PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon

Matt
07-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Why is Bidoof the best pokemon?

http://img.pokemondb.net/artwork/bidoof.jpg

Q.E.D.

Secondarily, I guess this would be a good place for a broad Pokemon fandom thread. How do you get Mew?

Kitten
07-28-2012, 06:39 PM
You get Mew by saving at Lavender town, going west until you hit the last gambler, hit start right as he spots you for battle, fly to Cerulean City, go north and fight the youngster with the Slowpoke, and then... I believe you simply fly back to Lavender Town and walk one block west. It's been a few years since I've done it, though.

Judicant
07-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Why would you want to get Mew when you can easily just get a *insert ghost here*?

I mean let's face it, ghosts man.

Ibuuyk
07-28-2012, 07:09 PM
You get Mew by saving at Lavender town, going west until you hit the last gambler, hit start right as he spots you for battle, fly to Cerulean City, go north and fight the youngster with the Slowpoke, and then... I believe you simply fly back to Lavender Town and walk one block west. It's been a few years since I've done it, though.

Actually, when you hit start and fly to Cerulean, you won't be able to bring out your start menu anymore, so you'll have to walk all the way back through the dark cave. Without flash.

Kitten
07-28-2012, 07:12 PM
I remember getting Mew by flying back. :/

Ibuuyk
07-28-2012, 07:28 PM
I remember getting Mew by flying back. :/

Which game was it :o?

Kitten
07-28-2012, 07:31 PM
I remember doing it in Blue Version, I for sure didn't have to go through a cave, I definitely flew right back to Lavender Town and fought a level five Mew after taking one step into the route west of it.

Tiger
07-28-2012, 07:34 PM
I've gotten the Blue version Mew a different way.

Go to Cerulean city and walk into the patch of grass just west of nugget bridge. Catch an Abra. Then walk into the Line-of-sight of the youngster and press the "start" button -exactly- when the exclamation point comes up over his head. So instead of fighting, your start menu is open and you then use "teleport". Walk back up Nugget Bridge and on the bridge you will encounter Mew.

Kitten
07-28-2012, 07:35 PM
The glitches and exploitable bugs gave Blue and Red a lot of charm, imo. I never got any Pokemon games after them (besides many years later) so my many many hours with Blue Version are quite treasured.

Littlerock
07-28-2012, 07:41 PM

Go to Cerulean city and walk into the patch of grass just west of nugget bridge. Catch an Abra. Then walk into the Line-of-sight of the youngster and press the "start" button -exactly- when the exclamation point comes up over his head. So instead of fighting, your start menu is open and you then use "teleport". Walk back up Nugget Bridge and on the bridge you will encounter Mew.
Yep this is the one I used in Red version. Cart too, not a rom/emu :0

FishNChips
07-28-2012, 08:04 PM

MEW WAS ACTUALLY A THING?

I always thought that he was a myth and only had a movie appearance.

I am sad now.

My life is meaningless.

Kitten
07-28-2012, 08:05 PM
They need to make a Pokemon movie centered around MISSINGNO., please make that be a thing eventually

Littlerock
07-28-2012, 08:17 PM
They need to make a Pokemon movie centered around MISSINGNO., please make that be a thing eventually

oh god yes

It needs to be a horror film too, maybe like the Blob, only made of pokemon?
http://paulrobertson.mechafetus.com/missingno_b.png

Ibuuyk
07-28-2012, 08:48 PM

I am sad now.

My life is meaningless.

D=. Poor you, not having a childhood ;;

AtomiKamikaze
07-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Those were the days. Glitch City, MissingNo, and the Mew glitch. I still religiously buy the new games, but none quite have the 8-bit charm of R/B/Y/G. Or any bugs. :P

Tiger
07-28-2012, 09:42 PM

I am sad now.

My life is meaningless.

Sometimes you can get Mew and other rare legendaries through Nintendo Wi-fi events.

Or be lucky like my friend and buy I used version of SoulSilver and end up with Mew, Celebi, a shiny arcanine, and some other legendaries. I was/am INTENSELY jealous :c

Ya the GBC first gen games always have a place in my heart. I loved the Missigno glitch, the lvl 362 Pokemon, Fuschia city glitch, etc. So easy to take advantage of :3

boogans
07-29-2012, 03:54 AM

What about Pokemon 3: the Movie?

Karmarsi
07-29-2012, 11:50 AM
I like how the subject was Mew. What a star XD I got mine from going left of Lavendar, walking in front and flying from the gambler near the underground house, going to cerulean, fighting the youngster with a slowpoke near bills house, then going back to Lavendar town. Boom! Mew! What fun.
I was scared out of my wits the first time I saw MissingNo and M'. First I was amazed then my game decided to play like an off key orcastra! D:

Tiger
07-29-2012, 01:00 PM
I like how the subject was Mew. What a star XD I got mine from going left of Lavendar, walking in front and flying from the gambler near the underground house, going to cerulean, fighting the youngster with a slowpoke near bills house, then going back to Lavendar town. Boom! Mew! What fun.
I was scared out of my wits the first time I saw MissingNo and M'. First I was amazed then my game decided to play like an off key orcastra! D:

That's so interesting; I never heard of getting Mew through Lavender town. :o

Also, ya, M' and Missingo and the lvl 326 Pokemon can corrupt your game :c Happened to my friend's gold version D:

Matt
07-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I hadn't realized any of these methods actually worked. I've been under the impression that they were all lies since 6th grade. I'm going to have to find my game boy color. Glitching the hell out of games brings me joy.

How do you catch Bidoof in Pokemon Red?

Tiger
07-29-2012, 01:14 PM
I hadn't realized any of these methods actually worked. I've been under the impression that they were all lies since 6th grade. I'm going to have to find my game boy color. Glitching the hell out of games brings me joy.

How do you catch Bidoof in Pokemon Red?

Bidoof wasn't introduced till Gen 4 so it won't be on Red or FireRed :>

Ratte
07-29-2012, 02:56 PM
That's so interesting; I never heard of getting Mew through Lavender town. :o

Also, ya, M' and Missingo and the lvl 326 Pokemon can corrupt your game :c Happened to my friend's gold version D:

Pretty much any missingno outside of R/B would fuck your game up. Also I remember derping around in Blue and I decided to catch an M' to see what happened. Eventually I couldn't ride my bike anymore but I could somehow use pokeballs outside of battle. It would look like you threw a pokeball in battle and your sprite would disappear and play a weird jingle, and then you'd see "Wild DITTO has been caught!" Lolwut.

Aetius
07-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Anyone else use the missingno glitch to duplicate a maximum amount of rare candies?

Or how about using the trade glitch to duplicate an army of mewtwos?

Kitten
07-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Infinite master balls, nuggets, and rare candy erryday

Tiger
07-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Name your character DxDyDz and when performing the Missingo trick you will encounter a lvl 326 Mewtwo. However as soon as you use it in battle, it will drop down to lvl 100.

Also Kangaskhan is my favorite Pokemon and I love having one that can fly. xD

Aetius
07-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Also Kangaskhan is my favorite Pokemon and I love having one that can fly. xD

Wait, is that a glitch or was it created on purpose?

Tiger
07-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Wait, is that a glitch or was it created on purpose?

Glitch.

If you perform the Missingo glitch and capture it, it is a flying/water Pokemon. It knows water gun twice, actually. And you can teach it to fly. After some battling and XP, it will evolve into a Kangaskhan, preserving the move "Fly" and you have a flying Kangaskhan!

Aetius
07-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Glitch.

If you perform the Missingo glitch and capture it, it is a flying/water Pokemon. It knows water gun twice, actually. And you can teach it to fly. After some battling and XP, it will evolve into a Kangaskhan, preserving the move "Fly" and you have a flying Kangaskhan!

Hahaha, a flying kangaskhan that shoots water, that is magical.

Tiger
07-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Hahaha, a flying kangaskhan that shoots water, that is magical.

Ya, I love hooking my Blue Version to Pokemon Stadium 2 for the N64 and watching my Kangaskhan legit fly.

Aetius
07-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Ya, I love hooking my Blue Version to Pokemon Stadium 2 for the N64 and watching my Kangaskhan legit fly.

Holy shit, I need to find a video for this now.

nakattack
07-29-2012, 04:09 PM
I was playing Pokemon Stadium yesterday and I'm pretty sure the movesets given to the Pokemon aren't possible to learn in any handheld Pokemon game.

Tiger
07-29-2012, 04:15 PM
I was playing Pokemon Stadium yesterday and I'm pretty sure the movesets given to the Pokemon aren't possible to learn in any handheld Pokemon game.

Agreed! Plus all the default Pokemon you could choose form tended to have bad move combos in general or are whacky.
If I remember correctly, Magby had far better moves than the Magmar. I think a lot of pre-evolutions had better moves than the finals.

I also think part of the reason the default ones you could choose from were fairly crappy was to encourage players to lvl their own Pokemon on their own GBC games.

Matt
07-29-2012, 04:21 PM
I remember catching a level 255 Cloyster doing the missingno glitch, but I don't think it went down to 100 until it leveled up. I need to remember shit better. You never know when conversations like this will happen.

Tiger
07-29-2012, 04:30 PM
I remember catching a level 255 Cloyster doing the missingno glitch, but I don't think it went down to 100 until it leveled up. I need to remember shit better. You never know when conversations like this will happen.

Actually, you may be right. I can't recall if it's with just XP or if it has to level. I'ma check it out.

Aetius
07-29-2012, 04:58 PM

Im still trying to find my way into the "glitch city".

Tiger
07-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Im still trying to find my way into the "glitch city".

Here's a little guide- http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Glitch_City

Fiz
07-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Blue and Red were so easy to break.

V7vtWnoYTi8

Here's me abusing the Missingno. Glitch and the Ditto Glitch to the point the game crashes.

Aetius
07-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Here's a little guide- http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Glitch_City

hmmm, never looked for a guide. Well this should help me, thanks!

ChitterBox
07-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Red and Blue were amazingly fun games to see just how badly you could break them. I didn't know of any glitches when I played them, but I did have a Game Genie. I remember hacking my Red game so hard the music refuses to play properly anymore. The tunes are always slightly off key thanks to that.

Littlerock
07-29-2012, 09:29 PM

Functional glitches are most satisfying when you get to see them on the bigscreen |D
I have a ditto that knows surf (g/s/c), and seeing the attack actually work is just totally priceless.

Drifloon
07-30-2012, 06:55 AM
A boy in my primary school said that Missingno was going to appear in the anime. Also, I remember being scared of the lv250 Golduck and my brother used my fear of it to his advantage (I was 10 at the time lol)

Ratte
07-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Anyone else use the missingno glitch to duplicate a maximum amount of rare candies?

Or how about using the trade glitch to duplicate an army of mewtwos?

I did the first one so much omg. I couldn't do the second one since I had no friends. :V

ALL THE GLITCHES FEED ME GLITCHES

Damian
07-30-2012, 10:07 AM
What about Pokemon 3: the Movie?

That was Unknown. Not Missingno

Zalcoti
10-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Ah that reminds me. I had a Charizard that accidentally learned surf after I did the surfing Pikachu minigame in Yellow. I used it in Stadium and it was so funny to see a wave come up from under this thing.

RX-149Dragonite
10-09-2012, 10:40 AM
As much as I love to nostalgiafag, I want to break up the Red/Blue talk

So, who else got Black 2 or White 2? Anyone?

Tiger
10-09-2012, 01:15 PM
As much as I love to nostalgiafag, I want to break up the Red/Blue talk

So, who else got Black 2 or White 2? Anyone?

Black 2. I AM IN LOVE. I love the variety of Pokemon you can catch in the start, the plot, and especially the Free Space option in the Bag. I've been playing it pretty much non-stop, unfortunately I have homework so I gotta take a break from it. :c

RX-149Dragonite
10-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Black 2. I AM IN LOVE. I love the variety of Pokemon you can catch in the start, the plot, and especially the Free Space option in the Bag. I've been playing it pretty much non-stop, unfortunately I have homework so I gotta take a break from it. :c

We're in the same boat, hahaha. I plan on playing it over the weekend a lot.

Lizard King
10-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Did Nintendo run out of colours when they were naming the most recent games or what?

Kazekai
10-09-2012, 02:35 PM
I stopped playing the main Pokemon games because of events and how stupid it is that you can't 100% a game without them. I couldn't even get Mew in LeafGreen.

Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs had my attention before I sent it back and Pokepark 2 was an enjoyable break from turn-based battles.

Unburnt Daenerys
10-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I've got White 2, just past the first gym. My team is Oshawott, Mareep, and Riolu. Really liking the variety and the pokedex feature that shows all pokemon in an area.

RX-149Dragonite
10-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Did Nintendo run out of colours when they were naming the most recent games or what?

If you played the games you would see why GAME FREAK (note: Not Nintendo) named them Black and White.

I stopped playing the main Pokemon games because of events and how stupid it is that you can't 100% a game without them. I couldn't even get Mew in LeafGreen.

You couldn't 100% the Pokedex in any Pokemon game without events. Mew was event only in Red/Blue/Yellow, although people got around that with the various Mew glitches, but those aren't legitimate.

In Gold/Silver/Crystal, unless you had a Japanese friend and a really long trade cable, Celebi was unobtainable, since the G/S Ball never was brought over to the US, along with a few other things.

Arceus, for the longest time, remained unattainable during the D/P/Pt years. Arceus could be obtained if you had the Azure Flute, which was an event only item, but Game Freak never chose to release it to this day. Fortunately, Toy's R Us and other events distributed Arceus, but the mystery of the Azure Flute lives on.

Zalcoti
10-09-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm still playing White. White 2 won't be in my hands until December so I'll miss out on Genesect. =C I wish they gave it out on all 4 games.

Lizard King
10-09-2012, 06:28 PM
If you played the games you would see why GAME FREAK (note: Not Nintendo) named them Black and White.

I'm referring to the fact they were called "Black & White 2", instead of Chocolate and Butterscotch or whatever.

RX-149Dragonite
10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm referring to the fact they were called "Black & White 2", instead of Chocolate and Butterscotch or whatever.

Ah. Well, Gold and Silver were originally named Pokemon 2 during the beta, as seen in screenshots and old magazine scans. Also, the fact that this is a direct sequel to B/W is a reason too.

Kazekai
10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
You couldn't 100% the Pokedex in any Pokemon game without events. Mew was event only in Red/Blue/Yellow, although people got around that with the various Mew glitches, but those aren't legitimate.

In Gold/Silver/Crystal, unless you had a Japanese friend and a really long trade cable, Celebi was unobtainable, since the G/S Ball never was brought over to the US, along with a few other things.

Arceus, for the longest time, remained unattainable during the D/P/Pt years. Arceus could be obtained if you had the Azure Flute, which was an event only item, but Game Freak never chose to release it to this day. Fortunately, Toy's R Us and other events distributed Arceus, but the mystery of the Azure Flute lives on.

Yeah, that's pretty shitty. The good news is most of the spinoffs don't have events, so it is possible to 100% them when you buy them later or restart your game.

The good thing about playing older Pokemon games now is that any computer can run an emulator and every emulator has an Action Replay ROM. >:3

RX-149Dragonite
10-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah, that's pretty shitty. The good news is most of the spinoffs don't have events, so it is possible to 100% them when you buy them later or restart your game.

The good thing about playing older Pokemon games now is that any computer can run an emulator and every emulator has an Action Replay ROM. >:3

I personally don't see why 100% the Pokedex is important. I rather battle competitively anyhow.

Tiger
10-09-2012, 10:10 PM

I feel ya, I missed a few events and am kicking myself in the head such as Arceus, and getting lvl 100 Reshiram. I did get a shiny Celebi from one of my classmates, though, which is cool. I do have Keldeo and really want Genesect. My freind got lucky and bought SoulSilver sued and got a Mew (A -MEW-), a shit ton of legendaries, and a shiny Arcanine. The only shiny I've ever had is my Spring Deerling, Karl.

Also, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games kind of have an event thing. You can (maybe have to) to use passwords/mail codes or whatever to get certain Pokemon. I believe Lapras and Feebas have passwords to get them, can't recall if you can egt them in game. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd love action replay for certain games, but I could never do it with Pokemon. I like having the bragging rights to say, "I caught this Larvitar and trained it to evolve into Tyranitar and got it to lvl 100 all myself". But that's just me, I do know quite a few people like to play with Action Replay. I believe that's one way to get Pokemon with Dream World abilities. But I've never used it before so I don't know much.

RX-149Dragonite
10-09-2012, 10:45 PM
I did get a shiny Celebi from one of my classmates, though, which is cool.

Erm, it's physically impossible to get a shiny Celebi legitimately.

You got scam'd, broski.

Tiger
10-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Erm, it's physically impossible to get a shiny Celebi legitimately.

You got scam'd, broski.

Really? I didn't know that. 'Sall good though, I think it's pretty cute as pink. Plus I was just giving her Pokerus so I didn't lose any rare/powerful Pokemon.

RX-149Dragonite
10-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Really? I didn't know that. 'Sall good though, I think it's pretty cute as pink. Plus I was just giving her Pokerus so I didn't lose any rare/powerful Pokemon.

Yeah, Celebi, Arceus, and I believe the Unova dragon trio are the only Pokemon who cannot be shiny normally. They only included their shiny forms so that if someone hacked them into the games, they wouldn't crash due to not having a shiny sprite on file.

Kazekai
10-12-2012, 01:03 AM
I personally don't see why 100% the Pokedex is important. I rather battle competitively anyhow.

I'm not a competitive gamer at all, I'm a completionist that likes to finish all of the games that I play so something like this would bother me.

Battling competitively has been made easier with online in the past few years for the people who do enjoy it though, which is nice.

FishNChips
10-12-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm not a competitive gamer at all, I'm a completionist that likes to finish all of the games that I play so something like this would bother me.

Battling competitively has been made easier with online in the past few years for the people who do enjoy it though, which is nice.

I agree with this, I've been kind of put off from Pokémon lately due to all the exclusive/event Pokémon and stuff. Nowadays the only way to truly catch 'em all is with the power of hax.

It really kills off the spirit of the first couple of games, in my opinion. Now the whole Pokédex thing just feels pointless.

RX-149Dragonite
10-12-2012, 10:21 AM
I agree with this, I've been kind of put off from Pokémon lately due to all the exclusive/event Pokémon and stuff. Nowadays the only way to truly catch 'em all is with the power of hax.

It was always like that. You could never get Mew or Celebi legitimately without either going to a real world event or having a Japanese Crystal version.

Besides, in the generation of Wi-fi trading over the Internet, it's fully possible to "catch them all".

Also, it took me until Gen 3 till I could fill up just the Regional Pokedex in Emerald version, and I had to use Pokemon XD and Leafgreen to get Pokemon I couldn't in Emerald.

It's just how Pokemon works. If you really want to fill up the Pokedexes, buy more games.

Judicant
10-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Psh, who actually tries to fill up pokedexs? :v

I still have fun with Pokemon, but I like to change it up every time I play. I try to choose pokemon based on what I like, and not what I think are 'the best' on the initial playthrough, and use ones that I haven't used in other playthroughs.

Like in Black 2, so far I have a snivy, riolu, psyduck (god why), growlithe (why I've never used one, idk), and magnemite. Haven't found something I want to used for the sixth in my team yet, I have an Eevee but TO HELL WITH THAT.

RX-149Dragonite
10-12-2012, 02:09 PM
I have an Eevee but TO HELL WITH THAT.

Eevee2mainstream

Tiger
10-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Psh, who actually tries to fill up pokedexs? :v

I still have fun with Pokemon, but I like to change it up every time I play. I try to choose pokemon based on what I like, and not what I think are 'the best' on the initial playthrough, and use ones that I haven't used in other playthroughs.

Like in Black 2, so far I have a snivy, riolu, psyduck (god why), growlithe (why I've never used one, idk), and magnemite. Haven't found something I want to used for the sixth in my team yet, I have an Eevee but TO HELL WITH THAT.

I have a Growlithe, too, and a Lucario. I had a magnemite, ended up with a Eelektrik instead, and I chose Oshawott. Word of advice, if you plan on raising the Growlithe further, don't evolve it till level 39 so it will learn Crunch, otherwise it'll have Bite. Of course, Crunch is just one of my choice moves for it, it does have some other good move choices, too.

Where did you get the Eevee? I've missed it, it seems.

RX-149Dragonite
10-14-2012, 03:44 PM
I've finally got a full team for my Black 2 via Mystery Eggs.

I got a Combusken, Houndour, Gyarados, Gulpin, Zangoose, and a Pachirisu. Everybody is about level 25, and I'm leaving Nimbasa City.

Tiger
10-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Found a trainer named Wesley. Just sayin'.

Unburnt Daenerys
10-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Just beat Elesa! I've got Dewott, Growlithe, Lucario, Trapinch, and Sigilyph. Holy crap, Sigilyph kicks so much ass.

- - - Updated - - -

also my DS is starting to crack ;-; Looks like I might have to get a replacement soon.

Hlavco
11-05-2012, 01:15 AM
I consider using the glitches on Red/Blue to get a mew to be a legitimate method, because you're not using any outside tools or cheating devices to do it. It's just something the game lets you do, whether the designers wanted it that way or not.

The new games, though? Too many legendaries. There's gotta be like a dozen in Black and White, between the plotline and the real-world events. I liked the way Red and Blue did it, they let the fully-evolved starters have the covers of the games, and didn't say a peep about the legendaries. This allowed them to remain legendary, as you had to rely on your own exploration or trust your friends' wild playground rumors to find out they existed, how to get them, what was under that truck (it's pikablu!), etc.

In regards to Black 2 and White 2, I don't have it yet. Waiting till Christmas and still working on finishing Black 1. I'm on Victory Road now.