALSHOCK®4 features a light bar on the top with three color LEDs that illuminate in various colors. The light bar illuminates to match the color of characters in a game to offer a simpler, more friendly way to identify players, even when playing side by side. The light bar also changes patterns during gameplay to provide useful information to gamers, such as when a character is critically low on health or has taken major damage.

Combined with the Mono Headset that will be bundled with PS4, gamers will also be able to chat with friends playing online, while hearing sound effects from the controller in hand.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47998479&postcount=1

You Xboxers can shut up now, by the way. DualShock 4 has concave sticks.

RX-149Dragonite
02-21-2013, 12:02 AM
The no gaems 4

Dark
02-21-2013, 12:21 AM
The no gaems 4

not a psvita, sorry

Aden
02-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Any mention of launch price?

Dark
02-21-2013, 12:36 AM

Nope, not yet. Probably at E3, knowing Sony.

Can't be as high as launch PS3s, though, as there's next to no custom hardware.

Tycho
02-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Nope, not yet. Probably at E3, knowing Sony.

Can't be as high as launch PS3s, though, as there's next to no custom hardware.

watch them try to push it for over US$600 anyway

Onnes
02-21-2013, 01:39 AM
watch them try to push it for over US$600 anyway

Seeing how they are hemorrhaging money, they may have to.

Toshabi
02-21-2013, 03:44 AM
I completely didn't get the memo about this announcement. Too busy enjoying my Wii U.

Term
02-21-2013, 04:04 AM

Current speculation has it hovering somewhere around $300-$500

Toshabi
02-21-2013, 04:34 AM
I heard speculation hitting prices up to $750. My heart stopped beating for a moment.

FishNChips
02-21-2013, 04:47 AM
I hope PS4 isn't largely a case of "same, but prettier" and there's a good bunch of games that do what hasn't already been possible.

benanderson
02-21-2013, 06:04 AM
I'll take two!

But seriously - I'm really excited about the PS4. I've had consoles from the big three (MS, Nintendo, Sony) from nearly every generation starting with the Super Nintendo and the PlayStations are the only ones I havn't sold second hand a year later (apart from the afformentioned Super Nintendo as well as the Game Cube, those I've had since new).

Hopefully the price wont be too high - although the PS3 when it launched in the UK was only £425; it was justifiable considering what the PS3 could do and how expensive stand-alone blu-ray players were at the time. The PS4 should be cheaper than that as its being built around tried and tested technologies, unlike the PS3 with its then new Cell Processor design.

TL;DR
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Inq
02-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Th-... they're going to give everyone a microphone bundled with the system?

The horror, the horror. ;A;

RogueSareth
02-21-2013, 08:21 AM
So done with Playstation and Xbox and all their BS. Buying a Steambox when it comes out and probably a WiiU and otherwise sticking to PC gaming and handheld systems.

nero oxygen
02-21-2013, 09:30 AM
mmm I haven't seen a really better graphics, I hope being wrong and people who make games start to use the whole potential of PS4. I have heard also they can't do better cause economical issues... Then maybe PS4 won't be too expensive as was PS3 when they sold at the begining.

RX-149Dragonite
02-21-2013, 09:42 AM
If the price turns out to be $500+, just spring for getting a gaming computer built together instead. Unlike a console that can't be upgraded over time hardware wise, a computer can. Besides, most games that come out on Sony platforms are multiplatform anyhow, and can be played on PC, unlike Nintendo who probably holds the record for most single platform games. I built my gaming rig for $700 and it should be able to play games at high levels for the next 5 to 10 years, tops.

Tigercougar
02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I will judge the PS4 by how photorealistic GT6's graphics end up being.

benanderson
02-21-2013, 12:10 PM
So done with Playstation and Xbox and all their BS. Buying a Steambox when it comes out and probably a WiiU and otherwise sticking to PC gaming and handheld systems.
You say you're done with the Sony and XBOX BS yet you're considering teh Wii U? Thats the worst offender of the lot, charging an extortionate amount of money for something that would've been considered outdated three years ago.

The Steam Box?
HA HA.
Dude, its a Steam branded Linux PC, with the only model actually worth buying (with a decent graphics card and processor, which whats his face at valve called the "Best") costing just as much if not more than an actual gaming PC at around £800+.

Just build a silent running gaming PC and stick it under your TV. You'd save money and get the same experiance.

If the price turns out to be $500+, just spring for getting a gaming computer built together instead. Unlike a console that can't be upgraded over time hardware wise, a computer can. Besides, most games that come out on Sony platforms are multiplatform anyhow, and can be played on PC, unlike Nintendo who probably holds the record for most single platform games. I built my gaming rig for $700 and it should be able to play games at high levels for the next 5 to 10 years, tops.

A $700 rig wont be able to handle intense graphical games at a decent frame rate for the next 5 to 10 years. No way in hell. Unless you somehow got a $800 graphics card for free, then you will not be using the system as it currently stands 5 years from now, let alone 10, and still acheiving maximum detail settings with decent frame rates.

Plus, the PS4 will be sporting 8GB of GDDR5 Memory and 8 cores of processing power. The memory speed alone beats any gaming PC around the face with a steel trudgen.

Toshabi
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Personally, I'm absolutely fine with the ps3 right now. It's hard to really imagine what new things they can do with the ps4 other than faster load times and prettier graphics. I'm all for lovelier looking games, but I find the ps3 to be at a graphical happy point for me. We just have to buckle down and see the new features that come with a new console.

RX-149Dragonite
02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
A $700 rig wont be able to handle intense graphical games at a decent frame rate for the next 5 to 10 years. No way in hell. Unless you somehow got a $800 graphics card for free, then you will not be using the system as it currently stands 5 years from now, let alone 10, and still acheiving maximum detail settings with decent frame rates.

Uh... yeah, you can. I've done it before.

Plus, the PS4 will be sporting 8GB of GDDR5 Memory and 8 cores of processing power. The memory speed alone beats any gaming PC around the face with a steel trudgen.

8 cores doesn't mean much. Most of the 8 core processors on the market are actually worse than quad cores of a similar price. Not to mention the memory speed doesn't mean much when games don't even use that fast of memory speed yet.

Unburnt Daenerys
02-21-2013, 03:22 PM

I've got 16 GB of DDR3 in my PC. Cost me about $70.

RX-149Dragonite
02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
I've got 16 GB of DDR3 in my PC. Cost me about $70.

inb4 b-b-b-but it isn't GDDR5

GDDR5 is great but nothing needs memory speeds that fast yet.

RogueSareth
02-23-2013, 01:29 AM
You say you're done with the Sony and XBOX BS yet you're considering teh Wii U? Thats the worst offender of the lot, charging an extortionate amount of money for something that would've been considered outdated three years ago.

The Steam Box?
HA HA.
Dude, its a Steam branded Linux PC, with the only model actually worth buying (with a decent graphics card and processor, which whats his face at valve called the "Best") costing just as much if not more than an actual gaming PC at around £800+.

Just build a silent running gaming PC and stick it under your TV. You'd save money and get the same experiance.

You'd probably be right about the PC, which is actually being put together at this moment ( FINALLY)
I haven't heard much about Nintendo pulling any shady shit like whats possibly going on with the XBox 720 ( not being able to buy used games, the code thing ect) do you have a link to anything so I know if I should be questioning Nintendo as well?

Either way, most of the xbox and PS games don't appeal to me right now. I'm not one for military/FPS games but I like a lot of whats Steam has up and I'm a sucker for pokemon so..

ShadWolf
02-23-2013, 02:22 AM
If they had released something like this 20 years ago I doubt people would be so bitchy about what it could do, because back then people were just fascinated about computers and how they work. We don't know for certain what the PS4 is capable yet, but sure does looks like it's got more higher ground than it's predecessors.

No idea what Microsoft is yet to reveal either yet, but I suppose they be announcing for the next xbox on the market at E3 2013, and their SmartGlass they talked about last year at E3 2012.

Very few games they showed at that small presentation they just had, but I bet they've got more and they just weren't ready to release the full content that's yet to come. Some games even had my interest, I was very interested in WatchDogs, looks very much like GTA, but more advanced world where you're in control of everything around you to do whatever you want.

I would probably stick with Wii U till I can be certain there will be more decent games to come to it yet, which there probably most likely will, I can probably imagine some already announced games from last year's E3 show.